PDA

View Full Version : Appalation Trail motorcycle trip suggestions needed!

bowyorang
05-19-2013, 22:13
Was planning on going to Lake Superior but had a monkey wrench thrown at me! Now planning on heading east in a couple weeks and I am looking for some must see places in the Kentucky area, but not limited to there. About to start planning the motorcycle trip real soon. I won't be doing much hiking since I'll be on my bike except for maybe a few hours here or there. Mainly looking to stay at camp areas since I won't have a safe place to leave it.
If anyone has any ideas or must go to places please let me know. This will be my first trip in that direction.

Rain Man
05-20-2013, 07:24
Just one word -- Blue Ridge Parkway.

Stop counting words! LOL The Blue Ridge Parkway and the AT snake parallel to each other and across each other numerous times in Virginia south of the Shenandoah National Park. Lots of crotch rocketers and lots of hikers along there, so it must be a good place for both. In the SNP, you have the same thing, but with Skyline Drive, plus you have several campgrounds there.

Rain Man

STinGa
05-20-2013, 08:22
+ infinity on what Rain Man suggested. My family and I have done several full length BRP tours and always have a blast. Easy driving since there are no commercial vehicles, plenty of rest area / overlooks, tons of places for short hikes, and places to stay (either camp grounds or motels).

Don't pass up this chance.

STinGa

bowyorang
05-20-2013, 09:07
Sweet! Thanks guys, I am definitely going to check this out!

inspectorguy
05-20-2013, 09:09
Ditto on the Rain Man. Excellent advice.

CLANKBANG
05-20-2013, 11:44
What kind of Bike?
I would say in addition to the Blue Ridge (If you can handle dirt roads) take a tour around Linville gorge, or go up to Max Patch bald.
Mt. Mitchell is a worth while stop off the Blue Ridge.

hppyfngy
05-20-2013, 12:06
No disagreement from me as I live within a stones throw of the BRP and Skyline Drive.

Only caveat I'd mention is that they are both pretty slow rides. Skyline Drive is posted 35mph the entire 105 mile length and BRP is mostly 45mph.

If you have time and take your time both are well worth it. If you're in a hurry, maybe not. They're neither one made for hooliganism. :)

bowyorang
05-20-2013, 15:20
:lol: I wouldn't really consider myself a hooligan! LOL!
Actually, this will be my birthday present to myself celebrating my 40th! Slow roads a good with me!
I will be riding 99 BMW R1100R. Not really made for dirt roads unless its a short distance. Probably will have to stick to pavement.

hppyfngy
05-20-2013, 15:50
:lol: I wouldn't really consider myself a hooligan! LOL!

You never know! :laugh:

(I think there are a couple of hooligans in here...;))

bowyorang
05-20-2013, 21:13
You never know! :laugh:

(I think there are a couple of hooligans in here...;))

:laugh: I can appreciate that. Most of the time the hooligans have the most fun!

grannypat
05-20-2013, 21:17
Check out the Tail of the Dragon. Nice curvy road: http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/
Rattler is also an interesting ride: http://smokymountainrider.com/?p=4295

chattalotchuck
05-21-2013, 06:46
Dude I've put over 33,000 miles on my bike in 3 years and over 20,000 of em up in those hills. That includes dozens of great rides. If you want to stop by chattanooga and I'll do a thousand or more with you. :thumbup:

bowyorang
05-21-2013, 17:52
Dude I've put over 33,000 miles on my bike in 3 years and over 20,000 of em up in those hills. That includes dozens of great rides. If you want to stop by chattanooga and I'll do a thousand or more with you. :thumbup:

Chuck,
You got my attention!
I'll holler at you.

v0odoo98
05-21-2013, 20:46
I have ridden from Upstate NY down to the SNP and the BRP each year since 2008. All I can say is it is addicting and wish I lived closer. I do really like the section from The area of Boone to Cherokee!!

