PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Cohutta Wilderness- Trip Planning Question

jsjohnston1
04-03-2013, 14:16
I've been wanting to backpack the Jacks River Trail in the Cohutta Wilderness area for some time now. I'd like to turn it into a loop if at all possible and would prefer not to have to shuttle cars or do an out and back trip. Does anyone have any experience hiking up there and know of any good loops you can make with other trails in the area? I've been looking through older posts but most seem to be point to point hikes. Thanks!

-Jason

Str1der
04-10-2013, 08:18
I've never been myself, but I've been planning a trip for a while now and have dug up some infor on the trails. There are a bunch that criss cross through the area, so it is indeed possible to make differeing loops of differeing lengths depending on where you start and what path you want to take. I did read a boyscout review on a loop involving JR Trail from the eastern trailhead, up to the falls, then retrace back on the same trail to the Penitentiary Branch Trail up to the Hemp Top and back to the trailhead. I think the total loop was somehting like 16.5 miles?

jsjohnston1
04-10-2013, 18:25
Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into that.

otter
04-10-2013, 20:42
I’ve done a lot of hiking up in the cohutta wilderness. There are several different trails you can take to make a loop. I got a map from national geographic for the cohutta wilderness that would help you plan your trip. So that may be something you could look into getting.

flyhang
04-10-2013, 20:58
The Cohuttas is a beautiful place
Just got through doing a 20 mile loop on the Conasauga and panther creek falls area
Be aware that the jacks river trail has 42 fords.
You might also want to check out Tim holman's book on the Cohuttas if you don't have it
Koh

stevebo
04-11-2013, 09:06
be sure to check the forest service website---as of 2 years ago, there was a no camping zone around the falls--------probably still is. The website has a map showing where you cant camp This is from wilderness . net ##### Jacks River Falls Area #####

This area is defined as the area within 300 feet of the Jacks River Falls, the area within 300 feet of Beech Creek, from the intersection of Beech Creek with Beech Bottom Trail downstream to the intersection of Beech Creek with Jacks River, or the area within 300 feet of the Jacks River Trail's first river crossing above the Jacks River Falls to the Jacks River Trail's first river crossing below the Jacks River Falls, and the area of land bounded by Beech Creek, Beech Bottom Trail, and Jacks River.

This area is closed between sundown and sunrise, except from November 1 through March 31.

Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.

Campfires are prohibited.

Visitors must camp at designated campsites only in the Beech Bottom area from November 1 through March 31.

Also, look up jacks river falls or cohutta wilderness on youtube---lots of videos of people jumping off the cliffs over the falls!

otter
04-11-2013, 09:16
They still don't want you to camp at Jack river falls but so far that's the only place I've seen they say no camping.

jsjohnston1
04-17-2013, 14:35
Recently picked up the National Geographic map and that has a ton of info. I had heard about restricted camping near the falls but I don't see that being too big of an issue. I'm currently at school in Alabama so I only get up that way during breaks. Looking forward to some good hikes this summer.

otter
04-17-2013, 14:52
I think the map will help you a lot it seems to be pretty dead on. It's helped on my hikes. Also the trails up there are marked with signs so you shouldn't get lost.

wamslers
04-03-2017, 11:07
I know this is a super old thread, but I just did a backpacking trip here myself. Here are two links I found extremely useful:

http://www.cohuttawildernesshiking.com/

http://caltopo.com/m/20LG

Enjoy :)

TrailSlug
04-03-2017, 12:56
I know this is a super old thread, but I just did a backpacking trip here myself. Here are two links I found extremely useful:

http://www.cohuttawildernesshiking.com/

http://caltopo.com/m/20LG

Enjoy :)

Thanks for updating this thread with these great resources.

Rain Man
04-03-2017, 13:44
Thanks for updating this thread with these great resources.

DITTO. I'll be hiking the Conasauga River the last weekend of this month and hope to do the Jacks River later in the Spring.

Have never hiked there ... yet.

