PDA

View Full Version : Northern Utah / Aug 1-3 / Help me pick a spot

MuseJr
06-17-2013, 23:09
I have the first weekend in Aug available and I would like to get together with some folks. Help me pick a location in northern UT and let's see if we can get a few people that missed out on the trip down south. (Of course those of you that made the trip south are also more than welcome to join me again.) ;)

Here are some random suggestions.
Washington or Trial lakes with hikes to Wall, clyde or Twin Lakes. (Campgrounds with hiking options.)
Trout Creek (Wilderness area by the ladders at Strawberry)
Flaming Gorge (Anywhere, but I would prefer the area below the dam. I would like to fish in the aquarium again.)
Anything closer to the SLC valley or maybe Cache valley that you would like to visit???

I'm open to suggestions...

pgibson
06-17-2013, 23:18
Man that would be a tough one...That's the start of Insanity month. Afraid I will miss it.

MuseJr
06-18-2013, 15:14
I'm busy from now until July 14th and scout camp is July 22-27. That pretty much makes those dates the first available, unless I sneak out for a night. That wouldn't be good for a group hang, but it might help my sanity. ;)

Utah
06-18-2013, 15:35
Anywhere up Mirror Lake Highway is always good. Might see less traffic if you drive down Skyline south of US6. The Swell will be dead empty that time of year, but it's not exactly strong on shade (or places to hang!).

MuseJr
06-23-2013, 22:21
I'm spending the last week of July at Steiner and I'll likely hike to Ruth, Kamas and other lakes in the area with some scouts.

I'm leaning towards the Green and possibly doing a float trip on Thursday. Anybody else up for a float on the Green?

OdieGreen
06-25-2013, 09:16
I will be at Steiner from July 17th through the 20th. I have tickets to see Rush on July 31st and have already taken August 1st off. I should have just enough time off saved to take the 2nd as well. That sounds like a great weekend. If you guys don't mind coming out west. South Willow canyon in Grantsville is beautiful. I havent been there to hang so I will have to scout it out first. I am totally down for that weekend!

OdieGreen
06-25-2013, 12:18
Man that would be a tough one...That's the start of Insanity month. Afraid I will miss it.

What is insanity month?

OdieGreen
06-26-2013, 10:53
I just got approved for August 2nd off!. So my son and I will be attending for sure!

MuseJr
06-27-2013, 20:18
If you guys don't mind coming out west. South Willow canyon in Grantsville is beautiful. I havent been there to hang so I will have to scout it out first. I am totally down for that weekend!

I can do Grantsville that weekend. I might be flying solo, but I'm not sure. Check out an area and let me know what you come up with. Day hikes, fishing and general lolly gagging are all ok with me. ;)

OdieGreen
06-28-2013, 13:35
I can do Grantsville that weekend. I might be flying solo, but I'm not sure. Check out an area and let me know what you come up with. Day hikes, fishing and general lolly gagging are all ok with me. ;)

Im going out with my son tonight. We are going to tryout the hammocks I finished last night. This will be my first night hanging so wish me luck. I was planning on going to Middle or Settlement but maybe I will head up to South Willow instead to check out the trees.

South Willow has the Deseret Peak loop which I am told is a nice hike. I haven't been in good enough shape to do it yet but I am getting there.

jerhangin11
06-28-2013, 23:32
Odie I hope that you can't respond to this quickly because you are having such a good time on your first hang (which I hope is going well :)), but how is the fishing at South Willow lake? I'm not sure if I can come yet since my wife will be 8 months pregnant, but I'd love to go with you guys! I just might have to wait till we get a little closer.

OdieGreen
06-29-2013, 09:33
Odie I hope that you can't respond to this quickly because you are having such a good time on your first hang (which I hope is going well :)), but how is the fishing at South Willow lake? I'm not sure if I can come yet since my wife will be 8 months pregnant, but I'd love to go with you guys! I just might have to wait till we get a little closer.

Interesting you should ask that. I was wondering that myself. I will ask around. It its about a 3.5 hour hike based on the tooele county website.

jerhangin11
06-29-2013, 09:46
Interesting you should ask that. I was wondering that myself. I will ask around. It its about a 3.5 hour hike based on the tooele county website.

Perfect! I looked at a few websites and it didn't say anything about fishing at the lake so it got the wheels spinning, a lake with no fishing! :scared:

OdieGreen
06-30-2013, 20:35
Perfect! I looked at a few websites and it didn't say anything about fishing at the lake so it got the wheels spinning, a lake with no fishing! :scared:

Here is the only link I have been able to find about South Willow Lake and it doesn't even know what kind of fish, if any, it has.

http://www.hookandbullet.com/fishing-south-willow-lake-grantsville-ut/

OdieGreen
07-02-2013, 12:12

Good News: I did find out about South Willow Camping fishing
Bad News, I can't go that weekend. I have a work party that my family is invited to at Lagoon, that my kids wont let us miss, on the 2nd. Is there another weekend we can go? I really want to do this.

I called wildlife services and there are NO fish in South Willow lake. The stream that runs along the campgrounds is stocked with rainbows and browns. Here is information. The upper narrows is the only campsite in South Willow Canyon, besides the Boy Scout Campground, that can be reserved. There is room for about 40 people I belive.

Location: Three miles from the U.S. Forest Service boundary in South Willow Canyon. Due to rugged access, RV’s are not recommended.
Elevation and season: 6,920 ft. Late May through mid October (weather permitting)
Facilities: Eight campsites with six tables and five fire rings. Each site can hold eight people and one vehicle. Vault toilet, but no water or garbage service. Trash must be packed out.
Reservations: Upper Narrows Campground can be reserved as a group site. Call (877) 444-6777 or see www.ReserveUSA.com
Availability: Check in 2 p.m.; check out 1 p.m. No access 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Maximum stay seven days. Fee: $10 per day per site; $30 – $55 per day for entire campground.
Restrictions: Dogs must be leashed in camp and picnic areas. Fires in rings only and bring own firewood.
How to get there: From Grantsville’s Main Street, turn south on Cooley Street and proceed for five miles on Mormon Trail Road to South Willow Canyon turn-off. Turn right onto canyon access road and continue for 6.3 miles to campground.