Safe Travels!!

bowyorang
05-23-2013, 21:20
Does anyone have any where to camp tips? I did a preliminary looking at a couple maps and I didn't see any campgrounds. Does anyone know of or have any suggestions on where to camp?

hppyfngy
05-24-2013, 16:18
Does anyone have any where to camp tips? I did a preliminary looking at a couple maps and I didn't see any campgrounds. Does anyone know of or have any suggestions on where to camp?

Like in what area? The BRP itself has a number of campgrounds along it's length. All very nice.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/camping-on-the-blue-ridge-parkway.htm

And there are many nearby it.

Also Willville is pretty famous for motorcycle camping. I've never been there but everybody says it's great.

http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/

Pretbek
05-24-2013, 16:54
Like in what area? The BRP itself has a number of campgrounds along it's length. All very nice.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/camping-on-the-blue-ridge-parkway.htm

And there are many nearby it.

Also Willville is pretty famous for motorcycle camping. I've never been there but everybody says it's great.

http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/

I was at Willville MC campground for the first time a few weeks ago. It is a very nice campsite, the owner is great, there are warm showers there as well as a campfire each night.

hawkerev
05-24-2013, 17:09
Most of the BRP in Western North Carolina has had the speed limit dropped to 35 MPH, 45 MPH is the Max. Sweet drive from MNT Mitchel up to Grave Yard Fields ... Lots to view and do, with short hikes galore!

happy birthday!

bowyorang
05-24-2013, 17:19
Thanks for the info on camping. Not real sure what part... Since I've never been there I don't know what to expect.
Is there anywhere to park a bike and walk down a trail a little ways to set up your own camp? Ya..I'm cheap. :)

chattalotchuck
05-25-2013, 08:37
The best campground Ive stayed at is the iron horse motorcycle lodge near deals gap they have camp sites cabins, hot showers etc... They serve breakfast and dinner i had salmon and baked potato... its south of the dragon on the moonshiner hwy #28.

chattalotchuck
05-25-2013, 08:53
The best campground Ive stayed at is the iron horse motorcycle lodge near deals gap they have camp sites cabins, hot showers etc... They serve breakfast and dinner i had salmon and baked potato... its south of the dragon on the moonshiner hwy #28.

chattalotchuck
05-25-2013, 09:04
http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

Grinder
05-25-2013, 14:38
I concur with the masses
Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway are must see locations.

I just hiked back and forth over Skyline last month on the Appalachian Trail.

I have driven the length of both on my Motorcycles.
The Park Service has exhibits/sites etc. along the roads. One is a typical farmstead. Another is a mill. Another is a typical cabin household. The rangers portray typical settlers from the era. It is well worth stopping.

I camped at Big Meadows (SLD); Willville Motorcycle Campground at Meadows of Dan; and one other campground near the western end. I hammocked in each location.

Two or three days is sufficient.

chattalotchuck
06-01-2013, 06:26
Looking forward to the back roads trip!!!! New tires and brake pads arrived last night and planning on working on it Sunday. Having fresh rubber, pads, and all fluids will make me feel better. Looks like a lot of fun miles ahead. See you Monday. Drive safe. Peace

bowyorang
06-01-2013, 09:35
Finishing up on packing today! Cant wait to get on the road. Going to be awesome! See you monday!

STinGa
06-01-2013, 13:38
Great to see that you are doing this trip. You will not be let down. Pick up one of the BRP paperback books when you stop at one of the stores. Several of them have the route broken down into tenth of a mile descriptions.

As mentioned, there are plenty of national park camp grounds, state park camp grounds, and hotels that cater to bikers. The one thing to think about is the national park camping sites don't have hot water or electric for recharging phones and tablets. But, you should be able to alternate sleep sites to take care of this issue.

Don't forget … if you don't share pictures, it didn't happen.

Stay safe,
STinGa

bowyorang
06-01-2013, 14:14
Great to see that you are doing this trip. You will not be let down. Pick up one of the BRP paperback books when you stop at one of the stores. Several of them have the route broken down into tenth of a mile descriptions.

As mentioned, there are plenty of national park camp grounds, state park camp grounds, and hotels that cater to bikers. The one thing to think about is the national park camping sites don't have hot water or electric for recharging phones and tablets. But, you should be able to alternate sleep sites to take care of this issue.

Don't forget … if you don't share pictures, it didn't happen.

Stay safe,
STinGa

Thanks, I'll definitely pick up one of the books.
I'll probably be staying at the ironhorse for a couple nights and then may explore a little farther away. My bike has a plug for charging all my stuff for me so electricity isnt a must, but it would be nice to have a hot shower from time to time! :D
I'll definitely be back with some pics!

Land
06-02-2013, 10:24
The area that you're headed to has some of the best motorcycling roads in the country for curvy-road riding.

Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in Cruso, NC, is a nice campground, as is the previously mention Willville. The parkway is nice (but with low speed limits), and you should definitely check out pretty much any road that crosses the parkway if you like curvy stuff.

Camping at the Iron Horse will put you in excellent position to go to Deal's Gap and do the Tail of the Dragon, but don't miss doing the Cherohala Skyway. You can pick up the skyway out of Robbinsville, NC, and ride over to Tellico Plains, TN. Check out Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters in downtown Tellico Plains. Neat shop.

Also, take 28 south toward Franklin, NC. After a short stretch of four-lane, you'll be glad you did. If you have time, continue through Franklin on 28 through the Cullasaja Gorge and down go to Highlands, NC, and on down to Walhalla, SC. Lots a curves.:boggle:

It's hard to find a bad road for motorcycling in the mounrajns of Western NC, East TN and North GA.:boggle:

Have fun.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that there aren't any hammocking motorcyclists who engage in acts of motorcycle hooliganism, BTW. :sneaky:

Chris

hppyfngy
06-02-2013, 12:49
I was waiting for Land to chime in... :D

chattalotchuck
06-02-2013, 17:18
Alright Bowyorang it's all serviced up, so I'll be ready when you get here tomorrow. The others are so right about this neck of the woods, great roads abound. If we hit the road before noon tomorrow i have planned a treat for you.
We can slip out of Chattanooga to Hwy 64 along the Ocoee river home 96 Olympic white water kayaking. Within afew miles just before the North Carolina border we will go north on hwy 68 to Tellico Plains and as already said a nice place to stop.One of my favorite roads the Cherahala Skyway into Robbinsville. After that its enie menie minie mo. Sorry about that spelling. Hell this sounds like fun.

hppyfngy
06-02-2013, 17:30
We expect pictures. Some of them should probably have hammocks in them...

:D

chattalotchuck
06-02-2013, 17:41
Just got a call from micah his having bike troubles in decatur al. can anyone help

hppyfngy
06-02-2013, 18:13
Aww crap...

Are you on ADVrider.com? That's where I'd go for help.

chattalotchuck
06-02-2013, 18:15
Looks like its a charging problem so he's going to try to make it to my house tonight and we will work on it tomorrow.

chattalotchuck
06-02-2013, 19:04
Thanks happy finger guy, yes I needed to spell it all the way out becuase all bikers use fingers for all kinds of stuff. You know for directions and information sharing and such. i almost forgot for pickin and scratchin too. S*** i even clean bugs off with mine, no towel needed. Hey thanks for the input

hppyfngy
06-02-2013, 19:29
I think we should leave my finger out of this. You don't know where it's been.

chattalotchuck
06-02-2013, 19:45
I don't know where I got the finger stuff:eek:. I think my brain was born in the gutter or be just off the curb :lol: Hopefully this trip will still be a go and l pictures will be included. I hope for bowyorang sake.

chattalotchuck
06-02-2013, 20:16
Bowyorang is stuck in Scottsboro.

