PDA

View Full Version : Western Washington Hang June 7-9th

Gary_R
03-25-2013, 12:33
Official thread for this years Western Washington Hang up in Moclips, Wa
(About 20 minutes north of Ocean Shores)

Last years went very well with fire, hammocks, live music, food and some fun on the beach. Anyone interested is welcome, there is plenty of space.
We had a half planned potluck last year that turned out very well, maybe we can have a repeat of that:)

I will be going up a bunch now that we are getting nicer weather, I will post which weekends in case anyone wants to come hang, fish or help make trails and more campsites.

Directions:
GPS COORDINATES: N47 14.592 W124 12.562

To make directions easier for MOST drivers.
Take your best route to HWY 12 West

Follow Hwy 12 West till your in Aberdeen and it becomes 101N

Follow the signs and stay on 101N through Aberdeen and Hoquiam.
(You will see 2 signs saying 109 don't take them, unless you really like driving down the coast and going slow) Stay on 101N

You will see this sign
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/Rasper77/P1030878.jpg

And turn here
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/Rasper77/P1030874.jpg

Follow that road for 20 miles till you hit a stop sign
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/Rasper77/P1030873.jpg

Take a Right on 109 and drive 3 miles to mile marker 32
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/Rasper77/P1030872.jpg

Notice the car.. that is the turn off.
Gate will be unlocked just open it and drive in.
Take the 2nd right and go down the hill, property is on the right.

renegadepilgrim
03-27-2013, 23:54
I'm hoping I can make it!!!

Brian Miller
04-13-2013, 22:33
I'm a brand newby and would like to come and learn how it's done from experienced hangers. Not sure if I can make it but I'll put it in my calendar and see as the date draws near.

creativeKayt
04-15-2013, 00:01
We're in!! Let me know if you need any pre-prep worker bees.
:thumbup:

Coil
04-15-2013, 00:12
I'll be there!

Mannowar
04-15-2013, 01:08
Putting it on the calendar and checking logistics...

Gary_R
04-15-2013, 12:46
Depending on weather I may go up there next weekend. Unless a whole bunch of motorcycle parts show up:) I have not been up there in quite a while.. need a few trips

Coil
04-15-2013, 13:02
Depending on weather I may go up there next weekend. Unless a whole bunch of motorcycle parts show up:) I have not been up there in quite a while.. need a few trips

Let me know if you do. I can probably meet you. :shades:

Boomer
04-20-2013, 13:23
Working that weekend. :(

Coil
04-20-2013, 13:43

That sucks. Maybe a few of us can meet up and go backpacking sometime. Feel free to hit me up anytime. :shades:

Gary_R
04-20-2013, 14:18

this weekend and the weekend of the 28th were the most popular..
Maybe you will be able to figure it out.. Still time never know.

bgraybackpacker
05-09-2013, 16:28
I would go but that is the weekend before final prep week. Going to be very busy.

mugs
05-10-2013, 21:34
Wife and I will be there this year again..

She just ordered us up some WBRR, for us both...so we'll be breaking them in on this trip.

Look forward to seeing you all again.

mugs
05-15-2013, 23:44
I this still a go..the thread has been pretty dead considering how close to the hang date we are.

renegadepilgrim
05-16-2013, 01:20
It's a go...everything has been set as far as dates and directions...just need to work out the final details. I'm hoping to make it out on Saturday after work.

Gary_R
05-16-2013, 08:54
I plan on being there.. the planning post got lots of interest then this post went silent. People should sound off and others should ask the people who went last time.

Gary_R
05-16-2013, 16:45
OK if you are planning to go sound off.. If its just a bad weekend for most of the people now we can move it forward if we need to. 4 people isn't many people lol.

Coil
05-16-2013, 20:59
I'm a maybe now. Zugcat told me he plans to go.

rip waverly
05-17-2013, 15:58
i'm trying to make it -- but its the weekend before finals week at OSU and i may need to be available for OT

Gary_R
05-17-2013, 16:00
i'm trying to make it -- but its the weekend before finals week at OSU and i may need to be available for OT

which is funny caused i moved it to early summer so you could go haha

mugs
05-17-2013, 21:23
Wife and I are a go...She has blocked out her schedule and everything.

