PDA

View Full Version : Official Fall NEHHA Planning Thread. Sept 20-22nd

Pages : [1] 2

Nighthauk
06-12-2013, 15:27
Hey guys, I know, we just came off the last one, but hey this is the best time to plan. So we have the group site(s) reserved already at the Mohawk State Forest in Charlemont, Ma. I will have the spreadsheet up tonight and posted in my sig for everyone to plan with. I am glad that everyone had a good time at the Spring one and I hope that we can make the next one even better. If anyone has any suggestions as to how we can make that happen let me know and we will see what we can do. Thanks for your help.

Tim

Stargaze
06-12-2013, 20:26
What date?

Stargaze
06-12-2013, 20:26
Duhhhhh its in the topic header Joe.

Stargaze
06-12-2013, 20:27
We're in. Is this going to be a kid friendly hang also?

Nighthauk
06-12-2013, 20:50
I would assume so. Although I set up the thread I am hoping [email protected] or Raiifnuke can chime in. I have only
Quickly stopped in there so I don't know how the tree situation is. I don't know if there will be an attendance limit.

raiffnuke
06-13-2013, 06:44
We're in. Is this going to be a kid friendly hang also?

Of course it is!

I would assume so. Although I set up the thread I am hoping [email protected] or Raiifnuke can chime in. I have only
Quickly stopped in there so I don't know how the tree situation is. I don't know if there will be an attendance limit.

I will take over the planning, especially since I reserved the site and it is in my name… :D

Please let me know what everyone would like to do while we are there, besides hang out and, well, hang.

SkyPainter
06-13-2013, 08:58
Booked on the calendar! The trees there are a hangers delight- perfectly spaced, and lots of 'em! Great site for a group hang, with plenty of hikes right there. Hung there twice already, and loved it!

We used the bear lockers, but Peggy and Russ made a racket all night trying to get out!

~ SkyPainter

Nighthauk
06-13-2013, 09:06
Too funny. Hey Sky what do you think
Hammock threshold is. This last gathering we has 37 people including the kids.

SkyPainter
06-13-2013, 09:10
Shouldn't be a problem, although being actually a bit hilly, some may be hanging over a hill, or around a bend, or down a slope. Plenty enough trees for all, though! Pretty loud owls at night, as I recall.

~ Sky

Stargaze
06-13-2013, 09:15
Any Lagoons? It's not going to be the same getting out of the hammock and not stepping in ankle deep water.

raiffnuke
06-13-2013, 09:16
Any Lagoons? It's not going to be the same getting out of the hammock and not stepping in ankle deep water.

For you, we can arrange one… even if it is a bucket if water under your hammock.

Stargaze
06-13-2013, 09:55
For you, we can arrange one… even if it is a bucket if water under your hammock.

That will work. Lol.

SkyPainter
06-13-2013, 10:04
===> Well, the hang site is right at the confluence of the Deerfield and the Cold Rivers. A short hike puts you on the Deerfield, and the Cold River runs along the site, so there is plenty of opportunity to dip you digits if you wish! 😃

~ Sky

Bigfitz
06-13-2013, 12:40
Great choice for a hang. I have a camp in whitingham VT 10 miles away. Bring your fly rods and inner tubes. The river is right there and it's loaded with fish.

Nighthauk
06-13-2013, 13:10
Great choice for a hang. I have a camp in whitingham VT 10 miles away. Bring your fly rods and inner tubes. The river is right there and it's loaded with fish.

Does this mean that you are coming to the hang Big. Would love to have ya.

Suede
06-13-2013, 13:39
Count me in.

Bigfitz
06-13-2013, 14:17
I'm gonna do everything in my power. I especially regret not coming to the one you just had. Looks like everyone had a blast in the rain!!!

Nighthauk
06-13-2013, 15:31
YEs we did. I am trying to put together a video now. It is coming out a little dark I will see what I can do with it. Plan for Fall though

weathermaker
06-13-2013, 18:38
Seems that there was interest in the Dutch ovens. We could have a Dutch Oven cooking demo. Someone mention on the last hang something about orienteering and map reading. Something to involve the youngin's. Scavenger hunt, another nasty retrieval challange 8)

Stargaze
06-13-2013, 19:17
A Dutch oven demo would be great. I'm hoping to have one by then. Your DO breakfast has me itching for one.

Grey Eagle
06-13-2013, 19:28
Seems that there was interest in the Dutch ovens. We could have a Dutch Oven cooking demo. Someone mention on the last hang something about orienteering and map reading. Something to involve the youngin's. Scavenger hunt, another nasty retrieval challange 8)
Any chance to get the list of ingredients on your "mountain man" breakfast?

Billiard Pete
06-14-2013, 09:07
I'll need to check the dates with the boss. and see what's what, and might have a buddy who will want to come and hang out too.

What are the fees involved (new here)???

Pete

Nighthauk
06-14-2013, 09:13
That is awesome Pete. Hope you can make it. It is a great group of folks. As to the fees at least as I am aware of it is just covering the cost if the rental of the place by donating to the person who setting it up. In this case it is Raiffnuke. After that there should be no additional costs. Though there will be raffles that will happen. Raiffnuke feel free to correct anything that I said that might not be correct.

Fibby
06-14-2013, 09:14
Is this a dog-friendly hang?

~Fib

Nighthauk
06-14-2013, 09:14

Weathermaker are you thinking something like Pathfinder? I would be will go pull together some recipes. I think that would be fun to do.

raiffnuke
06-14-2013, 11:16
Is this a dog-friendly hang?

~Fib

Yes, it is dog friendly. At least I am pretty sure it is. I will have to check with the camp, but if I remember correctly they are dog friendly.

weathermaker
06-14-2013, 20:32
Any chance to get the list of ingredients on your "mountain man" breakfast?
Certainly
1 pound breakfast sauage
1 pound Hash brown
1 onion med chopped
1 green pepper chopped
12 eggs scrambled
1 pound cheddar cheese or Mexican mix.

Brown the meat , add the onion and pepper and cook tender, add the hash browns and heat them through. Add the scrambled eggs but do not stir into mixture. Add the lid and cook until the eggs a set. You may want to rotate the pan and lid for even cooking. When the eggs are set sprinkle on the cheese and let melt. What I do then is remove from the heat for 10 min before serving. When cooking put 8 coils on the bottom and 16 on the lid. You can make this in the oven as well. I think if you cook it at 350 degrees it should be fine. Enjoy!!:tongueup:

weathermaker
06-14-2013, 20:38
Weathermaker are you thinking something like Pathfinder? I would be will go pull together some recipes. I think that would be fun to do.
That's what I was thinking. I know this isn't something you would do on the trail, but car camping nothing like a Dutch Oven. And hands on demo for those who have not used one before that's the best way to learn.

Nighthauk
06-14-2013, 20:41
I agree. I think we can think of a few things to do. Lol. You already have my mind thinking a recipes that we can do.

weathermaker
06-14-2013, 20:49
A Dutch oven demo would be great. I'm hoping to have one by then. Your DO breakfast has me itching for one.

Stargaze
Not sure if you used one before so if you have you know what to look for. If not get yourself a pre-seasoned oven 12" is big enough. I like the ones with legs on the pan and a flat top not the domed ones. I think Nighthauk got his from Cabelas or somewhere. His had the legs on the top so you can make pancakes and french toast with it as well.

Stargaze
06-15-2013, 14:15
I was talking to Nighthauk about them on Sunday. When two people give the same advice on a DO you know you can't go wrong taking it. The hunt is on looking for one with a flat lid and legs on it. Going to take a trip up to Bass Pro, they may have one. Thanks.

Billiard Pete
06-15-2013, 14:43
Certainly
1 pound breakfast sauage
1 pound Hash brown
1 onion med chopped
1 green pepper chopped
12 eggs scrambled
1 pound cheddar cheese or Mexican mix.

