PDA

View Full Version : IN > Panther Creek – Hoosier NF > 5/4-5/5

BreckDown
04-19-2013, 15:56
I’m planning to head down to HNF the first weekend of May, and don’t currently have anyone to go with so I figured I’d open up an invite to anyone around here that wanted to join me. I’ve been speaking to Mule as I was looking for a spot to go, and I believe he may already be joining me.

Panther Creek is at the end of the Tecumseh Trail, just inside of HNF. Mule said there is parking within 3 miles of the site off of Crooked Creek Road. My plans are to get down to the area early find the site, and then head out on a day hike up the Tecumseh Trail to check it out.

Again, anyone is welcome to join. I’m just doing this trip is just to kick off the dust from the winter and to get away from my office for a weekend.

Mule
04-19-2013, 16:16
I am emailing you a crude map. Just drive South on Crooked Creek Lake road past the lake about .6 to 1.0 miles. There is a parking lot there. Head up the trail, a long climb at first and follow the white blazes over Miller Ridge and down into Panther branch. You can walk the creek from there right up Panther Branch. It's gorgeous in there.

BreckDown
04-19-2013, 16:32
And yes, for those looking at the dates listed in the title and thinking, "does he actually mean 5/4-5/5".....you would be correct. I have a PM into the mods to correct it.

Mule
04-19-2013, 17:07
As I told Breck in an email, you could start your hike at Crooked Creek Lake parking lot and hike up the Elevator, we call it, to Miller Ridge and then on over into panther creek. It's a little farther but you get to see more or the country that way.

Mule
04-19-2013, 17:08
Put me down for a Yes on your list. I would rather Breck be the leader of the hike just in case I get tied up or something, but I plan on a good time.

mountainhanger
04-19-2013, 17:47
would love to but will be working, heading out in the morning for a few days down in kentucky, enjoy!

UncaBuddha
04-20-2013, 02:30
DoggoNit! I have to work that weekend. Keep me on your list!

bonsaihiker
04-20-2013, 08:40
I'd love to join up, but thats my weekend to work. Have fun!

Jerry
04-24-2013, 07:24
Hi mule can you send me the map to this thank you

Mule
04-24-2013, 07:29
Hi mule can you send me the map to this thank you
Sure Jerry, I hope you can go, man!

Mule
04-24-2013, 07:32
Here is the map, note that the actual trail, The Tecumseh, may go East and not take the bend toward the south as I have marked it here. In other words, it may go into Panther Branch farther North than I show it, just follow the white blazes.

BreckDown
04-24-2013, 21:39
I received some good maps in today of the area. I'll see if I can get a good scan of the Panther Creek area in the morning.

BreckDown
04-25-2013, 08:34
This map may help a little. Make sure you check the roads against Google Maps, because some of the roads look like main roads, and are actually fire roads.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23180654/Panther%20Creek.JPG

Mule
04-27-2013, 23:54
Is anyone going next weekend?

BreckDown
04-28-2013, 06:40
I'm still planning on it. I just need to hammer out my exact departure time.

Mule
04-28-2013, 07:56
OK, let me know. I am still planning on it too. I have been working on re-engineering a Marine ILBE backpack. I am anxious to see how it does on the trail.

BreckDown
04-28-2013, 13:15
I'm going to say that I will be at the trail head around 9am on Saturday morning. If that is earlier than you want to meet don't worry. I'll just take off northbound on the trail to see what the area has to offer, and be back at the trail head whenever you want to meet so we can head to the camp site.

Mule
04-28-2013, 13:50
Breck, You don't have to worry about meeting me at the trailhead, I will meet you in the valley of Panther Creek. When you get to the sign that states it's the end of the Tecumseh trail, just go downstream, or West to wherever you want to camp. I will likely leave here about 9 Am, or I may even go down on Friday night and will already be there when you get there. Here is a couple of shots of Panther creek about a mile West of the sign.

BreckDown
04-28-2013, 14:58
Sounds good Mule. How are the bugs down your way right now? Should I bring the bug net for my hammock or not?

HomeMadeHiker
04-29-2013, 12:50
I'm got I messed up my back and have to prep for my sons dedication the following week. I wish I could make it. You guys have fun.

Mule
04-29-2013, 13:05
Ok Zach. Get well soon.

Mule
05-02-2013, 18:52
Bumpitibump anyone going with us?

Shotgunred
05-02-2013, 19:41
Wish I could join ya, work got me down as usual, I will look forward to your pics Mule.

Mule
05-02-2013, 19:42
Wish I could join ya, work got me down as usual, I will look forward to your pics Mule.
OK SGRed. Hope to see you soon on the trail.

Mule
05-02-2013, 23:38
OK, but if anyone does want to have a good hike into Panther Creek, I will be watching this thread. I may go down tomorrow.

evilleotter
05-03-2013, 09:32
Look like weather is going to be rotten the whole weekend:( We had a beautiful week and now it craps out.
Hope you guys stay dry and safe and have a great time.
Best wishes.

Mule
05-03-2013, 22:07
Jerry the Hiker, Breck and I are meeting at MacDonalds on 46 right outside of Nashville at 9am. Everyone's welcome, There will be plenty of water LOL

Mule
05-03-2013, 22:09
Look like weather is going to be rotten the whole weekend:( We had a beautiful week and now it craps out.
Best wishes.
It's not too late to Pack

BreckDown
05-05-2013, 17:47
Best wishes.

We had a great, wet time. It rained, but broken enough for us to setup, get a day hike in, and eat dinner around the camp fire; besides that it rained the entire time. Not every trip is going it be sunny and nice, and weekend like this teach you a lot about your camping skills, your gear, and the best way to use them when the weather turns on you.

The other benefit of hiking and camping in the rain is that you get the entire area to yourself because no one else wants to be out there, so its really peaceful....plus Mule picked a great spot that I don't think many people would have gone looking for.

Mule
05-05-2013, 17:50
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mule47/page1/
Here are some photos. We did have a good time. We set around a roaring fire and eventually wrapped up in tarps to have some food and it was all a good time. Breck is a great hiking partner. We will be doing this again.

evilleotter
05-05-2013, 22:20
Glad to hear you guys had a great time and made the most out of a weekend in the woods. If not for my wife out of town, I might have built up the courage to join your soggy adventure. Anyways, I will keep watching the trip reports for upcoming trips to the many hidden gems of our great state. Thanks for the report guys.

blessedoneness
05-28-2013, 12:18
I saw this thread late. I live in Bloomington, IN, just moved here a year ago. I would love to hang and learn from my fellow hammock folks. Look forward to the next trips!

Mule
05-28-2013, 14:16
I saw this thread late. I live in Bloomington, IN, just moved here a year ago. I would love to hang and learn from my fellow hammock folks. Look forward to the next trips!
Hey, we would love to have you along. I am thinking about getting a list made up of all those who go pretty often around here and putting it on the forum so when anyone plans a hike it would be easy to share. What do you all think about a list of email addresses that would be accessible somehow for all to use? Any ideas about how to go about this without actually broadcasting our email addresses all over the world? One idea would be for you all to PM the to me and I could put out alerts to those on the list to take a look at the thread describing the trip.