I'll get a hold of teegs and few others that may no know about the event..and see whats up with them.

Oregon
05-18-2013, 01:18
I'll be there. I work Friday (Woodburn, OR = 203 miles) so I'll be arriving a bit late that night but will be there

zugcat
05-18-2013, 05:17
I'm planning on going.

creativeKayt
05-18-2013, 19:55
DFab and I are still a "go."
:thumbup1:

Wolfman
05-20-2013, 08:43
Hi All! Gary, Kate and all the rest!

To many things have been going on with me and I need to get a way. Still have no Hammock though! :(

So if your still OK with a land lubber then I am going to put it on my schedule.

Kate, do you still have the extra hammocks? I would love to try that red and black one again, the "Count" I think it was. Are you planning on showing on Friday or Saturday? I will probably shoot for Friday.

I will bring some different pads/foams and hopefully can make it more then 1/2 a night this time. I will also bring a tarp and my ground setup, just in case.

Gary, did you git a grill for the pit yet? I might have something that will work, do you remember how wide it is?

Wolfman

Gary_R
05-20-2013, 09:45
To be honest still have not made it up there this year lol. I think Kayte and I are going to make an overnight run up there shortly to do a bit of work. No have not worked on grill for it yet curious what you have in mind. How wide.. umm Ill measure I don't remember. I want to say around 36?

Im sure we can get hammocks there for ya I will pass this msg to Kayt so she knows to log in. And your always welcome.

Hi All! Gary, Kate and all the rest!

To many things have been going on with me and I need to get a way. Still have no Hammock though! :(

So if your still OK with a land lubber then I am going to put it on my schedule.

Kate, do you still have the extra hammocks? I would love to try that red and black one again, the "Count" I think it was. Are you planning on showing on Friday or Saturday? I will probably shoot for Friday.

I will bring some different pads/foams and hopefully can make it more then 1/2 a night this time. I will also bring a tarp and my ground setup, just in case.

Gary, did you git a grill for the pit yet? I might have something that will work, do you remember how wide it is?

Wolfman

creativeKayt
05-20-2013, 11:06
Wolfman -- of course!! I'll bring the lot and you can pick. We'll be up late Friday night. We're gonna leave after work and head up. Be there around 9pm, I suspect.

See you all there!!
:D

Brian Miller
05-20-2013, 18:22
I this still a go..the thread has been pretty dead considering how close to the hang date we are.sorry I'm booked for a big band jazz performance and can't make it! :(

Wolfman
05-21-2013, 08:59
Thanks Gary and Kate,

Yea if you can git the inside measurement and the outside measurement, it would be very helpful. Now if I can find the time....

Wolfman

Wolfman
05-21-2013, 16:37
Gary,

Just a heads up. I am heading to the coast this coming weekend to do some camping / backpacking. Let me know if your going to be at your property and I will swing by.

Probably at La Push or Oil City for the long weekend. Friday to Monday.

Wolfman

Gary_R
05-22-2013, 16:17
Gary,

Just a heads up. I am heading to the coast this coming weekend to do some camping / backpacking. Let me know if your going to be at your property and I will swing by.

Probably at La Push or Oil City for the long weekend. Friday to Monday.

Wolfman

I will let ya know but I will probably stay local this weekend and get some riding in on my bike while the weather is nice. Might make a early week run up there to check out stuff and drop off some gear.
If weather holds (Crossing Fingers) I will probably ride to the hang.

rip waverly
05-24-2013, 16:09
help!
anyone got room to spare in their vehicle?

i hope to be coming northward from corvallis friday , at some time pending when a willing participant is leaving;) -- either via
bus or train, (salem or portland stop) or wife-drop at determined location.

