PDA

View Full Version : 106" zipper for $10 from Ozark Trails fleece bag

Just Jeff
03-18-2007, 17:15
But I just got an Ozark Trail brand fleece bag from Walmart for under $10. It has a 106" tooth zipper with two pulls in the standard sleeping bag style. Flip the sliders around and it'll work just like the TravelPod. Only separates on one end if you leave the stops on the end, but you can make it separate if you take the stops off and are careful not to lose a slider.

(Zipper discussion from Headchange's DIY HH thread. I was describing an inexpensive long zipper that can open in the middle, anywhere along the zipper, and still separate. For pics of this, see my TravelPod (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTravelPod.html).)

I just removed the zipper from the bag today and flipped the sliders around. This brand is different from the Coleman zipper. It doesn't have the receiver at the separating end to hold the feeds together. Not a huge issue but I'll have to make sure the end can't come apart when it's closed. Maybe I'll add a little drawstring just long enough to whip around the zipper's end when it's closed. Or a little velcro flap maybe.

Regardless, it's still a 106" zipper for $10 and Joker has already claimed the extra fleece for his bedroom. And if I didn't want to flip the sliders around, it would work just fine and still be a separating zipper.

Hrm...maybe I should just add an extra slider on there instead of the other stuff. More versatility and sliders don't weigh any more than a snot rocket. Time to experiment!

slowhike
03-19-2007, 21:48
a snot rocket???

headchange4u
03-19-2007, 22:31
That's where you plug one nostril and then you blow all the snot out the other nostril, protectile style. Points for distance and size. :)

Drives women crazy (in a bad way). :eek: ;)

Example (Not for squeamish) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCA18tv0jJc)

headchange4u
03-19-2007, 22:36
I would also like to say that the $10 Target Great Land brand sleeping bags have pretty nice zippers. About the same length as the Ozark Trails fleece bags with one double pull zipper and one single pull zipper. They are a poly fill bag. I plan on making an under quilt and a top quilt from 2 of the bags and I will probably leave one in my truck for use as a ground blanket.

slowhike
03-20-2007, 05:36
That's where you plug one nostril and then you blow all the snot out the other nostril, protectile style. Points for distance and size. :)

Drives women crazy (in a bad way). :eek: ;)

Example (Not for squeamish) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCA18tv0jJc)

oh yeah... i just hadn't herd it called that:rolleyes:

Frolicking Dino
03-20-2007, 05:54
:::: Female dino runs screaming from thread ::::

If a 100" zipper will work: http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82285&PRODID=47382&source=search

headchange4u
03-20-2007, 08:07
:::: Female dino runs screaming from thread ::::

Drives women crazy (in a bad way).

See what I mean.

If a 100" zipper will work: http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82285&PRODID=47382&source=search

That zipper would work, but at 10.99 it's still more expensive than a cheap sleeping bag or fleece bag and you still have the bag left to use for future projects.

Coffee
03-20-2007, 08:53
I can see a lot of cheap undequilts in your guys' future.

Just Jeff
03-20-2007, 16:59
That zipper would work, but at 10.99 it's still more expensive than a cheap sleeping bag or fleece bag and you still have the bag left to use for future projects.

True - but if you don't need the fleece, this will save the 15-20 minutes of seam ripping.

But 100" might be a bit short for a TravelPod. Would probably work great for a mosquito net though.

sparkysko
03-20-2007, 19:07
True - but if you don't need the fleece, this will save the 15-20 minutes of seam ripping.

I had an old coleman bag, one of the seams was already undone for about an inch or so, so I just grabbed it and pulled. Seperated the entire zipper this way. Took me about a minute. The zipper fabric is so thick, none of it tore.

headchange4u
03-21-2007, 08:55
I can remove a zipper in a couple of minutes with the standard seam ripper. I have had quite a bit of practice lately:rolleyes: .

Redtail
03-21-2007, 10:15
HC4U - If you do end up making an underquilt from the leftover sleeping bag materials please post the result, I was thinking of doing the same thing myself with an old bag I have.
Thanks!
-Redtail

Just Jeff
03-21-2007, 16:57
Search Whiteblaze for threads by Patrick. He turned his TNF bag into an underquilt and it worked fine...then he started making KAQs.

headchange4u
03-21-2007, 17:01
How would you sew a sleeping bag? Do you just sew straight through the insulation and then cut unneeded portions off or do you need to cut and remove insulation to make a hemmed edge?

slowhike
03-21-2007, 17:23
How would you sew a sleeping bag? Do you just sew straight through the insulation and then cut unneeded portions off or do you need to cut and remove insulation to make a hemmed edge?

my take on that is if you're using down, aggressively shake the down away from the edge to be sewn, sew, cut away the excess, then fold & hem the edge.
i haven't done that w/ a synthetic bag yet but i'd suppose you would sew where you want the new edge to be, then cut away the excess, leaving a couple inches. then you could remove the exposed insulation, fold & hem the new edge.

blackbishop351
03-21-2007, 19:16

When I made my cut-down top quilt, I cut the bag where I wanted, leaving the outer shell about an inch bigger all the way around than the insulation and inner shell. Then I rolled a hem in the outer shell, folded it under to cover the edge of the insulation, and stitched through all layers.

Coffee
03-21-2007, 21:15
When I made my cut-down top quilt, I cut the bag where I wanted, leaving the outer shell about an inch bigger all the way around than the insulation and inner shell. Then I rolled a hem in the outer shell, folded it under to cover the edge of the insulation, and stitched through all layers.

That's how I did mine. There are some pics of it in my gallery.