PDA

View Full Version : Measuring for ridgeline

Cascades
05-30-2013, 17:09
I'm a n00b to all of this.
Bought a SB Pro--cheap-- and some amsteel. Replaced the gathered loop with and amsteel continuous loop.
Put the hammock on the floor and measured it from the edge ofmthe frabic at one to the same point on the other.
I got 115 inches = 9' 6"
Grand trunk says the hammock is 10' 6" = 120 inches.
Huh?
Can someone help me out?
I' going to make a ridgeline and the lengthnseems to be somewhat important.
Hel!

ST

oldgringo
05-30-2013, 17:26
It's a mystery, ain't it? I think the advertised dimensions are cut size , before hemming and channels.

Forget all of that, and stretch it tight...measure between the points where the suspension stops and hammock starts. That's the only one that matters.

Oh,and 10-6 is 126".;)

Cascades
05-30-2013, 17:31
Oops.
You're right, of course. 126"
Laid the hamoock out on the living room floor and still ge 115 inches.
Urgh

ST

Ratdog
05-30-2013, 17:52
Ran into the same thing here is old thread. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60323)

Just as OG says, measure the fabric and go with 83% of that.
I put on an adjustable ridgeline, played all sorts of games, tried different stuff, guess where I wound up? Yep right about 83%.

XTrekker
05-30-2013, 20:25
Ran into the same thing here is old thread. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60323)

Just as OG says, measure the fabric and go with 83% of that.
I put on an adjustable ridgeline, played all sorts of games, tried different stuff, guess where I wound up? Yep right about 83%.

83% or less. Some like little more sag in the hammock. I did my friends hammock set at 70% and it ended up being perfect. Gave a super flat lay with absolutely no calf ridge.

Cascades
05-30-2013, 23:52
So perhaps an adjustable ridgeline, AKA a l-o-n-g whoopie sling is in order?

Ratdog
05-31-2013, 07:47
Absolutely.
Then you can try different lengths and see which you prefer.

Like XTrekker said, some like it shorter.

By one ARL (or make it) and some dyneema or what have you to make a final version after you dial it in. You can always re-use the ARL on the next hammock when you repeat the process. Because, well, that's how it seems to go around here. :D