PDA

View Full Version : Any solution for bugs and rain?

bristolview
03-01-2009, 09:53
Ok, I'm a newb at these, but I like the company so I thought I'd give them a look. I've gone hammock camping in various 'jungle hammocks' which offer bug netting and rain coverage. In the US North East, both are essential as I'm not sure I've ever been on a back woods trip without rain, and the bugs go with the territory. These hammocks look very comfortable, but what do you do about bugs and rain? Any options?

Cannibal
03-01-2009, 13:36
You can DIY a bug tube pretty easily. Warbonnet (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/travel_h.htm) sells one too!:thumbup1:
There are tons of choices to make when it comes to tarps. Most people end-up getting a larger tarp anyway. One nice thing is that you get to customize your set-up right off the bat.

cavediver2
03-01-2009, 14:13
Ok, I'm a newb at these, but I like the company so I thought I'd give them a look. I've gone hammock camping in various 'jungle hammocks' which offer bug netting and rain coverage. In the US North East, both are essential as I'm not sure I've ever been on a back woods trip without rain, and the bugs go with the territory. These hammocks look very comfortable, but what do you do about bugs and rain? Any options?

take a look at the clarks and all the clarks now that are being made are made of 100% misquito proof material along with the bug net and weather shield is how you combat those things.

Cannibal
03-01-2009, 14:32
Took me a while to figure it out because he doesn't mention it anywhere in the post, but he posted in the TrekLight forum. I can only assume the question is directed about a bug net and tarp solution for a TL. They (TrekLight) don't sell anything like that right now.

I see why you like the folks at Clark cavediver2. I've been having email conversations with them for a couple of weeks now. They seem very helpful and don't seem to be bothered by my silly questions. :rolleyes:

bristolview
03-01-2009, 16:12
Cavediver, I am quite familiar with the Clarks as a friend of mine has let me use his all winter for my winter camping. I love the Clark NA, but it's expensive. Before I make a choice which to jump on for my own, I was looking around. I like the TrekLight company and gear, so thought I'd look to see if one of those would work for me. Cannibal is correct, my question was in regard to the TL's.

Clark is a great company, with great people, with a great product. My only problem is cost, as they're expensive. Where I tend to hike, there is almost always rain and bugs, so I need something that can shed them away. When there isn't rain and bugs, there is snow. The Clark handles all of the above, hard to find a better solution I think. Still, thought I'd poke around a bit before investing in anything of my own.

DuctTape
03-01-2009, 16:15
bristolview, you might want to check out the Claytor Jungle Hamock. I have the Claytor mosquito and love it. They are a little less expensive than the clarks.

Dameon
03-01-2009, 16:39
Well mister Bristolview I must tell you that I have and love my TrekLight Double all I did was buy a Guide Gear tarp from the Sportsmans guide (around 30 bucks) and I got a bugnet from my local sportsmans warehouse, but they have them at any camping place, just the cheap ones made to hang over a cot or whatever and it worked great for me, but ever since I treated my Hammock with Permethrin <sp> I haven't needed to use it, and I camp a lot in the Congaree Swamp and trust me, tons of mosquitoes there!! And I have seen several different hammocks in person (no BlackBird yet) and I still like mine best, wouldn't trade it yet (as I said though, I have yet to see or lie in a BB lol) Anyways Just sayin if you like the TrekLight, get it and iy is very easy to make it work for you!!

Mustardman
03-01-2009, 16:42
Fairly new here too, but I've been reading a ton, so I'll share my observations... Just about every hammock can handle rain and bugs if equipped properly. Hammocks without bug nets, like eno and trek light, can have bug nets added to them easily.

ENO sells the guardian bugnet for 55 bucks, Warbonnetguy sells a travel net for 65, and I'm sure some other companies sell similar things as well. These could be used on any gathered end hammock without a bug net.

Alternatively, there are piles and piles of hammocks with bug nets built in, that aren't as expensive as the clarks... A great choice would be the Warbonnet Blackbird (tons of us have them and love them!) or, if you REALLY want to save some cash, it's hard to get much less expensive than the byer mosquito hammock (40 bucks) or travel hammock skeeter beeter (60 bucks).

For rain, your solution is gonna be the same no matter which hammock you get - put a tarp over the thing. Doesn't matter what brand hammock you use, tarps are interchangeable... get the one that suits your needs best, or better yet, get a bunch of them, for different needs! Outdoor Equipment Suppliers is popular on this forum, especially for the maccat tarp, but I've got tarps from speer and warbonnetguy that I like, too. Jacks R Better tarps look to be top notch too. You pretty much can't go wrong buying a tarp from anyone EXCEPT ENO, whose tarps seem to be pretty hated around here.

cavediver2
03-01-2009, 18:06
Took me a while to figure it out because he doesn't mention it anywhere in the post, but he posted in the TrekLight forum. I can only assume the question is directed about a bug net and tarp solution for a TL. They (TrekLight) don't sell anything like that right now.

I see why you like the folks at Clark cavediver2. I've been having email conversations with them for a couple of weeks now. They seem very helpful and don't seem to be bothered by my silly questions. :rolleyes:

oh crap i didn't notice that my bad well they do make a real light one with bug net i don't know how light he's looking for

animalcontrol
03-01-2009, 18:09
Hiya Bristolview
I have a Claytor Jungle hammock for sale link here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7387)
That would fix your bug problem...find yourself a tarp and you will be all set. :shades:

bristolview
03-02-2009, 07:36
Thanks for all the tips guys. Mustardman, thanks too, I didn't realize that those models were do cost effective, wow.

TrekLightGear
03-02-2009, 12:37
BristolView -

As many have pointed out already, there are many bug net and tarp products that fit perfectly and work great with the Trek Light hammocks. I have been encouraging customers for years to either go the DIY route or use a third party accessory to complement the Trek Light Hammock.

The wait is almost over though and if you're interested in buying a product that carries the great Trek Light name, I expect our TLG mosquito net and tarp accessory to be available sometime within the next 2 months. I will definitely be posting on here and letting everyone know when it's available.