PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the SnugPak underblanket?

cjayflo
05-21-2013, 07:45
As always, looking to mess around with the set up and I am looking at under quilts. Does anyone use the snugpak underblanket with their DD hammock? Thoughts on it?

born2roam
05-21-2013, 12:03
As always, looking to mess around with the set up and I am looking at under quilts. Does anyone use the snugpak underblanket with their DD hammock? Thoughts on it?

Have used the quilt on both my Hennessy, a ticket to the moon and a Speer hammock.

Quilt is great, relatively cheap, but bulky and weighs a ton....so I got back to down...

Hope it helped a bit....

Grtz Johan

Draken
05-21-2013, 13:31
Exactly the same evolution in my gear.
Started out with the underblanket, but switched to a lighter and way less bulky downy goodness.
I still use the UB as an extra UQ in the wintertime.

craige
05-21-2013, 13:48
I have and currently use one, I am looking to upgrade when I can afford to though, I don't feel like it fits my hammocks, (diy gathered end) very well.

Many people in Europe use one and are happy with it, especially with dd or hennessey hammocks but I just cant seem to get it to fit 100% right, I think because of the unusual shape.

If I lived in the US and looking for a cheap/synthetic quilt then I would go for one of the arrowhead equipment quilts.

Shewie
05-21-2013, 16:16
I used one for a few years, cracking bit of kit but like others have said, they're bulky and heavy.

I had mine down well into the minuses regularly.

roman-soldier
05-21-2013, 16:52
I've got the Snugpak top quilt and a UK hammocks down winter under quilt, both are great. The down uq was twice the price of a snugpak and one of the lads I go out with has the Snugpak one and swears by it. The down is light and warm and has to be stored uncompressed and is expensive. The snugpak is synthetic can be stored compressed and cheaper... With hindsight I probably would go snugpak for top and bottom quilts.

cjayflo
05-21-2013, 19:18
Thank you for the replies, its what i expected so far. I really wish there was a hammock rental store so you could try stuff out.

born2roam
05-22-2013, 13:42
.....The snugpak is synthetic can be stored compressed and cheaper... With hindsight I probably would go snugpak for top and bottom quilts.

A bit OT maybe but afaik storing a synthetic quilt/bag compressed is worse for the product then down.....

That said I keep all gear like tarps, bags, hammocks loosely laying at the attic since I have the space...

Grtz Johan

ShortRound
11-20-2015, 10:56
How is the snugpak top quilt? What temps did you get it down to comfortably?

Kempster
11-20-2015, 18:45
I just finished fine tuning mine somewhat on my SBP. Had to add a continuous loop since it wasn't working very well tied to the woopie sling suspension. Tied the inner bungies together and put to the cl and tied the outer ones together and put a msh below the one for hammock. Seems to work great since I woke up 2 hours later while testing lol. Fell asleep. Guess it passed. Still want to tune it in but it's pretty awesome for the price. I don't find it tremendously heavy but then again I don't hike much anymore. Well worth the money either way.

Kempster
11-20-2015, 18:48
There is. Amazon. Easiest return policy I know of lol.

dirtwheels
11-20-2015, 20:06
UGQ has a rental program.

Thank you for the replies, its what i expected so far. I really wish there was a hammock rental store so you could try stuff out.

UGA

cjayflo
11-20-2015, 20:27
UGQ has a rental program.

UGA
Haha. Thanks

RevKev
11-20-2015, 20:32
Dirt wheels was being serious, UGQ does rent under quilts.

cjayflo
11-21-2015, 00:13
Dirt wheels was being serious, UGQ does rent under quilts.
I know. The original post was years old. Thank you though.

Dublinlin
12-01-2015, 22:34
I've been really pleased with my SnugPak under blanket. It is quick and easy to "dial in" properly and it is quite warm. I really like the fact that it doesn't lose its insulative value if it gets wet. Truly, the only downside I can find is that it is heavier and bulkier than a down UQ. I can live with that, though.

