PDA

View Full Version : NJ > Pine Barrens > April 27th

silentorpheus
04-08-2013, 16:58
I'm thinking about trying to get out the last weekend in April. I know MAHHA is that weekend - but I can't get away for the entire weekend. So I figured I'd do a poor man's "wish I was at MAHHA" hang instead.

Thinking of doing 5 miles or so in the pines, possibly Atsion or Batsto to Mullica River Camp.

Any interest? Or is everyone headed to MAHHA?

fallkniven
04-08-2013, 17:25
Headed to MAHHA...

2Questions
04-08-2013, 18:29
I'm thinking about trying to get out the last weekend in April. I know MAHHA is that weekend - but I can't get away for the entire weekend. So I figured I'd do a poor man's "wish I was at MAHHA" hang instead.

Thinking of doing 5 miles or so in the pines, possibly Atsion or Batsto to Mullica River Camp.

Any interest? Or is everyone headed to MAHHA?

There are some just popping in on Saturday. Maybe you would consider that? It would be great to have you.

2Questions
04-08-2013, 18:29
Headed to MAHHA...

I didn't see your name on the sign up.......you coming to MAHHA?

JollyGreen
04-08-2013, 18:32
Going sat/sun myself

fallkniven
04-08-2013, 20:01
I didn't see your name on the sign up.......you coming to MAHHA?

I've been watching, but thought I was moving that week. I ended up just moving the end of march instead of april. The boss just okayed the weekend off. So I think so.

SilvrSurfr
04-08-2013, 21:05
If it rains enough, I'm probably in. However, if the weather's good, I have to coach my son's baseball game. I'm hoping for rain!

silentorpheus
04-08-2013, 21:31
If it rains enough, I'm probably in. However, if the weather's good, I have to coach my son's baseball game. I'm hoping for rain!

If it doesn't rain, we could always night hike in :)

SilvrSurfr
04-08-2013, 21:52
If it doesn't rain, we could always night hike in :)

As long as it's not a night game! Most weekend games are scheduled for 3 pm, so I couldn't hit the road till probably 5 pm, and arrive at Batsto by 6:30 or 7 pm.

Wise Old Owl
04-08-2013, 22:07
Headed to MAHHA...

fishbait
04-09-2013, 09:02
Wish I could have done either MAHHA or this one, but I have a prior obligation for Saturday, NJ State Agro Fair. Sunday I head out for my Appalachian Section Hike in Connecticut.

njredneck
04-09-2013, 17:49
According to the reservation website everything is booked at mullica river camp that weekend

silentorpheus
04-09-2013, 18:02
According to the reservation website everything is booked at mullica river camp that weekend

Hrm. I didn't actually think to check on that. :)

SilvrSurfr
04-09-2013, 20:03
Lower Forge is available! You've hiked it before; you can hike it again.

jerzybears
04-10-2013, 09:26
Sorry Buddy..going to MAHHA. Hope you don't find any ticks!!

SilvrSurfr
04-10-2013, 23:47
Good news - my son's baseball game is at 12:30 pm, so I can probably hit the road by 3:00 pm at the latest, and be at Batsto by 4:30 pm.

So, SilentOrpheus, can you make it to Lower Forge? Do I need to carry some of your gear to help you make it? I'm a crippled old man rehabbing from a torn MCL but I'm feeling mighty sprightly after a few days of physical therapy.

We could always drop a car off not far from Lower Forge (there's a parking lot for the horsey set not a mile from there) and you could slack pack.

silentorpheus
04-10-2013, 23:58
Good news - my son's baseball game is at 12:30 pm, so I can probably hit the road by 3:00 pm at the latest, and be at Batsto by 4:30 pm.

So, SilentOrpheus, can you make it to Lower Forge? Do I need to carry some of your gear to help you make it? I'm a crippled old man rehabbing from a torn MCL but I'm feeling mighty sprightly after a few days of physical therapy.

