PDA

View Full Version : IN>CO>Golden Gate Canyon

animalcontrol
05-29-2013, 19:29
Hey all..

Old timer here...I thinking of a motorcycle trip to the Rockies and I'm curious...
What are the hanging requirements for the National and State parks in CO?
I have no interest in carrying a tent on my bike for 1100 miles if I don't need to...heck, I may find a different location if CO isn't hanger friendly (or maybe a hang at my old friend cannible?!)

Cheers all!!
AC

OutandBack
05-29-2013, 19:51
Golden Gate Canyon State Park's drive in camp ground will probably have an issue with a hammock. Do to the number of peeps that visit Colorado State and National Parks I would think you'd have an issue hanging anything from their trees. The National Forests are far more relaxed about hammocks.
hth

animalcontrol
05-30-2013, 13:16
Golden Gate Canyon State Park's drive in camp ground will probably have an issue with a hammock. Do to the number of peeps that visit Colorado State and National Parks I would think you'd have an issue hanging anything from their trees. The National Forests are far more relaxed about hammocks.
hth

Any suggestions? This is my first time to CO and I'll have 3 days. Just looking to camp and tour on the bike to see some sights...not backpacking
Thx

OutandBack
05-30-2013, 14:35
Any suggestions? This is my first time to CO and I'll have 3 days. Just looking to camp and tour on the bike to see some sights...not backpacking
Thx

To be honest there are so many route's to choose from it is hard to recommend one. Do you want to stay on pavement the whole time?

RMNP/Estes Park will be a zoo. I'd stay as far away as one could get.

hth

Cannibal
05-30-2013, 15:06
RMNP/Estes Park will be a zoo. I'd stay as far away as one could get.
For sure!
If you had more time and could get deep into the backcountry, it isn't so bad. Otherwise, Hell on Earth. I'd be tempted to hit the Colorado Trail. There are already two zillion bike riders on it every day; three of which, on average, are courteous to hikers. :glare:

National Forest and National Parks will not make you take your hammock down.

Cannibal
05-30-2013, 15:07
And yes, you are always welcome at Casa Cannibal. I gotz beer!

animalcontrol
05-30-2013, 18:42
And yes, you are always welcome at Casa Cannibal. I gotz beer!
****...how can I say no to that offer!! details TBD

ibgary
06-03-2013, 21:52
One of the great things about the west is the abundance of national forest land. Go a 1/4 or half mile up a forest service road find a pull out and hang your hammock.
I sated a few days in Golden Gate Canyon SP last summer. Two rangers talked to me about the hammock, but neither told me to take it down. Explain tree huggers if you get the chance.
National parks are all different. I've hung in Zion, Kings Canyon, Sequoia and others, but last year I was told to sleep on the ground at Capitol Reef.

sliver
06-20-2013, 21:46
I checked and neither the RMNP nor Colorado State Parks have any regulations prohibiting hammocks. However, when I asked a RMNP ranger about it, he told me that they did check to see if I was using straps instead of rope/cord on the trees. I have heard that before from other people who hung hammocks. The park rangers don't want the trees damaged.

animalcontrol
06-23-2013, 08:56
What happens when a backpacker starts motorcycle touring on a budget?
Here is the planned setup (also a tank bag)...I tested it on a 5 hr ride to visit canoebie. It was perfect...
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/5/3/4/p1010741.jpg

ibgary
07-03-2013, 22:52
I'm leaving in two days. 30 days in a Dangerbird and a lot of miles.
Thanks everyone for all the great info.

g2outdoors
07-06-2013, 19:27
Jealous of that setup. Have fun!

Oms
07-15-2013, 21:30
Have fun on your trip AC :)

Cannibal
07-23-2013, 10:29
animalcontrol arrived at Casa Cannibal last night; safe and sound.
He got to meet all the critters then he learned an important lesson about cold beer and altitude....it don't take much! :lol:

He is off exploring the mountains today. His ride, is very nice!

animalcontrol
08-04-2013, 08:44
had an awesome time!
Cannibal and Genuine Draft were amazing hosts! China, Spike and Arlo provided entertainment (and the wake up calls!) and the mountains were beyond spectacular!!
8 days, 3000 miles, 65 hours of seat time = the perfect way to forget about the daily grind!

thanks again Cannibal and you have accommodations here in central Indiana if you have a need!