Brown the meat , add the onion and pepper and cook tender, add the hash browns and heat them through. Add the scrambled eggs but do not stir into mixture. Add the lid and cook until the eggs a set. You may want to rotate the pan and lid for even cooking. When the eggs are set sprinkle on the cheese and let melt. What I do then is remove from the heat for 10 min before serving. When cooking put 8 coils on the bottom and 16 on the lid. You can make this in the oven as well. I think if you cook it at 350 degrees it should be fine. Enjoy!!:tongueup:

OK but what are you going to have =P...

Billiard Pete
06-15-2013, 14:45
I was talking to Nighthauk about them on Sunday. When two people give the same advice on a DO you know you can't go wrong taking it. The hunt is on looking for one with a flat lid and legs on it. Going to take a trip up to Bass Pro, they may have one. Thanks.

I saw a couple at the Army Barracks in Saugus yesterday...

Pete

Suede
06-15-2013, 14:53
[QUOTE=Stargaze;1028194]I was talking to Nighthauk about them on Sunday. When two people give the same advice on a DO you know you can't go wrong taking it. The hunt is on looking for one with a flat lid and legs on it. Going to take a trip up to Bass Pro, they may have one.

found this one. Looks like the one WM had (http://www.dutchovenpro.com/product/SDO-12D)

SkyPainter
06-15-2013, 15:45

===> I got a 6 Qt DO at Target, of all places! Legs, flat lid, pre-seasoned, by Lodge.

~ Sky

Stargaze
06-15-2013, 16:17
Thanks for the heads up guys. Target you say, hmmmm I have one across the street from work.

SkyPainter
06-16-2013, 09:25
===> There are some great DO Cooking sites online, also.

~ Skt

Billiard Pete
06-16-2013, 11:27
Hey, if I can get my wife to go to one of these hangs (not likely though), is it ok if she uses a tent?

Pete

Nighthauk
06-16-2013, 12:44
It is ok but we most likely relegate her to a dark corner of the camp. :) Seriously though yes she can come and stay in a tent.

Billiard Pete
06-16-2013, 13:51
It is ok but we most likely relegate her to a dark corner of the camp. :) Seriously though yes she can come and stay in a tent.

That made my wife chuckle. Thanks...

Pete

Nighthauk
06-16-2013, 14:36
No problem. She is more then welcome to come and stay. There will be several woman there that she can talk to if she is so inclined. So she won't be the only one.

scorpio516
06-16-2013, 17:46

Lodge is, by far, the #1 mfr for them.
GSI makes some, but they are AL, so it kinda defeats the purpose ;) . They weigh like 25% of the cast iron ones though!

Feet vs. no feet? Feet are for camp fire/open hearth. Useless on a range, a pain in a oven. Feet-free ovens are great on the stove, and great in the oven, but they can be a pain on a fire (unless you've got a tripod, which is real handy!)

All of them have a flat top, but there are two types of tops: rimmed and plain. Obviously, the rimmed holds coals better so you get heat from all directions - like an oven. Plain tops can be fine, but don't have the rim to hold the coals :D

Cabelas carry a lot of them too, if your closer to CT or Maine than Foxborough. Kittery Trading Post also carries a lot. (EDIT: yeah, your in Dartmouth, so Foxborough is a lot closer lol, but that's some general info for everyone else too)

I might make it out this time, but again, no promises. Hopefully by then I'll be working. Or at least getting money from DUA (filed a claim May 4th, and haven't seen a penny yet...).
I'd have to tell my wife about the dutch oven cooking and she'd try to break out some recipes lol.

Looks like some decent hiking trails out there too.

06-20-2013, 19:27
Of course it is!

I will take over the planning, especially since I reserved the site and it is in my name… :D

Please let me know what everyone would like to do while we are there, besides hang out and, well, hang.

I'm going to try an attend this one. I'll give you a hand any way I can Pete but I'm going to be tentative for a while. There already talking two Disaster recovery tests in Sept. so I only have a 50/50 chance of the weekend being free.

I can't buy a break this year..

Stargaze
06-20-2013, 21:19
I'm going to try an attend this one. I'll give you a hand any way I can Pete but I'm going to be tentative for a while. There already talking two Disaster recovery tests in Sept. so I only have a 50/50 chance of the weekend being free.

I can't buy a break this year..

I hope you can make it. Missed seeing you at the last one.

Grey Eagle
06-20-2013, 22:33
Lodge (http://www.lodgemfg.com) is the best by far and the cast iron Dutchs are made in Tenn. Their porcelain ones though are made in China. I believe that the Camp Chef are also made in China. You also might consider the "combo" unit (product LCC3) as the lid can easily be used as a fry pan. It doesn't have legs though and requires a "lid stand" to create space under the bottom of the Dutch. (http://www.lodgemfg.com/cooking-accessories?Page=2&Items=12)

06-21-2013, 06:37
I hope you can make it. Missed seeing you at the last one.

Thanks Stargaze. I was going to try and stop up but ended up working 24/7 for 3 days.
I've got a Rugged Maniac event the week after that I already put in for but I'm going to add the 20th as a vaca day today. I'll just have to see what happens.

Billiard Pete
06-21-2013, 07:09
No problem. She is more then welcome to come and stay. There will be several woman there that she can talk to if she is so inclined. So she won't be the only one.

Well it looks like (at this time) I will be able to make it. Don't know if my wife will come (if see does my dog Georgie will come too:)). And next weekend I'm camping with my oldest friend (he's not really the oldest, but I've known him the longest), and he might try the hammock out. So he too would be a maybe like the wife and Georgie (yep, my dog got reffered to by name twice, my friend and wife, nope;););)...

Pete

natureboy68
06-21-2013, 21:21
Would love to join you guys! Especially since there is a cabelas on the way! (rte 91 in Hartford)

Nighthauk
06-22-2013, 07:13
Come on up. Would love to have ya.

Stargaze
06-23-2013, 21:28
Finally got a Lodge 12" DO with legs. Whooooo hoooooo. Now I need to decide what to cook in it for the first time.

jerzybears
06-24-2013, 18:25
Consider us there!

Nighthauk
06-24-2013, 23:08
Consider us there!

I wouldn't have thought any different. Lol

Bigfitz
06-25-2013, 06:04
Is there a sign up sheet yet? I have a wedding on Friday night in Plymouth but I am planning on coming Saturday into sunday. Still trying to convince the wife to come with my little guy.
*** a word of caution**. The hang is during the last weekend of the sept bear season. There are blackies in the area. I'm not saying we need to use bear bags, but we should be cognizant of scraps and things of that nature. They love the dumpsters.
I'm excited to meet everyone!!

Billiard Pete
06-25-2013, 09:02
Is there a sign up sheet yet? I have a wedding on Friday night in Plymouth but I am planning on coming Saturday into sunday. Still trying to convince the wife to come with my little guy.
*** a word of caution**. The hang is during the last weekend of the sept bear season. There are blackies in the area. I'm not saying we need to use bear bags, but we should be cognizant of scraps and things of that nature. They love the dumpsters.
I'm excited to meet everyone!!

Bears, Oh My...

rockroot=:-(
07-03-2013, 01:05
Sounds Great! I will drive up and hang with the gang.
Rock on!!!!!!!!!!

Nighthauk
07-03-2013, 06:28
Be happy to have ya Rockroot.

raiffnuke
07-03-2013, 06:29
Sounds Great! I will drive up and hang with the gang.
Rock on!!!!!!!!!!

Be happy to have ya Rockroot.

I second that!

shrineclown
07-04-2013, 09:48
Already committed that weekend....when is the winter hang so I can put it in my book?

Nighthauk
07-04-2013, 16:32
At this point I THINK it will be the 3rd-5th of January.

SkyPainter
07-04-2013, 20:06
Bears, Oh My...

====> Ahhhh.... Not to worry. I was hanging in Harold Parker SF and ran into a small one there. They are okay. Just a 300 lb stomach with legs. They want food...all the time...not people!

