PDA

View Full Version : eagles nest vs hennessy hammock

Monte
02-15-2009, 12:19
I have currently a HH but am looking into buying a eagles nest can you all help me with the pros and cons.
TY, Monte

angrysparrow
02-15-2009, 12:23
Welcome to the forum.

What specifically would you like to know about ENO's? Quite a few of us have used ENO's extensively. Great hammocks.

Just off the top of my head -

Pros -
- simple
- flexible
- durable
- comfortable

Cons -
- no integrated bug net
- slapstraps are made of nylon, and stretch a lot (easily replaced)
- no pad sleeve (can be tricky to use a pad inside the hammock)

warbonnetguy
02-15-2009, 12:47
i always liked the ease of entry/exit/access to pack of the eno over the hh.

their hammock (eno) + their bugnet will be heavier and bulkier than the hh.

MacEntyre
02-15-2009, 21:24
I wish I were single so I could buy one of each kind of hammock!

Monte
02-15-2009, 22:56
I am trying to find out prices for the netting and the tarp, and should i go with same brand. thaks again for everyone.

warbonnetguy
02-16-2009, 01:04
most don't seem to think the eno tarp is any good, it's not sil, so it's heavy for the coverage, and so is their bugnet

Hooch
02-16-2009, 05:38
I am trying to find out prices for the netting and the tarp, and should i go with same brand. thaks again for everyone.
No no no no no.......STOP! Put down that search engine befor you hurt someone with it. :D My advice unto thee is to avoid ENO tarps like the plague. Their coverage is exceptionally poor and they're heavy to boot. They've come out with a sil model, but it's pretty expensive for the amount of coverage you get from it. There are many more excellent tarps out there that have much better coverage. Speer, JRB, MacCat, etc are all excellent options.

lori
02-16-2009, 10:47
seems that most hammockers get something other than the stock tarp - the Hennessy isn't large enough to use for a porch or cold weather camping. The Speer winter tarp, the JRB tarps, the Mac Cat tarps are some of the better looking options, IMO. I have a tarp made by Preacha's wife - not sure they are still in business but it's still holding together despite my tripping over guy lines repeatedly.

Shadowmoss
02-16-2009, 11:29
lori: ooooh, you have a Precha's Wife tarp? I'm jealous. I was about to order one when I got the impression that she wasn't making them anymore.

I agree that a tarp that is around 10x11 or 10x12 is better in a lot of conditions than a smaller one. Beyond that, it is up to each hanger what flavor/features they find useful.

I would opt for a double if you go for the ENO hammock. I have a TrekLight double (which is now my backup hammock), ummm, actually I have two TL doubles now that I think of it... Anyway, the double hammock is easier to get a good lay in. Ummm, I mean that to say, it's easier to lay diagonally and get flatter.

BillyBob58
02-16-2009, 17:13
lori: ooooh, you have a Precha's Wife tarp? I'm jealous. I was about to order one when I got the impression that she wasn't making them anymore.

I agree that a tarp that is around 10x11 or 10x12 is better in a lot of conditions than a smaller one. Beyond that, it is up to each hanger what flavor/features they find useful.

I would opt for a double if you go for the ENO hammock. I have a TrekLight double (which is now my backup hammock), ummm, actually I have two TL doubles now that I think of it... Anyway, the double hammock is easier to get a good lay in. Ummm, I mean that to say, it's easier to lay diagonally and get flatter.

Oh, right! I think we KNOW what you REALLY meant, Shadowmoss! :boggle:;) I remember those pics of you and Cereberus ( was it?) in your TL double at
M.Lewis in TN! (just kidding- how's things in the PNW? Wet, or are you getting lucky weather wise?

Cannibal
02-18-2009, 12:31
It can be done.;)
It ain't easy and it requires that you 'share', but it can be done. I think I've only got 3 or 4 more to go to have at least one model from all the major players and the lion's share of the smaller players. Bridge and Clark are still on the list.

Cannibal the patient.

hacktorious
03-29-2009, 09:18

I might be single by the time I am done buying one of each kind. lol :scared:

Roadtorque
03-29-2009, 20:37
It can be done.;)
It ain't easy and it requires that you 'share', but it can be done. I think I've only got 3 or 4 more to go to have at least one model from all the major players and the lion's share of the smaller players. Bridge and Clark are still on the list.

Cannibal the patient.

rub it in why dont you! I cant believe you left the bridge and clark for one of the last. Those have been on the top of my list. Just got the JRB BMBH, next is Clark or warbonnet.

Anyway the ENO is a great, simple hammock. I really enjoy mine and find time to lay in it almost everyday.

Cannibal
03-29-2009, 20:44
rub it in why dont you! I cant believe you left the bridge and clark for one of the last. Those have been on the top of my list. Just got the JRB BMBH, next is Clark or warbonnet.

Anyway the ENO is a great, simple hammock. I really enjoy mine and find time to lay in it almost everyday.
I couldn't find any Clarks to try for the longest time. I am currently in possession of two of them lent to me by another forum member; the North American and the NX 200. I'm giving them a go now to see if the Vertex is in my future. As for the Bridge, well I'm a big fella and I initially heard they weren't the greatest for wide shouldered folks. Then there was a rumor about them making a larger version, so I held off. Not likely to last much longer unless the Jacks make some announcement about a coming soon XL version. Doubt seriously I'll leave Trail Days without one.

