PDA

View Full Version : Best tarp color

ky chris
02-18-2009, 21:25
What do you all consider the best color for a tarp? Do you like a lighter color to let light in or a darker color to block it out for sleeping in?

I'm leaning towards a MambaJamba but can't decide on black or blue. Black seems too dark but the blue would really stand out in the woods when I'd rather blend in. I wish it came in brown. I've read that you can get Maccats in brown.

headchange4u
02-18-2009, 21:37
The JRB comes in a earth brown and forest green. I have seen the Speer Winter Tarp in a olive drab but I don't think it's something that they offer all the time. I prefer earth tones for my tarps, but I do like the blue of the Superfly.

angrysparrow
02-18-2009, 21:41
Tarp color is of course a matter of personal preference. I like dark colors better, for whatever reason.

Pic of 3 tarps - Right foreground BlackCat, Left foreground Black MacCat, Background Regular gray MacCat:

MacEntyre
02-18-2009, 21:47
With the new digital camo patterns, my preference has become a throw-back to the previous century. :unsure:

Take-a-knee
02-18-2009, 22:04
The JRB comes in a earth brown and forest green. I have seen the Speer Winter Tarp in a olive drab but I don't think it's something that they offer all the time. I prefer earth tones for my tarps, but I do like the blue of the Superfly.

Speer is doing the Winter Tarp in Kifaru/Hennessy brown, it is way cool.

Preacha Man
02-18-2009, 22:10
I prefer black, very simple, lets you sleep, and with it being sil, still allows plenty of light for the morning.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/7/8/dsc00080_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4047&c=member&imageuser=478)

Dwight

Mustardman
02-18-2009, 22:15
I have the mambajamba in blue and like the color pretty much. I also use kelty triptease for my guylines, and REI glow in the dark reflective cord to attach tarp to tree, so I'm not exactly a stealthy hanger.

Cannibal
02-19-2009, 01:02
Agreed, the blue isn't stealthy. Although, it blends in a little better than I would have thought; don't know why.:confused: I take one of my grey tarps when I'm being sneaky.

Shug
02-19-2009, 10:34
Black for me ..... still plenty of light when made of sil..

NCPatrick
02-19-2009, 10:43
I prefer the "earth" colors of silnylon, green or brown -- although I still like the black "BlackCat" tarp too, for sleeping in.

tiptoe
02-19-2009, 11:06
Another vote for colors that blend in: brown, olive green, even camo. That's the "tiptoe" way.

Ramblinrev
02-19-2009, 12:04
hehehe.. I've never had the luxury of picking a color. My HH are all what comes from Hennessey and my DIY are whatever waterproof stuff I find in Wally World. Mostly gray and green.

Perkolady
02-19-2009, 13:07
I would prefer either black or brown.

I just got done making a tarp out of that olive brown sil Ed offered a while back. I must say, it sure blends in wonderfully! :)

Tried grey, but it didn't seem stealthy enough for my tastes. It was better than the first tarp I made though, which was aqua ! :eek::rolleyes:

chiefams
02-19-2009, 13:12
I like my green Etowah... cheap and blends in well

Peter_pan
02-19-2009, 20:44
FWIW, last year the JRB cat tail brown tarps outsold the olive tarps 5 to 4.... This year it is pretty much dead even on color preference.

Pan