PDA

View Full Version : First tick of the year

SilvrSurfr
04-25-2013, 15:34
Felt something tickling my back in my apartment today. Went to scratch it and pulled out a tick. Geez, I haven't been near the woods. All I've done is take my dog walking around the apartment complex. I'm sure the dog picked it up and gave it to me.

Then I read about this new tick disease some woman in NJ got, borrelia miyamotoi bacterial infection.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/25/n-j-woman-becomes-first-in-u-s-diagnosed-with-new-deer-tick-disease/

Man, I hate ticks. Heading out to the Pine Barrens this weekend and I'm gonna gargle with permethrin and bathe in it.

canoebie
04-25-2013, 15:40
There was something similar in Missouri last year. Ticks are truly scary. We used to have them really bad. Counted 27 crawling up the outside of the garage once. We got chickens, they are free range, not a tick to be found since.

Kinda hard to do in a apartment complex though. :lol: Love my permethrin when I am away in the woods, love my hens at home.

SilvrSurfr
04-25-2013, 15:40
So new it doesn't even have a name.

http://scitechdaily.com/tick-borne-infection-borrelia-miyamotoi-discovered-in-the-united-states/

I hate ticks.

Redpath
04-25-2013, 15:43
There was something similar in Missouri last year. Ticks are truly scary. We used to have them really bad. Counted 27 crawling up the outside of the garage once. We got chickens, they are free range, not a tick to be found since.

Kinda hard to do in a apartment complex though. :lol: Love my permethrin when I am away in the woods, love my hens at home.

I can't let ours run all over the yard they do too much damage to the landscaping...a few always get loose though

SilvrSurfr
04-25-2013, 15:53
I think we're on to something here - hiking chickens! Just send them up the trail a bit to clear all ticks before I come through.

I imagine it might be hard to get a permit for them in some state and national forests.

canoebie
04-25-2013, 15:54
Little choker collars to keep them in place would be absolutely necessary. We would have to rig packs for them too. :lol:

Disco
04-25-2013, 16:08
Ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes can all be round up and shipped into space and I'd be a happy man.

SilvrSurfr
04-25-2013, 16:10
Little choker collars to keep them in place would be absolutely necessary. We would have to rig packs for them too. :lol:

Of course they have to carry their own hammocks, tarps, rations and water. A hiking chicken is a true multipurpose item too: alarm clock/tick repellent, as well as emergency rations if you get hungry.

Curmudgeon
04-25-2013, 16:22
I've already pulled three ticks off me this year - all in one day, no less! Thankfully, none of them had latched on. I wasn't near any woods, although I did walk through a bit of undergrowth.

One was going up the inside of my pants, one on my arm, and one trying to burrow it's way up through my hair in the back of my head. For some reason, they love it up there; I get at least one a year there.

beekeeper
04-25-2013, 17:47
Fox got all of the chickens last year . So I got a dog (to get the fox). Now the dog has already had two ticks and me one.:eek:
scratch that...I just found another.

Red Wing
04-25-2013, 19:14
You know, it's been quite a while since I've seen a tick in the woods or a tick on me in the woods. However, since I've moved to the townhouse we're in now, multiple years I've found ticks inside. Usually see them crawling down the wall. Dog is treated and never find them on the couch or carpet.. usually on the ceiling or coming down from it. No idear but it is definitely an odd occurrence.

grannypat
04-25-2013, 19:27
OK, now my skin feels all crawly and I have the urge to buy a chicken on a choke chain. :lol:

Wise Old Owl
04-25-2013, 19:36
Felt something tickling my back in my apartment today. Went to scratch it and pulled out a tick. Geez, I haven't been near the woods. All I've done is take my dog walking around the apartment complex. I'm sure the dog picked it up and gave it to me.

Then I read about this new tick disease some woman in NJ got, borrelia miyamotoi bacterial infection.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/25/n-j-woman-becomes-first-in-u-s-diagnosed-with-new-deer-tick-disease/

Man, I hate ticks. Heading out to the Pine Barrens this weekend and I'm gonna gargle with permethrin and bathe in it.

