PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird Topcover

fin
02-14-2009, 18:43
So I've been playing around with a topcover for the BB, and I have made one of these, as well as cutting out a pattern for future clones.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/9/0/6/dscn1649_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4985&c=4) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/9/0/6/dscn1651_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4987&c=4) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/9/0/6/dscn1656_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4986&c=4)

I will be posting instructions soon (my first 10 pics are stuck on the camera - the usb port is broken!), but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing around with this topcover and see how they like it. Me, I like a full sock instead of a topcover; but for the gram weenie, this is MUCH lighter than a full sock, and accomplishes the task of holding in heat while still being breathable. It is 1.1 ripstop, untreated.

I won't be checking back in to HF until tomorrow (it is Valentines day, you know,) so if you PM me or post something in this thread tonight, don't expect an immediate response.

attroll
02-14-2009, 19:09
I think I like a full sock better too. I just bought some of this same material today to make a full sock with.

I think a full sock would protect you better then a top cover.

Shug
02-15-2009, 13:14
Shug wants to play under one!!!!!!!! Oh, pretty please Finn.....

warbonnetguy
02-15-2009, 14:00
I think I like a full sock better too. I just bought some of this same material today to make a full sock with.

I think a full sock would protect you better then a top cover.

more protection yes, but if you're using a big tarp for proterction, the top cover is more for heat retention only, and would be much lighter than a full sock and still provide about the same amount of warmth.

Take-a-knee
02-15-2009, 15:12
more protection yes, but if you're using a big tarp for proterction, the top cover is more for heat retention only, and would be much lighter than a full sock and still provide about the same amount of warmth.

So, Macat DLX/ full DWR sock or Superfly/SWT overcover only. I'll bet the weights wouldn't vary much.

attroll
02-15-2009, 15:32
I agree but a top cover like that is going to collect condensation unless you have some type of ventilation.

What I am thinking and this is just a thought because I am no expert. If you have a sock and leave some gaps in each end to let air pass through then that should reduce the condensation buildup some. I have found so far that with a sock I stay a lot warmed as the sides of the BB and any other hammock are not 100% wind resistant. The sock is like a second layer to keep the cold winter winds out.

fin
02-15-2009, 16:01
I agree but a top cover like that is going to collect condensation unless you have some type of ventilation.

What I am thinking and this is just a thought because I am no expert. If you have a sock and leave some gaps in each end to let air pass through then that should reduce the condensation buildup some. I have found so far that with a sock I stay a lot warmed as the sides of the BB and any other hammock are not 100% wind resistant. The sock is like a second layer to keep the cold winter winds out.

I'm hoping you are wrong about the condensation with the topcover, but I admit I haven't tried this model yet. Since it is untreated 1.1 ripstop, it should be very breathable. It will definitely not be as warm as a sock. It will definitely hold more heat in than just the bugnet. But a sock gives you a quick 10* boost in temp - within minutes if not immediately you can tell a differentce inside of the hammock. With a topcover , the heat gain is a little more gradual. IMO, A topcover is more for the 'tweener temps, when it is just not cold enough yet for the protection of a full blown sock, but you want to add a little boost. I view topcovers as 35*- 55* options. I'd want a sock below that, and nothing above that temp.

Hey Attroll, I do want that sock back eventually, so don't fall too in love with it.;):D I'll make you another one before your thru - let's see, that gives me like a year, right?:D Glad to hear the sock has been a good experience for you. How's that thermadrape UQ doing, as well? I need to start working on the instructions for that also.

Oh, and BTW - the topcover was spoken for, so I no longer have one for testing. I'm finishing one more off, as I got two requests for testing. I will not be going into any kind of production with these, but if the testers find that they are adequate and work well, including the fit to the BB, I will post directions for all to copy. Heck, I may do it anyway, just so you DIY-ers can have one more project to play with. It also coincides with my BB sock instructions that I'm working on, so you can get an instructional two-fer.

fin
02-15-2009, 16:05
Does anyone know how to get pics off the built-in memory of a camera if the only external connection on the camera is broken?:cursing: I'll probably have to start all over with the pics - some of the critical pics got taken when I had the memory card removed, and the camera apparently has no way to move them from internal memory to the memory card.:confused: Delaying my instructions.

