PDA

View Full Version : SHT MN 5-10 to 5-12

ControlledRot
04-25-2013, 23:45
I am a Newb. This is my first thread posting ever. Forgive any mistakes... My normal hang partner can't make it the only weekend I'm available in May(sorry Mom.) Was planning on trying out my first Solo, but thought I'd step out of my comfort zone and throw out an invite incase there's anyone else out there who's lonely and felt like abandoning their mother on that most sacred of weekends. Was planning on hitting up the Cascade River loop because it's familiar, but never camped it. Serial killers unwelcome. :eek:

Bic
04-26-2013, 07:17
There is another hang this weekend, but I might ditch that one for the SHT! Will be watching this thread to see what pans out.

Algonz
04-26-2013, 11:51
I was going to go south from temperance river that weekend but I could switch things up.

ControlledRot
04-26-2013, 12:49
Only picked Cascade because I was planning solo and its familiar. I'm completely open to change if anyone else is interested.

Bic
04-26-2013, 17:38
Only picked Cascade because I was planning solo and its familiar. I'm completely open to change if anyone else is interested.

I'd rather do a longer stretch and possibly a different area. We could plan on parking a car at the end to shuttle people around too. I love the SHT and will go anywhere, so just let me know :)

Algonz
04-26-2013, 18:36
I'd rather do a longer stretch and possibly a different area. We could plan on parking a car at the end to shuttle people around too. I love the SHT and will go anywhere, so just let me know :)

I would be up for this I need to stretch my legs after a long winter.

Algonz
04-26-2013, 18:47
Caribou river to temperance is about 18 miles with 9 campsites I would defiantly be up for this or further if you'd like.

ControlledRot
04-26-2013, 20:53
Caribou river to temperance is about 18 miles with 9 campsites I would defiantly be up for this or further if you'd like.

I have not done that stretch before. I would be game for that.

Bic
04-26-2013, 21:09
I'm game for further as long as snow is melted :) otherwise this would be fun too. Usually when I go up there I like to do around 15 miles a day. But I don't like to be that guy that hijacks other people's trips :) ill just be happy to be in the woods.

ControlledRot
04-26-2013, 21:59
I'm down with putting on a few miles and stretching my legs as long as the snow is gone. I've only done a couple shorter stretches of the SHT, so I'm open to suggestions.

Algonz
05-01-2013, 14:49
I will be going on Friday the 10th with a friend. The only thing set in stone is that we will be starting at temperance river. He is a ground dweller so it would be nice to have a hanger with around for good conversation haha.

Bic
05-01-2013, 22:19
I NEED to get out in the woods, so I'm very likely a yes to come. I'm open to any plans....could take a look at the guide book, but just haven't had time.

ControlledRot
05-01-2013, 22:44
I'm in for sure too. PM me and we can figure out details.

Staffy6
05-02-2013, 09:07
I can try to make it as well. I am am also new to hammock camping and would love to learn from others. I also NEED to stretch my legs after the winter if all the snow is gone. Haven't spent much time around the Caribou River so new trail is always fun. I'll follow this post more to see if I should plan on taking a day or half day off on that Friday.

beep
05-02-2013, 09:35
FWIW, there is no overnight parking permitted at the Caribou wayside parking lot. There is limited parking (3-4 spots as I recall) at Sugar Loaf Rd, about 7 trail miles north of the Caribou parking lot.

Staffy6
05-02-2013, 10:02
....Oops meant to say Cascade River, not Caribou. :blush:

Bic
05-02-2013, 10:22
....Oops meant to say Cascade River, not Caribou. :blush:

I think the new plan is starting at Temperance River.... that's pretty much all the plan is now :lol:

Bic
05-02-2013, 10:25
I will be going on Friday the 10th with a friend. The only thing set in stone is that we will be starting at temperance river. He is a ground dweller so it would be nice to have a hanger with around for good conversation haha.

What time do you think you'll get up there? I can probably ditch work leave early.

Algonz
05-02-2013, 11:15
What time do you think you'll get up there? I can probably ditch work leave early.

