PDA

View Full Version : Texas Butt Bake 2013 Discussion

sargevining
04-10-2013, 14:08
1. Do we want to have another?

2. If so, what date? I favor either the weekend of Aug 17 or Aug 24. The full moon that month is on the 21st, so we should have good light either weekend.

3. If so, where? I kind of favor Hidden Lake on the LSHT. Friday night at the Hunter's Camp, then hike to HL on Saturday AM.

CooOkieCOOon
04-10-2013, 14:11
Yes, yes & yes.
Count me in. :)

Caveman
04-10-2013, 14:33
It kinda depends..... Who's doing the planning? :)

CooOkieCOOon
04-10-2013, 14:35

Lol. You ain't right.

Gresh
04-10-2013, 14:44
I've been looking for an excuse to see Texas, but goot lawd...August? It's gotta be hotter than seven hells.

Brute1100
04-10-2013, 14:46
I've been looking for an excuse to see Texas, but goot lawd...August? It's gotta be hotter than seven hells.

Hence the name :)

I would be interested...

sargevining
04-10-2013, 14:49

We are. Right here. Not gonna jinx it this time.

Better be cookies, though.

spaceweaseal
04-10-2013, 14:51
It all sounds good to me if I am not already on lockdown by then..
I might be on Baby Watch....

sargevining
04-10-2013, 14:55

Gresh;

To familiarize you with the Spirit and Purpose of this Heroic Endeavor, here is the Mission Statement:

This winter we were shown pictures and video of bearded men swathed in many layers of down and fleece, hunched over fires and entombed in hammocks engulfed by top and underquilts of fearsome dimensions. We watched as they spoke to us from within them as condensaton rose from thier ashen faces, frost bibs secured around their necks, trumpeting their acheivement in defying sub zero temperatures merely by the clever use of fabric.

It is time that we, Men Of The South, Men Of TEXAS! show them true adventure! We shall show them that the greater feat is in surviving temperatures that can be defied only by enduring them! We cannot take off enough clothing or sleep gear to protect us from vicissitudes of weather that WE face!

Imagine pictures and video of hardy men, sweat glistening off of thier bodies, cheerily hoisting flagons of iced tea with nothing but a pair of Ray Bans and cargo shorts to protect themselves from the sunlight! Imagine the awe with which they will view us and the glory that will be ours!!

spaceweaseal
04-10-2013, 14:56
Yeah, June, (maybe July) is my last month of freedom for a while....

sargevining
04-10-2013, 14:58
Yeah, June is my last month of freedom for a while....

I may have amassed enough Boy Friend points to be able to go out pretty soon---maybe twice before July.

Gresh
04-10-2013, 15:00
It can't be THAT different from a SC summer. Of course, I'm sweat-drenched and drinking iced tea sitting here typing this...

I'll be paying attention to this planning. I've got something big happening in November when means I have to be close to home for several months prior to and after the event, but if I can break away (and convince the wife that Texas would be a great place for me to be for a weekend), I might actually try to come.

spaceweaseal
04-10-2013, 15:01
Imagine pictures and video of hardy men, sweat glistening off of thier bodies, cheerily hoisting flagons of iced tea with nothing but a pair of Ray Bans and cargo shorts to protect themselves from the sunlight! Imagine the awe with which they will view us and the glory that will be ours!![/I][/QUOTE]

What kind of Butt Bake are we planing here?

O, heck
Sarge is planing a Broke Back Hidden Lake Hang:eek:

sargevining
04-10-2013, 15:14
Imagine pictures and video of hardy men, sweat glistening off of thier bodies, cheerily hoisting flagons of iced tea with nothing but a pair of Ray Bans and cargo shorts to protect themselves from the sunlight! Imagine the awe with which they will view us and the glory that will be ours!!

What kind of Butt Bake are we planing here?

O, heck
Sarge is planing a Broke Back Hidden Lake Hang:eek:

I'm thinking of adding a "Race To The Lake" contest. Three groups, three routes. (http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/LSHT_06_fournotch_shaded.pdf)

Route 1: LSHT to Four Notch Loop to Hidden Lake

Route 2: Four Notch Loop to Hidden Lake

Route 3: The Old Trail Sarge Found Last Time.

There might be some interesting prizes-----

spaceweaseal
04-10-2013, 15:19
ITS RIGGED!

Sarge found the fast rout so I'm in his group.....

CooOkieCOOon
04-10-2013, 15:40
ITS RIGGED!

Sarge found the fast rout so I'm in his group.....

Uhh.. Do you not remember the bush wacking done on the last trip to hidden lake?? Lol

spaceweaseal
04-10-2013, 15:42
Uhh.. Do you not remember the bush wacking done on the last trip to hidden lake?? Lol

Yes but on the last day on the way back to the cars, Sarge split off from the group. He found a rout to the lake and almost beat all of us back....