Bearpaw
03-31-2009, 22:25

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT waste your money on an ENO tarp. Mine honestly wouldn't even completely cover my hammock in a mild rain.

Oh wait a minute. YEAH, the ENO tarp is GREAT!!! I'll sell you one CHEAP! :D

Seriously, invest in an oversize tarp so you can actually live under it and sit, read, cook, socialize with others during rain. I use an 8' x 10' rectangular tarp in summer or a Speer Winter Tarp in winter.

I love the easy entry into the top-loading ENO in cool weather where bugs are not an issue. I find it easier to rig my underquilt on it as well.

In summer, I run with a HH and a pad.

Kayakado
07-29-2009, 12:36
I have an HH and an ENO. I've had the ENO for 5 years and slept in it for those years. I used it before the bugnets or tarp were available. I had a piece of netting and a very thin plastic drop cloth that I suspended on a ridgeline over the hammock and positioned it with a couple of clothes pins. Very primitive, but very effective and lightweight. I only bought an HH last year. Positioning the HH is more of a pain than the eno. I do use the ENO slapstraps for both. I am just not a perfectionist, after several uses I could eyeball the compensation needed for the stretch factor. It just didn't seem to be such a major issue to me. I bought the HH Safari model, so it is heavy. My ENO setup is lightweight and more casual. Both styles have their uses, the HH for more strenuous environmental conditions and the ENO setup for life in the tropics and subtropics where heat is my most pressing issue.

Doctari
07-29-2009, 14:13
The ENO hammocks are great. The bug netting & tarp are, as mentioned above, not so much. The netting is heavy & Huge. The tarp is: a weird shape, heavy for the coverage and there aint much coverage.

Hogg Tyed
07-29-2009, 18:24

Here is the secret put all your gear in the same color stuff sacks after a while she will loose track and its really easy to just slide another stuff sack with that new hammock or other gear into the stack. When the stack gets to growing buy a half dozen solid colored totes to organize things a bit. Keep a couple empty on the bottom to stash gear quickly. I managed to fill an entire building this way. She finally give up trying to keep track.

:eek:

Knotty
07-29-2009, 22:59
Are ENOs and Speers similar?

angrysparrow
07-29-2009, 23:04
Are ENOs and Speers similar?

They're similar in that they are symmetric hammocks of the end-gathered variety. But, that's about it.

The ENO has a sewn end channel instead of whipping, an attached stuff sack, and comes in several widths. The Speer is actually a whipped end hammock, a detachable bugnet, and the fabric is quite different.

Knotty
07-30-2009, 11:46
They're similar in that they are symmetric hammocks of the end-gathered variety. But, that's about it.

The ENO has a sewn end channel instead of whipping, an attached stuff sack, and comes in several widths. The Speer is actually a whipped end hammock, a detachable bugnet, and the fabric is quite different.

AS - Good info on how they are built, but what does whipped vs. end channel mean to the user. Does it change the comfort, feel, sag...?

angrysparrow
07-30-2009, 11:51
AS - Good info on how they are built, but what does whipped vs. end channel mean to the user. Does it change the comfort, feel, sag...?

It doesn't affect the sag, and both offer very similar lays and comfort depending on how they are done.

What an end channel hammock allows, though, is the hammock fabric to open up wider more quickly when the channel isn't cinched tight. Essentially you could have a very comfortably wide hammock that was shorter in length than a gathered end. The downside is that the fabric sides would be looser and floppier.

That description is dependent on what whipping method it's being compared to, though.

Frawg
07-30-2009, 12:01
As an inveterate end-channel DIYer, I would second AS's comments and add one upside to the downside -- the loose side makes a nice arm rest. :D

vitamaltz
07-30-2009, 13:12
the loose side makes a nice arm rest. :D

I've found that depending on how much of the weight of my arm I have draped on the side strip of an ENO, I can increase the tension of the side strip to the point where it's taught enough to serve as a headrest as well when I'm on the diagonal.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not feeling eloquent at all today, and technical writing pays my bills. Caffeine time...

JaxHiker
07-31-2009, 14:21
Is my math right that the double is half the weight of the Explorer Ultralight? Of course you'd still have to add a bug net but Warbonnet's netting is only 7.4 oz. If I calculated right the double at 22 oz + the WB net would shave 11.6 oz off the EU at 2 lb 9 oz (41 oz).

That's tempting enough to try it out.

Cannibal
07-31-2009, 14:46
Is my math right that the double is half the weight of the Explorer Ultralight? Of course you'd still have to add a bug net but Warbonnet's netting is only 7.4 oz. If I calculated right the double at 22 oz + the WB net would shave 11.6 oz off the EU at 2 lb 9 oz (41 oz).

That's tempting enough to try it out.
Suspension is probably not included in the weight.

JaxHiker
07-31-2009, 15:08
Good point. So they may be comparable after all. Keep trying to decide if I should try one but I won't have a chance to get out with new gear before my next hike. :( Of course I guess I can always try it in the backyard.