I'm taking the day off so the latest I will be leaving is nine so that should put me up there around one. I talked to a shuttle service but its kinda pricy so if you are going to be up there at a similar time maybe we can figure something out.

Staffy6
05-02-2013, 11:21
I think the new plan is starting at Temperance River.... that's pretty much all the plan is now :lol:

I'm fine with that... PM me the details and I will check to see how much time I would need to get off work. I'm coming from Minneapolis so I am open to the option of a car pool.

If going south from TR I could take a half day on the Friday and hike to the Cross River that night, then off to the Caribou River then next day and out towards Crosby-Manitou on Sunday. Just a quick suggestion not sure how accommodating certain campsites are towards hammocks.

Fronkey
05-02-2013, 11:35
If I may add a suggestion.

Start off by parking at the cross river state wayside and hike on up from there. Pick a site on the cross river as those 4 are some of the best on the trail. Wake up on day two and hike to the Caribou river multi-group which is 12-15 mile hike depending on where you camped the first night. On your last day, wake up and hike north to the sugar loaf parking lot where you could have shuttled and left a car the first day.

I actually drove by the sugar loaf campsite Friday night and the creek there was raging. The snow "should" be gone by next weekend and it would be such an awesome sloopy time to be on the trail.

Fronkey

Rabid Deer
05-02-2013, 13:38
I'm possibly down for this trip as well. My buddy and I just figured out we can make it up there that weekend and now we just need to plan out some details. We had planned to hike the Bean/Bear Lakes loop but we are always open to suggestions. I really like Fronkey's suggestions if anyone else is down for that.
Right now the SHT has about 12-20 inches of snow, according to the SHTA website (http://www.shta.org/Conditions.php). This map from the DNR (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snow_depth/index.html#anchor438) is also a helpful indicator for snow depths.
No matter what the plan ends up being, we're going to be hiking somewhere on the trail. It'll be good to get out there and hike!!

Rabid Deer
05-02-2013, 13:41
I'm taking the day off so the latest I will be leaving is nine so that should put me up there around one. I talked to a shuttle service but its kinda pricy so if you are going to be up there at a similar time maybe we can figure something out.

The shuttle (http://www.superiorshuttle.com/Schedules/index.php) doesn't start until the weekend after this trip, so it won't be an option as far as I know.

I'd be willing to shuttle with someone who could get up to the trail in the afternoon on Friday and leave early Sunday morning.

beep
05-02-2013, 13:43
If I may add a suggestion.

Start off by parking at the cross river state wayside and hike on up from there. Pick a site on the cross river as those 4 are some of the best on the trail. Wake up on day two and hike to the Caribou river multi-group which is 12-15 mile hike depending on where you camped the first night. On your last day, wake up and hike north to the sugar loaf parking lot where you could have shuttled and left a car the first day.

I actually drove by the sugar loaf campsite Friday night and the creek there was raging. The snow "should" be gone by next weekend and it would be such an awesome sloopy time to be on the trail.

Fronkey
I like Fronkey's idea!

Bic
05-02-2013, 15:48

I can likely do the same and be there the same time.... so we should be able to shuttle just fine.

I'm fine with that... PM me the details and I will check to see how much time I would need to get off work. I'm coming from Minneapolis so I am open to the option of a car pool.

If going south from TR I could take a half day on the Friday and hike to the Cross River that night, then off to the Caribou River then next day and out towards Crosby-Manitou on Sunday. Just a quick suggestion not sure how accommodating certain campsites are towards hammocks.

I would be able to car pool, but like I said above, I'll likely be leaving early.

Staffy6
05-02-2013, 16:11
I would be able to car pool, but like I said above, I'll likely be leaving early.

Sorry misread your post thought you were ditching work early. I should be able to take the full day off if that is what the trip plan calls for.

Algonz
05-02-2013, 16:16
[QUOTE=Rabid Deer;1001208]The shuttle (http://www.superiorshuttle.com/Schedules/index.php) doesn't start until the weekend after this trip, so it won't be an option as far as I know.

North coast call n ride independently owned by a nice gal named Mary.

