PDA

View Full Version : Static

Ekul
02-25-2009, 12:14
I am having some trouble with static electricity and my HH. Ive tried rubbing drier sheets all over it and me but the blue lighting bolts are getting spooky at night. Not to mention when my pup comes to say hi a spark to the nose is hilarious. Other than that I feel like a balloon has been rubbed over every bit of hair on me and it stands on end. Any suggestions? So far only been sleeping in colder weather and I assume the static will dissipate in warmer weather.

Cannibal
02-25-2009, 12:16
I can't believe you want a way to fix this. It's not just the Hennessy hammocks that have the light shows; it was/is one of my favorite sources of amusement.

Ekul
02-25-2009, 12:19
Its mainly that I cant stop laughing when my boxer presses her nose to the netting. I want to sleep not laugh like a little girl.

Cannibal
02-25-2009, 12:26
:lol:
Fair enough.

BillyBob58
02-25-2009, 23:01
I have never noticed this for some reason.

lori
02-25-2009, 23:48
You must have a really electric personality.:laugh: Never happened to me.

Have you tried that anti static stuff you can get for car seats?

tight-wad
02-26-2009, 00:09
That reminds me.... My grandfather could never wear an electronic watch for more than a few weeks before they died. Seems he had some kind of a personal magnetic field that would fry the electronics. Some folk got it and some folk don't?

lenle01
02-26-2009, 01:20
Try static guard spray. I spray some on my ripstop fabric before I start any DIY project. Keeps everything from sticking together. The only down side to the spray is the smell.

Rushthezeppelin
02-26-2009, 04:27
You know I've never had a really big problem with my hammock giving off static. My Primaloft bag gets ton's more static than it and I still don't really notice once I'm settled in for the night.....just a bit of static noise when I take it out of it's stuff sack.

dually
02-26-2009, 07:12
"Don't worry, we're within the cone of protection" we'd say to one another years ago as we continued during a thunderstorm and felt better thinking there was some magical cone that would protect us from a lightning strike.

This theoretical cone is known technically as the hammock ;) "Faraday Cage" or cone of protection.

Although no guarantee, the cone of protection theory asserts that a well-grounded lightning rod or mast will provide a zone of safety about its base with a radius equal to the height of the mast. For a sailboat, this would create a secure zone over the entire boat under most circumstances.

It's important to remember the hammock although widely accepted, is not supernatural. Enjoy the night lights while the humidity is low.

Frawg
02-26-2009, 07:48
Do you have nylon fabric rubbing against a polyester fabric anywhere? Have a look at the Wikipedia article on the triboelectric effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect). I get charged up like that if I wear layers of dissimilar material.

- Chuck

Ekul
02-26-2009, 09:46
Ill try the spray

Faraday Cage is a interesting theory.

I do wear dissimilar layers and ill run some tests.

thanks for the responses

Rushthezeppelin
02-26-2009, 23:36
Do you have nylon fabric rubbing against a polyester fabric anywhere? Have a look at the Wikipedia article on the triboelectric effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect). I get charged up like that if I wear layers of dissimilar material.

- Chuck

Such an interesting phenomenon. Did you know that you can create this effect with icebreakers hard mints? Pretty nifty to experiment with ; )

Frawg
02-27-2009, 06:09
Such an interesting phenomenon. Did you know that you can create this effect with icebreakers hard mints? Pretty nifty to experiment with ; )
Didn't know about the icebreakers, but I recall eating wintergreen lifesavers (http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/9911/tribo.htm) in front of a mirror in a dark room. Interesting (http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa060601a.htm), indeed!

Ah, for simple amusements in a hammock on a dark night! :D

Chuck

MacEntyre
02-27-2009, 09:55
It's gotta be your clothing... whatcha wearing?

Cannibal
02-27-2009, 09:57
It's gotta be your clothing... whatcha wearing?
Most of the arcs I see are between quilt and hammock. Now, my fleece sleeves will send up a nice array of sparks if I put my arm outside of my quilt.

Frawg
02-27-2009, 10:36
... So far only been sleeping in colder weather and I assume the static will dissipate in warmer weather.

Probably. Humidity tends to dissipate the charge. I believe antistatic sprays and sheets have hygroscopic properties, but can't say for sure. I encounter the same problem when exiting cars, especially in winter. BTW, if you hold something metallic, like a key, and touch something (someone?!) through that it will discharge you without the sting. Don't do it to a wife or a gas cap, though...

Ekul
02-27-2009, 12:10
Probably. Humidity tends to dissipate the charge. I believe antistatic sprays and sheets have hygroscopic properties, but can't say for sure. I encounter the same problem when exiting cars, especially in winter. BTW, if you hold something metallic, like a key, and touch something (someone?!) through that it will discharge you without the sting. Don't do it to a wife or a gas cap, though...

lol..yea would be another topic of "things that go boom".

what im wearing on the other hand is the culprit. Primaloft jacket and poly pro thermals. I got in the HH with cotton shorts and shirt and static was less of a problem. Its the synthetics. Antistatic spray helped alot also. drier sheets suck for this problem and just stunk up the hammock.

sonic
10-22-2009, 16:39
I use a bounce dryer sheet tied to my ridge-line. Now and then I take a fresh one and rub it all over the inside of my hennessy. seems to take the static right out. I get a lot of static in california, its the cool and dry air.

LakeTrek
03-04-2010, 19:09
Dryer sheet sounds like a good idea just to freshen things up, too. I haven't had the static problem, but may stash a dryer sheet just in case.

http://LakeTrek.blogspot.com

tbone
03-04-2010, 19:38
I like to look at the plus side of the static issue. Due to the fact I have 2 German Shepards I find that a UQ is not required for me due to all of the fur that sticks to my hammock when I do a test hang in the basement. Now that I have finally absorbed the lesson to use my elbow not my chapped and cracked fingertip to turn the light switch off its all good.