AUBuilderman
12-05-2015, 18:54
I know. The original post was years old. Thank you though.
I know you have others by now, but I will rent mine to you at our next scout camp out!:D

myingon
02-02-2016, 19:40
I've been really pleased with my SnugPak under blanket. It is quick and easy to "dial in" properly and it is quite warm. I really like the fact that it doesn't lose its insulative value if it gets wet. Truly, the only downside I can find is that it is heavier and bulkier than a down UQ. I can live with that, though.

I grew up in an area where the average summer day is 55* and raining. If you take down out for a five or six week outing you will be cold and misserable for four or five weeks. I will take the extra weight and sleep warm.

Dublinlin
02-02-2016, 19:53
I grew up in an area where the average summer day is 55* and raining. If you take down out for a five or six week outing you will be cold and misserable for four or five weeks. I will take the extra weight and sleep warm.

Myingon, where did you grow up? I notice your location now is within half an hour of the town I live in! Nice to see there are other hammockers here in the Ozarks. :)

The longer I've had the SnugPak Underblanket, the happier I am with it!

SemoBushman
02-10-2016, 21:52

I currently use the Snugpak Under quilt and Top quilt with my DD Frontline and it works great. I had to be a bit inventive to get the gaps out but it's doable. This passed weekend I hiked and hung at the peak of Bell Mountain here in MO. The temp dropped to 34 and I slept warm and cozy.

oldpappy
02-11-2016, 09:25
Interesting to see this 2013 post active again and see the same conclusions then as now - SP Under Blanket is inexpensive, works well, well built, but too heavy to use as a backpacking UQ.

Also interesting is that I haven't seen any on the FS post and the venders can't keep them in stock due to high sales rate. I assume people keep them because they are handy to use around the house or on car camp trips. I have one, like it, and plan to keep it as well.

Toxic
02-22-2016, 17:24
i Just ordered a snugpack under quilt and top quilt..I hope they are as great as everyone raves..I have rucked my a 12 pound CF sleep system before..this doesn't seem that heavy but i have no illusions that it will be as warm as my old army sleeping bags..

oldpappy
02-22-2016, 20:26
i Just ordered a snugpack under quilt and top quilt..I hope they are as great as everyone raves..I have rucked my a 12 pound CF sleep system before..this doesn't seem that heavy but i have no illusions that it will be as warm as my old army sleeping bags..

Read thru this while you wait for it to come in. This is the current thread with some good info.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/117652-Snugpak-Under-Blanket

wku413
04-17-2016, 10:51
I have used it with my Hennessy hammock. For the money, you can't beat it but it is a bit heavy and bulky. Worth a shot in my opinion.

Roguie
04-11-2017, 15:50
I use the Dd UQ and the snugpak TQ. I like both just fine, and have had them down to 40-ish with no problems. And I'm TERRIBLE about leaving my gear in the stuff sack to store, but haven't seemed to lose any insulating qualities after a year of use. A bit on the heavy side though.

Chesapeake
04-12-2017, 08:57
I absolutely love all my Snugpak gear, and I have A LOT of it. To make the UQ a bit lighter and easier to hang/adjust, the other day I swapped out the stock main shock cord for some reflective shock cord I had lying around that I got from Dutch for my old man winter tarp. I tied it into a continuous loop like my HG Incubator and added S biners on each end. Then to solve the problem of it sinking back to the middle, I added a secondary suspension in the fashion of my HG Incubator using the grosgrain loops on the corners and more reflective shock cord with small cord locks to adjust and bias it towards my head and feet. I had previously sewn channels on each end with shock cord to sinch it up like most other quilts as well. All that was left was to add a RL quilt hook on each end and it was done. Now it hangs exactly like my Incubator and CDT UQs' , is a little lighter, is more adjustable than stock and is easier to dial in which saves time and gets a better fit against the hammock. I'll post some pics today when I get the chance. It really is a great UQ, and now its even better.