Well as a PCO you are clearly off base here - your dog didn't give it to you, and the woods wasn't involved this time...

Here is what you need to know. Ticks and Mosquitoes share a legacy. The Ticks need mice to grow up from a larval stage. Mosquitoes need standing brackish water to breed. So as blood sucking insects go... SBU

1. wear white clothing
2. Use a liquid deet product
3. sawyer permethrin spray treated clothing on the outside surface recommended.

So I am thinking Ultrathon or Sawyer controlled release ... When a few folks post I will add some answers.

Red Wing
04-25-2013, 20:07
WOO, any other way for them to get in your house aside from mice? We've got a pack of 5 feral cats in our complex and 2 in the house. I've never seen any rodent except spiders and ticks. Never had a tick just crawling through my house until this point. Could it be because of a particular type of plant or tree type in my area or anything? They're always full grown when I see them.

gunner76
04-25-2013, 20:16
Come on down and visit us. We have ticks all year down here.

Junebugdawn
04-25-2013, 20:19
I think I picked 4 off of myself at the Smoked Butt Hang, but only the first and second day. This made me wonder...did the rain we received make them hide out or were they not attracted to my scent after two days?? Hmmmm.

SilvrSurfr
04-25-2013, 20:27
Well as a PCO you are clearly off base here - your dog didn't give it to you, and the woods wasn't involved this time...

Here is what you need to know. Ticks and Mosquitoes share a legacy. The Ticks need mice to grow up from a larval stage. Mosquitoes need standing brackish water to breed. So as blood sucking insects go... SBU

1. wear white clothing

So I am thinking Ultrathon or Sawyer controlled release ... When a few folks post I will add some answers.

Not following you at all. My dog goes in the brush when he walks, I don't. He gets ticks and brings them home because I pull them off him. I don't need a PCO to tell me that.

I've never heard of ticks infesting a house, but I found a lot of people with stories on the Internet. However, I don't think my apartment is infested.

I don't have mice in my house, and I am definitely not wearing white clothing or liquid deet in my house, nor is my family.

You know, it's been quite a while since I've seen a tick in the woods or a tick on me in the woods. However, since I've moved to the townhouse we're in now, multiple years I've found ticks inside. Usually see them crawling down the wall. Dog is treated and never find them on the couch or carpet.. usually on the ceiling or coming down from it. No idear but it is definitely an odd occurrence.

You need to come to the NJ Pine Barrens so you can see the tick in his native environment!

silentorpheus
04-25-2013, 23:30

1. wear white clothing

What is a PCO?

What does SBU mean?

I'm confused.

fishbait
04-26-2013, 15:48
I've pulled seven off the Aussie in the last month and two off the Mighty Mutt. I had one crawling on my neck a couple of nights ago. I live in a Town Home Development, lots of bushes and dogs love bushes. I just finished soaking all my hiking clothes, quilts and hammock in Permethrin in preparation of my hike Sunday.

silentorpheus
04-26-2013, 15:49
I've pulled seven off the Aussie in the last month and two off the Mighty Mutt. I had one crawling on my neck a couple of nights ago. I live in a Town Home Development, lots of bushes and dogs love bushes. I just finished soaking all my hiking clothes, quilts and hammock in Permethrin in preparation of my hike Sunday.

Not to hijack too much, but where you getting your Permethrin? Only thing I found was the Sawyer spray, and that's 'spensive. Certainly not enough it to 'soak' anything.

SilvrSurfr
04-26-2013, 16:04
Not to hijack too much, but where you getting your Permethrin? Only thing I found was the Sawyer spray, and that's 'spensive. Certainly not enough it to 'soak' anything.

I get my Permethrin 10% on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Inc-Permethrin-10%25-32oz/dp/B00061MSS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367010158&sr=8-1&keywords=permethrin+10

You can get it cheaper but I just pulled up the first link I found. That bottle should last you about ten years.

silentorpheus
04-26-2013, 16:06
I get my Permethrin 10% on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Inc-Permethrin-10%25-32oz/dp/B00061MSS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367010158&sr=8-1&keywords=permethrin+10

You can get it cheaper but I just pulled up the first link I found. That bottle should last you about ten years.

