PDA

View Full Version : Erie County, PA Ham Radio Hang. 22-23 June.

Frost
06-09-2013, 22:05
I'm organizing a station for Field Day (A huge ham radio contest/social event) on 22 and 23 June. We'll be operating from a hill top in SE Erie County, PA, on a 1,000 acre timber tract we have full access to.

We'll be out there Friday and Saturday night for sure, possibly Thursday night as well. There are several miles of trails and log roads on the property, and much of it is pretty much untouched. There will be smoked pork, assorted grilled animals, a camp fire, a few beers, and lots of tinkering with expensive electronics. Right now, there are three folks confirmed, with a few more tentative, but so far, I'm the only hanger.

If you've ever been curious about ham radio, this is about the best opportunity to get an introduction to the hobby, as Field Day is like Labor Day, July 4th, and St. Patrick's Day all rolled in to one for hams. I'll have a complete backpacking radio setup there that you can play with if you're interested.

There are tons of decent hanging spots within a few hundred yards of our operating location.

If anybody is interested, fess up!

nothermark
06-10-2013, 09:47
If I was not already planning on meeting up some folks here I would think about it. Maybe next year!

JaxHiker
06-10-2013, 09:58
Will you have a special event call?

nothermark
06-10-2013, 12:30
do not know. I plan on catching up with some ARES/RACES folks who I want to get involved with. How about you?

JaxHiker
06-11-2013, 08:27
Last year I resigned from ARES after getting burned out and stabbed in the back. This will be my first time skipping Field Day since '06.

I should probably get out and at least fix my wire antennas. The last storm snapped one of the runs on the dipole. The vertical might still be in working order though. PM your call/bands you plan to work and I'll try to make contact.

Frost
06-11-2013, 12:56
JaxHiker, no, I've found that Special Event calls cause a little confusion on really crowded bands. Folks, especially DX, assume they're missing a letter on the callsign. We'll be operating under my callsign, AB3I.

We aren't getting much interest from other operators, so we're planning on going 2B. With our current setup, I think we can be genuinely competitive for #1 in Category B overall.

ka8yiu
06-11-2013, 13:56
I had a similar issue with an SE call, W4K, one year. I won't do it again.

Good luck

K3VIN

JaxHiker
06-16-2013, 20:47
Interesting. Never seemed to have that issue during Field Day but I can see how it would happen. I'll see about getting my OCF up.