PDA

View Full Version : TN/Nashville/Bear Island/June 21-23

hangnout
06-17-2013, 20:00
Rumor has it that there will be some hammocks hanging on Bear Island (Percy Priest Lake) this weekend. Great place just to chill out and hang. Some are coming by boat and others by kayak. Lots of trees, hot weather, and cold beverages:) (legal on islands) guaranteed.

Nothing formal, just show up and hang for a night or two if you want.

ftroop94
06-17-2013, 20:14
Rumor has it that there will be some hammocks hanging on Bear Island (Percy Priest Lake) this weekend. Great place just to chill out and hang. Some are coming by boat and others by kayak. Lots of trees, hot weather, and cold beverages:) (legal on islands) guaranteed.

Nothing formal, just show up and hang for a night or two if you want.

Like.............!!!!!!!

Rain Man
06-17-2013, 21:33
I'll be backpacking in the mountains of North Carolina, but will be conflicted.

Bear Island is not a small place. Might be good to post which campsite or which end or side of the island?

Rain Man

hangnout
06-17-2013, 21:53
I'll be backpacking in the mountains of North Carolina, but will be conflicted.

Bear Island is not a small place. Might be good to post which campsite or which end or side of the island?

Rain Man

I did 3 days in the TN/NC mountains this past weekend and caught some great weather especially at elevation. We hope to be on the south end of the island across from Raccoon Island but will take what we can get.

Ewker
06-17-2013, 22:10
Wish we could make it but we will be in Memphis

ragnall
06-18-2013, 09:32
I am working Saturday, but if I get out on time I will try to get out there.

We will see how I do running the gauntlet with all of the speed boats out Sat. afternoon/evening. Kayak vs. any other boat is not very good odds.

Ragnall

neo
06-18-2013, 09:56
:)i will be out of town with my wife this weekend :cool:neo

Ewker
06-18-2013, 10:20

wife??? when did you two get married

MedicineMan
06-18-2013, 10:53
Congratulations Neo :)
Wish it wasn't my work week :(

neo
06-18-2013, 11:08
:)i am not married lol.we just act like it so i call her my wife lol:cool:neo

hangnout
06-18-2013, 13:12
Wish we could make it but we will be in Memphis

Memphis:eek: I am sorry :D

I am working Saturday, but if I get out on time I will try to get out there.

We will see how I do running the gauntlet with all of the speed boats out Sat. afternoon/evening. Kayak vs. any other boat is not very good odds.

Ragnall

It is just like playing Frogger

See you in August for sure. I will probably sneak over to the island for an overnight or 2 befor then.

Congratulations Neo :)
Wish it wasn't my work week :(

I wish I could make the Greenbrier trip so we are even:)

ragnall
06-18-2013, 13:49
It is just like playing Frogger

That's a good way to look at it. Too bad I was never very good at that game. At least that could make for some entertainment for those already on the island.

Ragnall

Ewker
06-18-2013, 16:07

we are staying at the Talbot Heirs which is a couple of blocks from Beale St so we should have some fun
http://www.talbotheirs.com/

ftroop94
06-18-2013, 19:13

I literally laughed out loud at that!!!

I agree with the old wise man's proverb; the best view of Memphis is in the rear view mirror...

hangnout
06-19-2013, 20:06
That looks pretty good for Memphis. Have fun.

we are staying at the Talbot Heirs which is a couple of blocks from Beale St so we should have some fun
http://www.talbotheirs.com/

MedicineMan
06-19-2013, 22:28
....and there's Mud Island and the Jungle Room. I think Mempis has a lot to offer.

Rain Man
06-20-2013, 07:52
I agree with the old wise man's proverb; the best view of Memphis is in the rear view mirror...

Now, now. Wife and I lived in Memphis for 6 years and started our family there. It's where I went to law school. We made lots of friends and Memphis has lots to offer, just as any city, ... such as flying cock roaches the size of bats and mosquitoes that carry off small pets. :lol:

Rain Man

spamburglar
06-20-2013, 19:12
I am already packed for this and plan to arrive early tomorrow afternoon. After 2 solid months with no piney woods I am way past due for some hammock time and a good cold beverage or two or more:D Looking forward to seeing everyone there

spamburglar
06-20-2013, 19:15
Now, now. Wife and I lived in Memphis for 6 years and started our family there. It's where I went to law school. We made lots of friends and Memphis has lots to offer, just as any city, ... such as flying cock roaches the size of bats and mosquitoes that carry off small pets. :lol:

Rain Man

Wish you could make it. I dont think I have seen you since our trip to the Mast General Store. Not sure if I should thank you for introducing me to that place or not. LOL Yet another place to empty my wallet:lol:

Grapenut
06-21-2013, 06:39
I am in! I will get there later in the afternoon since I have to drive the length of Alabama to get there. BTW, spamburglar...I'll bring my Element stove and you can run some burns in it to help you on your quest to find the perfect wood burning stove.

See you there.

G-Nut :shades:

ftroop94
06-23-2013, 15:04

A shot of the ninja turtle (aka Spamburgler) jumping from Hole in the Wall this weekend!!!

A great time with Rayn, Hangnout, Grapenut, Ragnall and Spammy!

Rain Man
06-24-2013, 08:18
Wish you could make it. I dont think I have seen you since our trip to the Mast General Store. Not sure if I should thank you for introducing me to that place or not. LOL Yet another place to empty my wallet:lol:

I can't help it! Wife and I even visited the original 1900s Mast General Store in Valle Crucis, NC last month the weekend of Trail Days. What a neat place! And it'll empty your wallet even faster. :scared:

Seeing that photo of you leaping from the cliff into the lake ALMOST makes me sad I didn't make it, though I had a GREAT time in the Citico Creek Wilderness this weekend, hiking with a Nashville friend and Tipi Walter. I'm definitely going back to that place.

Today, I head to Bear Island to camp tonight with Neo. :boggle:

Rain Man

spamburglar
06-24-2013, 09:55
I can't help it! Wife and I even visited the original 1900s Mast General Store in Valle Crucis, NC last month the weekend of Trail Days. What a neat place! And it'll empty your wallet even faster. :scared:

Seeing that photo of you leaping from the cliff into the lake ALMOST makes me sad I didn't make it, though I had a GREAT time in the Citico Creek Wilderness this weekend, hiking with a Nashville friend and Tipi Walter. I'm definitely going back to that place.

Today, I head to Bear Island to camp tonight with Neo. :boggle:

Rain Man

We missed you for sure. good times were had by all. I have to admit though, when I climbed to the top I realized that as I have aged my inner daredevil has diminished. It took a good 10 minutes AFTER I caught my breath from the climb up to finally take the plunge. To anybody who might want to try this at home just take my advice...keep your legs closed! the water sure hits the nethers hard from that height lol Hope to see you again soon

neo
06-24-2013, 15:56
Me and rain man are camping on bear island this evening .:cool:neo

hangnout
06-24-2013, 18:30
...Today, I head to Bear Island to camp tonight with Neo. :boggle:

Rain Man

Me and rain man are camping on bear island this evening .:cool:neo

If we had known you were going today we would have left some trail magic. We did clean the place up some for you.

Video of our trip posted is posted in the Trip Reports (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1033492#post1033492)

neo
06-25-2013, 13:35
If we had known you were going today we would have left some trail magic. We did clean the place up some for you.

Video of our trip posted is posted in the Trip Reports (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1033492#post1033492)

We stayed at my favorite site last night straight across from the beach.I mainly use the site you guys stayed at for group hangouts.:cool:neo