MuseJr
07-02-2013, 22:27
Does the weekend after work for you?
I can always go fish the aquarium that weekend and head west the next weekend.

jerhangin11
07-02-2013, 22:30
I still won't be sure till we get closer unfortunately, but I will do everything I can to come. So is everyone wanting to do a car camping trip then? I just have to say that I was in the Uintas this weekend and it was amazing! Just throwin it out there:)

OdieGreen
07-03-2013, 00:48
Car camping is definitely easier for me. I am still really new at this. The following weekend works for me. My wife would prefer we stay close as my car isn't super reliable. Upper narrows in south willow is booked through August. All the other campsites are first come first served. It is a really nice area. There are reportedly fish in the stream and some great hikes. Lots of trees too.

OdieGreen
07-07-2013, 23:00
Looks like I am definitely going up to South Willow lake the 2nd weekend in August. My buddy has an elk tag for up there there so we are going to scout it out for tracks. Anyone who wants to join us is welcome!

samjaynes
07-10-2013, 16:41
I was just up above Soapstone last week - great weather, rain during the night, bugs were there but were manageable.

One of four hammocks put up -

OdieGreen
07-12-2013, 11:17
I was just up above Soapstone last week - great weather, rain during the night, bugs were there but were manageable.

One of four hammocks put up -

Where is soapstone? That looks nice!

BillyBob58
07-12-2013, 15:53

Yap, that's what I was wondering!

You guys ever hike up to Christmas Meadow with I think it was Amethyst Lake? Or up West Fork Black's Fork past Mt.Beulah to Dead Horse lake? Nice country!

MuseJr
07-13-2013, 23:44
Sam - I will be a little farther up 150 the last week of this month. I have heard this was a bad bug year up there. I'm hoping it isn't as bad as I have heard. :eek:
Hiking in the Uintas is always a good trip, even if the skeeters are thick. I have three trips planned up there this year. If I can add more, I will... :)

You guys ever hike up to Christmas Meadow with I think it was Amethyst Lake? Or up West Fork Black's Fork past Mt.Beulah to Dead Horse lake? Nice country!
I have seen Amethyst Lake before. It has been a couple years though. I might have to go back again soon.

samjaynes
07-15-2013, 12:29

Soapstone is about 15 miles up Mirror Lake highway from Kamas, Utah. There are plenty of camping spots (around that area, from Shady Dell, Cobblerest, etc) if you want to stay in a improved spot, and head up Soapstone basin for off road areas. Please note that if you get in the off-road areas, there is often four-wheelers off in the logging roads. The Murdock basin turn off (Mile marker 21) is another option off road. Mile Marker 13 you can go up by Anderson Lake, and make your way to the backside of Trial Lake.

If you have time, the meadows up by Whitney Res is great. Moose, elk, deer migrate there often.

Sorry for the delay - I didnt subscribe to this thread.

samjaynes
07-15-2013, 12:31

Christmas Meadow is getting to close to the rental recreational areas - therefore a little too noisy for my liking.

OdieGreen
07-17-2013, 11:15
Soapstone is about 15 miles up Mirror Lake highway from Kamas, Utah. There are plenty of camping spots (around that area, from Shady Dell, Cobblerest, etc) if you want to stay in a improved spot, and head up Soapstone basin for off road areas. Please note that if you get in the off-road areas, there is often four-wheelers off in the logging roads. The Murdock basin turn off (Mile marker 21) is another option off road. Mile Marker 13 you can go up by Anderson Lake, and make your way to the backside of Trial Lake.

If you have time, the meadows up by Whitney Res is great. Moose, elk, deer migrate there often.

Sorry for the delay - I didnt subscribe to this thread.

I'll be up in that neck of the woods for the next 4 days. I head up to camp steiner this afternoon. Our camp is just a few hundred feet from pearl lake. I'll be out there fishing tomorrow morning!

OdieGreen
07-23-2013, 22:51
Man was that an awesome trip. My boy went up a couple days before me with his scout troop. He setup his hammock and tarps all by himself. I couldn't be prouder. When it rained on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, he was the driest and warmest in the camp.

I forgot to take pictures of our hammocks but it was one of the best camping trips I have ever been on, even with the first day of torrential downpours.

OdieGreen
07-23-2013, 22:53

Passed right by Soapstone on my way to and from Steiner. Beautiful country up there.

samjaynes
07-24-2013, 09:34
Passed right by Soapstone on my way to and from Steiner. Beautiful country up there.

Good to hear - Soapstone pass is a beautiful drive off road through tall trees and open meadows with sunflowers. Lots of moose and deer graze there. The same is for the road out to Whitney.

Just need to get those stupid bettles out of the area - loosing too many trees.

OdieGreen
07-25-2013, 08:52
Good to hear - Soapstone pass is a beautiful drive off road through tall trees and open meadows with sunflowers. Lots of moose and deer graze there. The same is for the road out to Whitney.

Just need to get those stupid bettles out of the area - loosing too many trees.

We saw a herd of mountain goats on our way home. Pretty cool!

BikerDad
08-04-2013, 22:11
Stillwater Campground, on 150 between Bear River Lodge (or is it Inn???) and Mirror Lake. Hung there last night... didn't see any other hammocks. Nice place, seems like there were a LOT of nice options along the Mirror Lakes Scenic Byway.