PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Next VA-Hike-n-Hang Trail

XTrekker
04-17-2013, 18:38
Just wanted to get some feedback on those interested in a Hike-n-hang in GWNF, JNF, SNP, areas...If anybody is interested, feel free to chime in and if you have a trail you think would be good then please share.

Also, was thinking we could do this trip for early fall...

almaxey
04-17-2013, 22:33
I'm interested. I don't have an interesting trail to offer up though. I'm hoping to get out there any day now, but I need to score an underquilt before I go anywhere, it's too cold.

ataris121
04-18-2013, 05:23
id be upfor another spring trip a few summers and a few more in the fall. I liked the WR hike and a few short over nighters in SNP are appealing

Cranky Bear
04-18-2013, 08:23
Post em up and see what bite's. I may be in for another, but have to see the dates first before I could even think of committing cause of my work schedule. I shouldn't even be thinking about thinking, come to think of it.....

OldRagFreeze
04-18-2013, 08:32
I've done a fantastic circuit in SNP of White Oak/Cedar Falls (both are great) over to Old Rag, then up to Robertson and back to Skyline Drive once before and would love to repeat it. We camped on Old Rag, below the summit per regulations, the first night and on Robertson the second. Robertson may very well be my favorite camp ever... We had the whole mountain to ourselves.

XTrekker
04-18-2013, 11:02
I shouldn't even be thinking about thinking, come to think of it.....

hahah:lol:

Wanderlost
04-18-2013, 11:07
I'd be up for it (and hopefully actually around this time). I've done the Mount Marshall Circuit in northern SNP. It's great if you're lightweight and don't mind ending a trip going uphill (assuming you start from Skyline). If you start from the bottom, you can literally roll back to your car. :D

krshome
04-18-2013, 12:58
I have two hikes I have been wanting to do for a long time now in GWNF. Both are on the border of VA and WV in the North River Ranger District. First is Wild Oak Trail it would be a three day hike 10.2,5.2 and 10.1 miles per day. The second is a spin off of the Wild Oak Trail called North River Gorge Trail. This is a much shorter hike but with trout fishing for 4.0 miles. This trail might be more of a one nighter but more relaxing. I have WW Kayaked the North River once, fun little creek. I have also fished the top and bottom but I have never hiked the trail. It's beautiful area this time of year. http://www.hikingupward.com/gwnf/NorthRiverGorge/

XTrekker
04-18-2013, 13:19
I have two hikes I have been wanting to do for a long time now in GWNF. Both are on the border of VA and WV in the North River Ranger District. First is Wild Oak Trail it would be a three day hike 10.2,5.2 and 10.1 miles per day. The second is a spin off of the Wild Oak Trail called North River Gorge Trail. This is a much shorter hike but with trout fishing for 4.0 miles. This trail might be more of a one nighter but more relaxing. I have WW Kayaked the North River once, fun little creek. I have also fished the top and bottom but I have never hiked the trail. It's beautiful area this time of year.

The wild oak trail sounds like alot of fun. Would like to possibly do that sometime. But would have to wait till fall before I got a chance to go on that one.
The North river gorge trail, I could do much sooner because its only for one night.

krshome
04-18-2013, 13:27
The wild oak trail sounds like alot of fun. Would like to possibly do that sometime. But would have to wait till fall before I got a chance to go on that one.
The North river gorge trail, I could do much sooner because its only for one night.

Saturday- Sunday trip? Lets do it! My float trip is a flop. I may just cancel it and use that weekend for The North River Gorge Trail hike

XTrekker
04-18-2013, 16:32
Saturday- Sunday trip? Lets do it! My float trip is a flop. I may just cancel it and use that weekend for The North River Gorge Trail hike

Gonna be going to the MAHHA in a week and a half but could go a few weekends after that.

XTrekker
04-23-2013, 20:44
bump for interest. Really want to get something scheduled for a few weeks from now. If all else fails me and destikahr will still have a good time with just the two of us.

ferret
04-23-2013, 21:30
I still have to hit White Rocks, but I also have Laurel Fork, Little Schloss, and Ramsey's Draft on my to do list for VA. Also trying to figure out a hike here or WV for rhodo season.

ataris121
04-24-2013, 08:11
X im game for this weekend or the first two weekends in may

XTrekker
04-25-2013, 13:44
Sounds good.. Ill try and figure out a few options and see whos game for going..

OldRagFreeze
04-25-2013, 13:55
I'm keeping an eye on this as well!

R00K
04-25-2013, 14:04
Been dying to do some hiking and hanging in SNP. If y'all end up headed that way shoot ol' Rook a PM!

krshome
04-25-2013, 17:29
I would be up for a SNP trip as well. Maybe along a stream so I can do a little Tenkara fishin

ataris121
04-25-2013, 19:05
smells like a plan is starting to cook up

visionarylion
04-26-2013, 20:34
I'm game for something

L.D. Cakes
04-26-2013, 20:48

what float trip?

XTrekker
04-26-2013, 21:10
AWWWWW SNAP!! Idea brewing. .Gonna go Camp out in Cape Hatteras, NC this summer. Bust out few TurtleDog Stands and relax under the stars on the beach.
This will be epic for a car camping trip.

