PDA

View Full Version : Q: Climashield in DL HikerLite?

heyyou
05-11-2013, 11:18
My first double layer (DL) hammock has been ordered.

Has anyone tried putting Climashield synthetic insulation inside a BIAS double layer HikerLite (HL) hammock? This would not be much different than putting a folded poncho liner between the layers.

The polyester HL hammock is low stretch and the DL beefs up the weight capacity to more than double my weight, so my logic is that the insulation will not need to stretch because the hammock fabric won't be stretching.

I do expect compression of the Climashield (not so much on a poncho liner due to different insulation), so the temp ratings may not be accurate, but the breathable insulation is still attractive. This rig will be for my SpeerJack pipe hammock stand, intended for car camping, covered patio, and maybe in the bedroom. My down UQs are used in the higher, cooler mountains, so I haven't considered trying them here at home in the warmer foothills.

Your comments are welcome.

pgibson
05-11-2013, 11:24
You would get very little insulation value. The Climashield would compress far to much to hold warmth as its intended to. And Climashield would stretch and bunch and wrinkle and be a nightmare to keep in place under you between the layers of a hammock. It's nothing at all like a pad.

jbrianb
05-12-2013, 00:03
You would get very little insulation value. The Climashield would compress far to much to hold warmth as its intended to. And Climashield would stretch and bunch and wrinkle and be a nightmare to keep in place under you between the layers of a hammock. It's nothing at all like a pad.

Good answer. Thanks, Paul. I know you have lots of experience with it... We really don't.