PDA

View Full Version : Hex Fly guy lines

bazza2154
02-11-2009, 07:11
Hi guys I have been hanging around since December checking out all the great information and advice on this forum. I have just upgraded from the stock HH tarp to a Hex Fly and I am curious if anyone has had any problems with the standard guy lines as they seem very light. I don't want to change unnecessarily as I like the light weight and I have installed some tarp tensioners. I just don't want to be up in the middle of the night on my first outdoor hang re rigging everything.

headchange4u
02-11-2009, 11:37
Weaker guy lines are not a bad thing, IMHO. Of course you want them to be strong enough to handle adverse conditions like storms and high winds, but I would rather have my guy line snap than my tarp to rip.

headchange4u
02-11-2009, 11:37
BTW,

Welcome to Hammock Forums.

Javaman
02-11-2009, 23:45
Welcome to HF!

I use this:

http://www.rei.com/product/716688

Works well, i don't trip over it.

I made some tarp tensioners out of shock cord per a thread here (search for tarp tensioners), which I attach to the tarp. Then I tie this line to the shock cord tarp tensioner and run the cord to a small figure 9 which I have permanently attached to the line on my MSR Groundhog stake.

Easily adjustable, plus the inline tensioner, plus I can see it at night!

Good luck.

gunn parker
02-12-2009, 06:01
Weaker guy lines are not a bad thing, IMHO. Of course you want them to be strong enough to handle adverse conditions like storms and high winds, but I would rather have my guy line snap than my tarp to rip.

Thanks for that, it is well worth keeping in mind.
Cheers :D

bazza2154
02-12-2009, 06:53
Welcome to HF!

I use this:

http://www.rei.com/product/716688

Works well, i don't trip over it.

I made some tarp tensioners out of shock cord per a thread here (search for tarp tensioners), which I attach to the tarp. Then I tie this line to the shock cord tarp tensioner and run the cord to a small figure 9 which I have permanently attached to the line on my MSR Groundhog stake.

Easily adjustable, plus the inline tensioner, plus I can see it at night!

Good luck.

Thanks for that I like the idea of the easy see guy line and i looked up the stakes they look strong and light pity they only ship to US addresses.

swampy99
02-14-2009, 14:22
what I found with the Hex fly was that the rings for the guys are on the hem tape of the fly. This hem tape started to come away from the fly after a night of high winds. I have modded it and stiched webbing loops to all 4 courners and 3 along the ridge line like the Army bashas. this is a lot stronger than before.:)

But I have replaced the stock aysym fly with a camo diamond one from mosquito hammcks bigger and still rolls up into the snake skins.

Javaman
02-14-2009, 16:10
I found this interesting way to guy out a tarp . . . may make for an interesting mod to my own HH hex fly I use a a general purpose tarp. Would need to install grommets or tie-outs on said tarp, tho.

http://www.bushcraftnorthwest.com/articles/tarp_dark_export.jpg

Video on said mod here (scroll down to the Youtube videos):

http://www.bushcraftnorthwest.com/articles/articles.htm

Spogatz
03-24-2009, 13:34
Does HH have an official way to tie in this tarp. I didn't see it on their site.

DougTheElder
03-24-2009, 13:43
I think the HH stock lines are plenty strong enough, but they're limp, will tangle, and are too small for clumsy fingers. The bright orange line that Ed Speer sells is stiff, strong, as tangle-free as any line can be, and very easy to see. I like it.

JohnH
06-02-2009, 15:31
I use the MSR groundhogs as well. I use the stock line on the tarp and run it down through the loop on the MSR. I then loop it back up through the second tie point (the little clip) then tie it back to the 3 lines below the tie out points. This tensions it as well as triples the amount of line taking the tension.

I'll try to post some pictures or a quick video later this week when the weather improves ;)

psyculman
06-03-2009, 04:58
I made a few tie outs using grosgrain.

Orange because it is very visible in snow. The tie outs are two 3/8" pieces of grosgrain sewn together at 3" intervals, with a piece of 5/16" x 1 1/2" dowel on each end. In use, it is possible to get the short dowel piece thru the loops, and Hennessy tarp loops with out taking gloves off, and, the tie outs won't get tangled together ever. Both ends are equally usable, and the three inch spacing gives a wide variety of length possibilities. This design wouln't be a good idea for high wind set ups. The tie outs are shown here used with the rain fly, not the tarp.

For an center tarp line, I bought little crab hooks, and made a line which stretchs under the tarp, with the little prussics tendsioning the tarp at along that center line. Using a center line, instead of the hammock suspension line allows the tarp to be above the hammock, without sagging, and, this line under the tarp is invaluable for hanging other stuff, and drying out items.

I have not found a source for those little black crab hooks, other than to buy the tiny USB travel drive computer pocket, (at WM item # JDSK-2 8585409476) cut off the plastic USB holder pocket, and keep the hook to use for other things. The USB pocket holders are $4 each, but worth it. The little crab hooks can also be used with out taking off gloves in the winter.

http://www.caselogic.com/2_capacity_usb_drive_shuttle/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=66125

elcolombianito
06-03-2009, 08:07
Im not sure if the guylines for the Poly Hex and the Silnyl Hex are different, and which Hex you have. I have the Poly Hex, and only problem ive had is the same as someone already mentioned concerning the pull out tabs the rings that the lines are attached to. After a year of light use almost every weekend, and heavy use at least once per month, ive seen the stiching is coming off at these pull outs.

Apart from this, the lines are in perfect condition.