We could always drop a car off not far from Lower Forge (there's a parking lot for the horsey set not a mile from there) and you could slack pack.

Laugh it up. :laugh:

Yeah, I think I'm in. I was actually thinking Atsion to Lower Forge. Down the Mullica trail, cut over to Quakerbridge, and up to Lower Forge - according to the map I have that should be 5.7 miles.

Guess I should order a new pack - sold my golite, so I need a new one. I'll get on that.

Gimme a call or shoot me a PM, and we can discuss.

SilvrSurfr
04-11-2013, 00:58
Laugh it up. :laugh:

Yeah, I think I'm in. I was actually thinking Atsion to Lower Forge. Down the Mullica trail, cut over to Quakerbridge, and up to Lower Forge - according to the map I have that should be 5.7 miles.

Guess I should order a new pack - sold my golite, so I need a new one. I'll get on that.

Gimme a call or shoot me a PM, and we can discuss.

Sounds good - I've done that trip once, I think. Mighty scenic. Epic!

And very few ticks on that trail.

silentorpheus
04-11-2013, 10:20
And very few ticks on that trail.

+1 and :thumbup: to this.

silentorpheus
04-13-2013, 10:17
It's somewhat official. Atsion to Lower Forge (5.7 miles) sometime on Saturday, 4/27 - overnight, then back out on Sunday.

Campsite is filling up fast it looks like, but all are welcome.

Pro Vagabond
04-13-2013, 20:36
If the wife ends up working that weekend, I'm in. I have to work until late on Friday, so the MAHHA is out (to far to drive for just an overnight), but a quick trip to the Pine barrens may be in order. I won't know until next weekend, but I'll let you know asap.

Pro V.

SilvrSurfr
04-13-2013, 22:06
If the wife ends up working that weekend, I'm in. I have to work until late on Friday, so the MAHHA is out (too far to drive for just an overnight), but a quick trip to the Pine Barrens may be in order. I won't know until next weekend, but I'll let you know asap.

Pro V.

It'd be great to hang with you at Lower Forge again, ProV. It was a mere 15 months ago that you and I hung "near" Lower Forge. That was one of my first semi-successful night hikes (only got lost a few times). My, how time flies - seems like ages ago.

Jt7yP_zzS5g

silentorpheus
04-14-2013, 00:37
If the wife ends up working that weekend, I'm in. I have to work until late on Friday, so the MAHHA is out (to far to drive for just an overnight), but a quick trip to the Pine barrens may be in order. I won't know until next weekend, but I'll let you know asap.

Pro V.

Sure thing. I reserved one of the sites at Lower Forge - I'll assume that we can add people to the reservation after the fact?

I just hope there are trees at the site I grabbed. This new reservation system is stupid, and that 'map' that they give you to look at is completely un-helpful.

fishbait
04-15-2013, 11:03
Sure thing. I reserved one of the sites at Lower Forge - I'll assume that we can add people to the reservation after the fact?

I just hope there are trees at the site I grabbed. This new reservation system is stupid, and that 'map' that they give you to look at is completely un-helpful.

Sites 4, 5 & 6 have trees next to them. If I remember correctly Site 3 is by fire pit next to the river and doesn't have trees. 1 & 2 may be more bushes than trees. Everything is designed with tent camping in mind.

Pro Vagabond
04-15-2013, 12:20
Some how, my wife got that saturday off also (that makes 3 in a row), so I'll be unable to join. Have fun (but not too much :rolleyes:)

Pro V.

silentorpheus
04-15-2013, 12:48
Sites 4, 5 & 6 have trees next to them. If I remember correctly Site 3 is by fire pit next to the river and doesn't have trees. 1 & 2 may be more bushes than trees. Everything is designed with tent camping in mind.

I think I grabbed site 7, as that was what was avialable when I looked. Hopefully it has trees. If not, I'm sure we'll find somewhere to hang.