Nice. And here I was thinking I either needed to get the expensive Sawyer stuff, or order from a horse tackle shop.

hppyfngy
04-26-2013, 16:07
I get the same stuff from Amazon SS. I also dip my dogs with it.

Ticks out early here too. I've had two stuck on me in the past two weeks. Deer ticks. The bites itch like the dickens...

halfastronomical
04-26-2013, 16:28
I have had 10-15 ticks on me already this year, but I work in the woods. Only 3 were attached. It is getting warm, so I am gonna have to go back on my 3 cloves of raw garlic per day regimen. I have tried all kinds of things, but garlic works better than anything I have tried. Also, if ticks are really bad, I put gold bond mentholated powder around my waistline. It is messy though, but ticks hate it.

fishbait
04-26-2013, 16:51
That's what I get. I buy it on Amazon

DivaB
04-26-2013, 16:57
Dang it! Too soon and not a good sign for the upcoming season.

SilvrSurfr
04-26-2013, 18:00
Dang it! Too soon and not a good sign for the upcoming season.

Not a good sign at all. I was gonna leave my bugnet at home this weekend but I'm afraid the mosquitoes and ticks might be corresponding and coordinating to start the season early.

JohnSawyer
04-26-2013, 18:17
Went out with some guys last weekend... 1 reported three ticks... I am glad I permethrined! I got the mil-issue stuff from my local surplus store. I did the math and 1/4th the stuff refilled my sawyer's spray bottle...

Wise Old Owl
05-19-2013, 18:22
Folks PCO means Pest Control officer. I am an inspector licensed for pest control and inspect beds in section 8 in three states....

I spent a couple of days learning about some serious issues with ticks and mosquito's in the last couple of months... as well as mice..

Here is what you need to know there are many things that will repel tics deep woods off is the best.

To answer another question feral cats are well interesting but will not get you to zero. Some are too well fed and others are picky.

Dog ticks inside is a serious situation and needs a professional inspection to figure out if you need a solution.

Yes dog tick and others can infest a house.

Sawyer is the best way to treat clothing.

FOLLOW DIRECTIONS

Doctari
05-19-2013, 20:31
I got one at the Hoosier hang this year, was surprised, thought it was too cool (Thursday) for them. Oh well, tossed it in the fire after a quick soaking of alcohol hand sanitizer so it burned better. :D

Junebugdawn
05-19-2013, 21:20
My husband began antibiotics today for Lyme Disease. He will have blood drawn in the morning to be tested. We should get the results by Wednesday. He spent some time in the woods on Monday and Tuesday. He had sprayed himself with DEET and did not find any ticks attached nor picked off any crawling ticks. Tuesday night, he became ill with severe vomiting and ended up in the ER. This was probably not related to the possible Lyme Disease, however his white cell count was up that night. In the days after, he just felt wiped out and on Friday, he began experiencing chills and rashes in various areas. Saturday morning the rashes were more prominent, but not the typical bullseye rash associated with Lyme Disease. The on-call doc called in a round of steroids and said to be at the office today. He took one look at the rashes on his ankles and said that they were the result of a tick bite. With the other symptoms and other rashes, he started him on the Lyme Disease treatment. The doc said he has already treated several others in our area for the same. I hope that catching it early will lead to a full recovery.

Basie
05-19-2013, 23:31
Wow. Hope he recovers quickly! Not for the first time, I'm really glad we don't have to worry about ticks in this part of the world. Sandflies and mozzies, on the other hand...