Besides, as long as you can outrun one of us, you're good! ;)

~ Sky

Billiard Pete
07-05-2013, 09:47
====> Ahhhh.... Not to worry. I was hanging in Harold Parker SF and ran into a small one there. They are okay. Just a 300 lb stomach with legs. They want food...all the time...not people!

~ Sky

Not much of a runner. But tripping, that's another thing ;););)...

SkyPainter
07-05-2013, 09:58
Not much of a runner. But tripping, that's another thing ;););)...

====>. Lol! Not too much of runner any more either - so I make sure I have superior firepower.

~ Sky

Stargaze
07-05-2013, 10:11

~ Sky

We used to joke about that when scuba diving. Ya don't have to out swim a shark just your buddy. What's another word for friend?, chum. Another reason to carry a knife when diving. Lol.

SkyPainter
07-05-2013, 10:31
We used to joke about that when scuba diving. Ya don't have to out swim a shark just your buddy. What's another word for friend?, chum. Another reason to carry a knife when diving. Lol.

====> LIFE is the reason to carry a knife! Or several, as I tend to. Shark fin Soup...mmmmm!

~ Sky

shrineclown
07-08-2013, 20:38
At this point I THINK it will be the 3rd-5th of January.

I will have to save some fireworks...the marques should be turned off by then. :D

guitargeek76
07-10-2013, 11:28
This looks like it could be a lot of fun. Gotta see if I can get the time off. I'm a newb (my HH is being delivered this week). Is there an official registration site for this? Do we just show up?

Frank

Stargaze
07-10-2013, 11:42
I believe the reservation has already been made. If you haven't been to one before they are a great time. Hope to see you there.

guitargeek76
07-10-2013, 11:48
Yeah, I think the site has been reserved. I just wasn't sure what I need to do as a potential participant.

Stargaze
07-10-2013, 11:54
Just show up. Relax and have fun. This is a great bunch of people. We're all friends you haven't met yet.

guitargeek76
07-10-2013, 12:00
Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend. And I'm sure it's a great bunch of people. So far this whole forum has been great. I'm definitely looking to meet some folks, learn and just hang out.

The OP mentioned some checklist for planning. Has that been made available yet, to anyone's knowledge?

Nighthauk
07-10-2013, 12:55
Nope it isn't available yet cause I have been lazy. Lol. I will get it up tonight. There I no signup per say. It is a general who is planning on going so that those that are brining stuff can show what they are bringing and we can make sure that we have all the correct stuff, food and what nots. Look forward to meeting up with you.

Nighthauk.

guitargeek76
07-10-2013, 13:00
No worries. I only asked because I've never been camping before. I've got my first trip planned for the first weekend in August. So seeing a list like what you're describing would be really helpful.

Nighthauk
07-10-2013, 15:56
Alright the Spreadsheet should be ready to be viewed, edited and John Hancocked.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDlEwUylA1LdENsenkzNW44LUpJOFFJTmMwLWxXT FE&usp=sharing

SkyPainter
07-10-2013, 16:56
===> I signed up for this one. Hope this time life lets me go again! I like the site a lot. See everyone there! (Hoping to have a new Warbonnet RidgeRinner by then!)

~ SkyPainter

Billiard Pete
07-10-2013, 18:02
This will be my first group hang. Looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing all the different set ups. Hope to learn a lot and have a great time at it...

Pete

Stargaze
07-10-2013, 20:12
===> I signed up for this one. Hope this time life lets me go again! I like the site a lot. See everyone there! (Hoping to have a new Warbonnet RidgeRinner by then!)

~ SkyPainter

My fingers are crossed for ya Sky, missed ya at the last one.

shrineclown
07-10-2013, 20:17
My fingers are crossed for ya Sky, missed ya at the last one.

So you did not have a self-fueling vapor burn off?

Stargaze
07-11-2013, 06:36
So you did not have a self-fueling vapor burn off?

Not this time. Lol.

SkyPainter
07-11-2013, 07:55
This will be my first group hang. Looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing all the different set ups. Hope to learn a lot and have a great time at it...

Pete

===> Hi Pete! I live right next door from you in Stoneham! If you'd like we can travel to the hang together - splits the gas cost, and have some company on a long ride.

Maybe we can hang together first locally before the NEHHA, to get everything dialed-in.

The NEHHA is an absolute blast, with some great people, and amazing food. You will certainly get to see lots of set-ups, and different ways to hang a hammock . And electric Flamingos. And Stars at night.

Welcome to the group, and the forums, and the trees!

~ SkyPainter

Stargaze
07-11-2013, 10:24
===>

The NEHHA is an absolute blast, with some great people, and amazing food. You will certainly get to see lots of set-ups, and different ways to hang a hammock . And electric Flamingos. And Stars at night.

Welcome to the group, and the forums, and the trees!

~ SkyPainter

Well said Sky!!, the Flamingos just may make this trip.

Tripod
07-11-2013, 11:57
I am not sure what happened to my previous post, I am on the spreadsheetbut and I will be there, it is on my calendar.

SkyPainter
07-11-2013, 12:05
Well said Sky!!, the Flamingos just may make this trip.

====> I certainly hope so! They help make the NEHHA a more unique event! Besides, when returning from night patrols, the make a good orienting reference point!

This should be a great hang, once again! The site is hammock heaven with the trees and spacing. Just set-up away from the Bear Lockers. Once we manage to get Peggy and Russ inside, they make a racket all night trying to get out!

PS: There is good Fly Fishing nearby, on the Deerfield River.

~ SkyPainter

SkyPainter
07-11-2013, 12:07
I am not sure what happened to my previous post, I am on the spreadsheetbut and I will be there, it is on my calendar.

===> Great! I look forward to hanging with you again, Joe!

~ Sky

sunshower
07-23-2013, 14:19
finally got the weekend off from work so we are there! can't wait :0)

sunshower
07-23-2013, 14:28
+ 2 Siberians if they are allowed.

Nighthauk
07-23-2013, 23:19
Glad to hear all the people that are planning on making it. I know it will be a great time.

raiffnuke
07-24-2013, 07:09
Glad to hear all the people that are planning on making it. I know it will be a great time.

Your dang right it will be a good time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Two Tents
07-24-2013, 08:48
Does anyone have a guess on what Amtrak stop would get me the closest to the hang. I'll hitch hike the rest of the way in. I have a few details to work out before I know for sure if I'll make it. Ya gotta have dreams!

Gravix
07-24-2013, 10:32
I'm assuming you are only looking at trains? If so, Pittsfield,ma , Amherst,ma and Brattleboro,vt are all about equidistant from charlemont and the hang site - each about 20-30 miles as the crow flies. I won't know my departure time for a while yet, so I don't think I can commit to picking you up yet, but I'm sure the lot of us can work out a carpool so nobody needs to hitch. Looking forward to another awesome hang - the last was a blast.
-K

weathermaker
07-27-2013, 11:02
If you get to Brattleboro Vt I might be able to give you a ride up. I am 20 min from Bratt.

sunshower
07-29-2013, 13:28
does anyone know of good hikes in the area? i like the idea of dutch oven training.. might have to pick one up at Target if this is on. How does the raffle work? we have a couple of items we could bring. We had a lot of fun at the Fall NEHHA last year @ Greylock, how has it already been a year? hoping to impress Raiffnuke with our non floppy tarps this year... we'll see. lol.

raiffnuke
07-29-2013, 13:33
does anyone know of good hikes in the area? i like the idea of dutch oven training.. might have to pick one up at Target if this is on. How does the raffle work? we have a couple of items we could bring. We had a lot of fun at the Fall NEHHA last year @ Greylock, how has it already been a year? hoping to impress Raiffnuke with our non floppy tarps this year... we'll see. lol.

