PDA

View Full Version : VA Luray Shenandoah river float trip (official thread)May 18-19

krshome
03-25-2013, 16:45
Ok guys of the Mid south, here it is. One night hang float the Shenandoah River South Fork in the Luray area. Ok if you don't have a kayak or canoe you can rent from http://www.shenandoahriver.com/ . This is a choose your own adventure trip, you can start where ever you want but camp will be at mile #13 but go around the corner to just after the ledge drop. I will have My HF flag out if I get to camp before you. The map I have attached shows all locations. To clear up the map, the numbers are miles. You can camp at 8-9 (also the put in if you want to camp the night before to get a jump on things), 13-14 (camp of the trip on Saturday night). The #/mile signs are on the river (you can't miss them). My trip will start at #8 Bealer's Ferry at 11 am Saturday (Thats launch time, be there earlier for shuttling cars). Take out is #19, there is not much parking here so it would be nice to car pool. I have not done this trip before but have done most of the Shenandoah River. Camp is on National Forest there is no water, picnic tables, or bathrooms this is wilderness camping. You need to bring everything water, food, TP, and bear bags. PM me or post if you have questions. This trip is rain or shine but if for some reason the river is out of its banks and not safe I will cancel. Looking forward to meeting some new folks on this trip. Other helpful links http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/waterbodies/display.asp?id=173&section=maps http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/waterbodies/display.asp?id=173&section=maps

visionarylion
03-28-2013, 19:10
im in it will be me wife and our two girls. will bring oun canoe

visionarylion
03-28-2013, 19:16
i need the address or gps coordinates so i can get driving directions

RHunter
03-28-2013, 19:38
AAARRGGHHHH! :(

I have BALOO Training for the Scouts that weekend- and they only offer it every so often. I can't miss this year's chance.

Gonna miss this one, and it sounded great too

nothermark
03-28-2013, 20:50
Long drive but tempting. I'll know how I am handling camping and paddling by then. Are the rapid class 1 riffles or something to worry about?

krshome
03-29-2013, 07:42
Directions: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gwj/recreation/wateractivities/recarea/?recid=73565&actid=78

OldRagFreeze
03-29-2013, 07:47
Are the rapid class 1 riffles or something to worry about?

I'd like to know this as well. I'm very interested in the trip, but our canoe would be borrowed and I don't want to take the risk in rough water.

krshome
03-29-2013, 08:00
Compton's Rapid is a class 2 straight shot on your right hand side of the river. It can be portaged/walked if you don't feel comfortable. The river has a little of everything flats, rapids, riffles and ledges. Some canoe/kayak experience is recommended but not really required but if you have non you might get wet.:laugh:

krshome
03-29-2013, 08:09
All canoes get some scratches on the river it's rocky but as long as the canoe is not fiberglass or aluminum it will be fine.

not_possible
03-29-2013, 14:39
I have no experience unless you count the raft rides at amusement parks :lol:

I'd love to give it a shot and I'll be in that area since I'm hiking the AT this year, unfortunately I'll only be in NC/TN by then.

krshome
03-29-2013, 15:14
I have no experience unless you count the raft rides at amusement parks :lol:

I'd love to give it a shot and I'll be in that area since I'm hiking the AT this year, unfortunately I'll only be in NC/TN by then.

Hey NP! I live 10 minutes from Skyline Drive/The AT here in VA. You should be rolling throw in June. If you want to float let me know i'm always looking for an excuse for a day off.

not_possible
03-29-2013, 18:29
Hey NP! I live 10 minutes from Skyline Drive/The AT here in VA. You should be rolling throw in June. If you want to float let me know i'm always looking for an excuse for a day off.

I'll keep that in mind, I'll have my phone so I'll be logging on here now and then I'm sure.

visionarylion
04-08-2013, 10:04
I was wondering since no one has committed to this so far, could the dates be changed. So that I can make it. If not then I won't be able to make this trip.

krshome
04-09-2013, 20:51
I was wondering since no one has committed to this so far, could the dates be changed. So that I can make it. If not then I won't be able to make this trip.

VISIONARY! Hey buddy, I had this problem planing this trip last year, a major failure to commit. As far as this trip the dates are in stone sorry man. I going regardless.
PM me if you want to float some other time as a non HF trip.

visionarylion
04-10-2013, 16:41
Krshome that's cool I fully understand. I deff wont be able to make this one , but i'll be getting in touch with you to set up another trip.Thanks and hope you have a great trip

krshome
04-18-2013, 13:23
Anybody interested in this trip?

krshome
04-22-2013, 18:15
I hate to do this but since there has been no interest in this trip, I'm canceling it. Maybe I'll try again later in the summer but I guess everyone is going to trail days on the dates I picked. So mods please close or remove this thread. If anyone has an interest in a trip like this PM me and maybe we can get some dates together.

visionarylion
04-22-2013, 18:46
man that sux sorry no one want's to go on a trip I really want to go to this one but the month of may is completely booked for me I wont be able to do anything till at least June. I'll check my planner and send you a pm when I know better what dates I can do a float trip

sketch
04-23-2013, 00:02
My friends and I where planning on a trip on the first weekend of may. Im going to see if He'll want to do this instead. ..ill let you know...

L.D. Cakes
04-26-2013, 20:58
I didnt see this thread until you mentioned it in another one. I have expirience and a few of my buddies would like something like this too. We are always looking for class I-II paddle/camps to do. Please when you reschedule shoot me a message.

krshome
04-29-2013, 06:45
I didnt see this thread until you mentioned it in another one. I have expirience and a few of my buddies would like something like this too. We are always looking for class I-II paddle/camps to do. Please when you reschedule shoot me a message.

Sure thing L.D. Cakes