Algonz
05-02-2013, 16:18
[QUOTE=hikingdad;1001297]I can likely do the same and be there the same time.... so we should be able to shuttle just fine.

All right then I guess now its just a waiting game.

ControlledRot
05-02-2013, 17:30
I have Friday off and wouldn't mind carpooling. I could only fit one other person in my car, but would be willing to contribute gas money I'd soneone else wanted to drive.

Pag
05-02-2013, 19:22
I can help shuttle if needed, but I won't be camping. If you need help with logistics just lmk.

Bic
05-02-2013, 20:55
I can fit two others in the car with me for whoever would like to car pool with me. I live in Wisconsin, but I work at Century College in White Bear Lake, and we can just plan to meet there and people could leave their car in the parking lot for the weekend. I'm also fine if people want to park at my house and leave the car in the driveway for the weekend. I live in New Richmond, WI which is about 45 mins from the cities.

Leave Century College or my place at 9:00am? 9:30am? just let me know and I'm happy to drive.

Then is the plan for everyone to meet at the cross river state wayside and then we can shuttle around cars from there?

ControlledRot
05-03-2013, 09:29
I can fit two others in the car with me for whoever would like to car pool with me. I live in Wisconsin, but I work at Century College in White Bear Lake, and we can just plan to meet there and people could leave their car in the parking lot for the weekend. I'm also fine if people want to park at my house and leave the car in the driveway for the weekend. I live in New Richmond, WI which is about 45 mins from the cities.

Leave Century College or my place at 9:00am? 9:30am? just let me know and I'm happy to drive.

Then is the plan for everyone to meet at the cross river state wayside and then we can shuttle around cars from there?

Meeting you at century about 9:00 would work great for me. Meeting at Cross River seams to be the most practical.

Rabid Deer
05-03-2013, 12:36
I double booked and will no longer be able to attend. Have a fun time everyone! I'll be hiking Tettegouche to Beaver Bay the weekend of 5/24-5/26 instead.

ControlledRot
05-04-2013, 08:27
Getting real jazzed to head out it the woods...the weather is looking great so far...:thumbup1:

Staffy6
05-06-2013, 10:12
I was unable to get off time from work. Hope you all have a great time this weekend.

pizza
05-06-2013, 18:08
Have fun and enjoy the snow guys. Current trail report below.

May 6, 2013: Even with some current warming temperatures, there is still at least 6"-18" of snow on most of the trail. We have reports of people slogging through knee deep snow and sinking even with snowshoes. We don't have any reports of any hikeable sections yet. Here's a link to current Minnesota snow depths:http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snow_depth/index.html From this page, you can click on a map that models snow depth daily.

Bic
05-06-2013, 19:44

May 6, 2013: Even with some current warming temperatures, there is still at least 6"-18" of snow on most of the trail. We have reports of people slogging through knee deep snow and sinking even with snowshoes. We don't have any reports of any hikeable sections yet. Here's a link to current Minnesota snow depths:http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snow_depth/index.html From this page, you can click on a map that models snow depth daily.

we still have a work week of warm temps! :eek:

ControlledRot
05-06-2013, 21:11

Thanks for the report. Hopefully enough melts for a more enjoyable hike. I packed my snow shoes away for the winter...Everyone think warm thoughts!:)

ttilberg
05-06-2013, 22:44
Not sure how relevant this is or will be: I was out for a hang with a friend on SHT after work today in West Duluth near the Magney Natural area. There were some patches that still had snow/slush but in general it was just muddy. With ~50s and a little rain all week, perhaps you'll get some progress up north. Then again, maybe we'll get another foot and a half of snow.

I'm a little jealous of you guys this weekend! I'm still too much a noob for overnighting in this weather, and too fat and out of shape to think that a 20 mile hike in one day sounds fun :)

ControlledRot
05-06-2013, 23:27
Not sure how relevant this is or will be: I was out for a hang with a friend on SHT after work today in West Duluth near the Magney Natural area. There were some patches that still had snow/slush but in general it was just muddy. With ~50s and a little rain all week, perhaps you'll get some progress up north. Then again, maybe we'll get another foot and a half of snow.