2Questions
04-10-2013, 15:45
Imagine pictures and video of hardy men, sweat glistening off of thier bodies, cheerily hoisting flagons of iced tea with nothing but a pair of Ray Bans and cargo shorts to protect themselves from the sunlight! Imagine the awe with which they will view us and the glory that will be ours!![/I]

...ZQ (Donna) here....Ummm...I'm trying...really trying....OK..seeing it...in my worst nightmare!:lol:

sargevining
04-10-2013, 15:47
...ZQ (Donna) here....Ummm...I'm trying...really trying....OK..seeing it...in my worst nightmare!:lol:

Does it help if we tell you that a few of us aren't overweight and out of shape?

sargevining
04-10-2013, 15:48
Yes but on the last day on the way back to the cars, Sarge split off from the group. He found a rout to the lake and almost beat all of us back....

And took a 15 minute rest at the lake AND got lost and had to back track about a half mile----

spaceweaseal
04-10-2013, 15:48
Does it help if we tell you that a few of us aren't overweight and out of shape?

Man that's just rude!
Donna seems like a nice lady, so don't lie to her.:lol:

2Questions
04-10-2013, 15:53

:lol::lol::lol: Well...umm...thinking...nope...not at all!:D

Caveman
04-10-2013, 16:31
I'm going to choose to opt out of the Weaseal/Sarge group. At the first BB they spent about 9 hours looking for a pond that was supposed to be about 3/4 of a mile away. They "claim" they found it, but they can't agree on which pond it was and they both had GPS and maps? :) No thanks.

sargevining
04-10-2013, 16:33
I'm going to choose to opt out of the Weaseal/Sarge group. At the first BB they spent about 9 hours looking for a pond that was supposed to be about 3/4 of a mile away. They "claim" they found it, but they can't agree on which pond it was and they both had GPS and maps? :) No thanks.

Actually, I had neither GPS or map.

But other than that, its a pretty good description of the event.

So, I'll put you down for the "Four Notch Death March" Group. I'm gonna get Gimpy to lead that one----

Brute1100
04-10-2013, 16:37
Looking at my calender... 17th is a no go 24th is awesome... So that's my vote...

I'll lead cavemans group :)

spaceweaseal
04-10-2013, 17:01
Have fun guys..
I can't make this one...

sargevining
04-10-2013, 17:20
For the more adventurous, there is a fourth route to Hidden Lake from Parking Lot #9. About 13.5 miles.

Mileage from Hunter Camp via Four Notch: about 5
Mileage from Hunter Camp via LSHT: about 6
Mileage on the Secret Path: about 3 1/2

Brute1100
04-10-2013, 17:26
Anyone got a good map that has the names and locations listed that we are talking about...

sargevining
04-10-2013, 17:37
Anyone got a good map that has the names and locations listed that we are talking about...

Four Notch Loop and LSHT from Parking Lot #8:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/LSHT_06_fournotch_shaded.pdf

LSHT from FS202 to Parking Lot 9:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/LSHT_07_bigwoods_shaded.pdf

Others can be found here:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps.html

Wood
04-10-2013, 19:11
Gresh;

To familiarize you with the Spirit and Purpose of this Heroic Endeavor, here is the Mission Statement:

This winter we were shown pictures and video of bearded men swathed in many layers of down and fleece, hunched over fires and entombed in hammocks engulfed by top and underquilts of fearsome dimensions. We watched as they spoke to us from within them as condensaton rose from thier ashen faces, frost bibs secured around their necks, trumpeting their acheivement in defying sub zero temperatures merely by the clever use of fabric.

It is time that we, Men Of The South, Men Of TEXAS! show them true adventure! We shall show them that the greater feat is in surviving temperatures that can be defied only by enduring them! We cannot take off enough clothing or sleep gear to protect us from vicissitudes of weather that WE face!

Don't forget about the mosquitos the size of condors, which could carry a 250 lb man off!

Notare
04-10-2013, 20:01
Will be backpacking in Colorado. Spending some time in elevation and shoulder weather.

Klanecfsb
04-10-2013, 20:24
if work works out, then im in....death march then butt bake.....you guys really know how make something as comfortable as sleeping in a hammock sound like hell.

sargevining
04-10-2013, 21:02
Don't forget about the mosquitos the size of condors, which could carry a 250 lb man off!

IIRC, at the Was Gonna Be The LSHT A to B to C Hang But Changed To The Pre-Fairfield Hang I heard two of them talking to each other just outside my bugnet.

First Mosquito: "Should we eat him here or take him back to the nest?"

Second Mosquito: "If we take him back to the nest, the big guys will take him from us."

if work works out, then im in....death march then butt bake.....you guys really know how make something as comfortable as sleeping in a hammock sound like hell.