On that note…I am going to have to keep an eye on your tarps. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nighthauk
07-29-2013, 22:23
I am so looking forward to this hang. We will be having a raffle but we would like suggestions as to which charity donation that the money will towards. Does anyone have suggestions. Yes I will be the first to raise their hand and say the money can go to the Nighthauk charity fund. Lol.

SkyPainter
07-30-2013, 08:57
===> Well, I can make a self-serving charity suggestion. As someone dealing with advanced cancer, might I suggest the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston? They have somehow managed to keep both me and my wife (also a cancer patient there) alive despite some daunting odds. Miracles, they do!

DFCI keeps me hanging, and that is a good thing!

Humbly,

Chaaaz, AKA, ~SkyPainter

shrineclown
07-30-2013, 12:03
Unfortunately, I cannot be there at this one. Would like the second DFCI.

guitargeek76
07-31-2013, 11:09
Looking very good for me. :thumbup1: Might bring my brother and his wife, but they're tent users....for now.

raiffnuke
07-31-2013, 11:10
Looking very good for me. :thumbup1: Might bring my brother and his wife, but they're tent users....for now.

There will be plenty of rigs available for a test hang if they are interested.

guitargeek76
07-31-2013, 11:15
I'm doing an overnight with them this weekend. Going to be MY first time in the hammock, but having told them about it they are very interested in my setup. (HH Safari, HH Hex Fly, UGQ 20* UQ).

Veto 65
07-31-2013, 21:29
===> Well, I can make a self-serving charity suggestion. As someone dealing with advanced cancer, might I suggest the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston? They have somehow managed to keep both me and my wife (also a cancer patient there) alive despite some daunting odds. Miracles, they do!

DFCI keeps me hanging, and that is a good thing!

Humbly,

Chaaaz, AKA, ~SkyPainter

I second!

And yes I'm going too.

SkyPainter
08-01-2013, 09:58
I second!

And yes I'm going too.

===> Will be great to hang with you again John!

~ Sky

Tripod
08-04-2013, 18:11
===> Well, I can make a self-serving charity suggestion. As someone dealing with advanced cancer, might I suggest the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston?
I would third this, we have spent some time there in the past.

SkyPainter
08-04-2013, 18:21
===> Thanks for the votes for DFCI guys! They have kept me, and my wife, going for years past our expiration dates!

~ SkyPainter

Stargaze
08-04-2013, 19:25
DFCI gets my vote too. This hang needs to hurry up and get here.

Nighthauk
08-04-2013, 20:05
I know. Right now I am making a full setup for a friend of mine, A 11' 1.1 woodland camo dbl layer hammock, noseeum bug net fronkey style and a olive brown 12' winter tarp. Just finished the hammock. Comes in at 16 oz even w/o straps. All this to say that it is making me itching to get out in the woods.

db144
08-12-2013, 06:59
Is there space still available for 2? The spreadsheet posted earlier has disappeared along with the site locations.

d

natureboy68
08-12-2013, 08:16
Signed up on the spreadsheet!
How long of a hike in? Or is it a car camping thing? Just prepping how much I can bring! :)

Nighthauk
08-12-2013, 08:28
There is still spots available. As to the spreadsheet heck out my sig. Should be there. This is a car camping event so bring what you need to or want too. Lol

Yukon
08-16-2013, 22:22
Just signed up :)

attroll
08-17-2013, 16:03
Just signed up :)
Just signed up

jerzybears
08-17-2013, 18:17
Any room for some Bears??:scared:

raiffnuke
08-17-2013, 18:20
Any room for some Bears??:scared:

There is alway room for the Bears!

SkyPainter
08-17-2013, 19:46
===> We ALWAYS have room for the Bears!!! Plus we have new Bear Lockers for you to stay in!

~ Sky

attroll
08-20-2013, 00:19
I am not sure if I missed this in the thread here but has direction been posted yet?

naperica
08-20-2013, 10:15
Thinking of joining in. Is there room for one more? Never have done a group hang. What do I need to bring? Just the stuff for myself?

raiffnuke
08-20-2013, 10:17
Thinking of joining in. Is there room for one more? Never have done a group hang. What do I need to bring? Just the stuff for myself?

Ere should be room for you. Just bring yourself, your gear, a good attitude, and maybe some food to share. See you there!

naperica
08-20-2013, 10:26
Ere should be room for you. Just bring yourself, your gear, a good attitude, and maybe some food to share. See you there!

Okay, just saw the google doc. Are these big group sites or many individual ones? Totally green on this topic. Noob hanger here. I don't need to additional site reserve or anything?

I just have to verify that hubby has no plans for the weekend, so he can stay with the kids. He and my boys are still tenters.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your patience.

raiffnuke
08-20-2013, 10:27
Okay, just saw the google doc. Are these big group sites or many individual ones? Totally green on this topic. Noob hanger here. I don't need to additional site reserve or anything?

I just have to verify that hubby has no plans for the weekend, so he can stay with the kids. He and my boys are still tenters.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your patience.

It is a large group site. You do not need to reserve a site, I have already reserved it.

08-20-2013, 12:04
I am not sure if I missed this in the thread here but has direction been posted yet?

Here is the link to the park website. Directions are available along with maps of the area-
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-west/mohawk-trail-state-forest.html

I'm in for this group hang. I've confirmed work won't mess up my weekend of fun :) Hey Raiffnuke. I can help out with whatever you need me to, just give me a call.

raiffnuke
08-20-2013, 12:06
Here is the link to the park website. Directions are available along with maps of the area-
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-west/mohawk-trail-state-forest.html

I'm in for this group hang. I've confirmed work won't mess up my weekend of fun :) Hey Raiffnuke. I can help out with whatever you need me to, just give me a call.

Will do. I got your message the other day, but I haven't had a chance to get back to you.

SkyPainter
08-20-2013, 12:35

===> Great! Hey John, how long did the trip home from the hang this weekend take you? And I forgot the name of your cool watershoes!

Seeya at this hang!

~ Sky

jerzybears
08-20-2013, 18:43
I have "back to school night" that week so I can clearly use the break by being ...err..Hugh SICK! Yeah that's the ticket..SICK!!!

mattyoc20
08-20-2013, 18:47
I added my wife to the spreadsheet. Hope that is ok and that there is still room for her. Please let me know if it is not. Looking forward to it!!!

raiffnuke
08-20-2013, 18:48
I added my wife to the spreadsheet. Hope that is ok and that there is still room for her. Please let me know if it is not. Looking forward to it!!!

He more the merrier!

Nighthauk
08-20-2013, 20:15
Wow guys this looks great. A bunch of new faces and regulars. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

oldsoldier
08-20-2013, 21:26
Sadly, we cannot make this one. I have a wilderness first aid course that weekend, and Nicky has something wedding related.

attroll
08-21-2013, 09:33
We have an announcement to make. Warbonnet Outdoors and Hammock Forums have teamed up and we are going to have a XLC Blackbird double 1.1/1.9 multicam at the group hang to raffle off, along with some other goodies.

For those of you that have been undecided about attending the group hang then this along with meeting all the new Hammock Forums staff may be just the good reason for attending.

Come and join and lets hang together.

SkyPainter
08-21-2013, 10:15
===> BB XLC...Multicam....(DROOL!)

Can't wait!

~ SkyPainter

Billiard Pete
08-21-2013, 11:06
We have an announcement to make. Warbonnet Outdoors and Hammock Forums have teamed up and we are going to have a XLC Blackbird double 1.1/1.9 multicam at the group hang to raffle off, along with some other goodies.

For those of you that have been undecided about attending the group hang then this along with meeting all the new Hammock Forums staff may be just the good reason for attending.

Come and join and lets hang together.

Being a Noob, How much are raffle tickets???

08-21-2013, 11:13
===> Great! Hey John, how long did the trip home from the hang this weekend take you? And I forgot the name of your cool watershoes!

Seeya at this hang!

~ Sky

Right around 3 hours. I thought I was going to have a repeat of 495 traffic. Was stop and go for 10 minutes and then it cleared up.