When we're there, I'll do a little survey, and report back as to which sites are hang friendly and which aren't.

JollyGreen
04-15-2013, 12:52
So you guys are going to bypass MAHHA????

silentorpheus
04-15-2013, 13:08

It's not bypassing so much as substituting under duress.

I can't get away for the whole weekend. Nor can I justify (to myself or my wife) driving so far to go to MAHHA for one night, as much as I'd love to. So my compromise was that I'll just pop down to the pine barrens for an overnight - at least I get out for a little while, get to stretch my legs, and I keep the wife happy by only being an hour away not hour(s) away.

:cool:

SilvrSurfr
04-15-2013, 15:03

I don't want to miss spring MAHHA, but I'm stuck managing my son's little league baseball team and we have a game Saturday. Additionally, I've never attended a group hang without a pre-hike (and don't want to), and I have doctor's orders that I can't do elevation due to my recent car accident and damage to my knees.

So a little 5.7 mile toodle in the Pine Barrens sounds pretty sweet to me.

JollyGreen
04-15-2013, 17:44
I don't want to miss spring MAHHA, but I'm stuck managing my son's little league baseball team and we have a game Saturday. Additionally, I've never attended a group hang without a pre-hike (and don't want to), and I have doctor's orders that I can't do elevation due to my recent car accident and damage to my knees.

So a little 5.7 mile toodle in the Pine Barrens sounds pretty sweet to me.

But...the little 5.7 mile toodle could turn into??? Yep, I've been reading lol

Deadphans
04-15-2013, 18:26
I will be there. Would be great to meet a fellow hf'er. Thinking of doing batsto to mullica river camp. I'm bringing along two ground dwellers as well. It'll be good to have you, and other fellow hangers, so we can put the ground dwellers in awe and crave a wonderful hammock.

I plan on leaving early and getting to batsto around 9. Will this work for you?

Edit: upon further reading, mind if we join at lower forge?

silentorpheus
04-15-2013, 19:23
I will be there. Would be great to meet a fellow hf'er. Thinking of doing batsto to mullica river camp. I'm bringing along two ground dwellers as well. It'll be good to have you, and other fellow hangers, so we can put the ground dwellers in awe and crave a wonderful hammock.

I plan on leaving early and getting to batsto around 9. Will this work for you?

Edit: upon further reading, mind if we join at lower forge?

The more the merrier.

Here's the deal for now - I reserved camp site 7 at Lower Forge, for 2 people (SilvrSurfr and I). I'm not sure how the new system works exactly (first time reserving since the change) but I'll assume I can add people to it. But it maxes out at 2 tents, 6 people. There's still one campsite left, Number 8.

If you're pretty positive you'll make it, you may want to consider grabbing that one - especially if you have some folks in tents. I'm not sure if hammocks/tarps count towards the 2 tent total. Easiest way to find out is to call and ask - I'll try and get around to that in the next few days if I can.

I think SS and I are planning on meeting up and hitting the trail a little later, since he has a baseball game earlier on Saturday. But that doesn't mean you'd have to wait for us if you want to hit the trail earlier.

I'll pull my thoughts together more later, and think this through a bit better.

Deadphans
04-15-2013, 19:51
Oh great ss is going! Hes practically my neighbor. Good to see he can get out and play. I will try calling and seeing what I can do. I know tomorrow is going to be a late day at work for me, so hopefully Wednesday will be okay and it won't be filled.

SilvrSurfr
04-15-2013, 20:20
My knees are feeling pretty good, considering I've done absolutely no physical activity since a car accident wrecked my knees (torn MCL, bone bruises, etc.) in December. I have had a few physical therapy sessions, which really helped.

