PDA

View Full Version : the new KAQ

Crawldaddy
02-27-2009, 23:10
I see the KAQ is going to be made to sell again. I looked on the website but didnt see any dimensions or weight specs. Does anyone know what these might be? I didnt see a link on the website for email. thanx,, bill

Take-a-knee
02-27-2009, 23:14
I see the KAQ is going to be made to sell again. I looked on the website but didnt see any dimensions or weight specs. Does anyone know what these might be? I didnt see a link on the website for email. thanx,, bill

If that is true that is good news. The one I had, with two 0,8in layers of Polarguard 3D, weighed 27oz.

cshama
02-28-2009, 01:03
What size can you pack the KAQ to. I was set on the snugfit- how does the kaq compare?

cshama
02-28-2009, 01:52
Well I guess I am too impatient to wait for an answer and I just ordered one. I decided to give it a shot after reading the warranty page. It seemed so chilled out. :)

Guarantee

Simple, I want you to be happy with my products. If you take one on a trip, use it, and find out it's not for you, just return it. I don't want you to feel stuck with anything that's not right for you, and I know that sometimes only actual use in the field will tell you what is.

Warranty

These are lightweight products and need to be handled with some care. That said, I make them as strong as I reasonably can and I expect them to last. If you have a problem caused by a manufacturing defect, send it back and I'll fix it or send you a new one. If you have a problem caused by misuse, send it back and I'll fix it for a reasonable charge (less if your story of misuse is a really good one). I send you a clean product, please send me one back. Washing instructions are on the product details page if you need them.

Take-a-knee
02-28-2009, 07:43
What size can you pack the KAQ to. I was set on the snugfit- how does the kaq compare?

It's a bit bulky, that is it's only downside. Stuffed it is twice the size of a JRB quilt.

Dutch
02-28-2009, 08:06
Who is making the KAQ? does anyone have a link?

headchange4u
02-28-2009, 08:23

One of Hammock Forum's own is going to start making and selling KAQs again. I don't want to jump the gun and give away and details but an announcement will be made soon.

cshama
02-28-2009, 09:47
It's a bit bulky, that is it's only downside. Stuffed it is twice the size of a JRB quilt.

I travel by motorbike so hopefully it wont be too much of an issue. I like the idea of 1) saving $100 and 2) using synthetics for an exterior quilt

but if its too big for my pack I will have to send it back :(

cshama
02-28-2009, 09:49
Here is the link btw http://www.kickassquilts.com/

I dont think its a big secret or anything

Cannibal
02-28-2009, 10:04
One of Hammock Forum's own is going to start making and selling KAQs again. I don't want to jump the gun and give away and details but an announcement will be made soon.
He's already put it in his signature; no secret anymore. :D

headchange4u
02-28-2009, 10:37
He's already put it in his signature; no secret anymore. :D

Well all that secrecy for nothing.:p

Cannibal
02-28-2009, 10:43
Considering all the buzz of late, I guess the real question is "how long till we get one fitted for a Blackbird?"
The site does look very nice; well done mystery man!

MacEntyre
02-28-2009, 21:54
MrPrez (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/member.php?u=1861)is making the KAQ... he only just put the web site (http://www.kickassquilts.com/) up this week.

I travel by motorbike so hopefully it wont be too much of an issue.
I'll be taking my KAQ on it's first ride on my airhead next weekend! It's not much of an issue.

Mrprez
03-01-2009, 20:42
Official announcement coming soon along with a separate forum for the KAQ. I am very pleased to have taken ownership of this fine product!

hawkeye
03-02-2009, 08:34
I just got a Speer hammock. Will it work on it?
Greg

Mrprez
03-02-2009, 08:54
I just got a Speer hammock. Will it work on it?
Greg

With some easy modifications, it would work fine. The standard KAQ is asym cut to match the Hennessy Hammock. To fit a Speer, I would make it more barrel shaped. Same price though. If you order one, just let me know that you have a Speer.

hawkeye
03-02-2009, 09:11
With some easy modifications, it would work fine. The standard KAQ is asym cut to match the Hennessy Hammock. To fit a Speer, I would make it more barrel shaped. Same price though. If you order one, just let me know that you have a Speer.

Soon as I have the $$$ I'll be getting one!

cshama
03-03-2009, 22:10
John is making my UQ as I type- I will give it a review when I get it and try it out.

Rushthezeppelin
03-05-2009, 15:59
Considering all the buzz of late, I guess the real question is "how long till we get one fitted for a Blackbird?"

Indeed, I am interested in this as well. I might purchase one when I get the money to get my BB too.

Mrprez
03-05-2009, 16:58

Hopefully not too long. The first production KAQ is in the box for shipping tomorrow (will go on a Claytor). The 2nd will be right behind that and then one for a Speer. If I had a BB to play with....:eek:....the only thing that has me puzzled on the BB is that footbox. I'd need to see one up close to figure out how to cover that area.

I will most likely be looking at making this a 1/2 to 3/4 length UQ and not a full length one like the KAQ Potomac.

bigfoot2
03-05-2009, 22:56
Hopefully not too long. The first production KAQ is in the box for shipping tomorrow (will go on a Claytor). The 2nd will be right behind that and then one for a Speer. If I had a BB to play with....:eek:....the only thing that has me puzzled on the BB is that footbox. I'd need to see one up close to figure out how to cover that area.

I will most likely be looking at making this a 1/2 to 3/4 length UQ and not a full length one like the KAQ Potomac.

As a future Blackbird owner (March 10!!!!), i am VERY interested in a full length KAQ. Figure the foot box out soon and you will make a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I looked all over the KAQ site, but no weights were listed. How much does each model weigh?

BF:cool:

Mrprez
03-06-2009, 06:55
As a future Blackbird owner (March 10!!!!), i am VERY interested in a full length KAQ. Figure the foot box out soon and you will make a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I looked all over the KAQ site, but no weights were listed. How much does each model weigh?

BF:cool:

The ones that are shipping today weight 30 ounces. That includes the stuff sack. I'm looking for ways to get this weight down as much as I can.

Mrprez
03-06-2009, 07:11

Thanks for the heads up on the email address...I have added that to all pages on the site.

The Potomac quilt is weighing at 30 ounces. I didn't measure one...duh...but will do so on the next one I build. Starting another one this morning. The cut pieces run 90 inches by 60 inces and you lose maybe 2 inches overall by the time all is said and done. The ends are 30 inches cut and again maybe 28 inches after turning it right side out. But, I will measure one to be sure.

The stuff sack I use is pretty big, but allows you to easily pack the quilt into the sack. I call that a "loose fill". Then you can cram all that into your pack and it will fill whatever area you give it. The insulation is remarkably springy and will fluff right back up pretty quickly. Makes for some interesting box packing!

BTW, when you get your box, do NOT open it with a knife!!!! The box is full and anything sharp that goes into the box is also going into your quilt.

Ramblinrev
03-06-2009, 07:45
Mr. prez... do you put a sticker on the box saying "Do NOT cut box!" If you don't you might want to think about having some made. It might be a cheap insurance if you are sending packages to non-forum members.

Mrprez
03-06-2009, 07:51
Mr. prez... do you put a sticker on the box saying "Do NOT cut box!" If you don't you might want to think about having some made. It might be a cheap insurance if you are sending packages to non-forum members.

Good idea! I will write it on them for now though...