PDA

View Full Version : Insight into jacks are better winter nest ?

howiez3
02-26-2009, 08:13
Didn't want to go off topic with the other thread ,comparing JAB Mt. wash to the speer snugfit .Rather I was wondering which uq. people would recomend to be warmer, better fit ,on my Hennesy BLUA ;the winter nest ,or the Mt. Washington.both seem similar in weight ? Thanks

Take-a-knee
02-26-2009, 08:28
Didn't want to go off topic with the other thread ,comparing JAB Mt. wash to the speer snugfit .Rather I was wondering which uq. people would recomend to be warmer, better fit ,on my Hennesy BLUA ;the winter nest ,or the Mt. Washington.both seem similar in weight ? Thanks

I've wondered the same thing myself. I have an older Nest that I cherish, like any other flat quilt you have to get it adjusted right, the Winter version will be no different. The Mt Washington is supposed to be easier to hang because it is differentially cut so you can't flatten the insulation out by setting it too tight. Unfortunantly I don't have any experience with a Mt. Washington. There are a couple of reviews linked at the Jacks' site on the Mt Washington, some of the testers used the Mt Washington on a Hennessy.

howiez3
03-06-2009, 12:24
I'm thinking the dif. cut is the deal breaker .but not sure of the small details of fit between the 2 . Oh well my tax returns not in ...yet !

BillyBob58
03-07-2009, 00:31
I've wondered the same thing myself. I have an older Nest that I cherish, like any other flat quilt you have to get it adjusted right, the Winter version will be no different. The Mt Washington is supposed to be easier to hang because it is differentially cut so you can't flatten the insulation out by setting it too tight. Unfortunantly I don't have any experience with a Mt. Washington. There are a couple of reviews linked at the Jacks' site on the Mt Washington, some of the testers used the Mt Washington on a Hennessy.

There is also a review here at this site:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

It (MWUQ) works great- virtually perfect on my JRB BMBH. I have tried it on my WBBB, and that seemed to work pretty good also, though I have little experience with UQs. No real worries about it being too tight causing loft compression.

Peter_pan
03-15-2009, 09:10

Howiez3, et al,

In considering these two quilts ..... Understand that they are both winter quilts capable of 10 degree or below for most folk under normal conditions.

They are pretty much equal in weight (Mt Washington is slightly heavier, 1-2 oz) and bulk..... The major trade off is the Winter Nest will be most convienent to use on your HH.... The Mt Washington also fits it well and is still easy to use and has another 10 or more degrees of temperature potection.

Currently they are both on deep sales at the same price.... So, your decision is cost neutral.

Hope this helps.

Pan

howiez3
03-25-2009, 17:47
ok, so what would you sugest if I have the zipper mod done ,making it a top loader ? I shold also metion I'm looking for 3 season (New England camping) and consider myself a cold sleeper .

HappyCamper
03-25-2009, 18:52
ok, so what would you sugest if I have the zipper mod done ,making it a top loader ? I shold also metion I'm looking for 3 season (New England camping) and consider myself a cold sleeper .

Then it's a no-brainer IMO. Go with Mt. Washington, differential cut!

Mustardman
03-25-2009, 18:55
Then it's a no-brainer IMO. Go with Mt. Washington, differential cut!

He did say he wanted something 3-season... perhaps he should wait until trail days, when the Jacks debut the 3-season version of the mt washington. I know *I* am anxiously awaiting that day!

DougTheElder
03-25-2009, 19:18
What Happy Camper said...She knows her stuff!!! I have a Mt. Washington and Rocky Mt. No Sniveller (flat quilt similar to the Winter Nest)...Given my experience thus far, I will put the Mt. Washington on the bottom because of its ease of first-try fit. I think a Mt. Washington should be part of the gear locker regardless of what else is in there.

*HangMan*
03-26-2009, 18:17
Howiez I have the Winter Nest and I am a cold sleeper and I am nice and toasty.

Take-a-knee
03-26-2009, 19:03

What is the rest of your setup and how low have you taken the Winter Nest?

howiez3
03-26-2009, 21:20

may I ask ,what part of the country you camp in? thanks

dowee
03-27-2009, 00:32
Hey everyone, I'm a new

member.

HappyCamper
03-27-2009, 07:59
He did say he wanted something 3-season... perhaps he should wait until trail days, when the Jacks debut the 3-season version of the mt washington. I know *I* am anxiously awaiting that day!

Mustardman, I didn't know the Jacks were doing a 3-season version of the Mt. Washington. Very cool! I take it that it will have the differential cut? I hope they bring one to the MAHHA hang.

Peter_pan
03-27-2009, 08:12
Mustardman, I didn't know the Jacks were doing a 3-season version of the Mt. Washington. Very cool! I take it that it will have the differential cut? I hope they bring one to the MAHHA hang.

HC, et al,

There will be a couple prototypes at the MAHHA....:)

Matter of fact, even earlier, they will be on the AT with us hiking from Pine Funace SP, PA to the border at Penn-Mar...If anyne is hiking that area keep an eye out for us and the MW-3s...:D

Pan

howiez3
04-05-2009, 14:10
ok ,it was a tough choise ,went with the mtwuc .Mosty cause I'm a cold sleeper ,secondly if I wanted to get a bridge hammock later it would fit .The fact that I always seem to hit the trail early and late in the season adds to my pick. I think the Mt.washington will I hope cover these ends of the season .I'll do another weight uc for summer/warmer weather .um when the wifes not watching the checkbook!