At my son's baseball practice today, I found myself shagging fly balls, running full speed backwards without thinking. I even caught a few! Of course, that kind of activity is frowned upon by my doctor and physical therapist, but it was really encouraging from a hiking perspective. I think I'm good to go for a little 5.7 mile jaunt.

silentorpheus
04-15-2013, 21:03
My knees are feeling pretty good, considering I've done absolutely no physical activity since a car accident wrecked my knees (torn MCL, bone bruises, etc.) in December. I have had a few physical therapy sessions, which really helped.

At my son's baseball practice today, I found myself shagging fly balls, running full speed backwards without thinking. I even caught a few! Of course, that kind of activity is frowned upon by my doctor and physical therapist, but it was really encouraging from a hiking perspective. I think I'm good to go for a little 5.7 mile jaunt.

My knee has been acting up lately, and I didn't have any crazy car accident. I wouldn't be surprised if you handle the little jaunt better than I do. :cool:

I will try calling and seeing what I can do. I know tomorrow is going to be a late day at work for me, so hopefully Wednesday will be okay and it won't be filled.

Let me know how it turns out. And like I said, I'll try and call and make sure we can add to my reservation, just in case. Who knows what they'll let you do now that they have their new fangled system.

silentorpheus
04-17-2013, 09:26
Oh great ss is going! Hes practically my neighbor. Good to see he can get out and play. I will try calling and seeing what I can do. I know tomorrow is going to be a late day at work for me, so hopefully Wednesday will be okay and it won't be filled.

Online system still shows one site available - site 8.

Just got off the phone with the Batsto office. I can add people to the reservation I have either online or at the office - so just let me know your plans.

Deadphans
04-17-2013, 20:29
this is great. I am definitely in. Whether or not the other two come I am not sure. They sounded pretty optimistic in going. But me personally, knowing that you two are going to be there I will definitely go.

If my two friends go it might be best to get the campsite 8. I am sure we are going to want to drink and we may make too much noise (not crazy, just talking and such). However, if I go with you two it would be really nice to chip in on the site.

I will keep you updated.

P.S. Is there a charge for cancelling a site reservation? Just in case?

SilvrSurfr
04-17-2013, 22:16
this is great. I am definitely in. Whether or not the other two come I am not sure. They sounded pretty optimistic in going. But me personally, knowing that you two are going to be there I will definitely go.

If my two friends go it might be best to get the campsite 8. I am sure we are going to want to drink and we may make too much noise (not crazy, just talking and such). However, if I go with you two it would be really nice to chip in on the site.

I will keep you updated.

If it gets cold for some reason, I'm gonna loan you an underquilt. No backing out because of your UQ!

silentorpheus
04-17-2013, 22:16

I will keep you updated.

There is a charge - it's something like the reservation fee, plus one full night's permit cost. So for a one nighter, it's basically everything you paid. Luckily, to reserve a site is only $12.

SilvrSurfr
04-17-2013, 22:26
BTW, SilentOrpheus has a music degree, and any time you hang with him, he requires that we all sing Star-Spangled Banner (in three-part harmony) before setting up.

As a Red Sox fan, I require that we sing Sweet Caroline during the seventh inning stretch. Know the lyrics of both songs. No mouthing the words.

njredneck
04-18-2013, 04:59
BTW, SilentOrpheus has a music degree, and any time you hang with him, he requires that we all sing Star-Spangled Banner (in three-part harmony) before setting up.

As a Red Sox fan, I require that we sing Sweet Caroline during the seventh inning stretch. Know the lyrics of both songs. No mouthing the words.

Dont forget "ROXANNE"

kayak karl
04-18-2013, 05:15
Dont forget "ROXANNE"
don't you mean "ROSILITA" if SS is your guide
"all stuck in the mud, somewhere in the swamps of Jersey" :D

silentorpheus
04-18-2013, 12:13
Roxanne is SO approved.

Sweet Caroline is not.

SilvrSurfr
04-18-2013, 13:03
Dont forget "ROXANNE"

The coyotes always want to mate with me when I sing that.

