PDA

View Full Version : MI-TBD-June 7-9 2013 Looking for trip advice, first ever hike and hang

kruski
04-21-2013, 15:01
Two friends and I are trying to plan a short backpacking and hammock camping trip this June in lower Michigan. Since I have learned all my hammock knowledge from HF I figured members of the trip planning section would help me learn how to plan a trip as well.

We all live in SE Michigan and would be taking a half day on a Friday to drive to our destination and want to depart home Sunday afternoon. Can I get a few recommendations of places to research for 2 night hammock hang trip, with some hiking between.

We are all experienced with rustic (no running water, poop in outhouse or hole) car camping (with tons of food and drinks), but none of us have ever carried our camp in.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations or advice

michigandave
04-21-2013, 16:28
Hello neighbor! North Oakland county here. For a first time 2 nighter, I'd recommend Hoist Lakes near Glennie or the NCT-MRT near Mesick. I've introduced a number of friends and their daughters to backpacking and those were the first two places we went to start. Since then, we've expanded our horizons to the Manitous, Porcupine Mountains, Grand Island and Pictured Rocks. Since your so close, go do an overnight to Pinckney rec area and hike in 7 or 12 miles to Blind Lake (depending on your route) and hike out the 5 miles or so the next day? It's a great trip and the perfect place to get used to the pack.

The biggest lesson you'll learn is what to pack and what not to pack. Being overloaded is no fun and you learn from experience. Good luck and enjoy your first adventure.

kruski
04-21-2013, 17:06
Thanks Dave, I may have to try the Pinckney Rec single nighter in May in prep for the weekender in June

Redoleary
04-22-2013, 06:04
Nordhouse dunes wilderness is a great place to use for getting your feet wet. There's plenty of trees and its an easy bail if things go south on you. Nordhiuse is between Ludington and Manistee.

Stone
04-22-2013, 12:38
+1 to Hoist Lakes and Nordhouse. Watch the ticks at Hoist though. Might also want to look into Reid Lake Foot Travel Area, same neck of the woods as Hoist.
http://www.michigantrails.us/alcona-county-michigan/reid-lake-foot-travel-area.html

cjayflo
04-22-2013, 15:32
Best of luck on the trip!

kruski
04-22-2013, 20:55
thanks again for the advice guys, my friends and i car camp at nordhouse every year.

I will see if any one else chimes in over the rest of the week, and try to select a location this weekend and start my planning.

kruski
05-04-2013, 21:58
My cousin strongly recommends me to make my first trip to oak openings in ohio, any opinions?

bmwrider
05-04-2013, 23:31
My cousin strongly recommends me to make my first trip to oak openings in ohio, any opinions?
I looked at Oak Openings ohio and the web site does not mention any backpacking trails, they may not have any walk in camp sites, so you may have to car camp and do day hikes if you go there.

Redoleary
05-05-2013, 06:34
Looks like the MI Spring Hang is going to be that weekend @ Nordhouse. If you guys come up to that you'll get more backpacking advice than you can stand!

youbet
05-06-2013, 08:36
Def, go to the official HF spring hang!

OneClick
05-06-2013, 10:13
Watch the ticks at Hoist though.

NO KIDDING!!! I went there around the same time last year. After driving 5 HOURS and hiking in only 10 minutes I had to bail. I've never seen anything like it. Forget the bug spray and clothing. My arms (sleeves) were covered in blood from smashing the biting flies too. That's a pre-MAY only trip for me.

sr1355
05-06-2013, 16:31
Looks like the MI Spring Hang is going to be that weekend @ Nordhouse. If you guys come up to that you'll get more backpacking advice than you can stand!

Some good, some bad... :lol::lol::lol: Seriously, a good time to see lots of hammocks in action.

michigandave
05-06-2013, 17:38
I'm so bummed I've got to miss it. Was looking forward to getting out to Nordhouse again and enjoying a group hang. On the other hand, I'll be thinking of the group as I'm hanging at PIRO on my 5 day NCT trip along Lake Superior :). What's the summer trip going to be?

Wolverine
05-07-2013, 11:58
Just got back from hammock camping along the au sable river near Glennie, bugs were swarming terrible.

michigandave
05-07-2013, 12:14
Just got back from hammock camping along the au sable river near Glennie, bugs were swarming terrible.

It's that time of the year again. Heading down to Pinckney friday night...Guess I need to toss in the bug net :). At least the snows gone.

Wolverine
05-07-2013, 20:49
It's that time of the year again. Heading down to Pinckney friday night...Guess I need to toss in the bug net :). At least the snows gone.

I know, bug nets were just an afterthought. Glad I had them, otherwise it would have been a nightmare.

Bush
05-07-2013, 21:09
Was out last weekend in Pinckney, bugs not bad at all yet but it was pretty windy which helped I'm sure. It would be a good choice for ya...Bush

kruski
05-12-2013, 11:35
you guys have me worried about killer swarms of bugs now