PDA

View Full Version : Cutting ripstop

gstepclassical
03-15-2007, 08:42
I was just poking around on the internet and found some info on cutting/sewing ripstop. http://www.xs4all.nl/~pdj/starting.htm This fellow uses an old Weller soldering gun. He just pounded the tip into a disc shape, filed it to a knife edge and away he went. He actually used wire, seemed to be about 12 gauge. I have an old soldering gun and tried it and when you develop the proper speed the fabric looks like it has been cut with a razor and it is sealed. You need to have a gun and not a pencil type iron and it must have a double heat range trigger. Use it on the first range which is about 20% I am pretty sure I will be putting away my lighter for good!!! :D

headchange4u
03-15-2007, 09:00
I have been wanting to try this hot cutting method. I do some eletronics work so I have several soldering irons lying around including a Hakko 936 (http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_936.html) variable temp soldering station that has a temp range from 400 - 900 *F. I also have a collection of tips. I normally cut my fabric spread out on my carpeted floor. I'm afraid that a soldering iron would leave some lasting impressions in my carpet and my wife may have something to say about that. I'll stick to using my lighter until I have a safe cutting surface to attempt this.

gstepclassical
03-15-2007, 09:08
I have been wanting to try this hot cutting method. I do some eletronics work so I have several soldering irons lying around including a Hakko 936 (http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_936.html) variable temp soldering station that has a temp range from 400 - 900 *F. I also have a collection of tips. I normally cut my fabric spread out on my carpeted floor. I'm afraid that a soldering iron would leave some lasting impressions in my carpet and my wife may have something to say about that. I'll stick to using my lighter until I have a safe cutting surface to attempt this.

My wife has a big foldout cardboard cutting surface with inch/centimeter markings and several other markings that I have no idea what they are about. This thing is about 3' x 6' when it is unfolded and it is probably not expensive. I'll bet an appliance box would work as well. The point is, at the low heat range, it cuts the fabric and has no impact on the cardboard. Sweet!!!

lvleph
03-15-2007, 09:39
I was thinking about doing this with my POS soldering gun, but Silnylon doesn't really need to be melted, from my experience.

funbun
03-15-2007, 09:53
Hot cutting would save a lot of time. I've got an radio shack soldering iron. That article mentioned tips. Does that mean his gun has changable tips?

gstepclassical
03-15-2007, 10:06
Hot cutting would save a lot of time. I've got an radio shack soldering iron. That article mentioned tips. Does that mean his gun has changable tips?

Yes. The tips in a Weller style gun attach with two nuts. What he doesn't show is the wire is put through the nuts and a short right angle bend is made at each end. This bend is then placed into holes at the attach point on the gun. The nuts are then screwd down into the attach points making a mechanical/electrical connection to the tip. You can get replacement tips at Ace hardware and most home centers. Don't know about Radio Shack as they only seem to be interested in selling batteries these days. Went in to buy a part for an amateur radio project I was doing and had to explain what a capacitor was. Sheeze!!! http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/weller/index.cfm?model_list=1&att_id=WEL001&att1=Soldering%20and%20Heat%20Guns&att2=Soldering%20Guns

headchange4u
03-15-2007, 10:16
Quick lesson on solder irons:

Solder irons have a wattage rating that relates to 2 things: the temp of the tip and the ability for the iron to come back up to temp once it's applied to a surface. When you apply the iron to something the heat transfers from the tip of the iron to the material. Most solder iron from 15 watts to 35 watts have a tip temp of 700-750*F but they lack the ability to quickly recover the tip temp which means you have to wait a few seconds before the tip becomes "hot" again. Cheap soldering irons may not be the best for cutting fabric and may produce inconsistent results.

Higher wattage iron means that the tips will regain the heat faster and do a better job. Most solder iron have replaceable tips and different tips for different purposes (wood burning, stain glass, or eletronics work).

Weller is a very good brand of soldering iron and have good temp recovery times as compared to cheap Radio Shack irons. A soldering station would be the best bet as the have almost instant temp recovery and variable temps, but they are also expensive.

blackbishop351
03-15-2007, 10:24
I was thinking about doing this with my POS soldering gun, but Silnylon doesn't really need to be melted, from my experience.

Sil doesn't, but DWR and untreated ripstop do. I'll be switching to a soldering gun soon for that reason, and I'll probably use it on sil too, once I get comfortable with it. I like keeping things simple - one cutting method for everything :p

lvleph
03-15-2007, 10:46
Sil doesn't, but DWR and untreated ripstop do. I'll be switching to a soldering gun soon for that reason, and I'll probably use it on sil too, once I get comfortable with it. I like keeping things simple - one cutting method for everything :p

Yes, you are absolutely right about that. I probably should use the soldering gun for DWR, but then I guess why not use it for everything. It might save me from burning my fingers, since I won't use the lighter method any longer.

mr. dribbles
03-15-2007, 10:56
I get these disposable battery cautery units from work and they cut ripstop and webbing like a knife. One will last for quite a few projects. They're sold in most medical supply stores. Don't know if I could mail them to anybody...

Disposable cautery (http://iefusa.org/Catalog/SRS_FRONT/ProdDetail.php?product_id=96&=24)

Coffee
03-15-2007, 12:21
I would try that, but my hardwood floor cutting surface would not like it very well. I have a small candle in an altods can I used with my alcohol stove that works really well for me at heat sealing.

slowhike
03-15-2007, 16:35
i would think using the hot tip w/ a strait edge would be a quick, reliable way to get a perfectly strait edge.

lvleph
03-15-2007, 16:47
I like to use my laser.

southpawx3
03-15-2007, 16:53
i would think using the hot tip w/ a strait edge would be a quick, reliable way to get a perfectly strait edge.