SilvrSurfr
04-18-2013, 13:06
don't you mean "ROSILITA" if SS is your guide
"all stuck in the mud, somewhere in the swamps of Jersey" :D

Yes, I'll be giving a special midnight tour of all the places I've gotten lost in the Pine Barrens. It will be a long tour.

silentorpheus
04-18-2013, 16:57
Yes, I'll be giving a special midnight tour of all the places I've gotten lost in the Pine Barrens. It will be a long tour.

Not really. All you have to do is point expansively to the pine barrens as a whole. I mean, where HAVEN'T you been lost out there? :rolleyes:

silentorpheus
04-18-2013, 21:12
Got my new pack in the mail yesterday. So I'm reading and itching to get out and try it. :D

SilvrSurfr
04-19-2013, 22:40
Got my new pack in the mail yesterday. So I'm reading and itching to get out and try it. :D

What did you buy?

silentorpheus
04-19-2013, 23:19
What did you buy?

I splurged and got a ULA circuit :)

fishbait
04-20-2013, 09:08
I splurged and got a ULA circuit :)

Good choice

silentorpheus
04-20-2013, 21:58
Good choice

I'm hoping so. We'll know after next weekend. :D

Silent Bob
04-21-2013, 07:59
There is a charge - it's something like the reservation fee, plus one full night's permit cost. So for a one nighter, it's basically everything you paid. Luckily, to reserve a site is only $12.

So it's true there is a $9 fee for online reservations now? Last month i hiked Batona trail and when i went to get my permit the office was closed. One of the park workers was nice enough to take my info and leave it on desk,so at least they knew i was out there. The following day hiking thru batsto i stopped in office to pay for my permit and the lady was not very kind for what I did.She was telling me how i should have went online to setup my reservation. When i left the office I saw the same Park worker and he was telling me about the $9 fee and how an outside company is actually getting that money.
If that's true it's wrong. The park could use the money for trail maintance or maybe rebuild a certain bridge :rolleyes:..

Deadphans
04-21-2013, 14:33
Rofl, I enjoy all those songs so three part harmonies will work, i'm more of a tenor than anything, a bit falcetto makes me feel my voice is a bit better lol.

If that is indeed how the fee system works, that is wrong! The park could certainly use the money, last I was there trails were overgrown and markers were faded. Making the tick situation worse, and getting lost easier.

Ula circuit! Good! I've been thinking of getting one but afraid since I couldnt see it. That ends this coming weekend :thumbup:

And extra uq! Thank you! I am willing to bet that night time lows will not be below my current uq rating. Although we are under a frost advisory for tonight...

silentorpheus
04-21-2013, 21:07
I dunno - they usually appear to be pretty short staffed. So if they can let someone else handle the reservations, and that company charges a fee for the convenience ... so be it. Although $9 is a little rude. I don't even think Ticketmaster charges that much.

Then again, what bothers me is the way the whole reservation system works now. It used to be that the camp grounds could hold a bunch of people - Batona can easily hold 50+ people. But now you can 'reserve' the entire camp with 19 people. And even the reservation site says the camps still accept walk up reservations on a first come first serve basis. So I wonder how that works.

I guess we'll see how it all works out. It's a new system - maybe they'll fix the kinks.

SilvrSurfr
04-21-2013, 21:47
I dunno - they usually appear to be pretty short staffed. So if they can let someone else handle the reservations, and that company charges a fee for the convenience ... so be it. Although $9 is a little rude. I don't even think Ticketmaster charges that much.

Then again, what bothers me is the way the whole reservation system works now. It used to be that the camp grounds could hold a bunch of people - Batona can easily hold 50+ people. But now you can 'reserve' the entire camp with 19 people. And even the reservation site says the camps still accept walk up reservations on a first come first serve basis. So I wonder how that works.

I guess we'll see how it all works out. It's a new system - maybe they'll fix the kinks.