Cohutta
04-03-2017, 14:09
I've never been myself, but I've been planning a trip for a while now and have dug up some infor on the trails. There are a bunch that criss cross through the area, so it is indeed possible to make differeing loops of differeing lengths depending on where you start and what path you want to take. I did read a boyscout review on a loop involving JR Trail from the eastern trailhead, up to the falls, then retrace back on the same trail to the Penitentiary Branch Trail up to the Hemp Top and back to the trailhead. I think the total loop was somehting like 16.5 miles?

The most common way people take is to start at Dally gap and hike hemp top to penitentiary branch down to jacks. Then Jacks all the way out to Dally. I have been all over Jacks and Hemp top but not down penitentiary Branch. I've heard from others it's a steep downhill to Jacks. If you are exploring maps keep in mind Sugar Cove trail is closed. It will probably never reopen as the wilderness has reclaimed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cohutta
04-03-2017, 14:21
DITTO. I'll be hiking the Conasauga River the last weekend of this month and hope to do the Jacks River later in the Spring.

Have never hiked there ... yet.

I head up there 7-8 weekends per year. It has gotten more and more crowded every year for the last 15 years. If you are planning a weekend I would suggest getting in early Friday morning. Especially at Conasauga. My last three trips there have been loaded with very large Boy Scout groups.

TrailSlug
04-03-2017, 14:58

Have never hiked there ... yet.Rain man are you doing a loop or an out and back or through on this trail? That looks like a nice area to hike.

johnspenn
04-05-2017, 10:16
My wife and I have done a backpacking trip and a day hike in the Conasauga River area, and want to explore more of the wilderness. It's a great place to do either. The more accessible areas will have more people obviously, but once you hike towards the interior the people sightings trend downward significantly (and the bear sightings increase!).

I hadn't seen the "cohuttawildernesshiking" website, so I'll be exploring it as well- thanks for the heads up on that!

Rain Man
04-06-2017, 09:50
Rain man are you doing a loop or an out and back or through on this trail? That looks like a nice area to hike.

We are planning a straight-through hike of the Conasauga River, between Betty Gap Trailhead and Conasauga River Trailhead. 13 miles total. I plan on splitting the group, hiking from each end, meet in the middle to camp at Bray Field, and swapping car keys.

We'll arrive and start Saturday morning, finish Sunday afternoon/evening.

Cohutta
04-06-2017, 10:01
Sounds like a good plan. Just be aware that Bray field is a very popular spot and is usually loaded with campers. If that's the case your group should be able to find something a short walk in either direction from Bray field.

Str1der
04-11-2017, 10:05

Such an old thread that I get to link my own trip report where we did make such a loop. We didn't follow much of Jacks River, but we did get to see a pretty big chunk of the Cohutta!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/73746-Cohutta-Wilderness-Loop-May-2013

gatigress
04-29-2017, 01:19
ohhh sweet I was looking at this area as well. :) Thanks for the links!

Chuck
04-29-2017, 02:40
Me and a couple friends went two years ago. We parked at the Beech Bottom trailhead and hiked to a campsite. The next morning, some other hikers informed us that our car window was smashed, so we left and went home :(. There was nothing in the car to steal and we even left the glove box open. Maybe we should have left the doors unlocked? I've been wanting to return, so if anybody wants some company, I'm game! I'd like to do some trout fishing there if possible. If anyone has some helpful info regarding fishing there, please post.
Thanks, Chuck

Cohutta
04-29-2017, 15:13
Me and a couple friends went two years ago. We parked at the Beech Bottom trailhead and hiked to a campsite. The next morning, some other hikers informed us that our car window was smashed, so we left and went home :(. There was nothing in the car to steal and we even left the glove box open. Maybe we should have left the doors unlocked? I've been wanting to return, so if anybody wants some company, I'm game! I'd like to do some trout fishing there if possible. If anyone has some helpful info regarding fishing there, please post.
Thanks, Chuck

My buddies and I have fished many miles of the upper section of Jacks on numerous occasions. Fishing was very poor. Don't waste your time up there. I can't speak to the area closer to the falls. Be sure to carry the required licenses. We have been stopped 3 times by DNR dressed as backpackers.

