PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a place to camp between Kansas City and Salt Lake City please!!

tdkoszegi
06-07-2013, 14:00
Hi all,

My family and I will be driving from Kansas City to Salt Lake City in a couple weeks, and I am looking for a relatively cheap place to camp somewhere in between. Not picky on location, but would like to keep it generally somewhere between the two cities. I'm not very familiar with the route and could use some help finding a good spot.

This would likely be somewhere in Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, or Wyoming. I'm pretty open-minded, but if I had to say, my priorities would be any combination of safe, close to the route, inexpensive and scenic (in that order). It's only for one night, so it doesn't have to be perfect. I posted this to the general planning section, but figure it is best suited here.

Any suggestions, tips or comments would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!!!

swoody126
06-07-2013, 14:34
this is a NO-BRAINER

up POUDRE CANYON, west of Ft Collins, Co, on state hwy 14

several CG's on that route & you can connect back up to the blvd, in WY, when you leave camp

beautiful canyon

have a safe trip

sw

tdkoszegi
06-08-2013, 19:30
Nice!! Thank you. I'll check it out. Can you or anyone else recommend a particular campground, location or site in this area?

swoody126
06-08-2013, 19:40
Nice!! Thank you. I'll check it out. Can you or anyone else recommend a particular campground, location or site in this area?

there are several CG's up thru the canyon

sliver
06-16-2013, 23:40
You might want to check out Red Feather Lake area. It's on Hwy 287 about 17 miles North of Ft Collins and a little over 20 miles west of Hwy 287 on Red Feather Lakes Rd. There are several campgrounds up there. It will cost you about $20/night. Some of them are reservation only and some are reservation and first-come-first-serve.

sliver
06-16-2013, 23:44
Here's a tip: Heed the bear warnings. Either put ALL of your food in your trunk or on the floor of your car with something covering it. Yes, bears know what an ice chest looks like and they will trash your car to get it if they can see it. Most of these campgrounds have bear boxes. Or, you can hang your food from a tree. They usually recommend that you hang it at least 60 paces away from where you are camping.