PDA

View Full Version : the mid tenn hangout was a blast

neo
03-18-2007, 15:17
--------------------------

Just Jeff
03-18-2007, 16:32
Good pics, neo...thanks for posting. Sounds like y'all had a great time - I wish it was closer so I could have gone.

Just Jeff
03-18-2007, 16:42
Yeah - bet we'll convert her before long...resistance is futile.

Ewker
03-18-2007, 20:33
here is my pics from the trip.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558239931EfIpoH

I survived the night :) . I had a 1/4" ccf pad and my therm-a-rest. I used my 15° as a quilt and it did ok. I didn't get cold but then again I have no idea what the temps were. Sometime during the night the bag ended up under me with the zipper on top. I went ahead and zipped it up until I had to go water the trees. I did manage to flip/roll/fall out of the hammock during the night :eek: . I keep sliding most of the night. My feet would end up in the area where the end was tied off. I would push myself forward trying toget back to the other end of the hammock. I tried to pull the pads up also. This morning all of the pads were pushed down to the foot end of the hammock. I don't have a clue as to why this kept happening:confused:
In all honesty this was probably my worst night of sleep ever :( . When I got up my back was hurting from the way I slept?

I will try it again and see if I can change anything. Heck if we all stopped going camping or backpacking because we had problems no one would be out there again :p

Just Jeff
03-18-2007, 20:36
Sounds like your feet should be hung higher...that would solve most of the problem. Wrestling with the pads won't go away until you get rid of the pads, but a SPE or two-layer hammock would help.

But try hanging your feet 6" higher next time and see if it helps.

Ewker
03-18-2007, 21:24
I was using a SPE. I had both pads in it and some on the sides. They still slid around. It felt like my feet were way above my head already.

attroll
03-18-2007, 21:29
Man, sometimes I wish I was closer to the south so I could attend things like this. But I will not give up this great state of Maine. It looks like you had a good showing and a good time.

Hooch
03-18-2007, 22:07
Neo, sound like you guys had a good time and the pics seem to prove it. Glad you all had fun! I hope to able to join you guys some time. I'm jsut a few hours away in central Kentucky, so I may try to plan attentding your fall hangout. I'll look forward to it!

NCPatrick
03-19-2007, 06:42
Great pics Neo. Thanks for posting them.

Ewker
03-19-2007, 07:57
Glad you liked that pic. I was glad it didn't come out blurry.

Neo, Thanks for putting this together. I had a good time

Jeff, my therm-a-rest is 72" long. It was coming out over the edge of the hammock which caused (or so it seemed) my feet to be higher.

headchange4u
03-19-2007, 08:37
Sorry I missed this one. I would have liked to be there.

Ewker I'm glad you finally got to sleep in a hammock but I'm sorry your first time was not a great experience. Don't give up on hammocks!

Neo,

Looks like you were gettin' down in that one pic. :)

NCPatrick
03-19-2007, 08:56
I hope your new April date will not be the same weekend as next year's SEHHA Hot Springs hangout. April is filling up. I'm guessing they'll be a week apart?

When will the Octoberfest hangout be? Thanks.

Ewker
03-19-2007, 09:11
Ewker I'm glad you finally got to sleep in a hammock but I'm sorry your first time was not a great experience. Don't give up on hammocks!
Neo,

Looks like you were gettin' down in that one pic. :)

Headchange 4u, The hammock I have is the one off Sportsmanguide. I already ripped the netting. It probably happened when I was getting in the hammock and I sat on the netting pulling it from the tie-outs

I laid in Neo's hammock and needless to say there is a lot of difference between the 2 hammocks. I can tell his was a lot sturdier and also longer. I wonder if mine is to short. Even when my feet were against the end of the hammock I didn't have that much room above my head..maybe 18" and it was going uphill. I will try again and see what happens.

I just didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a hammock and not like it.

Yeah Neo and Rocksee were some dancing fools :cool:

BillyBob58
03-19-2007, 14:11
I was using a SPE. I had both pads in it and some on the sides. They still slid around. It felt like my feet were way above my head already.

Well, sounds like I missed a good one! I'll have to put my sights on Octoberfest!

