PDA

View Full Version : A good sling to put your butt in

Rabid Deer
06-07-2013, 12:06
I haven't been too active on the forums lately because I've been too busy hanging in my BIAS WWM 1.1! I'm ~150 pounds, 5'6" and the Weight Weenie Micro is the most comfortable hammock I've laid in. The 1.1 does not stretch too much. I also have the Nano Buginator and it is very easy to use. You should clear out any underbrush under your hammock when you use the net though because otherwise it may snag. I use Whoopie Hooks and they are very convenient, compact, and secure. I really like my whole new system. I've previously used a Warbonnet Traveler 1.7 and a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double and my WWM 1.1 is more comfortable for me. I should note that I bought the fixed ridgeline and that is very nice too.

Thanks for the great products and the great service, guys!

spaceweaseal
06-07-2013, 13:50
The Micro and Nano Buginator is the setup that's always in my pack and I don't leave home without them..

fly fisher
06-09-2013, 08:32
I sent Brian an email, but never got a reply. So, I'm hoping some members might help me by answering some questions.

I'm intrigued that you find the Weight Weenie Micro to be more comfortable than the popular Warbonnet Traveler & Blackbird.

I assumed that a 'micro' hammock would compromise comfort due to smaller sizing. However, upon checking the specs (52" wide x 11' (132") long), it seems the WWM is not really a 'small' hammock. Maybe it's micro moniker refers to it's light weight of 6 oz. (130 grams) for 52" wide?

I'd love to cut down on the weight of my hammock set-up. So, I have a couple of questions...

1) Do the Weight Weenie & Weight Weenie Micro use the same material?

2) Do you find the WWM at standard 52" width to be as comfortable as other popular hammocks, such as standard sized Hennessy's, ENO's, Grand Trunks, etc.?

3) Which width do you recommend?

4) Do you recommend the Knotty Mod ($25)?

5) Does the Buginator in Nano material significantly cut down on airflow through the material? Or, would you recommend the Standard material for someone who sometimes feels like he can't breathe in a bug-netted hammock?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
fly fisher

spaceweaseal
06-09-2013, 09:17
The materials are differnt between the WW and Micro. The material for the WW has a little bit of a softer feel to it and higher weight limit but both are very comfort.

Any net will cut down on your airfrow but I really can't tell the difference between the airflow thru the Buginator and Nano Buginator.

My go-to set up is a 60" wide Mico with the Knotty mod and the Nano Buginator.
The Knotty m od is well worth the extra coin.

blaktee
06-09-2013, 10:21
+1 for the knotty mod. I have the hiker light and really really like it

Traverson
06-09-2013, 10:28
The materials are differnt between the WW and Micro. The material for the WW has a little bit of a softer feel to it and higher weight limit but both are very comfort.

Any net will cut down on your airfrow but I really can't tell the difference between the airflow thru the Buginator and Nano Buginator.

My go-to set up is a 60" wide Mico with the Knotty mod and the Nano Buginator.
The Knotty m od is well worth the extra coin.

Single layer?

spaceweaseal
06-09-2013, 10:35
Double or single is just a personal choice.
I am 175-180# and the single layer micro works great for me...

Brute1100
06-09-2013, 15:53
I am the same way... I hardly leave the house without my WWM and buginator... It stays in one of my saddle bags with straps and toggles in the stuff sack with it... Never know when you might have time to kill...

I haven't gone through summer yet with this net and hammock... But like stated above, anything is going to block the wind some... Just get a fan to hang on your ridgeline and be a happy camper... I use an Off brand insect repellant fan thing... It works... There are other options but I just haven't looked for them. I'm thinking a computer fan and a set of 9v batteries may be something to look at though...

SilvrSurfr
06-09-2013, 16:16
I have a WWM and a WWM double layer - I like 60" wide. They are both the most comfortable hammocks I've tried, including the WBBB. However, comfort appears to be a very personal thing with hammocks, so your results may be different. I haven't felt the need for the knotty mod - it addresses a problem I don't seem to have.

I also have the Buginator and Nano Buginator - haven't noticed any difference in airflow. The only time I have ever felt like I couldn't breathe in a bugnet was in 95 degree heat with 80% humidity - won't be doing that again. I rarely camp in summer because of that.

spaceweaseal
06-09-2013, 18:24
I am the same way... I hardly leave the house without my WWM and buginator... It stays in one of my saddle bags with straps and toggles in the stuff sack with it... Never know when you might have time to kill...