Vivobarefoot Ultra pure water shoes.

Nighthauk
08-21-2013, 11:30
ATtroll that is awesome news. Thanks a lot for that.

As far as tickets go I think the last time we did it it cost $5.00 for an arm length of tickets. That was a Chinese auction style. Things could go differently this time though.

SkyPainter
08-21-2013, 21:14
Sadly, we cannot make this one. I have a wilderness first aid course that weekend, and Nicky has something wedding related.

===> Gonna miss you two again, Bill! Good luck with the course, AND the wedding stuff! I will try to snore like bagpipes in your honor....no, wait! We have a new hanger (HammockPete)
coming from here that can do that!

Say hello to Nicky for me! Hope we can hang together again this Fall anyway sometime.

Best,

Chaaaz, AKA, ~ SkyPainter

Billiard Pete
08-22-2013, 02:00
===> Gonna miss you two again, Bill! Good luck with the course, AND the wedding stuff! I will try to snore like bagpipes in your honor....no, wait! We have a new hanger (HammockPete)

Say hello to Nicky for me! Hope we can hang together again this Fall anyway sometime.

Best,

Don't fear the Yeti. Embrace the Yeti...

oldsoldier
08-22-2013, 06:54

Best,

I certainly will! I think our weekend outings this year are pretty limited-we only have a few weeks until the wedding. Next year, we plan on doing a lot of weekend trips. After the wedding, it will probably be all we can actually afford :)

guitargeek76
08-24-2013, 00:22
Looks like I'm in! And what a great excuse to buy a TQ. :shades:

Second Wind
08-24-2013, 01:10
I am so tempted to sign up for this - sounds like great fun. I'm relatively new to hanging, and have never been to a group hang. What a great way to meet people and learn a lot. I would like to bring my son and daughter (8 and 10) who also love hanging and have their own set ups. as soon as I see September's work schedule, I will sign up if im not working.

SkyPainter
08-24-2013, 18:15
I am so tempted to sign up for this - sounds like great fun. I'm relatively new to hanging, and have never been to a group hang. What a great way to meet people and learn a lot. I would like to bring my son and daughter (8 and 10) who also love hanging and have their own set ups. as soon as I see September's work schedule, I will sign up if im not working.

====> Howdy! Just do it! We would love to have you all! It's a great time!

~ SkyPainter

SilvrSurfr
08-24-2013, 19:50
I may be coming up to see y'all - gotta check the work schedule. Somebody has to supervise JerzeyBears! It's not an easy job.

raiffnuke
08-24-2013, 20:03
I may be coming up to see y'all - gotta check the work schedule. Somebody has to supervise JerzeyBears! It's not an easy job.

I agree…they are a handful!

We will be glad to have you.

mudsocks
08-24-2013, 21:15
Is there still room at the inn for two? I haven't read through all 13 pages of posts and I'm sorry if it has been stated but to whom should I direct monies to to help offset the cost of the site? Is there anything specific I should bring for the group? Wood or food?

Update: I've added myself and one guest. Hope I haven't overstepped my bounds.

raiffnuke
08-25-2013, 06:16
Is there still room at the inn for two? I haven't read through all 13 pages of posts and I'm sorry if it has been stated but to whom should I direct monies to to help offset the cost of the site? Is there anything specific I should bring for the group? Wood or food?

Update: I've added myself and one guest. Hope I haven't overstepped my bounds.

C'mon out!

I reserved the site, but that is no big deal. Just bring yourselves, your gear, a good attitude, and maybe some food to share with the group.

We look forward to seeing you there!

PDA
08-30-2013, 15:37
I just signed up. Not been to a group hang since the first one (also at Charlemont). really looknig forward to it.

guitargeek76
08-30-2013, 17:34
Hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but how big around are the trees there? Does anyone know? I'm currently using the tree huggers that came with my HH. They're about 3.5 feet long. Will those suffice, or should I pick up a larger set prior to the hang? Any and all info you can provide this noob are greatly appreciated!

Frank

raiffnuke
08-30-2013, 17:35
Hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but how big around are the trees there? Does anyone know? I'm currently using the tree huggers that came with my HH. They're about 3.5 feet long. Will those suffice, or should I pick up a larger set prior to the hang? Any and all info you can provide this noob are greatly appreciated!

Frank

Those should work fine. If you run into issues, there will be plenty of us with extras you can borrow.

guitargeek76
08-30-2013, 17:40
Thanks for the quick reply! Have a great labor day weekend!

raiffnuke
08-30-2013, 17:41
Thanks for the quick reply! Have a great labor day weekend!

You too my friend. At the NEHHA I can show you how to make some Dogbones so you can always have extra if you need it.

guitargeek76
08-30-2013, 18:00
Awesome. Looking forward to it!

Deadphans
08-31-2013, 07:39
I may attend. I have to check out my work schedule and see if I can work something out.

Id like a dog bone tutorial too Raiffnuke, if ya dont mind :)

raiffnuke
08-31-2013, 07:40
I may attend. I have to check out my work schedule and see if I can work something out.

Id like a dog bone tutorial too Raiffnuke, if ya dont mind :)

No problem. We can have another session of Raiffnuke Splicing School like we did at the winter hang. :D

Greensoldier
08-31-2013, 15:32
Hello all,

I sadly missed the NE summer hang but don't want to miss this one. This will be my first hang and I am looking forward to gain knowledge and have a great time. Is there room for one more?

Thanks

raiffnuke
08-31-2013, 16:30
Hello all,

I sadly missed the NE summer hang but don't want to miss this one. This will be my first hang and I am looking forward to gain knowledge and have a great time. Is there room for one more?

Thanks

Come on in, the waters fine! There should be plenty of trees. We look forward to meeting you.

SkyPainter
08-31-2013, 16:31
===> Can't wait for this hang! Love the site, and all the folks who go! The only fly in my ointment is eye surgery, which is being scheduled for the Sept/Oct timeframe. Getting bionic eyes. If surgery happens, driving will be out for a while. Having both eyes done a month or two apart to get cataracts removed, and new lenses permanently installed.

Of course, I can always find the food area!

C=:-D Chef Chaaaz

Suede
08-31-2013, 16:55
===> Can't wait for this hang! Love the site, and all the folks who go! The only fly in my ointment is eye surgery, which is being scheduled for the Sept/Oct timeframe. Getting bionic eyes. If surgery happens, driving will be out for a while. Having both eyes done a month or two apart to get cataracts removed, and new lenses permanently installed.

Good luck with your surgery. I'm sure it will be amazing visually after you get your surgery! See you at NEHHA.

SkyPainter
08-31-2013, 16:59
Good luck with your surgery. I'm sure it will be amazing visually after you get your surgery! See you at NEHHA.

===>. THANKS! I have needed it for a long time. Will be good to be able to see clearly again!

~ SkyPainter

attroll
08-31-2013, 17:34
For those going don't forget sign up on the signup sheet below.
FALL NEHHA Sign-up SHEET (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDlEwUylA1LdENsenkzNW44LUpJOFFJTmMwLWxXT FE#gid=0)

Tripod
08-31-2013, 20:14

So Chaaaz if you need a ride and are allowed out of the house for the weekend, let me know, You are not that far away,

Joe

Billiard Pete
08-31-2013, 20:30
===>. THANKS! I have needed it for a long time. Will be good to be able to see clearly again!

~ SkyPainter

Chazzz I can drive us...

Yukon
08-31-2013, 20:40
This will be a great time. I look forward to seeing people I know, and meeting members I haven't yet :D

SkyPainter
08-31-2013, 22:02
===> Thanks Joe, and Pete! I have no idea when this is being scheduled, or what kind if shape I will be in after the surgeries. But I WILL keep you guys in mind! Thanks again!