Ewker, I'm surprised to hear you slid around on the SPE, and that you already had the foot hung higher! I haven't had any trouble with a full length ridgerest plus thermarest 3/4 ultralight selfinflate. And I had the same problems sliding down my first night out, with the hammock hung level. The next night the foot went higher and no more trouble. You may just have to hang it(the foot) even higher. But reading your further posts, that full length thermarest (selfinflating?) combined with maybe a too short hammock, might be your problem. My full length ridgerest will curve more or less to the shape of the hammock so my feet stay somewhat low. I'm thinking a selfinflator might not. Of couse, most of the time I don't need a pad, cause the supershelter takes me to the low 30s or lower.

Hana Hanger
03-19-2007, 14:29
Maybe if I win a lottery or Publishers Clearing House...I can come next time as well as to Trail Days!
Enjoyed all the photos...Thank you for sharing.

neo
03-19-2007, 14:29
neo's set up
tom claytor jungle hammock $70.00
12 x 12 guide gear camo tarp $40.00
trimmed down old military pad $3.90
camo parka sleeping bag $20.00
guide gear sleeping bag $25.00
oversized snakeskins(made by our own headchange4u)a gift thanks jason
neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=648&catid=member&imageuser=11

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=665&catid=member&imageuser=11

Ewker
03-19-2007, 14:49
Ewker, I'm surprised to hear you slid around on the SPE, and that you already had the foot hung higher! I haven't had any trouble with a full length ridgerest plus thermarest 3/4 ultralight selfinflate. And I had the same problems sliding down my first night out, with the hammock hung level. The next night the foot went higher and no more trouble. You may just have to hang it(the foot) even higher. But reading your further posts, that full length thermarest (selfinflating?) combined with maybe a too short hammock, might be your problem. My full length ridgerest will curve more or less to the shape of the hammock so my feet stay somewhat low. I'm thinking a selfinflator might not. Of couse, most of the time I don't need a pad, cause the supershelter takes me to the low 30s or lower.

I also have an Insul Max Mat that I may try. It is mummy shape at the foot end so it might stay in the hammock better.

I think the self inflating Therm-a-rest was just to wide and wouldn't stay/form to the inside the hammock. Neo thought it might have to much air in it which is why it kept popping out

I can speak for other hammocks but when I would turn on my side (facing out of the hammock) that side of the hammock was only 4-6 high. My face would be higher than the side. Is this normal or should the side be higher?

FanaticFringer
03-19-2007, 14:54
neo's set up
neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=648&catid=member&imageuser=11

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=665&catid=member&imageuser=11

I've got the 9X9 Neo tarp. I'm thinking of getting the 12X12 cause it looks kinda like a stealth bomber over your hammock.:D

slowhike
03-19-2007, 14:57
ewker, if you can come to the hot springs camp out, i'll bet we could set you up w/ a hammock that's plenty long, properly insulated & hung right... then see what happens:cool:

slowhike
03-19-2007, 14:59
Maybe if I win a lottery or Publishers Clearing House...I can come next time as well as to Trail Days!
Enjoyed all the photos...Thank you for sharing.

or... if we had that much money, maybe we could come hammock on your palm trees:)

headchange4u
03-19-2007, 15:09
Ewker,

I would also be willing to let you use my Hennessy UL Backpacker if you want. I will be using my HH clone. I got extra pads and everything. I'm sure we could set up up nice.

I found it a little odd that you actually fell out of the hammock. I have never even been close to tipping over in any of the hammocks I have tried.

blackbishop351
03-19-2007, 15:12
I've got the 9X9 Neo tarp. I'm thinking of getting the 12X12 cause it looks kinda like a stealth bomber over your hammock.:D

You have a BlackCat...all else is immaterial! :p

Ewker
03-19-2007, 15:22
ewker, if you can come to the hot springs camp out, i'll bet we could set you up w/ a hammock that's plenty long, properly insulated & hung right... then see what happens:cool:

slowhike, I can't make that. I will be finishing up my AT section hike either Friday 13 or Sat 14 then I have to head back to Nashville so my hiking partner can catch a flight Sunday

slowhike
03-19-2007, 19:42
slowhike, I can't make that. I will be finishing up my AT section hike either Friday 13 or Sat 14 then I have to head back to Nashville so my hiking partner can catch a flight Sunday

there should be another chance to get together w/ some of us again soon.
what about trail days in damascus, va?