Batona's capacity is 100+ according to what the rangers told me last year. I know I went once (maybe with you, don't remember) and there were 45 Scouts and another 20 or 30 people from the horsey set.

Now that I think of it, I'm sure I was hanging with you, when the guy walked by and said, "Wow, you guys are hard-core campers." I guess he thought we were sleeping on the ground under our tarps.

I do wonder the motivations for the new system. The skeptic in me says it's a way to lay someone off. On the other hand, it is a great convenience to people to reserve online, and the reduced number of people at each campsite (whether intended or not) does give folks a bit of elbow room and enhance the wilderness experience.

The $3 we used to pay was kind of symbolic - I don't think it paid for trail upkeep or anything. I think it was just a way to track who was using the forest. Seems a real ripoff that they tack an additional $9 on just for the convenience of online reservations. It would be nice if the money went to the forest, not to some vendor.

I get the feeling that a lot of weekend warriors are booking sites and never even camp. They book a site "in case" they can get their lard butts off the couch and then never go. That's the injustice of this system. People are probably reserving campsites they never use, and the people who actually get out in the woods have no place to camp.

Deadphans
04-21-2013, 22:32

so basically if they as little as doubled the amount of people who can reserve (assuming the new system is stating the new capacity, and yet it can hold a 100 plus) they could charge 4.50. This doesn't make sense lol.

This sort of leads me to believe that if I showed up with money and asked for a site even though there were 19 people there I would not be turned away.

Silent Bob
04-21-2013, 22:36
You can still walk up and pay $3 a night if sites are available. I guess late fall to early spring that will be ok. SS it's funny you mentioned the weekend warrior. When I went back to batsto the following day to pay the lady asked me what site I stayed at. I told her the number and she said that site was booked. I told her I was the only one at the camp ground. She then told me 3 other sites had been booked online. The parks worker I was talking to said there was a change in management and they went to online system like the rest of NJ state parks.

silentorpheus
04-21-2013, 22:51
Yeah, that bothers me a bit ... the fact that it's easy to book a site but not bother to go, effectively blocking people who actually want to camp out.

How much you want to bet that Mullica camp isn't really full this weekend, and that there aren't 7 other groups at Lower Forge when we get there.

SilvrSurfr
04-21-2013, 23:17
Yeah, that bothers me a bit ... the fact that it's easy to book a site but not bother to go, effectively blocking people who actually want to camp out.

How much you want to bet that Mullica camp isn't really full this weekend, and that there aren't 7 other groups at Lower Forge when we get there.

I'd bet a small fortune. I've never seen seven groups at Lower Forge. There are a lot of car campers that try to make it to Mullica River by foot. I've seen families walking along carrying coolers and camp chairs and such. It must be hard to carry a cooler four miles.

The clever ones park about 1.5 miles north of Mullica and have to drag all their crap less far. The roads must not be that bad to Mullica. Still, it's funny seeing the odd drag marks in the sand on that stretch. Dragging a cooler 1.5 miles sounds a lot better than four miles, but you're still dragging a cooler, which can't be fun.

I've yet to see a car camper at Lower Forge, even though there's a parking lot just about 1/3 of a mile from Lower Forge that hunters use. I'm guessing the roads aren't so good to Lower Forge and the car campers are afraid the minivan won't make it. Nevertheless, I do see a lot of cars at Quaker Bridge, and that's only about a mile or so from Lower Forge.

Even the craziest car camper won't drag a cooler 7.5 miles, so that's why Lower Forge is usually less occupied.

silentorpheus
04-21-2013, 23:57
I'd bet a small fortune. I've never seen seven groups at Lower Forge. There are a lot of car campers that try to make it to Mullica River by foot. I've seen families walking along carrying coolers and camp chairs and such. It must be hard to carry a cooler four miles.