I haven't gone through summer yet with this net and hammock... But like stated above, anything is going to block the wind some... Just get a fan to hang on your ridgeline and be a happy camper... I use an Off brand insect repellant fan thing... It works... There are other options but I just haven't looked for them. I'm thinking a computer fan and a set of 9v batteries may be something to look at though...

I use a couple of these on my RL to cool off. They push a lot of air and they are around $2-3 at WallyWorld.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/spaceweaseal/2b4feff34637198b5226c14379fd3fd6.jpg

Gravity
06-09-2013, 18:40
The WWM seems like a great hammock. Too bad it is only offered in camo.

Brute1100
06-09-2013, 19:57
The WWM seems like a great hammock. Too bad it is only offered in camo.

When I'm laying on my back asleep... I don't know what color my hammock is...

tncamper
06-10-2013, 18:46
I sent Brian an email, but never got a reply. So, I'm hoping some members might help me by answering some questions.

I'm intrigued that you find the Weight Weenie Micro to be more comfortable than the popular Warbonnet Traveler & Blackbird.

I assumed that a 'micro' hammock would compromise comfort due to smaller sizing. However, upon checking the specs (52" wide x 11' (132") long), it seems the WWM is not really a 'small' hammock. Maybe it's micro moniker refers to it's light weight of 6 oz. (130 grams) for 52" wide?

I'd love to cut down on the weight of my hammock set-up. So, I have a couple of questions...

1) Do the Weight Weenie & Weight Weenie Micro use the same material?

2) Do you find the WWM at standard 52" width to be as comfortable as other popular hammocks, such as standard sized Hennessy's, ENO's, Grand Trunks, etc.?

3) Which width do you recommend?

4) Do you recommend the Knotty Mod ($25)?

5) Does the Buginator in Nano material significantly cut down on airflow through the material? Or, would you recommend the Standard material for someone who sometimes feels like he can't breathe in a bug-netted hammock?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
fly fisher

Sorry for the late response, I just realized I wasn't logged in for the first time in 6 months. I think there has been some issues with Brian's email, but it should be working now.

It looks like your questions have been answered, but if you still have some feel free to shoot me what you want to know.

FWIW, since I don't backpack much, (mostly kayak camp) I'm starting to get into it more. I usually use the "heavier" Camper model in a double layer with a Knotty mod. I also use a standard Buginator. That being said, I'm going to make myself a WWM (probably single layer) and a Nano Buginator for a trip in a few weeks to Roan Mt. with some meetup folks.

mbcruzin
06-10-2013, 20:54
Bias camper xl ( with knotty mods ) is on of the most comfy hammocks out there IMO. I'm looking to get a regular camper and hopefully after I can drop some tonage maybe a WW.

fly fisher
06-10-2013, 21:12
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my questions. This discussion has really helped me decide how I'm going to have by BIAS hammock spec'd out.

Please continue the discussion. I'll keep checking back periodically.

fly fisher

snapper
06-13-2013, 09:21
My first hammock was the WWM and while I liked it, my feet always hung off the hammock no matter what I did. In speaking with Brian it seems that my Knotty Mods may not have been in the right place for me based on my height; I'm only 5'8". Long story short, I'm in the process of swopping out my Micro for a standard Weight Weenie based on Brian's recommendations. The difference in weight is only an ounce so I'm not worried about the extra in my pack (lol). Bottom line, Brian is wonderful to work with and I really appreciate all he's done for me to make my hammock camping experience a great one.

That's all for now. Take care, good luck in selecting your hammock and until next time...Be well.

snapper

IDJAY
06-13-2013, 21:20
I'd love to hear your experience with the WW after your tial with the WWM. Can you describe how the knotty mod was in the wrong place? Too close to the middle or too close to the suspension? -J

bowyorang
06-13-2013, 22:29
I recently received my camper DL and have slept in it a few times now. BIAS makes some great quality gear.
I did however want to make one observation known to you since your height is the same as mine. The knotty mod will do you no good. The pockets that they form are too far down the sides for someone of our size. Way too close to the suspension. This is only my observation though and would suggest trying to find others that are vertically challenged that have lain in a modded hammock. They just don't do anything for me.

jbrianb
06-18-2013, 22:01
I did have some email issues; more importantly, I sort of hit a wall lately. Family is moving, work is busy and the hammock thing is crazy. I am also getting tons of emails daily and trying as best I can to keep up, but I occasionally fail.

Quick answer to the OP, others asking the same question: See our hammock guide and comparison chart. It's not comprehensive, but it's a good place to start:

http://www.buttinasling.com/buyersguide.html