Don't worry. I think sometime in May or June we should have the Spaceweaseal Baby Shower Hang

gmcpcs
04-12-2013, 14:20
If you guys get serious about planning this, let me know, I am more in favor of the 8/17 weekend, as the other is the first day of school on that Monday. I need to quit driving 5+ hours to these group hangs and plan one for ya'll to come up here:)

Some ideas I'm kicking around, but haven't got to the point of starting a separate thread: (exposure to the LSHT groupies)

Caprock Canyons Trailway? (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/caprock-canyons)

Palo Duro Canyon (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon)? (maybe more trees there)

I can guarantee 110+ degree temperatures, no humidity though.

I'm also trying to get some leads on accessing some private land for a walking hike/hang, probably call this one "Wild Hog Heaven (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&authuser=0&msa=0&output=kml&msid=210698005657605310934.0004da2eadaf2c099004d)".

(The above link may not work, it's a Google Earth thing)

Anyway, I just get inspiration from reading all of ya'lls adventures :)

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

Brute1100
04-12-2013, 15:23
Are you saying we are not serious???

What would lead you to believe we are not serious :) we are ALWAYS serious on this forum :)

sargevining
04-12-2013, 15:35
What's not serious of sweat glistened bodies and flagons of ice tea?

gmcpcs
04-12-2013, 15:36
Are you saying we are not serious???

What would lead you to believe we are not serious :) we are ALWAYS serious on this forum :)

This is how I would measure serious: The "cookie coon" promises cookies, AND delivers! :lol:

gospidey
04-12-2013, 16:45
Palo Duro and Caprock Canyons are definitely on my list of wanna dos.

sargevining
04-12-2013, 16:52
Palo Duro and Caprock Canyons are definitely on my list of wanna dos.

Same here. I'd love to do all 60 miles of Caprock trail, even if the trees are kind of scrawny.

Cookiecoonwhisperer
04-12-2013, 18:50
This is how I would measure serious: The "cookie coon" promises cookies, AND delivers! :lol:

Your misfortune was very unlikely. Sadly true, the Cookie Coon came empty handed.. It's a rarity though.. ;)

spaceweaseal
04-12-2013, 22:19
I am trying to work everything out where I can make the Bake.....

"Make The Bake"

sargevining
04-13-2013, 11:40
Dude;

Which weekend would you think might work best?

spaceweaseal
04-13-2013, 13:23
Dude;

Which weekend would you think might work best?

Well I thought I could sneak out sometime in Aug but I was informed that Aug is a No-Go for me. It would have to be in July for me to make it...

Brute1100
04-13-2013, 13:53
July 19-21
July 26-28 both work for me...

spaceweaseal
04-13-2013, 13:56
July 19-21
July 26-28 both work for me...

July 19-21 would be best for me...:D

And July will still bake our butts...

sargevining
04-13-2013, 14:23
July 19-21 works for me.

Any other input?

CooOkieCOOon
04-13-2013, 14:25
July 19-21 works for me.

Any other input?

I'm good for it.

Caveman
04-13-2013, 14:25
Works for me.

spaceweaseal
04-13-2013, 14:33
Man it's on....

CooOkieCOOon
04-13-2013, 14:35
I'm gonna have to come up with a hammock ac system...

sargevining
04-13-2013, 14:35
There being no dissention, and this thread being not as discussion-y as it was at the beginning, the issue is settled and baking of butts will commence Friday, July 19 at Parking Lot Number 8, otherwise known as Four Notch Hunter's Camp on the Lone Star Trail.

Brute1100
04-13-2013, 14:38
Is there going to be a more official thread or is this it...

sargevining
04-13-2013, 14:43
Posting it now

spaceweaseal
04-13-2013, 15:12
I'm gonna have to come up with a hammock ac system...

I used a couple of the 02 cool fans from Wallyworld last bake and they work pretty well. I put them on my RL, one blowing at my chest and one at the top of my head. This year I will prob use another one for my feet..

CooOkieCOOon
04-13-2013, 15:40
I used a couple of the 02 cool fans from Wallyworld last bake and they work pretty well. I put them on my RL, one blowing at my chest and one at the top of my head. This year I will prob use another one for my feet..

You talking about the bottles with the fans on them?

spaceweaseal
04-13-2013, 16:34
You talking about the bottles with the fans on them?

No they have ones that is just the fan. They are nice and small but they do put out some good air..
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/spaceweaseal/2b4feff34637198b5226c14379fd3fd6.jpg

CooOkieCOOon
04-13-2013, 18:51
No they have ones that is just the fan. They are nice and small but they do put out some good air..
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/spaceweaseal/2b4feff34637198b5226c14379fd3fd6.jpg

Awe I see. I'll have to check'm out.

Meanwhile, the niece and I pulled out the TC for a spell after some work at the sisters house. :Dhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/14/eby7ata6.jpg

spaceweaseal
04-13-2013, 19:04
Awe I see. I'll have to check'm out.

Meanwhile, the niece and I pulled out the TC for a spell after some work at the sisters house. :Dhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/14/eby7ata6.jpg

Great pic and It was the perfect day for it. I been out laying in a hammy most of the day