Gary_R
05-24-2013, 16:31
help!
anyone got room to spare in their vehicle?

i hope to be coming northward from corvallis friday , at some time pending when a willing participant is leaving;) -- either via
bus or train, (salem or portland stop) or wife-drop at determined location.

Im sure you can grab a ride with one of us. I was thinking about riding if the weather is nice but not sure I would get lucky enough to have all 3 nice lol.
Might just drive.

Oregon
05-24-2013, 17:50
I think I'll be taking Friday off so that I don't arrive so late. Rip you're welcomed to ride with me if you wish. I can get you from Portland, Salem or wherever. I don't talk as much as Gary so depends on what kind of ride you're looking for. Mellow, boring ride with me or a non-stop talkathon with G. ;)

Gary_R
05-24-2013, 17:52
I think I'll be taking Friday off so that I don't arrive so late. Rip you're welcomed to ride with me if you wish. I can get you from Portland, Salem or wherever. I don't talk as much as Gary so depends on what kind of ride you're looking for. Mellow, boring ride with me or a non-stop talkathon with G. ;)

And why do I want you to go?

Oregon
05-24-2013, 21:02
And why do I want you to go?

Ah come on Gary...I only kid the one's I like. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. ;)

renegadepilgrim
05-25-2013, 04:08
I'll be up Saturday afternoon...I have to work Friday night...soooo, if ya'll need me to bring anything let me know.

And Wolfman, I'm gonna be up in Everett next weekend, June 1 for the GearUp Expo...if you want to geek out together over gear, let me know!

rip waverly
05-26-2013, 21:49
thanks for the nods.

oregon n gary -- i'll take one of ya up on it ---
i won't be travelling via car -- so i'm at the mercy of public transportation
and the associated drop off points of greyhound/amtrak.

i'll talk to my boss at work to discuss what time i can bust out on friday -
also means i'll need to get back to a depot on sunday if thats ok... sorry!:eek:

looking forward to the hang!@

Gary_R
05-27-2013, 12:24
I think Oregon is closer to you so that may be the best option. If the weather holds up Jackleberry and I may take the motorcycles up 101 to the property for fun.

creativeKayt
05-28-2013, 00:47
:eek::eek::eek:

Hey, everybuggy! Heads up if you are traveling from Portland or south of Portland. I-5 will be closed June 7th at 11pm through June 10th at 5am. And by "closed," I mean completely closed. You're best bet will be to take I-205 instead.

Closure info--
Southbound I-5: Closed between I-205 and Northeast 134th Street
Northbound I-5: Closed between SR 500 and I-205.

More info can be found at the following link:http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I5/ne134thi205/_I5Closure.htm

:eek::eek::eek:

Gary_R
05-28-2013, 03:05
Well anyone south of Portland should take 205 anyway. so that's good:)
But I would avoid coming through in peak rush hour since it will be worse.

Hwy 101 will be open:)
I just went over the ride from Beaverton, OR to the property taking the coastal hwy and its 47 miles shorter for me to take 101N.. It will be a longer ride though cause I cant do 70 most of the way lol. Way nicer views though:)

creativeKayt
05-28-2013, 09:14
Awesome!! You'll have a blast!!
:thumbup:

mugs
05-28-2013, 23:08
The WBRR's came in today for the wife and I. So we'll be rocking those this trip..Gonna bring the danger birds just in case :scared:

Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Are we going to do a potluck again this year?

Were taking off right after I get out of work. So we'll be there on friday around 6ish or so.

creativeKayt
05-28-2013, 23:49
Potluck sounds good to us!
We're both looking forward to seeing you guys!!

Gary_R
05-29-2013, 00:43
What time are people planning on getting there. I Need to know what time I have to be there by lol.

renegadepilgrim
05-29-2013, 03:24
There is a slight chance I might have to help my parents move now...Grrrrrr....I'll update as soon as I know more...

Oregon
05-29-2013, 22:21
What time are people planning on getting there. I Need to know what time I have to be there by lol.