~ SkyPainter

Nighthauk
08-31-2013, 22:35
I am sure that you will bounce back in no time. Hope to see you there though.

naperica
09-01-2013, 10:35
All signed up. Just need to think of something to bring for the potluck........

SkyPainter
09-01-2013, 16:03
===> If I get to hold off the docs long enough, I will certainly make something unusual (although not the Moroccan Goat Stew again). Definitely a Rabbit dish, and maybe another protein. Maybe a Dutch Oven dinner. And desert.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/02/u8ygu3yb.jpg

~ SkyPainter

JoshuaTrees
09-01-2013, 19:52
definitely going to try to make this one, but I might have to choose between this one and Mt caridigan

jerzybears
09-01-2013, 20:24
NEHHA has officially became closer for us than Fall MAHHA. Who's thunk it? Massachusetts here we come.

Nighthauk
09-01-2013, 20:34
===> If I get to hold off the docs long enough, I will certainly make something unusual (although not the Moroccan Goat Stew again). Definitely a Rabbit dish, and maybe another protein. Maybe a Dutch Oven dinner. And desert.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/02/u8ygu3yb.jpg

~ SkyPainter

Anyone ever tell you that you look like the swedish chef from the muppets?

SkyPainter
09-01-2013, 21:47
===>. Ferday ferday ferd, de ferday ferd!

~ Chef Sky. C=:-{D

Greensoldier
09-01-2013, 21:50
Officially signed up!

raiffnuke
09-02-2013, 03:36
===>. Ferday ferday ferd, de ferday ferd!

~ Chef Sky. C=:-{D

This is what happens when SkyPainter makes flammable meals…

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/02/quryva3e.jpg

SkyPainter
09-02-2013, 09:37
===> Whipping-up another flammable, yet tasty, meal!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/02/ydaqu5ad.jpg

Lol!

~ Sky

Nighthauk
09-03-2013, 13:11
Alright Folks I need to say with the overwhelming and welcoming amount of people interested in going; So far 47 people say they are going with a possible 7 others, we will be over our limit of 50. So at this point I will have to say that sign-ups are closed until we get closer and everyone FULLY commits to going. I am grateful and Delighted that we have as many people signed up!!! It will be a great turn out and A lot of fun to be sure.

guitargeek76
09-03-2013, 13:15
FWIW, the 2 possibles I listed with me are both ground dwellers. I am a definite.

Billiard Pete
09-03-2013, 13:19
Alright Folks I need to say with the overwhelming and welcoming amount of people interested in going; So far 47 people say they are going with a possible 7 others, we will be over our limit of 50. So at this point I will have to say that sign-ups are closed until we get closer and everyone FULLY commits to going. I am grateful and Delighted that we have as many people signed up!!! It will be a great turn out and A lot of fun to be sure.

My friend never got back to me so I would make that spot open (besides, he was going to sleep in a tent I think)...

Nighthauk
09-03-2013, 13:54
FWIW, the 2 possibles I listed with me are both ground dwellers. I am a definite.

My friend never got back to me so I would make that spot open (besides, he was going to sleep in a tent I think)...

It is not a matter of hanging spots vs. tents. The Park lists group site max amount of People list at 50. With some expected attrition we will still be close to that at the moment. Until we get solid commitments/declines I think it will be safe to keep the numbers where we are at. I would love to open it up to more, but I just dont want to have to tell someone that has already said they want to go that they can't because we are over at the night before. I am sure everyone can appreciate that.

G...Hawk
09-03-2013, 16:02
Just read thru entire thread when i realized the NEHHA is 4 hrs less drive from NYC than the fall MAHHA ( 8.5hrs ).

To find the hang is full.

At this point, would like to be on the imaginary waitlist.

G

SkyPainter
09-03-2013, 19:48
Just read thru entire thread when i realized the NEHHA is 4 hrs less drive from NYC than the fall MAHHA ( 8.5hrs ).

G

===> well, we have another hang in the works (Northern NE Hang) in Oct. if you cam't make this one! many of the same people. And about the same distance,
but on private land.

Hope to meet you at one of them!

~ SkyPainter

sunshower
09-03-2013, 20:39
Can we make a waiting list just in case there are back-outs last minute?

Nighthauk
09-03-2013, 20:59
I will add it to the current one, sunshower.

Nighthauk
09-03-2013, 21:01

G

I just added a waiting list on the spreadsheet. If you are interested can you add in some contact info so that if we have an opening I might be able to get a hold of you.

attroll
09-03-2013, 22:27
Are you serious. We have to turn people away now? That really stinks. Are there other sites other then the group site that people can go to? There must be something that can be done so that we don't have to turn people away.

Nighthauk
09-03-2013, 23:37
I will look into it. I know when we were looking for sites earlier there weren't many options. You also have to understand that before this hang the highest we have had previously was 36. Our numbers are growing quickly. Which is great but just unexpected. Let me see what we can do.

attroll
09-04-2013, 00:31
I was not trying to come down on you about this so I hope I did not come across wrong. I was just bummed that you had to start turning people away.

Yukon
09-04-2013, 06:41
Indeed, NEHHA seems to be expanding each time there is a hang. Guess some bigger sites might be in order for the future! :)

09-04-2013, 06:54
Indeed, NEHHA seems to be expanding each time there is a hang. Guess some bigger sites might be in order for the future! :)

DAR group site was much bigger but trees were not as abundant. I think we'd have to check it out again but it might be an option for next year.

Maybe Raiffnuke has a better memory of capacity than I do from the last hang there.

sunshower
09-04-2013, 07:07
We already signed up a long time ago, was wondering if in general a list could go up?

sorry saw there is a list already :0)))

SilvrSurfr
09-04-2013, 12:58
There are individual sites available. Any reason people couldn't reserve those? Not sure if they have trees, though.

raiffnuke
09-04-2013, 12:59
There are individual sites available. Any reason people couldn't reserve those? Not sure if they have trees, though.

There is no reason you could not reserve an individual site for yourself and come to the festivities.

Zilla
09-04-2013, 13:11
There is no reason you could not reserve an individual site for yourself and come to the festivities.

Where is the spreadsheet to sign up for the hang, i seen it before and now i cant find it help

raiffnuke
09-04-2013, 13:14
Where is the spreadsheet to sign up for the hang, i seen it before and now i cant find it help

Look in Nighthauk's signature. That is one easy place to find it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AmDlEwUylA1LdENsenkzNW44LUpJOFFJTmMwLWxXTF E&usp=sharing

Hopefully the above link will work for you.

SilvrSurfr
09-04-2013, 13:26

Any idea on what sites to avoid (no trees)?

guitargeek76
09-04-2013, 13:52
My 2 possibles are not coming, so I removed them from the sheet.

raiffnuke
09-04-2013, 14:21
Any idea on what sites to avoid (no trees)?

I wish I could help. Sadly, I have never camped at this campground. Maybe another NEHHA member has better insight on the sites.

Dutch
09-04-2013, 18:05
It really starts to get hard to find places to go when it gets big. Fifty is a real managable amount. After that parking becomes an issue and 100+ people start to make an inpact on the environment. Small is not bad, especially since I'm already signed up:).

Nighthauk
09-04-2013, 18:10
Nope this would be a good option. I wish I could help you on which sites are best. Sorry.

I was not trying to come down on you about this so I hope I did not come across wrong. I was just bummed that you had to start turning people away. No worries.

DAR group site was much bigger but trees were not as abundant. I think we'd have to check it out again but it might be an option for next year.

Maybe Raiffnuke has a better memory of capacity than I do from the last hang there. I can check on this one this weekend. I will be up in that area so I can scope out the group site. Though I would really like to travel a bit and get some locations nearer to others so we can share the driving.

There is no reason you could not reserve an individual site for yourself and come to the festivities. That is what i say too.

SkyPainter
09-04-2013, 19:46
===> have just camped at the group site (2x), but there are trees all over this place, and generally perfect for having!