FLRider
05-20-2013, 10:17
Best wishes for your husband, Junebugdawn. Catching it early and treating is probably the best outcome you could hope for. I'm scared to death that one of these days I'm going to have to go to the ER for a tick bite.

~~~~~

Went for a 5k run out at the Longleaf Flatwoods Reserve (http://www.sjrwmd.com/recreationguide/longleafflatwoods/) as part of my brick workout on Friday. Came back home and did a routine check after my shower...I found five of 'em on me after less than four miles of trail. I guess this year's gonna be bad...

fishbait
05-20-2013, 11:06
it's going to be a bad year for tick's. I pulled four more off the dog yesterday. My son pulled two from his legs.

canoebie
05-20-2013, 14:05
A friend of mine that lives about 10 minutes away was just diagnosed with Lyme. Bite on his leg, bright red rash. Looked nasty and he felt likewise.

I completely soaked our hammocks and a set of clothing for each of us with Permethrin. Scary stuff indeed. Used the stuff on Amazon, diluted to .5%, worked great, no odor, easy peasy to apply. Wore rubber gloves and used a pressure sprayer. Dried in the hot sun real quickly.

sr1355
05-20-2013, 19:15
Ticks Ticks Ticks... Not a tick for 20 plus years then close to a dozen this year so far. None attached luckily just crawling around on my legs and in the ham-mock...:eek:

Best of luck Junebugdawn for your husbands speedy recovery...

Junebugdawn
05-20-2013, 22:13
Thanks, everyone. We may not know the test results for a couple of weeks. I'm just hoping the meds work and he feels better soon. :-)

Likeapuma
05-20-2013, 22:47
Sitting in my living room with our new pup at my feet, felt something on my kneecap... Sure enough there one was!

Luckily, it wasn't a deer tick.. Dealt with lyme disease in 7th grade & would never want the symptoms again. Had a vet appointment for next week, but now I don't want to wait until then... Tomorrow looks good lol!

Commence the "heebie jeebies"!

hammockBlazn
05-20-2013, 23:01
Okay great timing. Had a few ticks on me from my last outing. Was able to remove all except one. It's head broke off in my skin. When should I start to worry and go see a doctor? Will it work it's way out?

Junebugdawn
05-21-2013, 06:29
I think you should see a doctor and have it removed. It may get infected otherwise. Keep a close eye on the area and if any sysmptoms appear, seek treatment immediately.

grannypat
05-21-2013, 11:22
Junebugdawn, hope catching the disease early leads to a fast and easy recovery.

Junebugdawn
05-21-2013, 14:14
Thanks, GrannyPat. I hope so, too. Here's a pic of his ankle rash. This is the rash that the doc knew right away was from a tick bite. The other rashes he has in other places looks different from this one. He has this rash on both ankles.

halfastronomical
05-21-2013, 20:53
I have hundreds of ticks on me every year...I am lucky so far. I have found that eating raw garlic works better than anything. Permethrin works sometimes and gold bond menthol works a little. I am gonna have lyme disease one day. It is just a matter of time. I have came to grips with it already.

wake.joe
05-22-2013, 23:49
I'm not looking forward to my first tick experience. :(

Unitic
05-24-2013, 18:22
My husband began antibiotics today for Lyme Disease. He will have blood drawn in the morning to be tested. We should get the results by Wednesday. He spent some time in the woods on Monday and Tuesday. He had sprayed himself with DEET and did not find any ticks attached nor picked off any crawling ticks. Tuesday night, he became ill with severe vomiting and ended up in the ER. This was probably not related to the possible Lyme Disease, however his white cell count was up that night. In the days after, he just felt wiped out and on Friday, he began experiencing chills and rashes in various areas. Saturday morning the rashes were more prominent, but not the typical bullseye rash associated with Lyme Disease. The on-call doc called in a round of steroids and said to be at the office today. He took one look at the rashes on his ankles and said that they were the result of a tick bite. With the other symptoms and other rashes, he started him on the Lyme Disease treatment. The doc said he has already treated several others in our area for the same. I hope that catching it early will lead to a full recovery.

