PDA

View Full Version : Winter Mod ?????

NorseAmerican
02-28-2009, 17:49
Brandon,
This is no way to sugest there can be improvement on perfection-just a thought, and was wondering if this is possible. As a potential upgrade to enhance winter hammocking warmth-can the BB be made with a totally removable bug net and then make in same shape an over cover(similar to Clark?) to put in it's place? One does not need the bug net in winter anyway. Would need a vent hole in there on top I guess. To achieve this without compromising the shelf, maybe use a solid piece of 1.1 over shelf portion and make zipper go straight across without dealing with going down to the bottom of shelf portion. If possible and you think this is a good idea, I would be happy to buy one for my son-err uh-me. If you feel this may work, but not offer it to public, how much would this mod cost? If offered to public, is there a free mod to my next BB as finder/tester fee??:D:boggle::boggle: Or have you already thought of this and are waiting to release version BB1.1?

Mustardman
02-28-2009, 18:13
I could be way off here, but I'm under the impression that Tom Hennessey's patent for asym hammocks covers asymmetrical bug netting. Not only is the shelf nifty as a place to store your crap, but it neatly works around the patent by allowing the bug net to be completely symmetrical. Cutting off the shelf bit would negate that benefit.

Otherwise, I think it's an awesome idea, and would love to see one of the clever DIY'ers around here do it and see how it works out.

NorseAmerican
02-28-2009, 18:21
No, Sorry if I was not clear. I only sugest replacing bug netting over shelf portion with nylon. This would be to simplify the zipper path and help with strength. Keep the shelf!:D

Mustardman
02-28-2009, 19:13
I understood what you meant the first time - my point is, the bug netting over the shelf makes the overall piece of bug net symmetrical. If you remove the bug net over the shelf and replace it with nylon, then the bug net is no longer symmetrical and you're potentially in violation of the HH patent.

warbonnetguy
02-28-2009, 19:18
well, i've been messing around with just a removeable overcover, just ripstop that covers all the netting, basically same shape as the netting, alot like the hh overcover. making the net removeable would add lots of complication (price) and more weight, probably more weight than just having a ripstop overcover that you could take or leave depending on the weather. fishin fill has been messing around with a bb topcover too

NorseAmerican
02-28-2009, 19:35
How would you fasten the over cover? Double zipper? Hook and Loop?

NorseAmerican
02-28-2009, 19:40
I understood what you meant the first time - my point is, the bug netting over the shelf makes the overall piece of bug net symmetrical. If you remove the bug net over the shelf and replace it with nylon, then the bug net is no longer symmetrical and you're potentially in violation of the HH patent.

Ok, I understand. Always a way-1" hitch off asym off or something. I wonder how someone makes an asym patent anyway. Used in Spinnaker sails all the time and they would make great hammocks-could fit the whole family of the octuplet babies in it:lol:

RAW
02-28-2009, 19:42
I must admit, the only thing that has kept me from buying a Blackbird is the lack of a topcover. I know that plenty of you guys do just fine without one, but . . . having the topcover/weathershield on my Clark has made me a believer. It really does boost the temp inside the hammock.

Mustardman
02-28-2009, 19:47
Top cover seems like such an easy thing to rig yourself, though. I'm thinking about picking up a driducks poncho and playing with modding it a bit like in this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=98276

Really, seems easy as pie - slap some fabric over, hook it onto the bungee tieouts and the ridgeline, and enjoy the warmth. Maybe it doesn't zip in place, but I wouldn't want the bulk and weight of all those zippers and stuff all over the place anyways.

NorseAmerican
02-28-2009, 19:53
I must admit, the only thing that has kept me from buying a Blackbird is the lack of a topcover. I know that plenty of you guys do just fine without one, but . . . having the topcover/weathershield on my Clark has made me a believer. It really does boost the temp inside the hammock.

I picked the BB because it had much of what I like in HH and Clark, and is wider. Winter temps were not much of a concern for me, though I am getting an itch to start a thru hike of AT starting in winter months......Got the bug bad.

NorseAmerican
02-28-2009, 20:07
Top cover seems like such an easy thing to rig yourself, though. I'm thinking about picking up a driducks poncho and playing with modding it a bit like in this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=98276

Really, seems easy as pie - slap some fabric over, hook it onto the bungee tieouts and the ridgeline, and enjoy the warmth. Maybe it doesn't zip in place, but I wouldn't want the bulk and weight of all those zippers and stuff all over the place anyways.

How would a piece of tyvek do? Cheap(lots of abandoned housing project around-just kidding)and breathable.

warbonnetguy
03-01-2009, 00:48
don't think you would want a tight seal on it anyway, it still needs venting to keep condensation at bay. the hh even has a breathing hole.

Rushthezeppelin
03-01-2009, 19:36
How would you fasten the over cover? Double zipper? Hook and Loop?

I believe one of Fishin's covers basically had wings that slipped over the BB wings and then something pulling it around the ends of the hammock.

Shug
03-01-2009, 19:49
Here are some FF TC pix....