PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Backpacking April 5th,6th & 7th

fixin2b1
03-29-2013, 13:42
I am hitting the woods (somewhere), April 5th-7th. I haven't decided where to go. Thinking about Big South Fork. Anyone interested in joining? I plan on leaving Nashville around noon on Friday and returning Sunday. South Cumberland is a possibility because of its proximity but I'd kind of like to do some trails that I haven't done before. Maybe Frozen Head?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ewker
03-29-2013, 14:46
I like BSF and South Cumberland. I think the BSF gives you more trail options though.
Let me see if we can make it

Rain Man
03-29-2013, 14:47
You named three great places already, but don't overlook throwing the Cumberland Trail into the mix of possibilities.

Rain Man

hangnout
03-29-2013, 18:12
BSF beats the heck out of Frozen Head:) Will watch this thread and maybe be a last minute addition if all the stars align right...........

fixin2b1
03-29-2013, 20:17
I enjoy bsf and frozen head. Any suggestions on the Cumberland trail. I am not opposed to an in and out hike. The maps seem to be a little vague to me. At least for trip planning.

potneck
03-29-2013, 22:31
I hope to be in BSF that week. I would love to meet some of you folks. I'll be watching the thread.

fixin2b1
03-29-2013, 23:08
What trails are you considering in BSF ?

Littleg
03-30-2013, 07:00
Ill be in BSF that week.

Amand
03-30-2013, 07:02
This might work out for me. I was planning on heading out next weekend as long as work doesn't go crazy the beginning of next week. Let me know where you decide and I will try to make it.

potneck
03-30-2013, 07:52
What trails are you considering in BSF ?
There is a road that you can drive to from the Bandy Visitor Ctr that intersects the JMT. Since I was planning to be solo, I thought I would park there and wander around between Grand Gap and Station Camp Creek along the bluffs for a few days.

fixin2b1
03-30-2013, 09:22
A few years ago, we started at bandy and did the jmt , grand gap and came up laurel fork back to bandy. It was a good hike.

potneck
03-30-2013, 11:45
A few years ago, we started at bandy and did the jmt , grand gap and came up laurel fork back to bandy. It was a good hike.

In Dec 2011 my son and I did a similar trip. It was our first time to be out for 2 nights, and our first exp in cold weather (upper 20's at night). It was a great trip and gave us some great memories. Last Dec we planned a similar trip from Leatherwood Ford to Station Camp Creek. We got some great insight form hangnout and others here but our work schedules ultimately won the battle and we didn't get to go. I'm very hopeful of making a trip next week, unfortunately w/out my son, and it would be great to actually meet some of the folks on the forum who have helped me so much.

fixin2b1
03-30-2013, 17:33
I have never done the honey creek loop? Anyone interested? Better ideas?

Ewker
03-31-2013, 14:43
Honey Creek Loop is good for a day hike. There is a camping spot at the start of the trail and you can connect to the JMT which will take you down to Burnt Mill Bridge. Unfortunately you will have to hike back to Honey Creek

fixin2b1
03-31-2013, 17:42
I think I'll save honey creek for another day.

fixin2b1
04-01-2013, 15:22
I have decided to Park at Middle Creek and do a combination of Middle Creek, Slave Falls and Twin Arches. If anyone would like to meet up, just PM me. I should get there early afternoon on Friday and come out sometime Saturday. I may move campsites or may basecamp. I guess i'll just see how it goes.

AdventureMyk
04-01-2013, 17:45
That's my home territory and the weather is potentially raining Thurs and Fri so the creeks and rivers will be up but the weekend report looks fantastic! I'd love to go but am still getting over 1.5+ months of pneumonia. Cool damp air for a few nights is not likely a good thing to brave right now. :(

Have a blast, take pics, and stay in trouble!

potneck
04-01-2013, 21:16
I'm heading to BSF in the morning (Apr 2nd) and am still planning to park somewhere around Bandy Visitors Ctr and hike/hang the bluffs between Grand Gap and Station Camp Creek. Sorry I can't get free for the weekend and maybe meet some HF members. If anybody's going to be in the area midweek give me a PM.

bowl-maker
04-02-2013, 10:03
We might be able to do Friday night after work...me and the boy

fixin2b1
04-02-2013, 13:08
Potneck, I'm sorry that I won't get to meet you. Hopefully another time. Bowl-maker, let me know if you make it. I will be there through Sunday. I think that I mistakenly said that I was coming out Saturday. I think I will look for a campsite on the Slave Falls/Charit Creek trail or maybe Jakes Place.

potneck
04-04-2013, 19:14
Just got back from BSF for last couple of nights. Had a great time, the heavy rain moved in just as I was leaving today. My first solo and first use of the MM Gear box, loved it. I'll post some pics and details later. Hope any of you that go this weekend have a great trip.

bowl-maker
04-05-2013, 10:48
Include us out...family responsibilities... :-(