Yeah I have had very good results with that method. I use a wood burning tool that I had laying around and either a 4' level or a wooden yardstick. I havent been able to make good cuts with scissors but hot cutting works well for me and you dont get any fraying ends.

slowhike
03-15-2007, 17:22
I like to use my laser.

if i use my laser, i'll cut the table in two:eek:

blackbishop351
03-15-2007, 17:52
I like to use my laser.

Does it have a girl attached to it? If so, I think HE is missing one of those... :p

Coffee
03-15-2007, 22:58
Does it have a girl attached to it? If so, I think HE is missing one of those... :p

Missing no, but I am on the look out for one.:eek:

Bird Dog
03-16-2007, 06:17
I like to use my maglite to cut material. Thats right, if you swing it fast enough there is no need to heat seal the edges! BD

Coffee
03-16-2007, 09:48
I like to use my maglite to cut material. Thats right, if you swing it fast enough there is no need to heat seal the edges! BD

I think I am coming to the conclusion that the Maglite to to Bird Dog as the jet boil/Tom Clayor hammock is to neo.:cool:

blackbishop351
03-16-2007, 09:53
I think I am coming to the conclusion that the Maglite to to Bird Dog as the jet boil/Tom Clayor hammock is to neo.:cool:

Yup! And if BD orders a new Mag in camo, we're all in trouble! :p

Coffee
03-16-2007, 10:01

There is just something not right about camo. Camo hammocks, maglites, or whatever.

I tend to break out in a rash everytime I come into contact with any.:confused:

Bird Dog
03-16-2007, 13:13

Good idea. Then, they will never see it coming! BD

sparkysko
03-16-2007, 18:52
There is just something not right about camo. Camo hammocks, maglites, or whatever.

I tend to break out in a rash everytime I come into contact with any.:confused:

Don't go hating on camo. There's a bazillion worse colors in the dollar bin at walmart.

Just Jeff
03-16-2007, 19:04
Like the pink camo in the Fayetteville Walmart?!

blackbishop351
03-16-2007, 19:06
Like the pink camo in the Fayetteville Walmart?!

LMAO!! I guess if anybody knew about that, it'd be you Jeff! :p

Just Jeff
03-16-2007, 19:07
Yeah. Guilty.

slowhike
03-16-2007, 19:30
now if you had a little girl instead of a boy, you'd be good to go:p

blackie
03-16-2007, 19:46
hey anyone think of using one of those cold heat soldering guns you see on tv..we have them at my walmart...the heat up instantly and return to finger cool in seconds.. i wonder if that would cut as well ... just mark material .and use the tool like a box cutter ..place.. push trigger ..and zip...might be worth a try..

blackbishop351
03-16-2007, 19:49
hey anyone think of using one of those cold heat soldering guns you see on tv..we have them at my walmart...the heat up instantly and return to finger cool in seconds.. i wonder if that would cut as well ... just mark material .and use the tool like a box cutter ..place.. push trigger ..and zip...might be worth a try..

I've used one of those before...I think they're a lower-heat gun. Just hot enough to solder, but maybe not hot enough to cut well. Might be worth a shot, though!

slowhike
03-16-2007, 19:51

i don't know how hot they get but if they don't cost to much, maybe you could check it out.
they might work great. and you wouldn't have to keep it hot except when you actually get ready to cut.

sparkysko
03-16-2007, 20:31

They won't work. The tip is two-parts, it requires the tip to touch something conductive to complete the circuit and heat up. Maybe if you soaked your material in water first?

How important is it to sear the edges of the material anyways? I double hem all my edges, so at least I can't see any of the messed up edges. I'm not sure how likely the nylon is to fray past the hem however.

stoikurt
03-16-2007, 20:52

Or...maybe like "Girls with frickin lasers on their heads" to someone else!:eek: Except they actually have theirs.:D

slowhike
03-16-2007, 21:29
They won't work. The tip is two-parts, it requires the tip to touch something conductive to complete the circuit and heat up. Maybe if you soaked your material in water first?

How important is it to sear the edges of the material anyways? I double hem all my edges, so at least I can't see any of the messed up edges. I'm not sure how likely the nylon is to fray past the hem however.

i don't think you really need to sear the edges of sil. but the hot cut w/ a strait edge would just be a quick, easy, strait cut.
other nylon fabric that's not sil, would probably not fray so easy if it was cut w/ heat.
some of the un-treated ripstop i've used frays so easy it starts fraying before i get it hemed.

Coffee
03-16-2007, 23:45
Or...maybe like "Girls with frickin lasers on their heads" to someone else!:eek: Except they actually have theirs.:D

Low man very low.:confused:

All in good fun though.:p

Coffee
03-16-2007, 23:47

I second the no on cold heat irons, for the same reason. I have one and only used it a little bit. I would only use it on soldering jobs where it was one or two or very far from a plug. For everything else it is a normal iron. Not that I do that much.

On the heat sealing, I am a cauious person when it comes to my gear. Heat sealing only takes a few minutes and gives me a lot of return for my time in terms of saftey and piece of mind. Well worth it for me. Especially on something weight bearing like a hammock.