The clever ones park about 1.5 miles north of Mullica and have to drag all their crap less far. The roads must not be that bad to Mullica. Still, it's funny seeing the odd drag marks in the sand on that stretch. Dragging a cooler 1.5 miles sounds a lot better than four miles, but you're still dragging a cooler, which can't be fun.

I've yet to see a car camper at Lower Forge, even though there's a parking lot just about 1/3 of a mile from Lower Forge that hunters use. I'm guessing the roads aren't so good to Lower Forge and the car campers are afraid the minivan won't make it. Nevertheless, I do see a lot of cars at Quaker Bridge, and that's only about a mile or so from Lower Forge.

Even the craziest car camper won't drag a cooler 7.5 miles, so that's why Lower Forge is usually less occupied.

Well, if there's not a lot of people, we can spread out, or hang wherever we like.

I would have liked to try staying at Mullica - both because the only time I've been there was when we passed through on the way to LF ... that and the fact that there's water.

Eh, more likely we'll be left alone at LF anyway. It's been a stressful few weeks, and this week isn't looking to be any better. So I'm really looking forward to a walk and hang to clear my head - and I plan to bring plenty of scotch. :cool:

Deadphans
04-22-2013, 17:08
I am with you on that silent! Working 7 days a week and long hours is beating me up...I can't wait to have this weekend to myself and hang with the hangers of hf! Its gonna be great.

kayak karl
04-22-2013, 18:20
You can still walk up and pay $3 a night if sites are available. I guess late fall to early spring that will be ok. SS it's funny you mentioned the weekend warrior. When I went back to batsto the following day to pay the lady asked me what site I stayed at. I told her the number and she said that site was booked. I told her I was the only one at the camp ground. She then told me 3 other sites had been booked online. The parks worker I was talking to said there was a change in management and they went to online system like the rest of NJ state parks.you still pay the $9 even if you walk-in. i got a waver for the winter hang this year, but not next year.

kayak karl
04-22-2013, 18:23
so basically if they as little as doubled the amount of people who can reserve (assuming the new system is stating the new capacity, and yet it can hold a 100 plus) they could charge 4.50. This doesn't make sense lol.

This sort of leads me to believe that if I showed up with money and asked for a site even though there were 19 people there I would not be turned away.
there are site numbers now. they never were before. if all SITES are booked you are out of luck. hike the Batona trail and camp in 3 different parks you pay the $9 three times.

Silent Bob
04-22-2013, 20:13
I walked the Batona trail last month and didn't have to pay the surcharge. I guess I got lucky. The park worker I spoke to did mention they was going to hit you with the surcharge for each night if you did it online. He also said that was still undetermined. If that's the case why don't they just say a nights stay is 12 dollars instead of telling you 9 dollars is surcharge? Karl thanks for the info.

kayak karl
04-22-2013, 20:20
I walked the Batona trail last month and didn't have to pay the surcharge. I guess I got lucky. The park worker I spoke to did mention they was going to hit you with the surcharge for each night if you did it online. He also said that was still undetermined. If that's the case why don't they just say a nights stay is 12 dollars instead of telling you 9 dollars is surcharge? Karl thanks for the info.
because its $9 plus $3 PER person. so it can be 12 to 27 with 6 people.

silentorpheus
04-22-2013, 21:49

Well, technically the $9 charge is per reservation. So if you stay at three camps on your trek, you have to make 3 reservations, hence $9 each time. If you stay at the same camp for 3 days, you make 1 reservation. In that case it's just $9 + $3 per person per night.

Silent Bob
04-23-2013, 08:02
I usually just pay for myself so I wasn't thinking group. Enjoy your hike guys. I'll be up in Connecticut doing a section hike starting that weekend.

silentorpheus
04-23-2013, 08:40
I usually just pay for myself so I wasn't thinking group. Enjoy your hike guys. I'll be up in Connecticut doing a section hike starting that weekend.

Nice. Enjoy the AT.

