PDA

View Full Version : JRB stealth or BPL UL60?

roadrunner
02-06-2009, 14:36
Not sure where to post this, so I'll try here since my question is for a HH.
I am looking for a top quilt and wondering about how the JRB stealth and the backpacking light UL60 or PRO 90 would compare. Anybody have or used both and can compare?

I like that the stealth could do double duty as an UQ, where the BPL option would probably need some modification.

By the way, I am in Tx so I don't have extreme cold to deal with.

Thoughts?

drewboy
02-06-2009, 16:45
I'd definitely go with the stealth unless you expect to have a lot of very wet conditions. In that case a synthetic might give you more warmth when wet. You might find the footbox in the BPL quilt a bit more restrictive too.

Not sure where to post this, so I'll try here since my question is for a HH.
I am looking for a top quilt and wondering about how the JRB stealth and the backpacking light UL60 or PRO 90 would compare. Anybody have or used both and can compare?

I like that the stealth could do double duty as an UQ, where the BPL option would probably need some modification.

By the way, I am in Tx so I don't have extreme cold to deal with.

Thoughts?

ringtail-THFKAfood
02-06-2009, 17:10
I have both. The Stealth is lighter and warmer.

roadrunner
02-06-2009, 17:50
awesome!
thanks for the quick replies.

BillyBob58
02-06-2009, 18:22
I have both. The Stealth is lighter and warmer.

Isn't the Stealth roomier also? I had one of the BPL UL180 quilts, but I returned it. It just didn't seem roomy enough or warm enough to me, especially relative to the price. I kept the Cocoon clothing I got at the same time. Though I thought it was too expensive, it has been excellent gear.

roadrunner
02-07-2009, 01:38
Isn't the Stealth roomier also? I had one of the BPL UL180 quilts, but I returned it. It just didn't seem roomy enough or warm enough to me, especially no relative to the price. I kept the Cocoon clothing I got at the same time. Though I thought it was too expensive, it has been excellent gear.

thanks for the input... I really appreciate people willing to share their experience.. very helpful when you are looking at dropping some decent coin for a product.

ringtail-THFKAfood
02-08-2009, 12:45
BillyBob,

I got the BPL180 on deep discount. Otherwise I would have returned it.

The BPL180 footbox is too long, but it is wider at the shoulder than the Stealth. Girth/width is important for a side sleeper on the ground. The Stealth is plenty wide for hammock sleeping.

If I lost my gear in a natural disaster, I would replace the Stealth, but not the BPL180.

roadrunner
02-08-2009, 14:51
BillyBob,

I got the BPL180 on deep discount. Otherwise I would have returned it.

The BPL180 footbox is too long, but it is wider at the shoulder than the Stealth. Girth/width is important for a side sleeper on the ground. The Stealth is plenty wide for hammock sleeping.

If I lost my gear in a natural disaster, I would replace the Stealth, but not the BPL180.

thanks... I'm gonna put an order in for the stealth...

Chrisp70
02-09-2009, 18:28
What part of Texas, I stick with synthetics due to humidity over hear in South East Texas.

roadrunner
02-10-2009, 09:40
What part of Texas, I stick with synthetics due to humidity over hear in South East Texas.

I'm over near Austin... so not quite as sticky as you. A good point...
So, what works for you?

amac
07-21-2009, 21:44
For those of you who have/had the BPL 180, what is the loft and how small does it pack? I am currently considering a new quilt, the JRB No Sniveller and BPL 180 are my top contenders. I really like the No Sniveller's wearable feature and that it packs real small, but it's down (am concerned about humidity). I like BPL 180's lighter weight (by 3 oz) and cheaper price (by $40). Any comments would be welcome.

Peter_pan
07-22-2009, 08:38
For those of you who have/had the BPL 180, what is the loft and how small does it pack? I am currently considering a new quilt, the JRB No Sniveller and BPL 180 are my top contenders. I really like the No Sniveller's wearable feature and that it packs real small, but it's down (am concerned about humidity). I like BPL 180's lighter weight (by 3 oz) and cheaper price (by $40). Any comments would be welcome.

Amac,

I seriously doubt that a hammocker would have a wet problem with down... But then, I'm biased.

For your reflection.

JRB Stealth will perform either as a TQ, or a UQ, and is wearable in camp as a scerape.

When in the TQ mode the footbox is generous and also ventable for wide temperture variations

The Stealth is rated to 40 degrees. and packs to the size of about 6x6x6

Pan

ringtail-THFKAfood
07-22-2009, 09:14
amac,

The Stealth is a better comparison to the BPL 180. It is lighter and warmer.

Cannibal
07-22-2009, 09:44
amac,

The Stealth is a better comparison to the BPL 180. It is lighter and warmer.
Agreed. They don't give much of a description on their site (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_ul_180_quilt.html), but this little line told me all I needed to know:

The Backpacking Light UL 180 Quilt can be used as the core component of a three-season sleep system when combined with Cocoon clothing, or by itself for summer backpacking in mild climates.

Not only is the JRB Stealth (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm) 2.5 ounces lighter, $20something less expensive, and wearable, but I bet the Jacks have one in stock. Unlike the BPL 180 which is currently out of stock. :D

Peter_pan
07-22-2009, 11:48
Agreed. They don't give much of a description on their site (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_ul_180_quilt.html), but this little line told me all I needed to know:

Not only is the JRB Stealth (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm) 2.5 ounces lighter, $20something less expensive, and wearable, but I bet the Jacks have one in stock. Unlike the BPL 180 which is currently out of stock. :D

Yup....Plenty of stock...How many do you need...:D

Pan

DGrav
07-22-2009, 19:19
My Stealth is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Plus you can get better customer services than the Jacks!

amac
07-22-2009, 20:38
Thanks to all for excellent comments. Food and Canibal, you both indicated that the Stealth is lighter than the BPL 180. The following are from the two websites:
"The No Sniveller (Long) weighs 23 oz.,"
BPL: "Weight: 19.6 oz (555 g) in size Long"

Are the actual weights different than advertised?
And does anyone have the loft of the BPL 180?

BillyBob58
07-22-2009, 21:05
Thanks to all for excellent comments. Food and Canibal, you both indicated that the Stealth is lighter than the BPL 180. The following are from the two websites:
"The No Sniveller (Long) weighs 23 oz.,"
BPL: "Weight: 19.6 oz (555 g) in size Long"

Are the actual weights different than advertised?
And does anyone have the loft of the BPL 180?

I think the Stealth is more comparable to the BPL180 than the No Sniv, which I'm pretty sure would be significantly warmer than the BPL180.

From JRB: The Stealth Quilt (Long) weighs 17 oz.

I don't remember the loft on the 180, but mine seemed thinner than any similar weight down quilt would be, as I would expect. Then you can be assured that some loft will be lost pretty quick after compressing it a few times in your pack. At least that has been my experience with all of my Polarguard gear, though it does have it's advantages in wet or foggy weather. However, keep in mind that some think that 1" of PG is warmer than 1" of down, and some disagree with that idea.

I didn't feel mine would be good for more than 40*F by itself, and maybe only 50*F, but I might have been wrong. I returned it without using it, primarily because of the high cost and sizing problems. It might have been better than I at first thought, but at that price I didn't want to risk it.

amac
07-23-2009, 03:35
My bad. I now see many of you were referring to the Stealth, in fact in one post I even typed it myself. In my mind I was thinking Sniveller. Thanks for all of your input, looks like the No Sniveller will be my next purchase.

Take-a-knee
07-23-2009, 05:07
My bad. I now see many of you were referring to the Stealth, in fact in one post I even typed it myself. In my mind I was thinking Sniveller. Thanks for all of your input, looks like the No Sniveller will be my next purchase.

A very wise purchase you will not regret.

HappyCamper
07-23-2009, 10:55
With all its different uses, packability, etc, the No Sniv is a no brainer. Like everyone says, you won't regret the No Sniv purchase over the BPL quilt.