PDA

View Full Version : First Sipsey Hangout rousing success!

BillyBob58
03-01-2009, 16:57
It was quite a nice adventure with a bunch of great guys (8 guys overnight plus one day hiker- no gals came along this time). There was no car camping, this involved quite a bit of bushwhacking and fairly tricky stream crossings. More than one of us fell more than once. We had to change plans on Saturday,as the creeks were so swollen from the torrential rains that came through on Friday and were too much trouble to cross. Angrysparrow and Hetori (sp?) were there for that, as well as Mrprez, who tried to find themj but couldn't, so he spent the night by his lonesome beside Borden Creek.

Any way, great trip: roaring water falls, a vigorous hike, a hammock hang at the foot of two small waterfalls, and of course the grand finale: SNOW! In AL! Who would a thunk it?

That's it for now, I'm exhausted and have to get ready for church tonight. It's not over yet anyway, as AS and Hetori and maybe someone else are still out there until tomorrow! Many better pics to come- my camera battery couldn't handle the cold.

slowhike
03-01-2009, 17:09
WOW!!! Thanks Bill! I've been wondering about you guys, especial y w/ the storm reports from down that way.
Looking forward to hearing more.

southmark
03-01-2009, 17:43
BillyBob, boy do I hate myself for being such a wimp. Sure wish that I had gone now. What was it that Mark Twain said? "The only things that we regret in life are the things we didn't do."

Glad the trip was a success. See ya next time.

Mule
03-01-2009, 19:15
What a gorgeous place!!!! Great pictures. Glad you all had a good time. Where is this place?

tight-wad
03-01-2009, 19:23
The "day hiker" had fun, and really enjoyed putting faces with names...

Long story short.. made it to the airport at 5:30 am, left the airport at 1:50 pm, no de-icing chemicals, killing 3 hours in the Denver airport... bummer

Doing Sipsey again in 2 weeks?

Peter_pan
03-01-2009, 19:30
Looks like ya'll had a great time.... nice photos.

Pan

Mrprez
03-01-2009, 20:36
I just got back a little while ago, 5 hr trip for me. I wasn't gonna go due to the rain, but when I saw the snow forecast, I knew I had to go! It was a frog strangling rain on Friday nite, I cooked up a dozen or so with breakfast along with my VENISON BACON (not, lol). I'll post my pics later along with a video I shot of us walking out.

It was a great time and I can't wait to go back. 13 years in AL and I had no idea a place like this existed in AL!

skippy
03-01-2009, 21:41
What a GREAT HANG!!! It just doesn't get much better than this in Bama.Sipsey is called the land of 1000 waterfalls and it lived up to its billing this weekend. For some, their first trip to Sipsey will be one they will always remember.
Everyone met up at Borden Trailhead around 9am on Saturday and we headed down Borden Creek to where Clifty and Braziel join Borden. After a mile or so in, we had to cross a unnamed feeder creek but can't cross because the water is to high. We drop our packs and do a side trip up the canyon to a unnamed waterfall that Ihangnbankhead nows about. After discussing our options we decide to walk back down Borden to Fall Creek Falls and find a place to hang.
Waterfalls,Hemlock trees,box canyons,and spectacular scenery was enjoyed by all on the hike to Fall Creek Falls where we planned to camp. After eating a late lunch and setting up camp, Ihangnbankhead lead us on a hike to his wife's great great great grandmothers old homeplace and gravesite. I have walked by this area many many times and never knew this even existed.
We were very fortunate indeed to have him along as he gave us a firsthand account on the history of the area. After supper and believe it or not, a great fire considering that 4 to 6 inches of rain had just fell everyone was ready for some well deserved rest.
Sunday morning we woke up in a winter wonderland. Talk about a perfect way to end a hangout:) It never snows in Alabama. I hope the pictures that everyone took really turn out good. We walked back down to the falls and just enjoyed the natural beauty of the area not wanting to leave.
After breakfeast and breaking camp we headed back to the trailhead taking our time enjoying the beauty of the snow. Our last stop was to a old moonshine still that Ihangnbankhead knew about on the way out.
A good time was had by all!!!!!

JayS
03-01-2009, 22:41
Great trip report for a great trip! It must have been magical waking up to the snow. :D That is a beautiful area and reminded me of areas near where I grew up in Georgia. It looked nice to have the overhang to gather under out of the snow. And it's always nice to put faces with names and online personalities.

I just talked to my brother in Georgia about the snow. I am in NJ, it just started snowing lightly but it's coming.. a foot or more. I'd be hanging in the backyard tonight but we live on a county road and the plows are LOUD and they're already out salting. When they put the blades down, it will be just tolerable inside but intolerable outside.