Hooch
03-20-2007, 00:57
neo's set up
neo

Getting a good chuckle while other people sleep on the ground.....Priceless

Ewker
03-20-2007, 08:01
there should be another chance to get together w/ some of us again soon.
what about trail days in damascus, va?

I will be at Trail Days. Just not sure where I will be camping or with whom. I may camp with folks from WB or TT of HF.

If we could ever get you NC folks to travel :eek: :rolleyes: we could do something at Red River Gorge.

tnhillbilly
03-20-2007, 12:45
Hey gang, just wanted to say thanks for treating me and my wife so good when we came to visit you. All you guys were great, answering my questions and teaching me a lot about hammock camping. Each one of you took time to talk to us and let us check out your rigs and I thank you so much. I suffered no ill health effects from the visit and I'm still recovering well from my surgery. I too am looking forward to future hangings and plan to particapate when possible. Thanks again to all you hammockers, your good people. Tnhillbilly

Bird Dog
03-20-2007, 12:54
I will be at Trail Days. Just not sure where I will be camping or with whom. I may camp with folks from WB or TT of HF.

If we could ever get you NC folks to travel :eek: :rolleyes: we could do something at Red River Gorge.

Im from NC and I travel all of the time. Ill see you at Trail Days. BD

neo
03-20-2007, 13:50
-------------------------------------------

slowhike
03-20-2007, 14:39

i would love to check out RRG. the only hold back is not having time off from work, so most of my trips right now have to be one night unless it's close enough to drive to after work on fri:confused:
but i remember checking out the route to RRG when we were considering it before. it's a pretty good drive for that time frame, but maybe i could make something work.
on trail days, we'll have plenty hammocks that you can at least lay in for a while... maybe even take a nap. and we could plan to have an extra one so that if you wanted to sleep in one you could.
you could go from hammock to hammock... this one's to short... this one's to long... AHHH just right!!! kinda like Goldie locks:D

Ewker
03-20-2007, 14:57
slowhike, I have driven from Nashville to Ocala, Fl for a weekend hike on the Florida Trail ...makes for a long drive home but well worth it.

It takes me about 4-5 hrs to get to RRG from Nashville.

NCPatrick
03-20-2007, 14:59
I calculated a little over 6 hours from my house to RRG.

headchange4u
03-20-2007, 15:05
I am trying to plan a trip to the RRG.

Details. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=755)

Coffee
03-20-2007, 23:33
Hot Springs is 5 hrs from Cincy, you guys should make it to our part of the country sometime.

Hooch
03-21-2007, 00:51

I live a little less than an hour from the Gorge, I'll vote for that! :D

Hooch
03-21-2007, 00:58
i would love to check out RRG. the only hold back is not having time off from work, so most of my trips right now have to be one night unless it's close enough to drive to after work on fri:confused:
but i remember checking out the route to RRG when we were considering it before. it's a pretty good drive for that time frame, but maybe i could make something work.
on trail days, we'll have plenty hammocks that you can at least lay in for a while... maybe even take a nap. and we could plan to have an extra one so that if you wanted to sleep in one you could.
you could go from hammock to hammock... this one's to short... this one's to long... AHHH just right!!! kinda like Goldie locks:D

Tim, if you ever want to come up and go to RRG with us, you can leave your truck here in Lexington at my place and ride with me to the Gorge. It's a standing invitation, so don't be shy about it.

slowhike
03-21-2007, 08:52
Tim, if you ever want to come up and go to RRG with us, you can leave your truck here in Lexington at my place and ride with me to the Gorge. It's a standing invitation, so don't be shy about it.

thanks. i may take you up on that.

Ewker
03-27-2007, 08:48
I had a guy post a comment on my Webshot pictures asking about my hammock setup. I responded back and told him to come here and ask away.

attroll
03-27-2007, 12:59
I had a guy post a comment on my Webshot pictures asking about my hammock setup. I responded back and told him to come here and ask away.
Cool, the more people we can answer questions to the more we will convert.