Hey Junebugdawn, so glad your hubby is getting help quickly. After two years battling a case of disseminated Lyme that was misdiagnosed for more than 5 months, I can attest to the importance of catching this nasty spirochete bacteria early and getting appropriate treatment. Please observe him carefully since he was given steroids...they suppress the immune system and can allow the infection to spread. The Lyme borrelia bacteria must be killed when it divides and reproduces, and it is a slow growing bacteria that reproduces on approximately a four week cycle. That's why a four week course of the most commonly prescribed antibiotic doxycycline is an absolute minimum. Like any other bacterial infection, under treatment can lead to an even more persistent infection. I'd recommend visiting Lymedisease.org and the Lyme Disease Association for accurate information on this very tricky infection. Best wishes,
Unitic

Junebugdawn
05-25-2013, 00:50
Thanks for the info and advice. He is on doxycycline now and will be following up with the doc once we get the blood test results back. From what I've read, the early diagnosis and treatment yields the best results of being cured. I'm sorry you have had to endure this for so long. I'm very grateful that if he indeed has it, that it was caught early.

Junebugdawn
05-26-2013, 00:09
I just pulled the tinniest tick off my ribs. It was so small that its body appeared transluscent. I put it in a plastic baggie. Now guess who's on edge?? Yikes! Nasty blood suckers!! My mom's guineas aren't earning their keep.

hppyfngy
05-26-2013, 06:47
Don't fret Junebug. Odds are very small that that tick will affect you in any way besides an itch. Just keep an eye on the spot. :)

GT
05-26-2013, 07:03
Check yourselves for ticks every day. Especially those little deer ticks. They're the ones that spread lyme disease. I take good garlic pills and apply baby oil around ankles, wrist and waist. Ticks hate baby oil.
I've had a couple crawl on me this spring but none dug in.
Iffin you do get bit by one, make sure you keep it in the freezer until your sure it didn't pass on anything to you.

Junebugdawn
06-05-2013, 17:08
Found out today that hubby's Lyme Disease test was negative. :D Guess he had an allergic reaction to a tick bite or something.

silentorpheus
06-05-2013, 19:12
Found out today that hubby's Lyme Disease test was negative. :D Guess he had an allergic reaction to a tick bite or something.

Good to hear! :thumbup:

grannypat
06-05-2013, 19:23

Well, that is good!

Chug
06-05-2013, 19:23
Good news.. But good Reminder to tick check often and Spray gear.

I hate ticks!!!. and skeeters..

Junebugdawn
06-05-2013, 19:41
Thanks! It's a relief for sure. One of my girls pulled one off herself last night. I'm definitely treating all my gear before my trip in two weeks.

nartoff
06-05-2013, 23:49
I can't pass by a thread about ticks without adding my vital two cents:

Ticks are evil, evil creatures and I hate them.

That is all.

jerzybears
06-06-2013, 09:30
Ahhh...my first tick! Boy does that take me back......:scared::scared::scared: Worse was where it was!:eek::eek:

Deadphans
06-06-2013, 20:35
I had my first one this year today. I am actually surprised it took this long, I work in the field!

DREL
06-20-2013, 18:17
1. Junebug glad to hear that your other half is ok.

2. i had to read this thread! with my first outing this year, being next week! my skin is crawling after reading this thread...UUUGh!!! carry mini steaks with you at all time's. i agree eat your garlic.

silentorpheus
06-20-2013, 19:02
1. Junebug glad to hear that your other half is ok.

2. i had to read this thread! with my first outing this year, being next week! my skin is crawling after reading this thread...UUUGh!!! carry mini steaks with you at all time's. i agree eat your garlic.

Then again - SilvrSurfr and I have gone on two trips into the Pine Barrens so far this spring/summer. And I haven't seen a single tick. Treated my clothing with permethrin - so maybe that's helped.

Not that I'm complaining ... :laugh:

Unitic
06-20-2013, 21:26