Hopefully the folks at Wharton get things worked out and this reservation thing doesn't cause too many issues. I'd hate to have to rule out a quick jaunt to the pine barrens in the future because all the sites are booked and no one's actually there using them.

kayak karl
04-23-2013, 09:29
Well, technically the $9 charge is per reservation. So if you stay at three camps on your trek, you have to make 3 reservations, hence $9 each time. If you stay at the same camp for 3 days, you make 1 reservation. In that case it's just $9 + $3 per person per night.but that is 3 different state parks. Brenden Byrne, Wharton, Bass river. they didn't work that bug out yet.

silentorpheus
04-23-2013, 10:21
but that is 3 different state parks. Brenden Byrne, Wharton, Bass river. they didn't work that bug out yet.

I think we're both pointing out the same idiosyncrasy, from different sides :D

If I want to go from Batsto to Lower forge, then the next day to Batona, then the next day to Mullica, then back to Batsto, I don't think I can make one 'reservation' to cover all that. Each campsite I reserve needs to be a separate transaction, doesn't it? Even though they are all in Wharton?

Deadphans
04-23-2013, 18:07
Don't I (we) pay for this in taxes already?

silentorpheus
04-23-2013, 18:28
Regardless, I got off topic in my own thread. :laugh:

Back to the subject!

This weekend. Atsion to Lower Forge. Good times had by all. :thumbup1:

silentorpheus
04-23-2013, 21:08
Looks like the weather will be nice. Highs in the 60's, lows in the low to mid 40's. Partly sunny/cloudy. Not much chance of rain.

:D

silentorpheus
04-24-2013, 08:58
We're only a couple days away. So far it's just me, SS, Deadphans, and perhaps a guest or two of his.

If there's anyone else interested, let me know. Otherwise I'm going to start with details via PM, to make things easier.

kayak karl
04-26-2013, 19:10
be careful http://www.nbc40.net/story/22089665/brush-fire-burning-on-island-in-mullica-river

silentorpheus
04-26-2013, 19:57
be careful http://www.nbc40.net/story/22089665/brush-fire-burning-on-island-in-mullica-river

Thanks for the heads up, Karl.

Looks like it was contained, and over and done with earlier ... but I'll keep an eye on it, and evaluate tomorrow morning.

SilvrSurfr
04-26-2013, 23:05
My 21-year-old son is home from college in Boston and is coming with us. I have to loan him everything, from socks to underwear to hammock, tarp, etc. Can't he buy his own stuff?

My torn MCL is telling me this is not a good idea. I walked a couple of miles the other day and MCL was barking the next morning. Then again, I did not deploy the secret weapon (aspirin). This is all part of the rehab.

silentorpheus
04-27-2013, 00:04
My 21-year-old son is home from college in Boston and is coming with us. I have to loan him everything, from socks to underwear to hammock, tarp, etc. Can't he buy his own stuff?

My torn MCL is telling me this is not a good idea. I walked a couple of miles the other day and MCL was barking the next morning. Then again, I did not deploy the secret weapon (aspirin). This is all part of the rehab.

I'll bring an extra knee brace for you ... I've got two.

Deadphans
04-28-2013, 18:28
Next time definitely let me know. Want to meet you folks.

It got a bit colder than I had thought last night. Felt more like mid to upper 30's. I messed around with my UQ but when I got it dialed in I was pretty good. Had my DIY tq and the JCP puffer jacket. If only I had remembered my hat my bald head wouldn't have been so cold lol.

silentorpheus
04-28-2013, 18:40
Next time definitely let me know. Want to meet you folks.

It got a bit colder than I had thought last night. Felt more like mid to upper 30's. I messed around with my UQ but when I got it dialed in I was pretty good. Had my DIY tq and the JCP puffer jacket. If only I had remembered my hat my bald head wouldn't have been so cold lol.

We had 35 or so at lower forge last night.

Deadphans
04-29-2013, 18:39
Good to hear that from a reliable source so I know further the reliability of my gear.