I'm a little jealous of you guys this weekend! I'm still too much a noob for overnighting in this weather, and too fat and out of shape to think that a 20 mile hike in one day sounds fun :)

Thanks for the update my friend. It gives me hope. You just have to get out there and enjoy it. My first night was in a 40* terrential rain with a foam pad and mylar emergency blanket. It was freaking awesome! If you're ever looking for something a little more "entry level" and want some company, let me know, I like getting out there whenever I can no matter what the scenario.

ttilberg
05-07-2013, 08:03
May 6, 2013: Even with some current warming temperatures, there is still at least 6"-18" of snow on most of the trail.

With ~50s and a little rain all week, perhaps you'll get some progress up north.

Yesterday I had forgotten that in Duluth we completely missed one of the 1'-2'+ blizzards they had Two Harbors and further north a few weeks ago.

If you look at that snow index Pizza quoted, you can see that a wall of snow begins just north of Duluth.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snow_depth/index.html

This map gets updated on Thursdays at 2 PM, so check back then :)

Awesome link, Pizza.

Bic
05-07-2013, 21:05
It really truly kills me to say this, but I have to cancel on this trip :( My son's first ever T-Ball game is on Friday. The league has been pushing back the start of the season for a month now because of the weather and we just found out that Friday will be his first game. I really hate to cancel, but I even more want to be there for my kid on his first game of t-ball ever. Thanks for understanding everyone! Hope you all have a blast out there and you better post photos! my next night in the woods is long overdue, but I've got a month off in June and am planning a long and relaxed thru hike of the SHT...

ttilberg
05-08-2013, 08:55
Just wondering if you have an official plan set up for this weekend. It sounds like at this point it's just ControlledRot and Algonz?

Originally HikingDad wanted to do the extended hike deal, but he's no longer available to join. That said, it looked like Algonz was also prepared for that and more, so maybe the trip is still set on the mega hike :)

I'm available Friday night to Saturday morning; however I need to be back in Duluth by 10 am to leave for Brainerd.

If there's an opportunity to meet up Friday evening for only a few miles in/out, and then you guys could continue whatever else on Saturday, I think that would be pretty awesome. I've not met with any other hammockers, and only just got my first hammock right before snowfall so I see it as an excellent learning opportunity. Also, if it's only a few miles tops, it would still be easy for me to bail if I'm in over my head related to gear and experience.

That said, I do not wish to impose and be the chump who makes the trip suck for the trail veterans. It was just that the original proposition looked perfect (though, being a half hour closer to Duluth sounds nice too lol) :)

What are your thoughts?

ControlledRot
05-08-2013, 11:32
Right now I'm waiting for confirmation from algonz. I'll keep you posted

ControlledRot
05-09-2013, 15:04
Looks like it's back to a solo hang for me...

NickoftheWoods
05-09-2013, 15:42
I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Heading home for mothers day now.

ControlledRot
05-09-2013, 20:51
Ending up heading to Lake Maria for a hang due to trail conditions and lack of interest. Look forward to hanging with you all and anyone else interested in the future.

Bic
05-10-2013, 08:00
Ending up heading to Lake Maria for a hang due to trail conditions and lack of interest. Look forward to hanging with you all and anyone else interested in the future.

was up there last weekend. It's a beautiful time there with on bugs and the trails aren't muddy.

ControlledRot
05-11-2013, 12:01
Yesterday was absolutely perfect...untill 11:45 pm when apocalyptic wind blew in and had a personal vendetta against my tarp:eek:...still beat sleeping indoors.:thumbup:

ControlledRot
05-12-2013, 13:03
http://youtu.be/qBnD8v-p9k0

This is my first video ever so...:eek:

pizza
05-12-2013, 17:32
Nice they allow you to gather downed wood now. I always thought it was a crock they wouldn't allow that before.

ControlledRot
05-13-2013, 11:08
Yeah, I assumed no too, hence the lugging of wood. Then I read this "leave no trace" deal they have stapled to the tables and it mentions gathering downed wood. Thought this might be a generic letter, so I asked the ranger and he said it was fine as long as it was downed wood.