I'm not trying to be a fear monger here, but a word of caution about the Lyme blood tests. The ELISA and the Western Blot are not very sensitive tests and may return as much as 40-50% false negatives. They both only test for the presence of the specific antibodies your immune system produces in response to the presence of the Lyme bacteria. But Lyme is a master at suppressing and tricking the immune system. In addition, both of these tests are most effective (actually the ELISA is virtually worthless most of the time) if given between 2 weeks and 6 weeks after the bite. If given too early, the body may not have yet produced enough antibodies for a positive, and if given too late the infection may have spread and severely suppressed the immune response. These tests are so poor that Virginia's Gov. just signed into law the 2013 Lyme Test Disclosure Act that mandates that MD's who order these tests provide a written statement to each patient about the nature of these tests and that a negative response does not rule out Lyme disease. The CDC states that Lyme must be a clinical diagnosis and these tests should only be used as a secondary diagnostic tool. The substandard nature of these tests, and their improper application as a primary diagnostic tool, are just some of the many reasons that Lyme is by far the fastest growing infectious disease in the US. So watch your hubby's symptoms, finish your Doxy prescription, and see a Lyme specialist (called a Lyme Literate MD) if he does not improve.

cape1
06-21-2013, 23:49
We had a Lyme treatment center here in Cape May but it's not here now The doctors were the very best. If it was within the first week of the bite a blood and urine DNA test was done...that is when the bacteria is still in the blood stream before it begins attacking the organs. Now you are lucky if a family doc gives you 3 weeks of meds. The treatment center is sorely missed. There is a lab in Vermont that you can send a tick to and for 50.00 have it tested so you know if the one that bit you carries Lyme. I never never never use tweezers matches or whatever..Me my family and friends all use tick scoops from various companies but the favorite is from Ticked Off. The CDC says to use tweezers...well if you didnt get the bacteria you very well can accidentally squeeze it in with tweezers...

cpverne
06-22-2013, 09:44
I've pulled two of with a Tick Key and found it much easier than any other way I've tried before. Now I have one on my keychain so I will have it handy everywhere I go.

hppyfngy
06-22-2013, 13:30
I've pulled two of with a Tick Key and found it much easier than any other way I've tried before. Now I have one on my keychain so I will have it handy everywhere I go.

I agree and the Tick Key doesn't squeeze the tick at all.

Junebugdawn
06-24-2013, 05:51
Wow! I had no idea that the test was not very effective at diagnosing the disease. He only took two weeks of Doxycycline. I really wish they had given him 4 weeks worth. He hasn't had anymore symptoms, but I will keep an eye out. Thanks for the info.

SilvrSurfr
06-24-2013, 14:44
Then again - SilvrSurfr and I have gone on two trips into the Pine Barrens so far this spring/summer. And I haven't seen a single tick. Treated my clothing with permethrin - so maybe that's helped.

Not that I'm complaining ... :laugh:

I guess it's the permethrin that makes the difference. We sprayed down pretty well the last two trips! Last year I pulled quite a few ticks off me, but I wasn't bathing in permethrin like this year.

BillyBob58
06-24-2013, 15:48
I guess it's the permethrin that makes the difference. We sprayed down pretty well the last two trips! Last year I pulled quite a few ticks off me, but I wasn't bathing in permethrin like this year.

I'm still so far ( fingers crossed!) 100% tick ( have not seen one) or mossy bite free( a few have flown close to me a few times) X several years, when using my combo of Perm treated clothing plus Picaridin on exposed skin. And that is off trail hiking even occasionally on the edges swamps in MS. And you know dang well we have plenty of both everywhere in MS.

It has probably been nearly 6 weeks, so probably time to treat again. For the most part, I store the clothes closed up in a trash bag after treating or using/washing. Though not always.

But there has been at least one report of a tick on the head of a person wearing a Perm soaked hat! I'm still trying to figure that one out. But I wonder if they also put Deet or Picaridin on the skin of the face/neck and hair not covered by the hat? ( I think that is in a dif thread). Because if not, would it be possible for a tick to fall on your neck from a tree or shoulder (he didn't say if the shirt was treated), then crawl up your neck/head under your hair, with the hair(if you have any) supplying a barrier between tick and perm treated hat? ( I need to post this question over in that thread I guess)