PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse Area Hike / Over Nighter

12trysomething
03-31-2013, 04:28
Hi all, I am in the Syracuse area and looking for a / some like minded people to enjoy the area with. This is my first time hanging so, anyone with experience would be welcome to help out and teach a noobie. I am interested in an over nighter sometime soon as I want to try my gear out. Hopefully we can arrange something that works for everyone. Thanks

DuctTape
04-01-2013, 19:06
Welcome to the addiction. I am not far from you and I head through Syr on my way to the adks about twice a month. Lots of great hanging opportunities in NY. I always welcome others to join me on my adventures. I will be in the adks this Thurs to Sat actually.

hairbear
04-01-2013, 21:45
welcome. I come from a little town on the st lawrence river just up from you.

12trysomething
04-02-2013, 04:43
Nice, thanks guys. I am actually from Potsdam originally. Been in Syr for about 5 yrs. have backpacked for a while, just new to hanging. This year a buddy of mine from RI and I are doing our second section on the NPT over Memorial Day weekend.

Let me know if interested in a weekend adventure on the FLT or any other ideas. Haven't found a local hiking partner yet.

hairbear
04-02-2013, 04:51
Nice, thanks guys. I am actually from Potsdam originally. Been in Syr for about 5 yrs. have backpacked for a while, just new to hanging. This year a buddy of mine from RI and I are doing our second section on the NPT over Memorial Day weekend.

Let me know if interested in a weekend adventure on the FLT or any other ideas. Haven't found a local hiking partner yet.

I grew up in waddington 19 miles from you. Does clarkson still have a kick *** hockey team?

DuctTape
04-02-2013, 05:25
Plenty of great spots along the FLT. I usually do them when I am not solo. Let me know when you need a partner and I will check my schedule. I am quite likely available. The NPT is great. I assume the second half you have left is the northern half?

raiffnuke
04-02-2013, 05:50
Welcome to HF from Mass. Check out the NEHHA. There is a group hang in June and another in September.

Gra_factor
04-02-2013, 15:42
Hey, welcome from Syracuse. I haven't posted here in ages, so hello everybody else too!

The Morgan Hill State Forest is nice. There's a lean-to there and lots of walking trails. I'm always up for a campout so PM me. There is also the Syracuse Outdoor Adventures Meetup group. They have over 2,000 members and are very active and friendly. I have maybe 17-18 nights in my hammock, so I am no expert, but 2 heads are better than one as they say.

SkyPainter
04-04-2013, 07:11
Another welcome from Mass! Second the NEHHA suggestion- we have several hangers that make our hangs from upstate NY, as we often hang right over the border in Mass.

~ SkyPainter

jerzybears
04-04-2013, 10:48
Another welcome from Mass! Second the NEHHA suggestion- we have several hangers that make our hangs from upstate NY, as we often hang right over the border in Mass.

~ SkyPainter

Ditto what he said!!!! Once you get used to that Boston accent...(hehehe) you can understand what everyone is saying!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

"The Happa...the Happa!"

SkyPainter
04-06-2013, 11:06
What 'accent'? It's in the cah ...

~ Sky

adkphoto
04-09-2013, 12:27
Hey! I'm from Camillus. Keep me in mind if you're looking for a hiking partner.

I have some trips in the planning stages for July, and our Frozen Fingers Hang alumni are planning a Thawed Finger Hang in August.

David

JollyGreen
04-09-2013, 12:54
August?? The world might end by then....

Datahiker
04-10-2013, 14:18
Hey, JollyGreen! We've been waiting to hear from you, although based on some AT pics it looks like you're out and about already!

To the OP, I'm all the way over in the Buffalo area, but I'm up for driving to get some hiking in. The FLT is a great place to start hanging, although there are lots of road hikes.

JollyGreen
04-10-2013, 19:50
Yeah I'm in NYC working, but can make it there whenever you decide to make the date. Looking forward to some Troegenator lol

NNY_Wanderer
04-10-2013, 20:05
I grew up in waddington 19 miles from you. Does clarkson still have a kick *** hockey team?

Let's Go Tech!

Howie365
04-19-2013, 19:40
Hello 12trysomething I also live in Syracuse NY. I also am a member of the Syracuse area outdoor adventures group and am always up for a hang. A good site to check out is cnyhiking.com to get some ideas of where you would like to go. As Gra_factor pointed out Morgan Hill State Forest is a great option. PM me so we can connect.