Ashman
02-15-2009, 16:10
Can you plug the camera straight into the computer via USB port and take directly from the camera?

Ramblinrev
02-15-2009, 16:16
Does anyone know how to get pics off the built-in memory of a camera if the only external connection on the camera is broken?:cursing: I'll probably have to start all over with the pics - some of the critical pics got taken when I had the memory card removed, and the camera apparently has no way to move them from internal memory to the memory card.:confused: Delaying my instructions.

Unless you can move them to a memory card.... I think you may be out of luck.

fin
02-15-2009, 16:23
Unless you can move them to a memory card.... I think you may be out of luck.

That's what I'm afraid of.:cursing: I will have to find the manual, and see if there is any way to do it. I've played with the camera, but it isn't obvious if there is a way. ARRGGHH - that means I have to read a manual - a very unmanly thing to do. :laugh:

attroll
02-15-2009, 16:24
Hey Attroll, I do want that sock back eventually, so don't fall too in love with it.;):D I'll make you another one before your thru - let's see, that gives me like a year, right?:D Glad to hear the sock has been a good experience for you.

The sock is working out great. I bought some material yesterday to try and attempt to make one myself. Well I should say I am not going to sew it. I have talked one of my wife's friends into sewing one together for me. When I get it done it it is not to embarrassing I will post some pictures of it

How's that thermadrape UQ doing, as well? I need to start working on the instructions for that also.
I really liked the thermadrape UQ and it worked well and kept me warm. There are some things that need to be addressed on it that I think would greatly improve it. The main thing other then weight is the footbox for the BB. The end needs to be addressed some to leave room for the side footbox for BB hammocks.

fin
02-15-2009, 16:39
The sock is working out great. I bought some material yesterday to try and attempt to make one myself. Well I should say I am not going to sew it. I have talked one of my wife's friends into sewing one together for me. When I get it done it it is not to embarrassing I will post some pictures of it

Excellent! I hope you are going to also try the changes you thought of, especially since you aren't sewing it yourself. That may be the best way - I will probably farm out my sock design after a little more tweaking as well. I just don't have enough time to do all the sewing I would like. I like designing things, though - playing with different designs is fun.

I really liked the thermadrape UQ and it worked well and kept me warm. There are some things that need to be addressed on it that I think would greatly improve it. The main thing other then weight is the footbox for the BB. The end needs to be addressed some to leave room for the side footbox for BB hammocks.

HC4U thought that switching the inner liner from wool suiting to something like silk would lighten it considerably - he may be working on that as we speak. You could also shorten it to a 3/4 or 1/2 UQ. Still, considering that you were able to do teens in the sock/UQ combo with only a SB, that is impressive to me. The thermadrape UQ was built as either a warm weather (+32*) UQ or booster UQ for extreme cold weather, but I found that it works pretty well down to a ridiculously low temp on its own, at least combo'ed with the sock. Shrinking it or changing to a lighter middle lining would make a huge difference in both weight and packability. I think I can still get my hands on a couple more of those Thermadrapes, as well.

Keep me posted on that. I would love to see what you do.

attroll
02-15-2009, 17:19
Excellent! I hope you are going to also try the changes you thought of, especially since you aren't sewing it yourself. That may be the best way - I will probably farm out my sock design after a little more tweaking as well. I just don't have enough time to do all the sewing I would like. I like designing things, though - playing with different designs is fun.
I will PM you shortly with some idea and see what your opinions are on them.

warbonnetguy
02-15-2009, 18:21
so what's the story on this thermadrape uq? i must have missed it. what's it made of and all that. feel free to just point me to another thread.

attroll
02-15-2009, 19:16
so what's the story on this thermadrape uq? i must have missed it. what's it made of and all that. feel free to just point me to another thread.
I don't think there is a thread on this UQ yet. This is something Finn sent me to test out. It is one of his own designs.

fin
02-15-2009, 21:17

Super secret club. :sneaky::thumbup1:

Only one in existence right now, with a couple lucky people with the supplies to build their own. It was something I had at Mt. Rogers, and a couple people spied it out. There will be plans on this as well.

Shug
02-15-2009, 21:18
Yay!!!!! Lucky Me...........??????