Chuck
04-30-2017, 00:36
Thanks for the info Cohutta, I appreciate it. Are you saying the DNR officials are going undercover without uniforms so that they can befriend you and later flash their badge once they've observed an infraction?

I heard that the trout up there are wild and harder to catch than the stocked ones found in other areas. Would you agree with that?

Cohutta
04-30-2017, 09:10
Thanks for the info Cohutta, I appreciate it. Are you saying the DNR officials are going undercover without uniforms so that they can befriend you and later flash their badge once they've observed an infraction?

I heard that the trout up there are wild and harder to catch than the stocked ones found in other areas. Would you agree with that?

We had the official walk up on us once while we were fishing and he was dressed as a normal backpacker. Chatted with us for a couple of minutes then flashed his badge. The next time we were hiking out on a Sunday and one dressed as a backpacker again starting chatting about fishing and then flashed his badge. We had all the proper licenses so it was nothing more than showing him. Still kind of shady to do that in my opinion.

Yeah...the fishing is much more difficult than the stocked rivers and creeks. Anything we did catch was no more than six inches. We tried everything from flys to spinners. You may have better luck down lower near the falls.

Rain Man
05-01-2017, 08:24
Hiked the Conasauga River Trail this weekend from Betty Gap to Conasauga Trailhead. First time in Cohutta. Was very impressed. Over three dozen stream crossings and fords. Water was crystal clear, not too cold, and at worst waist deep. That said, 6 of the 7 of us fell into the water (mostly controlled slow speed "sits"). My dog Boone even started to look forward to the fords.

Can't wait to go back and do the Jacks.

TrailSlug
05-01-2017, 09:00
Hiked the Conasauga River Trail this weekend from Betty Gap to Conasauga Trailhead. First time in Cohutta. Was very impressed. Over three dozen stream crossings and fords. Water was crystal clear, not too cold, and at worst waist deep. That said, 6 of the 7 of us fell into the water (mostly controlled slow speed "sits"). My dog Boone even started to look forward to the fords.

Thanks for the post back RainMan. Are you going to do an extensive trip report? What did you guys wear in terms of shoes. With that many water crossings one would have to wear some kind of water shoe I would imagine. I typically use Crocks when I cross creeks but this is for the occasional water crossing and I hate these as they get rocks in them making them uncomfortable. I would worry about hiking the 11 miles in my keen water shoes as that's just asking for blisters so I'm curious as to how you guys managed this. Thanks in advance.

Cohutta
05-01-2017, 10:47

It's an awesome place. Glad you had fun.

Cohutta
05-01-2017, 10:50
Thanks for the post back RainMan. Are you going to do an extensive trip report? What did you guys wear in terms of shoes. With that many water crossings one would have to wear some kind of water shoe I would imagine. I typically use Crocks when I cross creeks but this is for the occasional water crossing and I hate these as they get rocks in them making them uncomfortable. I would worry about hiking the 11 miles in my keen water shoes as that's just asking for blisters so I'm curious as to how you guys managed this. Thanks in advance.

I usually either wear chacos or salomon water shoes with a pair of water proof socks. The socks are really there to help prevent blisters as they do get wet.

Rain Man
05-01-2017, 11:02
I don't do extensive trip reports but do post photo albums with captions, which amount to same thing, mostly. Here's the link to the album the hikers started overnight. I haven't had time yet to caption my photos, but will.
https://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/27816349/

As far as footwear, one or two went out and bought water shoes. However, my advice, which the rest followed, was to just hike in their regular boots/shoes and perhaps coat your feet first with some kind of ointment. I used SkinGlide by BodyGlide, which is supposed to "waterproof" your skin from soaking in water when wet all day. That said, this was a short hike, so feet only wet a few hours. My feet were perfectly fine.

I hate wet Crocs. Soooo slippery in my experience. I agree with you about asking for blisters if hiking in water shoes for long distances. I also have a pair of Keen. Took them, but never put them on.