~ SkyPainter

Tripod
09-05-2013, 08:39
The group site we are in is in an area with cabins. The tent site area is a bit of a walk away, down the hill and alongside the river. I walked by the first year we were there, but do not remember what they were like.

Fibby
09-05-2013, 09:04
Wait list for me. Didn't figure on it being closed out :( I'll sign up early for the next one though ;)

SkyPainter
09-05-2013, 17:26
It really starts to get hard to find places to go when it gets big. Fifty is a real managable amount. After that parking becomes an issue and 100+ people start to make an inpact on the environment. Small is not bad, especially since I'm already signed up:).

===> Sincerely hope you make this one, Dutch! I have a pile of your gear I need to know how to deploy! (LOVE my original Dutch clips!). Might bring a new RidgeRunner that just arrived! Maybe how to use the quilt hooks!

Hope to meet you there-

~ SkyPainter

genegene
09-05-2013, 18:29
WOW!!! As one of the founding members of the first unofficial NEHHA hang, I had no idea that its gotten this big and we are turning people away.

I think that as an employee of DCR I need to look into a way to find more space for us or help find a bigger location that we can use.

I would love to come out for the weekend but due to work ie.. Tolland State Forest, I have to work weekends. I will try and get up there for a few hrs. that saturday just to say Hi to everyone though. There are a lot of names that I recognize that are going to be there. Maybe someday we can get Shug to come out as well. LOL

genegene
09-05-2013, 19:07
BTW....
As a DCR Supervisor for Tolland State Forest and has to deal with large groups and multiple sites booked by one person with no one knowing where anyone is going, ONE person should have all the following info that I will post at the bottom ahead of time and fax it over to Mohawk a few days before your arrival. Call them beforehand and let them know your are sending it. The person that sends it should be the one who booked the site and make sure you give them your info so if there is a problem they can contact you directly.
The info that is needed has to go into the computer and its easier on the staff if you do this ahead of time. This is what I did for the first group hang there and it was easier on the staff.
Also remember that there is limited parking up there so come in as few a cars as possible.

Name of camper (First & Last for Each person)
Car info
Plate #
State (mass, ny, ct. etc..)
Make
Model
Color

Nighthauk
09-05-2013, 19:40
Is everyone ok with putting this info on the spreadsheet or would you feel more comfortable sending it to me or Raiffnuke personally?

Veto 65
09-05-2013, 21:34
Is everyone ok with putting this info on the spreadsheet or would you feel more comfortable sending it to me or Raiffnuke personally?

Yes, I think we did this last time. I'll send you a PM.

Bigfitz
09-06-2013, 06:52
I had planned on coming to this hang since I missed the last one. Now I see that my procrastinatory ways have led me astray. Lol.
Would it be ok to come and hang out during the day on Saturday ? I understand I won't be able to "hangout" at night but I'd like to meet everybody and check out all the cool hammock gear.

raiffnuke
09-06-2013, 06:54
I had planned on coming to this hang since I missed the last one. Now I see that my procrastinatory ways have led me astray. Lol.
Would it be ok to come and hang out during the day on Saturday ? I understand I won't be able to "hangout" at night but I'd like to meet everybody and check out all the cool hammock gear.

Absolutely! Also, there may be individual sites still open. You can reserve one of those and still enjoy the weekend of festivities.

Bigfitz
09-06-2013, 06:56
Thanks. That sounds great.

Suede
09-06-2013, 07:02

I am ok with adding it to the spreadsheet, whatever's easiest.

JollyGreen
09-06-2013, 10:23
2 weeks..........

raiffnuke
09-06-2013, 10:28
2 weeks..........

............and counting.............

JollyGreen
09-06-2013, 10:31
............and counting.............

Where's the "like" button?

hk2001
09-06-2013, 17:38
I JUST got a phone call from one of the guys I hike with asking to do something this weekend, I figured coming out to hang with you guys may be a good idea.

Any ideas if there are still openings for single sites with trees? Phone number, prices, etc?

I hate last minute planning, and yea.. 2 weeks is last minute for me :scared:

civetta
09-06-2013, 19:20
Looks like CF-18 is still open for the 20th and 21st. Up to 4 people/site. Full shade.

hk2001
09-06-2013, 19:39
Looks like CF-18 is still open for the 20th and 21st. Up to 4 people/site. Full shade.

hmmm.. I assume "tent only" means hammock friendly? As a Hike in site, I'd really like to avoid having to carry in 2x 2x4 hammy stands.

Trying to figure out if I should wait and see if anyone backs out on the main list

raiffnuke
09-06-2013, 19:43
hmmm.. I assume "tent only" means hammock friendly? As a Hike in site, I'd really like to avoid having to carry in 2x 2x4 hammy stands.

Trying to figure out if I should wait and see if anyone backs out on the main list

Fromm experience, the campground is hammock friendly.

Nighthauk
09-06-2013, 20:01
[email protected] and I plan to go look at the site tomorrow sometime. I can check on open spots to see if they are good for hammocks.

We are also planning on taking a look at D.A.R state park's group site in Goshen Ma as well tomorrow. Will give a report of our findings.

sunshower
09-06-2013, 20:11
are we staying at group site 2, 3, or 4?

hk2001
09-06-2013, 20:19
[email protected] and I plan to go look at the site tomorrow sometime. I can check on open spots to see if they are good for hammocks.

We are also planning on taking a look at D.A.R state park's group site in Goshen Ma as well tomorrow. Will give a report of our findings.

Please check on CF-18, and the surrounding sites.. they all appear to be open that weekend, and I'm on the phone with my hiking partner right now, neither of us want to blindly reserve a site, and be stuck going to ground :(

genegene
09-06-2013, 21:28
:thumbup1: :thumbup: Just an FYI for the Group :thumbup::thumbup1:

The DCR regional office has taken notice of us hammockers.

I came into work today and let my boss know that I might be a little late on the 21st as I wanted to go up and see everyone in Mohawk that is part of this hammock group that I have camped with.

He was surprised that I knew it was going on as I did not put in for the time off ahead of time. He has also heard people talking about it within DCR.

As of right now, all talk has been good so keep up the good work everyone.

Nighthauk
09-06-2013, 22:48
Genegene just out if curiosity what has been talked About the group. Is it just the novelty of the hammocks or how we conduct ourselves?

SkyPainter
09-07-2013, 09:51
Genegene just out if curiosity what has been talked About the group. Is it just the novelty of the hammocks or how we conduct ourselves?

====> It might have to do with really unusual food smells and maybe Bagpipes playing. Or the fact that we clean the sites better than we found them. Or hammocks. Naahhh... Gotta be the Bagpipes.

~ SkyPainter

Nighthauk
09-07-2013, 15:15
[email protected] and I went to the park where NEHHA is in a couple of week...Holy Cow, Only TWO weeks away. Yeah Buddy. I digress, sorry, So we checked out the site and we talked to the managers, they gave us a little flexibility in our numbers so that we will take all the current listed people in site. So all seven people who are listed as waiting are now in. Come all down. With that said it will be a little tight but I am sure we can work it out. As to the other sites, we checked those out too. Every site that we saw could take around 3 hammocks each. So if you want to get your own site and come up for the festivities that would work.

Now for Parking: we found out that we can only HAVE 10 cars parked at Group Site 1, which is our site, over night. There is additional parking down the hill and I will offer my Suburban up as chauffeur. You can drive up to the site drop off all of your gear and then we can park it down the hill.

We also took a look at the D.A.R (Daughters of The American Revolution) state park in Goshen, Ma group site. I believe that this will be a great quiver in our arsenal for camp sites. Mulitiple bathrooms, spread out a little more, and we can have around 70 or so people. Parking is a little tricky but definitely doable. It is also year round but with snow it is about a 2 mile road hike in as they do not plow it. A great place with good hiking trails, a pond to swim or fish at, and rangers we've been told pretty much leave you alone.

