PDA

View Full Version : WTB Blackbishop Bag

Red Hat
02-07-2009, 11:08
Okay, I've searched everywhere and I can't find out where to buy one. I need it to carry my hammock, UQ, and WMbag. JustJeff's site tells how to make a single one, but from folks descriptions, I think I need a double one. Thanks!

headchange4u
02-07-2009, 11:36
The BB sacks aren't commercially available. They were a creation of blackbishop351. Warbonnet hammocks come with a double ended stuff sack. It's the closest thing available to a BB sack. He may be able to make a custom size for you.

It's pretty easy to make your own with a standard stuff sack. Burn a hole in the bottom of the bag just large enough to pass your suspension lines through.

Red Hat
02-07-2009, 11:46
Thanks headchange4u, maybe someone has an extra they'd like to get rid of???? I tried fitting everything into an old compression sack, but it didn't fit... If I can't get one here, I may have to buy a bigger sack and try the hole in the end thing.

gnome
02-07-2009, 14:23
I modified my cuben back pac, to become a b bishop like bag. my hammock with my uq (uq flipped into the hamm. my over q, also in the hammock . the whole package is in my pac. one end comes out of the bottom of the pac, the other end out of the top of the pac, most of my other gear is carried in a 6 in X 12 in cylindrical front pac. (I do carry some heavier food articles in the bottom of the pac, I take them out prior to hanging, and they are put into the pac the last thing before closing the bottom of the pac, with velcro) upon hanging ,the pac. is still around one end of the hanging strap. this way I have the pac always above ground. the empty pac is used to store articles , like clothing kits etc.)My tarp is carried outside the pac. a bit hard to discribe but works like butter! gnome

gnome
02-07-2009, 14:23
I modified my cuben back pac, to become a b bishop like bag. my hammock with my uq (uq flipped into the hamm. my over q, also in the hammock . the whole package is in my pac. one end comes out of the bottom of the pac, the other end out of the top of the pac, most of my other gear is carried in a 6 in X 12 in cylindrical front pac. (I do carry some heavier food articles in the bottom of the pac, I take them out prior to hanging, and they are put into the pac the last thing before closing the bottom of the pac, with velcro) upon hanging ,the pac. is still around one end of the hanging strap. this way I have the pac always above ground. the empty pac is used to store articles , like clothing kits etc.)My tarp is carried outside the pac. a bit hard to discribe but works like butter! gnome

BillyBob58
02-07-2009, 14:34
The BB sacks aren't commercially available. They were a creation of blackbishop351. Warbonnet hammocks come with a double ended stuff sack. It's the closest thing available to a BB sack. He may be able to make a custom size for you.

It's pretty easy to make your own with a standard stuff sack. Burn a hole in the bottom of the bag just large enough to pass your suspension lines through.

Is anything special needed for the burning tool? A lighter, a soldering iron, or something else? So is it best to just burn the hole to start with, or cut a hole and then burn/melt around the edges?

angrysparrow
02-07-2009, 14:39
Is anything special needed for the burning tool? A lighter, a soldering iron, or something else? So is it best to just burn the hole to start with, or cut a hole and then burn/melt around the edges?

I make my BishopBags from silnylon stuffsacks using the following method. I'm not sure it is the best method, or even a good one, but it works for me.

- Mark the hole placement and size with a marker.
- Stretch the fabric over the top of a wide glass with the mark in the center, and place a rubber band around the outside. This holds it in place well while you work.
- Heat up a needle with a lighter or candle.
- Use the needle to carefully burn through the material, reheating as necessary.

Using a grommet instead would be a neater method, but I've never tried it.

NCPatrick
02-07-2009, 14:41
The ones blackbishop made did not have the hole burnt through. It was just part of the bag. If you PM me, I'd be happy to discuss making one Red Hat.

headchange4u
02-07-2009, 15:42
The ones blackbishop made did not have the hole burnt through. It was just part of the bag. If you PM me, I'd be happy to discuss making one Red Hat.

I knew one of our resident DIY'ers would step up. :D

MacEntyre
02-08-2009, 07:38
I bought several waterproof stuff sacs on sale. One of them was the right size for my HH + SS with OCF pad, so I burned a hole in the bottom by heating up a phillips screw driver that's just a bit smaller than the HH suspension line. Angry's hot needle method is better, if you have the patience. :rolleyes:

I wanted to use an inexpensive, waterproof stuff sac because I might change it out for a smaller or larger bag, depending on the weather or season. It's easier to burn holes than to make an entire sac!

For a really warm trip, I would not take the SS, so I would need a smaller stuff sac. For a really cold trip, I might add the KAQ to the SS, and stuff it all together in one big compression bag.

One requires options! (...and duct tape, to cover holes that are no longer in use!)