PDA

View Full Version : Nano 7 vs BIAS

HammockHunter
04-24-2013, 07:53
Okay so I am looking for a new smaller hammock. Without the bug net built in like my Grand Trunk SBP because I'm looking for one to take on a thru hike in the future and I want to be able to remove the bug net. For those of you who have one of these, or both which do you think is the best value. Which would last longer and which one is more comfortable easier to mod. Any info would be great before I decide!!

Brute1100
04-24-2013, 08:14
I would go with the bias hammock... The WWM is the most comfortable hammock I own, and the most comfortable I HAVE laid it... And at less than 1 lb for hammock and their nano net and amsteel UCRs... It doesn't seem to get much lighter than that... I have a set of dynaglide UCRs that I just haven't put on yet, but that should shave a few oz as well...

To me the homemade craftsman, and knowing that I'm supporting two guys and their families... Not just some big corporate tycoon... Makes me feel a little better about spending the money... But to each his own...

breyman
04-24-2013, 08:29
+1 on the BIAS. Well made, very inexpensive, very comfortable and you're supporting a cottage vendor!

Two Tents
04-24-2013, 09:02
I have both but the Bias wins by unanimous decision. Nano is good hammock but for a thru the choice between those two is an easy one. Just my opinion from owning both. :)TT

Bubba
04-24-2013, 10:17
I have both but the Bias wins by unanimous decision. Nano is good hammock but for a thru the choice between those two is an easy one. Just my opinion from owning both. :)TT

I also have both and agree. The BIAS is larger and more comfortable for me.

HammockHunter
04-24-2013, 11:27
Alright thanks guys!

Caveman
04-24-2013, 12:40
Another vote for BIAS.

Cali
04-24-2013, 14:43
I also have both hammocks and another vote for the BIAS. :thumbup:

CrankyOldGuy
04-24-2013, 15:24
Oh well, I guess I get to be the Cranky Old Guy again. I have both and the Nano is more comfortable and lighter. What do these whippersnappers know, anyway? ;)

Rolloff
04-24-2013, 15:46
Not even a contest

Apples and Oranges. Cottage vs Big Box.

BIAS wins in 1

If the Nano fails, they send you another, maybe, mostly. They have 100's of thousands made exactly the same. One just like the next.

If a BIAS fails, they repair, make upgrades if necessary to your hammock and the entire line, to provide a better product for everyone.

In the end, it really is YOUR choice.....albeit a pretty easy one to make :blush:

HammockHunter
04-25-2013, 07:36
I hear ya Rolloff

heyyou
04-25-2013, 23:41
I've owned both and prefer the BIAS for head and foot comfort (pillow and feet both stay in the hammock). If I were about 5' 0", the Nano might be fine.

motorapido
04-26-2013, 13:58
I own both. I am an ultralight backpacker, kayak camper and bicycle tourist. Minimal weight and minimal bulk are very important to me. I have been a happy Nano 7 owner for a few years. I ditched the carabiners and use whoopies, tree straps and a trail stick for a toggle. Nano 7 with ridgeline and whoopies weighs 8.21 ounces.

I recently bought a Weight Weenie Micro double layer. I do not own an underquilt, so I have always either slept on a closed cell foam pad, or pulled my sleeping bag around my hammock like a pea pod (zipper in the footbox of sleeping bag allows this). Both methods work great for me, and my 15 degree down bag combined with wearing some clothing to bed has kept me comfortable to zero degrees f.

Anyhow, I had been curious about a double layer, which would make pad sleeping easier. The bag pulled around the hammock constricts the foot end a good bit, making for a less comfortable lay. Sleeping on a pad with the bag on top of the hammock is more comfortable for me. So going double layer facilitates easier use of the pad.

After several uses, I must say that I absolutely love the weight weenie. The material is significantly tougher and thicker than the nano. I have a hunch on a through hike that it would last much longer. It is much longer and wider than the nano, allows for a very diagonal, flat lay and super comfortable sleeping. The weight penalty is not too bad.

With the double layer, the weight weenie micro comnplete with whoopies and ridge line weighs 15 ounces, compared to the 8.21 ounces of the nano with suspension. Sure, aan extra seven ounces is a lot for a very weight conscious person, but it is worth it to me. I will use it except for hot summer nights when I would not need a pad under me and then I will use the nano. The Weight Weenie double layer is about double the bulk of the nano, and that is an issue, too, since storage space in my kayak is minimal and same on my bike touring rig. But again, worth it, in my personal opinion..

I have tried to show objective comparisons and also my subjective opinion. please post anyfollowup questions.

BackPackHiker
04-29-2013, 15:03
My vote would be for BIAS, the NANO 7 is good but the if you are looking to customize you can basically get whatever you want done if you contact BIAS.

TheIrishmanHangeth
05-06-2013, 02:33
Alright after reading through a few threads I can't seem to find anything at all to answer my question so here goes... Both the nano 7 and wwm use 1.1 ripstop nylon so how is it that the nano 7 is rated at 300 lbs but the wwm is only rated to 200 lbs??? I really like how big and comfy the wwm seems to be from all the reviews but I am over 200 lbs and if I go with a dbl or a heavier fabric hammock then I lose the weight advantage of the wwm vs the nano 7. Is BIAS just being overly cautious on their weight rating for the safety of its customers or is grand trunk being overly optimistic? For what it's worth I'm 5'5" and around 230.