I just got confirmation that I can have that Friday off. Rip, who is coming with me, is waiting to see if he can take the entire day off I believe. If that happens then we MIGHT start heading that way around noonish but that is a very rough estimate. Waiting to hear back from Rip before we can be more precise.

Gary_R
05-30-2013, 00:26
I just got confirmation that I can have that Friday off. Rip, who is coming with me, is waiting to see if he can take the entire day off I believe. If that happens then we MIGHT start heading that way around noonish but that is a very rough estimate. Waiting to hear back from Rip before we can be more precise.

Just trying to figure out when I need to be on the road to open the gate up.

zugcat
05-30-2013, 02:22

I don't think Coil and I can leave Seattle until Saturday morning.

creativeKayt
05-31-2013, 23:39
DFab and I are leaving Friday after work. That'll put us there around 8-9'ish pm.
:)

rip waverly
06-01-2013, 10:20
Plans change,
I'm still looking to carpool up with someone, with the caveat of I'll be riding Amtrak from Corvallis. Hope to make it.

Gary_R
06-01-2013, 15:51
Plans change,
I'm still looking to carpool up with someone, with the caveat of I'll be riding Amtrak from Corvallis. Hope to make it.

Oregon cancel?

mugs
06-01-2013, 16:54
Wife and I will more then likely be there between 5 and 6ish pm on Friday. If you can't make it by then...we'll just walk down the road and set up...then when you get there, we'll drive our car in.

rip waverly
06-01-2013, 18:49
Oregon cancel?

Family stuff I think,,, yeah.

JTXR
06-01-2013, 20:16
Is the potluck going to be on Friday or Saturday?

Other than bringing something for the potluck is there anything else I need to do or bring?

I will be there some time on Saturday afternoon and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!!!

Gary_R
06-01-2013, 23:09
Last year we did the eating thing on Saturday.

Mugs I will be there well before 5pm unless something bad happens on the way.
I figure I should be there between 12-3pm, I am leaving it a little vague because I have never taken 101 that far up and I am
not sure what time Jackleberry will be on the road lol. If I didn't think I would make it I would tell you where a key is..

creativeKayt
06-04-2013, 17:41
Lets do potluck on Saturday, so folks arriving Saturday can join, if they want. Totally mellow. Join in if ya want, but ya don't have to if'n ya don't wanna.

Just a couple'a days! I'm excited ta see everybuggy!!

mugs
06-04-2013, 19:19
Lets do potluck on Saturday, so folks arriving Saturday can join, if they want. Totally mellow. Join in if ya want, but ya don't have to if'n ya don't wanna.

Just a couple'a days! I'm excited ta see everybuggy!!

Agreed. And let's try to do it when its still daylight so we can see what were eating. Although by the time we had it last time, everybody was shall we say ignorant of, and didn't care, what they were eating. They were too busy trying to stay upright in their chairs :eek:

Gary_R
06-04-2013, 20:09
Agreed. And let's try to do it when its still daylight so we can see what were eating. Although by the time we had it last time, everybody was shall we say ignorant of, and didn't care, what they were eating. They were too busy trying to stay upright in their chairs :eek:

HEHE I am still hoping Teegs makes an appearance.. Beer, Fire, Ducks with Nunchucks.

Gary_R
06-04-2013, 20:16
Creativekayt and I were up there Sunday/Monday and there is a little bit of work to do but we got the Mosquito treatment taken care of. The ground was a little soft down by the fire ring but not bad (It was raining not to many days earlier)and its supposed to be sunny all week so that should be even better.

River looks WAY different, all the down trees are gone and down river or out to sea.
Im sending up my chainsaw and saw blade stick of doom with Kayt so I can clean some stuff during the day. And hunt down so good firewood.