BillyBob58
03-01-2009, 23:06
The "day hiker" had fun, and really enjoyed putting faces with names...

Long story short.. made it to the airport at 5:30 am, left the airport at 1:50 pm, no de-icing chemicals, killing 3 hours in the Denver airport... bummer

Doing Sipsey again in 2 weeks?

Hey there, Tight-wad, it was good to meet you, and good to hear you safely made your flight, bad to hear about the delays from no de-icing. I'm sure that sucked pretty bad. You would have enjoyed the snow better with us, I think! Those were nice little water falls we hiked to Sat AM, but you would not believe Fall Creek Falls, swollen with all of that rain fall. But it was a real challenge to stay on our feet, due to the mud on the steeper parts of the trail, especially at multiple creek crossings. Some of us ended up quite muddy!

BillyBob58
03-01-2009, 23:11
Looks like ya'll had a great time.... nice photos.

Pan

Naturally, after a a hard days hike, I slept like a baby once I got into the BMBH/MWUQ ( there were at least 2 MWUQs at this camp). I'll be lucky if I sleep that good in my bed tonight.

Shug
03-01-2009, 23:23
That is so wonderful to read the happenings on these State Region hang outs. Warms me Irish heart.
Glad ya'll got some snow braggin' rights. That is a splendid thing to wake up too snug in your cocoon......
Awesome!
Shug

MacEntyre
03-02-2009, 06:41
Wow! I had no idea such a place existed! Where you camped looks like a scene created inside a museum, where they erect the life size Mammoth models.

Love that round waterfall, and the cowboy hotel under the ledge.

BillyBob58
03-02-2009, 15:46
Yes, it was sweet, extra sweet for Alabama! The hammock world was well represented.
There were WBs and Peapods, HHs with zipper mods and SSs, a HH modified with an extra zipped bottom added, a couple of Clarks, and a JRB BMBH/MWUQ. I think we were all a bunch of happy campers, warmly snoozing through the cold, snowy night. Temps are as yet unknown, as my thermometer failed to record the low, do to being covered by insulating snowfall, I think. I believe forecast lows were mid-hi 20s.

We got 8 hangers in a space the was, for the most part, un-usable. Maybe one or two ground dwellers could have camped there, and most of the ground in our little alcove was pretty saturated AND SLOPING. It was well sheltered from the wind. The next morning, after the snow had stopped, the wind would blow above the cliffs, knocking snow off of the trees and causing it snow to snow on us again! We never felt the wind, nor the snow for the most part since all 8 of us were under the rock. It was unique.

skippy
03-02-2009, 17:55
Wow! I had no idea such a place existed! Where you camped looks like a scene created inside a museum, where they erect the life size Mammoth models.

Love that round waterfall, and the cowboy hotel under the ledge.

Everything in Sipsey seems huge, Wish that you could see the White Oak just as you enter the canyon where we camped. It takes 4 people to reach completely around it. I have heard that the tree is over 300 years old. The tallest tree in Alabama ( yellow popular) is just down from where we stayed but unfortunately didn't get to see it is about 160 ft tall.

Mrprez
03-02-2009, 18:09
I shot a video of us walking out on Sunday in the snow. I uploaded it to Google hoping the quality would be better. You might download it and watch it that way.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8297457627290216030

Sorry for all the sniffles...what are ya gonna do? :)

skippy
03-02-2009, 18:34
Wow, The video turned out great!!

Shug
03-02-2009, 18:36
Cold Men Walking!!! Wow... looks like home here.
Great to see and did I hear a Whoooo Buddy? Too cool.
I love videos!
Shug

Mrprez
03-02-2009, 18:40
Cold Men Walking!!! Wow... looks like home here.
Great to see and did I hear a Whoooo Buddy? Too cool.
I love videos!
Shug

Yep, we were thinking about you! WWSD?:laugh:

Mrprez
03-02-2009, 18:41
Wow, The video turned out great!!

It's right out of the camera, but the quality is nothing near what the original looks like. I'll see if I can make it better. You really lose quite a bit of the sharpness when you upload it to Google youtube.

bigbamaguy
03-02-2009, 20:28
Sorry, I posted last night on the Trip Thread...............

I had a great time on this outing......and yes I was the one who ended up taking most of the trail home with them:lol:!!!!!!! I had a wonderful time and will look forward to doing this again as soon as possible. For a first timer in the Sipsey I will say that it is beautiful and awe inspiring with the kinds of terrain and scenery changes in such a short area. Also, on a more personal note, the ankle is letting me know that I am not a spring chicken anymore:eek: Here of some of the photos that I got...........well atleast I thought I would appears I am having technical issues:confused:. Look at the AL Hangout thread and you can see the ones I posted last night..........Sorry about that folks!!!!!!!

Shug
03-02-2009, 21:17
It's right out of the camera, but the quality is nothing near what the original looks like. I'll see if I can make it better. You really lose quite a bit of the sharpness when you upload it to Google youtube.
Try sizing it at 480x360. That always works good for me.

slowhike
03-02-2009, 21:20
Wow, great weekend you guys hit!!! Beautiful!
I'm glad it went well.

BillyBob58
03-02-2009, 22:16
I shot a video of us walking out on Sunday in the snow. I uploaded it to Google hoping the quality would be better. You might download it and watch it that way.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8297457627290216030

Sorry for all the sniffles...what are ya gonna do? :)

That's great, John! I never saw myself hike before, much less in a deep south snow! :D
Bill

BillyBob58
03-02-2009, 22:20
Sorry, I posted last night on the Trip Thread...............

I had a great time on this outing......and yes I was the one who ended up taking most of the trail home with them:lol:!!!!!!! I had a wonderful time and will look forward to doing this again as soon as possible. For a first timer in the Sipsey I will say that it is beautiful and awe inspiring with the kinds of terrain and scenery changes in such a short area. Also, on a more personal note, the ankle is letting me know that I am not a spring chicken anymore:eek: Here of some of the photos that I got...........well atleast I thought I would appears I am having technical issues:confused:. Look at the AL Hangout thread and you can see the ones I posted last night..........Sorry about that folks!!!!!!!

I hope your ankle repairs itself soon! I had a lot of sore spots and muscles myself!

angrysparrow
03-02-2009, 22:27
Some hangout pics -

angrysparrow
And a few more:

angrysparrow
And again:

headchange4u
03-02-2009, 22:33
Isn't a hammock setup in the snow just a work or art? I love the look of a tarp covered in snow.

angrysparrow
03-02-2009, 22:36
Thanks to everyone that attended for a great hangout! I don't have anything meaningful to add to the above posted trip descriptions, but I will say -

Those of you that didn't get to be there for the rain storms of Thursday and Friday really missed a beautiful display of nature's cleansing power. The forest felt so clean following the heavy rains. Truly wonderful to be out there for it.

After *most* of the attendees left- Ihanginbankhead, Chemok, Hetairoi, and myself all continued our hike for another day. Ihanginbankhead (Thomas) graciously guided us using his vast knowledge of the area, on a hike to the Sougahoagdee Waterfall along Brushy Creek. This was truly a remarkable area, and both the canyon and each of the falls there is as beautiful as anywhere I've ever seen in the area. Sadly, my camera battery was dead by then (day #5). Hopefully Chemok will be able to post pics when they finish their hike.

I really enjoyed that this hangout was *not* a car-camping event. Getting out there and hiking with everyone, and talking along the trail, was a fantastic experience.

BillyBob58
03-02-2009, 23:40
Angrysparrow, I can't get any of your pics to show on my screen? Any one else having this problem?

AS, thanks to all of you guys who put this trip together!

Mrprez
03-02-2009, 23:44
Angrysparrow, I can't get any of your pics to show on my screen? Any one else having this problem?

I'm having the same problem, they start to load and then never finish. If I cancel and try again 2 or 3 times it will finally show up...

angrysparrow
03-03-2009, 00:05
Angrysparrow, I can't get any of your pics to show on my screen?

I'm having the same problem, they start to load and then never finish.

Try again now?

It was our pleasure! Big props to skippy for initiating the whole ordeal.

Mrprez
03-03-2009, 00:06
Try again now?

Works much better now...thanks!

Mrprez
03-03-2009, 00:26
Heres mine:

Mrprez
03-03-2009, 00:38
Here's some more:

DougTheElder
03-03-2009, 08:48
Looks like my decision to forego the trip was a bad decision. Glad those of you that didn't wimpout had a good time. I can tell from the enthusiasm in your posts that this was not an outing of the ordinary kind.

angrysparrow
03-03-2009, 09:50
We're sorry you couldn't make the first hang too, Doug, but given the long drive and the forecasted conditions I don't think anyone can fault your decision.

As far as I know, there is still a 're-do' hang planned for the weekend of March 14/15. There are several of us already tentatively set for that.

NCPatrick
03-03-2009, 10:13
Gah! Can't make that one either. :(

Looks like ya'll had a fantastic trip. Sipsey looks like a wonderful place.

I'll have to find a time closer to summer to make the trip down. Those waterfalls look like they'd be a lot of fun when it's 100ºF down there.

Hetairoi
03-03-2009, 10:52
I may be physically back at work, but in my mind I'm still watching it snow down in that canyon ..... ahhhhhhh

Blue Caboose
03-03-2009, 15:09
WOW, Looks like a great weekend. I liked hearing the snow crunch as you walked on the video. Thanks for sharing all of the pictures and first hand reports.

MacEntyre
03-03-2009, 17:39
Geez! Borden Trailhead is 560 miles from Jamestown, 100 miles closer than Houston!

I have to revisit the calendar for March 14...

Bankheadboy
03-05-2009, 10:29
I had a Great time camping with you guys! The next trip I hope to get to know each person better and check out your set up! I still don't know how to put pictures on this message board? Sparrow maybe can help me out, I hope! so check back later! I got the AL hangout group picture! I had a great time and hope to see all of you hammock hangers in a few weeks, so make plans and let me know what you want to see, Bluff shelters like Kinlock shelter, or the biggest two bluffs shelters in Bankhead, one with small waterfall and old horse stables. We can't stay with in a mile of Kinlock shelter or falls but I can show them to anyone who wants to see them. The Kinlock shelter is minutes off the road. The big shelters is about a mile or so, some old road bed and then bush whack or we can go see waterfalls? Collier Creek falls and Shangri-La falls some bushwhacking to get here! or Indian Tomb Hollow, just anywhere you want? Thomas

Bankheadboy
03-05-2009, 10:43
Thanks, Sam! I hope this worked!

Bankheadboy
03-05-2009, 11:10
This is pictures of Chemok (Dave) and I looking for a lead-mine that my wife's dad told me about after our trip from both falls. We found two sinks and one small cave. I don't know if we found lead or not. We also found four old whiskey stills. Dave even got to check out hogs running down in front of him, I only got to here them. It sounded like a stampede. I going to post pictures of our trip to Sourahoagdee falls that Angrysparrow, Hetairoi, Chemok and I went to after we left Fall Creek falls when I get them from Chemok, so come back later and look! Also pictures of Kinlock and the biggest shelters, Collier creek falls.Thomas

Bankheadboy
03-05-2009, 11:44
The first pictures or of the biggest bluff shelters and then Collier creek falls with the rock pillars and the last three is of Kinlock shelter. If you can think of any other place and if I got picutres I will show you! Mr.Prez cool name after we got it! JK Later,Thomas

Shug
03-05-2009, 12:07
Thanks, Sam! I hope this worked!

I wanna know who is who in the first picture ... left to right.
Could ya'?

southmark
03-05-2009, 12:29
Since I chickened out on this trip I don't feel as I should have a voice in the next one but I sure would like to go to the large bluff shelters (been to Kinlock shelter) and for that matter Collier Creek falls and Shangri-La or anywhere. Maybe you should start a Bankhead guide service.

SouthMark

angrysparrow
03-05-2009, 12:32
I wanna know who is who in the first picture ... left to right.
Could ya'?

L to R -
angrysparrow, bigbamaguy, skippy, billybob58, hetairoi, chemok, mrprez, ihangnbankhead

or

Sam, John, Brett, Bill, John, Dave, John, Thomas

NCPatrick
03-05-2009, 12:51
MORE great pics. Loving it. Thanks.

Grillmastertoo
03-08-2009, 09:45
Is there any discussion on the 2nd hang for the AL group?

angrysparrow
03-08-2009, 09:55
Is there any discussion on the 2nd hang for the AL group?

Only via PM so far. I'll start a new thread shortly.

mbiraman
11-24-2009, 10:17
This was a fabulous post. Loved the look of this area and all the pics. Thanks you guys. I'd love to visit there some time, if it wasn't sooo far away.

KerMegan
11-27-2009, 10:00
This was a fabulous post. Loved the look of this area and all the pics. Thanks you guys. I'd love to visit there some time, if it wasn't sooo far away.

I'm sure the 'bama guys say the same about BC!

skippy
11-28-2009, 08:48

We hope you can make it to one of our hangs soon. We always have a good time :D

skippy
11-28-2009, 08:51
I'm sure the 'bama guys say the same about BC!

Lots of places I hope to see in Canada one day.

mbiraman
12-05-2009, 16:33
Lots of places I hope to see in Canada one day.

Well i'm just getting my gear together but once that happens and it warms up, ( like next yr ,) i'll try and do a couple of trip reports from my area, an area BTW that i've barely scratched the surface of even tho i been here 30 yrs. Of course gettin the story and pics loaded up here will be the big task/