Lastly I want to make sure we have enough food for the potlucks if you can please post on the spread sheet what you are bringing so that we can have a great assortment of food for every taste. Thanks for the help on this.
So all in all a lot of great news.

Yukon
09-07-2013, 15:22
I'm not a cook, but will bring some ingredients. Bacon, hamburger? Just let me know what to pick up on the way...

cosmic camper
09-07-2013, 15:48
Hey all!

I'm Brian, listed with CountryRoads on the sign up sheet - this is my first ever post :) and I couldn't be more psyched about this gathering. Browsing the forums has been an (introductory) education and a pleasure, I'm looking forward to meeting such cool people!

- Cosmic Camper

P.s. - CountryRoads and I will be meeting up to talk potluck in the next week or so - one of us will post our plans for fare ASAP. At last count CountryRoads was thinking cheesey potatos and possibly some sandwich fixings, since we have the luxury!

Nighthauk
09-07-2013, 18:26
Looking forward to meeting the two of you as well.

Dutch
09-07-2013, 18:36
I'm not a cook, but will bring some ingredients. Bacon, hamburger? Just let me know what to pick up on the way...

I am a cook and I will have a nice grill.

Also I removed my guest from the list. Hopefully it opens up room for someone else.

G...Hawk
09-07-2013, 19:00
So all seven people who are listed as waiting are now in.

Good ! ! !

Nighthauk,

I will pm my car info in the next few days.

Thanks for your efforts.

G

hk2001
09-09-2013, 14:00
What's the lows average at around the hang at the end of September?

Nighthauk
09-09-2013, 14:06
We will probably be looking at low to mid 40's.

JollyGreen
09-09-2013, 14:10
We will probably be looking at low to mid 40's.

Sleeping weather, Nighthauk don't forget the doughnuts!

Nighthauk
09-09-2013, 14:12
Is that a request or demand. :D have a few other things planned.

Suede
09-09-2013, 15:32
Sleeping weather, Nighthauk don't forget the doughnuts!

I'm not a doughnut eater normally but those were outrageous!:boggle:

09-09-2013, 17:38
What's the lows average at around the hang at the end of September?

Good question. Expect mid forties but be prepared for mid thirties. Here's some historical data from Wunderground-

Record: 80 | 33
Average: 69 | 46
Mean Temperature 60 °F

2012 Actual-Average-Record
Max 71 °F 68 °F 82 °F (1998)
Min 50 °F 45 °F 33 °F (2010)

JollyGreen
09-09-2013, 18:02
Is that a request or demand. :D have a few other things planned.55339

Like this.....

JollyGreen
09-09-2013, 18:04
Is that a request or demand. :D have a few other things planned.

Or this......

Yukon
09-09-2013, 18:08
Oh man, I'm gonna come home a couple pounds heavier lol

Better hit the bicycle twice as hard that week :D

Yukon
09-09-2013, 18:08
I am a cook and I will have a nice grill.

Also I removed my guest from the list. Hopefully it opens up room for someone else.

Hmmm, lets camp near each other then hehehe

Pretbek
09-09-2013, 19:01
I'm very late to the party and I understand it is full, but I certainly want to come!
I signed up on the wait list, if that makes any impression.

Is there anyone who successfully reserved an individual site and wouldn't mind sharing?

Nighthauk
09-09-2013, 19:25
Pretbek come on down. We are still within the limit they gave me on Saturday. So we will see you on Friday by the looks of it.

Nighthauk
09-09-2013, 19:32
Hey folks as we are coming closer to the hang, it would very helpful for everyone to go to the spreadsheet update any new info and add things that you will be bringing. Whether it is food or equipment I want to make sure that we have everything that we need. I know of few of you can outfit an entire army with what you carry in your truck *cough, Skypainter, Cough*. With that said as far as food is concerned it helps when you write down what you are bringing so we an have a wide spread of food. I KNOW THERE WILL BE ENOUGH, iI just like variety. Thanks for you help on this.

Tim

hk2001
09-09-2013, 19:53
I'm thinking about bringing a pasta salad or something like that.. no idea if it'll keep from friday night into saturday though.. I am so not a chef, my outdoor cooking experience involves an alchy stove or a jet boil... and some form of rice or pasta :lol:
So please make sure the allergy stuff is correct on the signup sheet.

If anyone coming needs a hammock, please say something ahead of time, I've got a few extras in various stages of completion, and a fronkey style net or 2 around here somewhere if they're needed.

Pretbek
09-09-2013, 20:44
Pretbek come on down. We are still within the limit they gave me on Saturday. So we will see you on Friday by the looks of it.

Awesome.

Concerning food: I will come on a motorcycle and thus a bit short on space.
Any ideas what I could bring that doesn't require a sidecar to haul it? Syrup and canned strawberries for Dutch's pancake feast maybe?

Stargaze
09-09-2013, 21:15
11 days to go. Who is getting excited other than us ? Did i hear doughnuts being mentioned for this trip too? Yeah baby!!!!!!!. Cant wait to catch up with old friends. Does anyone know if our German friend Christoph is going to make it?

Nighthauk
09-09-2013, 21:43
I haven't heard from. Christoph since the last hang.

Boy I see nobody liked my doughnuts. Lol

JollyGreen
09-09-2013, 22:03
I haven't heard from. Christoph since the last hang.

Boy I see nobody liked my doughnuts. Lol

Scroll up a bit, I added a few pics of Nighthauk cooking thse same doughnuts

SilvrSurfr
09-09-2013, 22:12
11 days to go. Who is getting excited other than us ? Did i hear doughnuts being mentioned for this trip too? Yeah baby!!!!!!!. Cant wait to catch up with old friends. Does anyone know if our German friend Christoph is going to make it?

I speak German - I can pose as a stand-in for Christoph. Just tell me what kind of costume I should wear to bear a passing resemblance.

Stargaze
09-09-2013, 22:13
Does anyone have the address to the hang?

Stargaze
09-09-2013, 22:16
I speak German - I can pose as a stand-in for Christoph. Just tell me what kind of costume I should wear to bear a passing resemblance.

I will get back to you on what to wear. Get your cameras out people you wont want to miss this hehehehehehe

Nighthauk
09-09-2013, 22:16
Scroll up a bit, I added a few pics of Nighthauk cooking thse same doughnuts I was joking.

You have to bring a couple of pounds or TRUE german chocolate. Then I will except you as a good stand in.

There is a link right at the top of the sign up spreadsheet.

hk2001
09-10-2013, 06:37

Getting There:
From the east: Follow Route 2 West to the western end of the Town of Charlemont. The park is on the right.
From the west: Route 2 East to Charlemont. The park is on the left at the bottom of a steep grade.
Campground Address:
175 Mohawk Trail / Route 2 - P.O. Box 7
Charlemont, MA

Campground Phone Number:
413-339-5504
Please use Cold River Rd for your GPS

From the website.

Which group site are we at, and are there fees (so I know to have cash on hand)?

Nighthauk
09-10-2013, 06:41
There shouldn't be in fees that I am aware of. Though just incase I would bring some for parking. I don't think there will be a charge but I am not positive.

Suede
09-10-2013, 06:53

Like this.....

Hmmm.. I recognize that guy lurking in the background waiting to pounce on those doughnuts. :D

sunshower
09-10-2013, 08:18
Fried doughnuts?! I'm so in.

09-10-2013, 08:50
Getting There:
From the east: Follow Route 2 West to the western end of the Town of Charlemont. The park is on the right.
From the west: Route 2 East to Charlemont. The park is on the left at the bottom of a steep grade.
Campground Address:
175 Mohawk Trail / Route 2 - P.O. Box 7
Charlemont, MA

Campground Phone Number:
413-339-5504
Please use Cold River Rd for your GPS

From the website.

Which group site are we at, and are there fees (so I know to have cash on hand)?

FYI When you go through Charlemont and you see the 30 MPH sign go 30 and not 34. Ask NightHauk about this :laugh: