PDA

View Full Version : ENO Setup

Hooch
03-16-2007, 08:03
Hi, quick question for all. Does anyone else here besides me use a complete ENO setup? My son and I use a SingleNest and a DoubleNest, and both of us have a DryFly rain trap and SlapStrap Pro. I was thinking about switching my rainfly to a MacCat Deluxe to save weight. Does anyone have an opinion on the MacCat, negative, positive or otherwise? Any other suggetions for rain fly ideas?

Jazilla
03-16-2007, 08:04
Hooch, what do you do for bug protection in the ENO?

Hooch
03-16-2007, 08:08
I haven't used a bug net with my setup yet, and for that matter, don't even own one. Again, being a newbie to hammocking, I'm only taken mine on 4 trips, none of which were taken when or where bugs were a problem. I've thought about going with ENO's Guardian Bugnet or even switching to a Hennessy. I'm still prety happy with my ENO, so it may be hard for me to part with it.

stoikurt
03-16-2007, 08:13
Hooch,
From what I learned here, everyone that has a McCat or even a DIY clone of the McCat has been quite happy with them.

Hooch
03-16-2007, 08:19
Thanks Stoikurt, I'd kinda like to check out the MacCat or even make some of my own hammock goodies, but have absolutely no sewing skills whatsoever. Oh well, one of the reasons I'm here is to learn, right??

Bird Dog
03-16-2007, 08:39
Hooch, search this site for "MacCat". there is a thread where we talked alot about it. As a matter of fact, I remember posting on the topic yesterday. Anywho, I have a MacCat Deluxe. Plenty of room for doing lots of chores underneath and no problems with my HH getting wet. With ~ 20ft of Kelty triptease line (~ 10 ft on either side of the ridge) and 4 JRB STLs, my MacCat weighs 15oz. That is heavy by some standards, but I dont mind when it provides the amount of protection that it does. After 8 years in the military, I realized that I dont like to be wet when Im in the woods. Just my 2 grams, uhm cents. BD

peanuts
03-16-2007, 18:33
go with the maccat or get and 8x10 or 10x10 silnylon tarp. i use both(don't have the maccat..yet!) with my eno and a neighbor of my aunt that sewed the velcro and the nanonseeun for me. removeble and light weight.

Just Jeff
03-16-2007, 18:50
I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about MacCat tarps. They're high quality, lightweight, and offer great coverage and EXCELLENT performance in the wind. Doesn't mean the design is right for everybody, but if it fits your style I'm sure you'll be happy with the product.

Review on my page (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html) and one at BGT (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/MacCat%20Standard%20Hammock%20Tarp/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jeff%20Jackson/).

Hooch
03-17-2007, 07:05
I just may have to get a MacCat and check it out this year. Everything I've read on it thus far has been good. I don't think I've seen anyone with anything negative to say about it unless it was nitpicky at worst. I'm still pretty much convinced to stay with my ENO hammock and Slap Straps for now though; or at least until I figure out how to start sewing my own gear eventually. Oh well......everyone's gotta start somewhere! Thanks again for the excellent advice from you old pro's!