ShortTripHome
04-26-2013, 22:32
Hey everybody--memorial day weekend (friday-monday) my brother and i will be in Dolly Sods. hope to see some of you out there..?

ataris121
04-29-2013, 07:06
Anyone want to hang memorial day? im thinking SNP

almaxey
04-29-2013, 08:17
I might be up for that. I just need to secure spousal permission.

krshome
04-29-2013, 08:43
Anyone want to hang memorial day? im thinking SNP

If it's Memorial Day weekend i'm out, got plans. BBQ's!

Unmighty
04-29-2013, 09:00
I am game for something memorial day weekend maybe include the family car camping something.

rottenpossum
04-29-2013, 18:03
I'm very interested. I can't do May (see my post about this weekend, anyone welcome to join). I have a trip planned already for every weekend so far.

visionarylion
04-29-2013, 18:23
I'm very interested. I can't do May (see my post about this weekend, anyone welcome to join). I have a trip planned already for every weekend so far.

+1 on the May booked but I was thinking. What about the last weekend in May, the first in June it would be 31-2?:thumbup1:

XTrekker
04-29-2013, 18:26
Well I am definitely doing a beach hang in bout 3-4 weeks. But other than that I want to focus on Hike-n-Hangs as much as possible until the Fall MAHHA(if they are having one). Really like backpacking. Think I am going to try and check out that trail krshome suggested and WV also told me about some good trails in West Va that I wouldnt mind checking out. But for next 3 weeks, I gotta lay low and save some money up for my next Goose Down purchase. 32oz of 850fill...

UncleClark
04-29-2013, 18:28
I recently did a day hike in GWNF west of Woodstock. I parked off Forest Service 92 at Stony Creek and hiked the following counterclockwise loop.

From parking area at Stony Creek, hike up Stony Creek Trail about 3.3 miles to the PATC cabin at Sugar Knob. Hang a left on Tuscarora Trail to the WV line. Hang a left on Mill Mtn trail and follow the ridgeline back towards the parking area. Then descend down a steep trail called Big Schloss Cutoff.

THat entire loop is long but the the first section, Stony Creek Trail, follows the creek for maybe 2 miles and there are bunch of nice streamside campsites there that are all fine for hammocks.

Here's a link to my day hike - check out the first part up to Sugar Knob. I took some still pics and also a little video of the campsites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2BPzi--DAQ

hope the link works :)

rottenpossum
04-29-2013, 18:37
+1 on the May booked but I was thinking. What about the last weekend in May, the first in June it would be 31-2?:thumbup1:

That weekend works great for me.

Tinmar
04-30-2013, 09:09
I would be up for a SNP trip as well. Maybe along a stream so I can do a little Tenkara fishin

I'm in for a little Tenkara fishing. Only used mine once on the Rose.

Silverpalm2x
04-30-2013, 15:44
Might be able to make something happen May 31- JUne 2 weekend

where would you start/stop?

someone should pick a weekend, make google doc, and work out some details of what and where... it would make it easier to plan

Someone familiar with the park and the trails. (not me)

visionarylion
04-30-2013, 21:32
Might be able to make something happen May 31- JUne 2 weekend

where would you start/stop?

someone should pick a weekend, make google doc, and work out some details of what and where... it would make it easier to plan

Someone familiar with the park and the trails. (not me)

+ 1 on. this I would but I don't know of any places. Krshome
You know alot of places would you want to pick a place. If this weekend works for you.

krshome
05-01-2013, 07:07
+ 1 on. this I would but I don't know of any places. Krshome
You know alot of places would you want to pick a place. If this weekend works for you.

I can help but I can not go that weekend. I'm leaving for work now so Ill touch base later.

visionarylion
05-01-2013, 17:00
well im up for something that weekend but I don't know any places. so if some one wants to set something up im game

XTrekker
05-01-2013, 17:33
June 7-9th will be the next available weekend for me to do a group HnH. I plan to do some camping with the kids for next month. Then the following dates im available for, June 21st-23rd, July 5th-7th, July 19th-21st.

I plan to do the Three Ridges Hike this summer or fall and probably the Hike krshome mentioned. There is another trail in West VA that WV mentioned to me but forget the name of it...

XTrekker
05-01-2013, 18:51
Gonna do this hike soon.
Dolly Sods North Hike (http://www.hikingupward.com/MNF/DollySodsNorth/)

WV(Dave) and few others recommended it to me.

ferret
05-01-2013, 19:11
I'm in for any hike in the sods, love that place.

almaxey
05-01-2013, 19:39
XTrekker, where are you going to do a beach hang? I have family down that way - I'd like to drop the kids off and take the wife to hang out.

Also, I live in Warrenton which is a pretty decent basecamp for some SNP/AT hiking. I want to do some 2-3 day trips on the AT this year so maybe we can put our heads together on that.

I think we need to find a way to put together a shared google calendar or maybe a sticky on this thread where someone updates weekends/trips for the mid atlantic area.

perrito
05-01-2013, 19:46
I've always wanted to check out Dolly Sods....
http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/public/style_emoticons/default/hiker.gif

rottenpossum
05-01-2013, 19:59
Can we do Sods the weekend that xTrekker mentioned? I couldn't easily get up there in time on the 7th, but I can be there early on the 8th.

XTrekker
05-01-2013, 20:38
XTrekker, where are you going to do a beach hang? I have family down that way - I'd like to drop the kids off and take the wife to hang out.

Also, I live in Warrenton which is a pretty decent basecamp for some SNP/AT hiking. I want to do some 2-3 day trips on the AT this year so maybe we can put our heads together on that.

I think we need to find a way to put together a shared google calendar or maybe a sticky on this thread where someone updates weekends/trips for the mid atlantic area.

Going to do the (Nags Head, NC) beach hang on May 18-19th with my wife, kids, and Destikahr. Anybody else is welcome. I havent settled on which campground, of the 8+ available in that area, to use. Non of them really allow reservations so ya just kinda have to show up and hope for the best..lol There is one that does allow reservations and I will give them a call tomorrow. But it adds almost another hour to the drive.
You will most likely need a TurtleDog Stand to do this hang but Luckily I have access to a bamboo grove and can make you one for pretty cheap.

WV
05-03-2013, 08:11
Gonna do this hike soon.
Dolly Sods North Hike (http://www.hikingupward.com/MNF/DollySodsNorth/)

WV(Dave) and few others recommended it to me.

Take a close look at that Hiking Upwards loop. It includes the entire Dobbins Grade Trail. :scared: The upper part isn't too bad, but ....

Alternatives using Raven Ridge offer some improvement. :)

XTrekker
05-08-2013, 17:08
One more week till my beach hang...woot cant wait...:woot::woot:

Cranky Bear
05-08-2013, 17:17
Anyone come up with some concrete dates and places yet? My ability to go or not will most likely be a last minute (or second) thing due too work, but may be easier to plan with enough lead time???

ShortTripHome
05-08-2013, 18:24
Anyone come up with some concrete dates and places yet?

looks like nothing as of yet, but as i mentioned before--my brother and i will be in dolly sods proper memorial day weekend, or in roaring plains if the crowds are an issue.

seems that a few other people here want to check out the sods as well, so i think its worth discussing further...

I also suggest a Ramsey's Draft trip, as well as St. Mary's Wilderness, Big Schloss area, and somewhere off the beaten path in SNP like Jeremy's run or big run portal loop

visionarylion
05-08-2013, 18:35
Someone make some definitive plans

XTrekker
05-08-2013, 18:41
Someone make some definitive plans

Give me few days Ill pick a place and post 3 optional dates and we will all try to pick one that allows the majority to go...

krshome
05-08-2013, 18:46
Hey guys I have the weekend of June 14-16 available for something, so If anyone wants to do something that weekend I'm open to it. Would like to hit the SNP. Maybe a little fishing.

XTrekker
05-08-2013, 21:30
On a side note..Almost done with my UL Turtledog stand..Gona call it The TurtleLite Stand or maybe the TurtleTrekker Stand...lol:lol:

It is under 10lbs unlike the 20-30lb version that most others use..

XTrekker
05-08-2013, 21:32
Hey guys I have the weekend of June 14-16 available for something, so If anyone wants to do something that weekend I'm open to it. Would like to hit the SNP. Maybe a little fishing.

Ill have to fashion a quick fishing rod out of bamboo before this trip so I can at least pretend to fish with ya...doubt ill catch anything because its been about 15 years since I have fished in any type of water...:D

Downhill Trucker
05-08-2013, 21:59
I've done a fantastic circuit in SNP of White Oak/Cedar Falls (both are great) over to Old Rag, then up to Robertson and back to Skyline Drive once before and would love to repeat it. We camped on Old Rag, below the summit per regulations, the first night and on Robertson the second. Robertson may very well be my favorite camp ever... We had the whole mountain to ourselves.

I second this trail wholeheartedly. Did you camp on the summit of Robertson?

ShortTripHome
05-09-2013, 11:43
that is a great campsite on top of Robertson...

Downhill Trucker
05-09-2013, 14:35
I've climbed it several times. Don't remember seeing a campsite tho...

Anyone going out Memorial Day or the week before? I'm out of work from 5/20-27!

eagleJ
05-18-2013, 06:12
Heading up your way next week to hike AT section from Daleville to Rockfish Gap.

Silverpalm2x
05-21-2013, 15:08
Heading up your way next week to hike AT section from Daleville to Rockfish Gap.

I am jealous EagleJ. Say hi to my part of the valley I grew up not to far from Rockfish Gap. I bought my first Mountain bike at Rockfish Gap outfitters. Cannondale Superv700!

ataris121
05-21-2013, 17:25
hey down hill i waiting to hear from work but i might have some time over memorial day

Downhill Trucker
05-22-2013, 22:27
Unfortunately my schedule changed... I am going out the weekend of June 1. Not positive where but thinking the AT, possibly the Michaux SF area in PA. Lots of Rhodos there and they should be blooming.