PDA

View Full Version : Art Loeb - out and back

swankfly
05-18-2013, 21:44
Im thinking about doing this with my new hiking buddy, one week and 60 miles. Anyone see any issues here?

Grits
05-19-2013, 07:15
A great hike; and be sure to get the US Forest Service Shining Rock & Middle Prong Wilderness map. Take a compass or gps as the trails are not well marked. There are some threads in Whiteblaze and other sources that will help. Otherwise a beautiful area. Enjoy your hike.

swankfly
05-19-2013, 08:01
I hear it is beautiful, but I also read somewhere it was one of the most challenging trail in NC? So I was not sure if they were referring to navigation or terrain and that raised the question of being able to cover the 60 miles in a week.

Running Feather
05-20-2013, 03:29
You'll have a great time. I've sectioned hike the Art several times. Art is however, a sadist. He doesn't miss a root or a rock along the way :scared:

vpi99
05-20-2013, 13:22
The Art is amazing you will love it. If you want a loop there was one that we looked at that used part of the summit to sea trail and went from the ranger station area in Pisgah back to the Art at Black Balsam. We did not end up walking this so no clue what the trail is like but it is a possibility if you don't want to out and back.

FireInMyBones
05-21-2013, 10:55
You'll have a great time. I've sectioned hike the Art several times. Art is however, a sadist. He doesn't miss a root or a rock along the way :scared:

No kidding. It is a great trail, but with ~17,000' of elevation change one way, it is a tail kicker. The views and the challenge make it worth it.

hikinglitemike
05-26-2013, 08:47
Sounds like a great trip! I would however check with the Rangers as there has been some bear problems in the Shining Rock area. We had a group trip back in Oct. of last year and followed bear procedures with our food and "smellables" hung 15' in the air between two trees and the bear still got it. He ate well that night 10 peoples foo for 3 days! The next time I go to that area I'm using a bear canister.

swankfly
06-06-2013, 06:56
Sounds like a great trip! I would however check with the Rangers as there has been some bear problems in the Shining Rock area. We had a group trip back in Oct. of last year and followed bear procedures with our food and "smellables" hung 15' in the air between two trees and the bear still got it. He ate well that night 10 peoples foo for 3 days! The next time I go to that area I'm using a bear canister.

Sweet, just read all the stories on the net about "bear activity shing rock". I may finally consider a canister...I will have my dog with me, so I am hoping for some help there, but not much. Sounds like last year was a ridiculous year for bear activity in the southeast. Part of the AT in GA is requiring bear canisters now...I just hate the idea of 2+ extra pounds.

aboyd
06-06-2013, 07:37
We are planning a trip in July to do the Art Loeb. Now I am wondering whether I should add a canister to my pack as well? This will be my first hike and camp in bear country, so a new experience for me for sure.

Bikecop
11-16-2016, 12:48
Swankfly did you ever do this hike? Considering it also

Shug
11-16-2016, 14:09
Hickery and I did it in Oct. 2014.
We loved it.
Shug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd6ItNG7POs&list=PL42A47C8FBAB9C49A&index=36&t=11s

Bikecop
11-16-2016, 14:28
Thanks Shug, yeah i saw all those videos. My son & I did it in April 2015. I was toying with the idea of doubling it...davidson river to boyscout camp & back. but it's so dry now that water might be an issue.
half the parks are closed due to fires...