The local store has a pretty decent selection of beer and stuff if your worried.. Packing some water isn't a bad idea though. I will try and bring my Coffee press up again for the coffee people.

rip waverly
06-04-2013, 22:44
i'm in - thanks to kayt and the rail service.

anyone have an extra folding fire chair? and other car camp stuff they don't mind sharing? i'll be in backpack mode for the train ride so won't have
the usual cooler, chair, stove. just my hammock, quilts, tarp and inflatable
macho man randy savage.

zugcat
06-04-2013, 22:56
"inflatable macho man randy savage."

At least you will have the important things!

Gary_R
06-05-2013, 00:57
i'm in - thanks to kayt and the rail service.

anyone have an extra folding fire chair? and other car camp stuff they don't mind sharing? i'll be in backpack mode for the train ride so won't have
the usual cooler, chair, stove. just my hammock, quilts, tarp and inflatable
macho man randy savage.

I think there is a couple chairs up there.
There is stoves up there and fire.
A near by store.

If that dont work Ill have a chainsaw and we can grab some rope and make something!

Wolfman
06-05-2013, 08:49
I will be headed out mid Friday. That should put me there in the middle of the afternoon. If the gate is not open I will hang out on the beach for a while.

Not sure what I am bringing for the potluck, probably not steaks.

See you all there!

Wolfman

Gary_R
06-05-2013, 10:50
I figure I should be there sometime between 2-3

rip waverly
06-05-2013, 13:17
Will this store be open later Friday ?

Gary_R
06-05-2013, 13:38
yeah there open pretty late.

renegadepilgrim
06-06-2013, 05:08
I'm out...all the fun I had last weekend has caught up with me and I have one hell of a cold brewing...not to mention, due to work I wouldn't be able to get up there until late Saturday afternoon. Have fun ya'll!

creativeKayt
06-07-2013, 00:25
Rip -- we'll have extra gear/chair and can make a stop at a decent store on the way. Travel safe!!

cK and DFab

creativeKayt
06-07-2013, 00:27
It's almost hang time!!!

You'll be missed Renegade. Get well, quick.

Travel safe, everybuggy making the journey!!

:) :) :)

Gary_R
06-07-2013, 00:57
The gate will be closed but unlocked once I am there.
If its locked Im not there yet lol.. should be there by 3

creativeKayt
06-07-2013, 10:20
Dreaming of large trees standing 15' apart and ripstop fabric!

HURTHEART
06-07-2013, 11:00
Our regrets, we (myself, Ironfish77, Willow and Morty), will be unable to attend, I am still having breathing problems when around wood smoke. I hope everyone enjoys the Hang. We really enjoyed the Fall hang, beautiful place and lots to explore. Gary's Hang was our very best experience.

Wolfman
06-07-2013, 11:14
Bad news for me, I aggravated my back (lower disk problems) and can't move a round much, so I don't think I will be showing up. Really want to do this too!

Hope to see you all before next year! If I am feeling better tomorrow I will head down, but no way I can do it today.

Wolfman

Coil
06-07-2013, 11:17
I'm tentative now due to house hunting. I might be able to squeeze in tomorrow night.

creativeKayt
06-07-2013, 14:50
Ahhh! Bummers all around, Hurtheart, Ironfish77, pups Willow and Morty, Wolfman and Coil. We'll miss you all.

Hurtheart, I hope you find a good smoke-filtering solution that will allow you to return to and join in the fun, soon!

Wolfman, take care of that back. That's just no fun at all.

Coil, we hope you can squeeze us in, but I know house hunting can take a bit of time and energy.

:( :( :( :(

cK--

Coil
06-10-2013, 11:13
I had a blast at the hang but I think I gained about 5lbs. It was great seeing everyone again and making new friends. Gary your property is awesome!!!

JTXR
06-11-2013, 11:50
It was really nice meeting everyone this weekend, thanks for letting me come out to the hang.

I am still amazed about the Foxfire, that was one of the highlights of the weekend.

I'm thinking about changing my name here to - JTorn. I'm now on a quest to find some replacement pants for the torn ones but so far I have had no luck finding a pair of Hammer pants.... but I would settle for a pair of Harem pants if the color is right.

Gary - Thanks again for your hospitality, you have a really cool place.