PDA

View Full Version : WI/MI- Trap Hills or Sylvania Area Info

joanwest
06-04-2013, 06:57
I will be traveling to Land O Lakes Wisconsin at the end of June, and am looking for any recommendations for hikes in Michigan's UP region or Northern Wisconsin around Ottawa National Forest, Sylvania, Sturgeon Gorge Wilderness, or McCormick Wilderness areas. Anyone got favorite trails in this area, especially ones that have waterfalls or wildflowers?

Would also like to do a short backpacking trip in the Trap Hills on the North Country Trail, and looking for any advice on what section of the trail to do. I picked up the NCT association maps, but there are so many different options. Any awesome places to hang that I shouldn't miss?

Also, are the mosquitoes really as bad as everyone says?

CamoEvo
06-04-2013, 23:03
I'm north of the area you are looking at, haven't hiked there yet but am getting interested in the NCT. I've been exploring the Porcupine Mtns. - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73944

Skeeters can get awful, don't forget bears, wolves, and even Mountain Lions make an occasional appearance. I might be able to give a hand.

joanwest
06-07-2013, 07:18
Awesome photos from your Porcupine Mountains trip- and sweet views. Might have to go check that area out. Thanks!

It sounds like this area has some great wildlife. Probably should get myself a headnet for those skeeters.

realslacker
06-10-2013, 20:20
Did a few days on the NCT near Drummond, WI a few weeks ago. Mosquitoes weren't bad yet, but there were tons of ticks! And coyotes, they must have been all over you could hear them yipping and calling all night... probably three packs. Also saw some wolf tracks, but just a few.

supertreker
06-12-2013, 23:16
I would recommend going to my favorite wilderness area - McCormick Wilderness. Enter from the south trailhead, 3 mile hike to the lakes. You can explore the area for the natural spring, which has awesome water. Or trek north to the (mediocre) waterfall.
You can also check out website: wilderness.net for other great places.
Sturgeon River Gorge is pretty cool too, but its a small area. The up side is that the free established camp sites are right on the river. The sweet sound of running water is very soothing.
Another great place is Rock River Canyon Wilderness. Follow the trail in about 1.5 miles to the waterfall. (Pics are on the wilderness.net website that I took.) This is a great place for solitude.
Have a great time!

joanwest
06-13-2013, 06:26
I would recommend going to my favorite wilderness area - McCormick Wilderness. Enter from the south trailhead, 3 mile hike to the lakes. You can explore the area for the natural spring, which has awesome water. Or trek north to the (mediocre) waterfall.
You can also check out website: wilderness.net for other great places.
Sturgeon River Gorge is pretty cool too, but its a small area. The up side is that the free established camp sites are right on the river. The sweet sound of running water is very soothing.
Another great place is Rock River Canyon Wilderness. Follow the trail in about 1.5 miles to the waterfall. (Pics are on the wilderness.net website that I took.) This is a great place for solitude.
Have a great time!

Thanks so much, supertreker, for the recommendations! Will definitely check out the McCormick and Sturgeon Gorge Wilderness areas, and do those hikes.

Hadn't seen that website, so will check it out.

Rock River Canyon Wilderness sounds like a place I'd really enjoy, and those are some beautiful photos. Looks a bit far from where we'll be, so might have to plan a return trip. :)

Again, all this info is much appreciated!

Stone
06-13-2013, 19:41
You can also get into the McCormick from the North much shorter trip to the falls. It is on Red Road off of the 510. The real draw is the solitude, just you and skeeters. But as said before bears and cougars as well.
We did a hang in the McCormick this past winter, but I was there in the summer while in college, forever ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umUOB11hdhA

Have a great time!

jrs62284
06-13-2013, 20:38
I would look into the ice age trail for some nice hikes. If you like day hikes or campground camping Copper Falls is great. I will be doing a hike on the NCT in 2 weeks. I will be starting somewhere north of Ironwood and heading into the porkies. Rumor has it, the trails going to lake of the clouds are amazing. Hopefully I'll have a trip report, otherwise PM me on the 25th and I can tell you what I learned.

JackPine
06-13-2013, 22:04
Yes the mosquitoes are really that bad. A headnet may not be enough. Any exposed skin will, or even covered by a single layer, will be attacked.

But remember, mosquitoes roost at 60F. So any nighttime temps below that will be heavenly.

joanwest
06-14-2013, 06:38
You can also get into the McCormick from the North much shorter trip to the falls. It is on Red Road off of the 510. The real draw is the solitude, just you and skeeters. But as said before bears and cougars as well.
We did a hang in the McCormick this past winter, but I was there in the summer while in college, forever ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umUOB11hdhA

Have a great time!

Really enjoyed that video of your trip! What an adventure, and so glad you all got out of there when you had the chance.

Great- I see that northern trailhead on my map, so will check that out. Were the trails marked?

joanwest
06-14-2013, 06:40
I would look into the ice age trail for some nice hikes. If you like day hikes or campground camping Copper Falls is great. I will be doing a hike on the NCT in 2 weeks. I will be starting somewhere north of Ironwood and heading into the porkies. Rumor has it, the trails going to lake of the clouds are amazing. Hopefully I'll have a trip report, otherwise PM me on the 25th and I can tell you what I learned.

Thanks, I'll look into the Ice Age Trail and Copper Falls as well. And will look for your trip reports. Have fun!

Spartan
06-19-2013, 08:41
Did a few days on the NCT near Drummond, WI a few weeks ago. Mosquitoes weren't bad yet, but there were tons of ticks! And coyotes, they must have been all over you could hear them yipping and calling all night... probably three packs. Also saw some wolf tracks, but just a few.
+1 on ticks
This is probably the worst year for ticks I can remember. We were just up in the Crivitz area and we were having to flick them off gear and people all weekend. I sprayed clothes down with permethrin and still found one...well...in a private area :eek:

joanwest
06-19-2013, 16:00
+1 on ticks
This is probably the worst year for ticks I can remember. We were just up in the Crivitz area and we were having to flick them off gear and people all weekend. I sprayed clothes down with permethrin and still found one...well...in a private area :eek:

Ugh! Had a few ticks this year, but not that bad. OK off to get permethrin...

Stone
06-29-2013, 16:06
Really enjoyed that video of your trip! What an adventure, and so glad you all got out of there when you had the chance.

Great- I see that northern trailhead on my map, so will check that out. Were the trails marked?

None of the trails are marked, and some areas are trail less, minor bushwhacking though nothing horrible.

joanwest
07-05-2013, 19:30
Thanks for all the great info and warnings about ticks and mosquitoes. WOW you all weren't kidding- they were horrific. But that didn't stop us from having a fantastic trip. We took the suggestion to cover up and wore long pants and long shirts with headnets and also had bug shirts (http://www.bugshirt.com/products/elite/), which worked really well.

Ended up doing dayhikes in Sylvania and the Trap Hills so I could spend more time with my parents. Next year I'm going back with more time and bringing my hammock for sure. There were so many incredible places to go and just not enough time.

Here (http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-trap-hills-of-michigan.html) and here (http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-sylvania-wilderness-of-michigan.html) are the trip reports on my blog.