PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable pad in a hammock?

Frolicking Dino
03-16-2007, 16:32
Hammock Engineer has loaned me a hammock (HH Ultralite Asym) so I can give hammocking a serious try. After reading DixieCritter's comments on her first night in a hammock (the pad was so hard she didn't sleep well), I wondered if I could use my BA insulated air core in a hammock? It is 20" x 72" rectangle.

Rock told me he cut his ccf pad to mummy shape at the foot to keep the foot from twisting up and over his feet in a hammock.

My concern is the need to reposition my injured leg during the night to keep some of the muscles from cramping. This is especially important after a day of hiking as the muscles tend to cramp more. I am normally a size sleeper if this makes any difference in your answers.

The male dino currently has a Thermarest ProLite4 - could he use that or do I need to drag out our pre-accident Ridgerests?

blackbishop351
03-16-2007, 16:39
I'll let slowhike comment on the inflatable pad. It seems he's had really good results with it - not only can he partially inflate it for comfort, but the thickness lifts him off the bottom of the hammock, giving him more room side-to-side and making it easier to move around.

I don't know about the Prolite - I've heard thoughts on their use in a hammock that indicate some potential problems. Specifically, the little holes in the foam that reduce weight still insulate on the ground because there's little or no air movement under them. Because of this, the pad might not insulate as well in a hammock when there's air flowing underneath. My Z-rest has the same issue. It's warmer than nothing, but doesn't insulate nearly as well as it does on the ground. My 'normal' TR works great, though.

Just Jeff
03-16-2007, 18:01
The only problem I could see with an inflatable is balance. Something that's only 20" but that thick holds me up off the hammock pretty high...rolling over is just a bit trickier if I want to stay on the pad. But I also fully inflate mine so I don't need wings...partial inflation would make staying on the pad less of an issue but might reduce shoulder coverage.

For me, this isn't really a problem...I think the Exped is pretty comfortable. Your leg might make it more of an issue. Or it might not.

Be sure to test it at home before you go hiking with it, though. And if that BA is a bit too narrow, there are a few wider insulated inflatables you could try.

FanaticFringer
03-16-2007, 18:08
Yea, I'd try out at home both the CCF and inflatable. I would not make a decision based on how someone else slept.

slowhike
03-16-2007, 18:38
i absolutely love the inflatables.
i have the BA insulated aircore & the exped DAM for colder temps.
different people report different temp comfort ranges but in colder weather i'm convinced that it's a good idea to take a ccf pad as well... even if it's just a 3/4 or torso length. if you find that you're sleeping cold on the inflatable, the ccf will add noticeably to it's comfort range.
also, if you would happen to run into a leak problem that would be hard or impossible to repair before you need to use the pad to sleep, the ccf would be a large help.
you may never run into that problem but it does happen on occasion<g>.
and if you use the air mat only partly inflated (that's by far what feels best to me) the ccf will be helpful insulation in the thin spots.
i believe the HH holds you a little higher so partly inflated would be more stable like jeff said.

headchange4u
03-17-2007, 07:58
I have used a Big Agnes Air Core in my hammock before. It works but as others have stated it makes me ride a little high in the hammock and gives a slightly off balance feel. The Thermarest is shorter than my BA so it may work better.

emptyman
03-23-2007, 09:03
Honestly, I think putting pads into the hammock is nothin' but trouble. Too many times have I tried that and ended up twisted and tortured. Solution? I would say that it is the Hennessy Undercover/pad system. It keeps the pad snug against you, but underneath the hammock. It is great and light, and you don't need to go to the Big Agnes, which is really the only other sensible option, i think.

slowhike
03-23-2007, 16:25
Honestly, I think putting pads into the hammock is nothin' but trouble. Too many times have I tried that and ended up twisted and tortured. Solution? I would say that it is the Hennessy Undercover/pad system. It keeps the pad snug against you, but underneath the hammock. It is great and light, and you don't need to go to the Big Agnes, which is really the only other sensible option, i think.

i really see two good reasons that a person would use a pad in the hammock.
one is to have a safety margin in case of the need to go to ground (like unexpected cold that is beyond the capability's of your gear & body, or a busted hammock or supports).
another reason is comfort. for a lot of people, the hammock it's self is great, but for some (like myself... broke back & lots of ribs in 2002, then had two surgeries) the taughtly stretched hammock is a little to firm.
i have slept on an insulated air mat in a hammock every night for over two years now.
i use the pad partly inflated. that way it is more conforming to my body & doesn't cause me to ride high & unballanced. ...tim

Frolicking Dino
03-23-2007, 16:53
As Slowhike says, the tautness of a hammock is a bit much for injured parts. I can't sleep on my right side on a really firm bed mattress.

Just Jeff
03-23-2007, 16:56
...the Big Agnes, which is really the only other sensible option, i think.

That's a pretty bold statement. I think there are lots of sensible options.

FanaticFringer
03-23-2007, 18:19

Welcome to the site Emptyman,

Dont give up on regular pads just yet. You might try using a SPE from Speer Hammocks. I've used some pads in the past that would not allow me to shift the pad in the hammock so I know what you mean. When you use the SPE or a pad that will let you position it easily such as the Wally World pad in say a Hennessy Hammock, it is really only a matter of shifting it to the side a little while you get in.