Land
06-02-2013, 21:58
Bowyorang is stuck in Scottsboro.
:(

What's the charging issue? Are his connections at the battery tight and clean? Alternator belt tight?

Chris

chattalotchuck
06-03-2013, 18:54
we checked as much as we could all day and finely had to truck it to a shop in chattanooga and we are at my house and will wait for the shop to call us tomorrow.

hppyfngy
06-03-2013, 19:00
Oh come on... I had vicarious hopes for this trip.

Hope it's nothing serious and you guys can still get on the road.

chattalotchuck
06-03-2013, 20:46
Tomorrow we will do a day hike here on the Cumberland Trail that over looks the city and check on the bike in the afternoon. I live within 10 miles of the ct. With the heat we will hike to the waterfalls and streams.

MotoHanger
06-03-2013, 21:33
If you make it up into SW VA and need anything reach out to me, I am about 10 minutes off the BRP around Roanoke, VA. Hope the mechanical issue gets sorted out, great time of year and great area of the country to ride.

bowyorang
06-04-2013, 15:34
Havent given up yet. Someone is attempting to rebuild the starter. Hoping that is all that is wrong...
Chuck has been amazing in helping me. I really dont know what I would have done without his help. Thanks Chuck!

bowyorang
06-14-2013, 18:43
Hey y'all! Just wanted to give a quick update.
Got the bike fixed. Ended up being a combination of a bad connection on the battery cables, which caused the battery to not recharge. That ended up causing the started to lock up and at some point in me trying to search out the problem I caused an electrical connection to become loose somewhere under the tank. I won't go into detail as to how all this was figured out but it ended up being a several day and several hundred dollar fix. I'm not complaining about that because it could have been a lot worse. I was blessed with being in the company of two awesome people. Chuck not only gave me a place to bunk, but feed me and showed me a few of the sites around Chattanooga while I was there. The first day he came to where I was broken down at and he and I attempted to work all day on the bike in the blazzing sun in a parking lot. That afternoon his buddy, David, came and loaded the bike up in his truck and took it to his shop. I had broken down 70 miles south of Chattanooga. The next few days was a lot of ups and downs with the bike thinking the problem was one step away from being fixed and then another popped up. Not sure what I would have done without Chuck and David being there to rescue me but I do know that it would have been a lot more of a headache and would have probably ended up costing me several hundred dollars more. Unfortunately, the cost and the time that my bike was down cut my trip way shorter than I had hoped. Didn't make it to the Smokies, maybe next time. But I did meet two great guys! Thanks to both of these guys. Chuck, if you ever need ANYTHING from me, just ask!
Here is a few pics of the trip.
About to leave on the trip.
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/6438/uib0.jpg
First night. Broke down in parking lot.
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7699/r480.jpg
Next morning.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7026/ks0z.jpg
Camping in Chucks back yard.
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4071/41x3.jpg
Chuck and I on Lookout Mountain.
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/56/i9id.jpg
Chuck introducing me to healthy food....
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4078/9zqv.jpg
Heading back home. Stopped for a rain shower.
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4045/hcab.jpg
My new hammocks home in my son's room.
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5687/qrhh.jpg

hppyfngy
06-14-2013, 19:58
Well, son of a gun...

Good for all of you for making the most. I'd be happy to buy any of you a frosty beverage one day.

Every trip is an adventure, after all. :D

chattalotchuck
06-15-2013, 05:58
Thanks for sharing the pictures Micah:D. We thought we were going to ride 2 wheels in the country side and mountain tops, oh well. You're right it could have been worse. Chattanooga is a beautiful place to visit (Break down - be stranded) with plenty to see and do, I enjoy all the outdoor stuff right here. So glad you are safe and dude your attitude was so cool though the whole ordeal. I enjoyed the time and we did keep the rubber side down which is always a major plus. I've already started planning another trip in early July. Hiking from Pearisburg va. to Marion va. ( look for details this week). Have a good day all.:cool: