PDA

View Full Version : Deep Creek Lake MD

loupa5
06-05-2013, 21:03
Did anyone ever hang at Deep Creek Lake before? Were you able to pick a spot at random or were there some logistics you had to go through? Looking for advice. Planning to kayak/fish and just set up wherever I end up that day.

Uphill
06-18-2013, 17:15
I'm looking to hang in Deep Creek Lake area this coming Friday night. From the MD DNR website, I'm finding nothing about hammock camping in any of the parks. I'm sending an email to the MD Park Service to find out. If I can't hang in the park, then I'll have to be creative.

lazy river road
06-18-2013, 18:45
Ive hung on deep creek lake but that was outside my wife's jncle s cabin on his land. As for the state park I am not sure.

Uphill
06-19-2013, 20:01
The MD Park service returned my email with great news! Here's the answer to my question of if hammock camping is permitted.

"if you are going to use the hammock to sleep in and simply throw the tarp over yourself to protect you at night, they don’t see any problem with that. If however, the tarp is going to be used to construct a tent or lean-to to protect you, that would become your camping unit and would need to be kept on the campsite."

I'm looking forward to this first hammock camping experience.

BigBearCamper
07-11-2013, 16:42
I know you posted this in June so, I'm assuming that you've already had your trip. But, you can hang at Swallow Falls State Park, just down the road from Deep Creek. I was there over Memorial Day with no problems at all. Just for future reference.

billygoatA
07-17-2013, 09:31
Yes swallow falls is a great place to hang. At deep creek lake, the only place you can hang, legally, is at a state park. Most of the land around the lake is owned privately.

Padovini
07-17-2013, 19:40
Good to know about Swallow Falls. Thanks for the info.

Brian P.

used2fly
07-17-2013, 21:00
2nd on swallow falls.Camped with the boyscouts and they told me I could go anywhere in the trees as long as I did not make a camp site(fire ring etc)which I had no intention of doing. No shortage of trees. Swallow has one of the oldest Hemlock forests in the state with some 400 yr old behemoths. If the Yough river water level drops you can wade and cool off in it.It was class 5 rapids a few weeks ago.