PDA

View Full Version : college station bryan area

wylie_coyote
06-18-2013, 20:33
Hi Guys

This is probably not the best place for this but I figured this was a more regional question then General.

Not my area of the US. I will be interviewing at Texas A&M shortly for a position. So I was wondering what advice about the area people could offer in general. Surrounding areas too.
I have wife and 4 kids so all info is welcome.

Thanks

Caveman
06-19-2013, 07:20
Not sure exactly what you are wanting to know, but IT'S HOT! Be sure and take measures to stay cool. You won't be too far from the Sam Houston National Forrest area. The Lone Star Hiking Trail is there. It's a pretty flat trail, but some nice country all the same.

wylie_coyote
06-19-2013, 07:47
Thanks Caveman. You are right I should be a little more specific.
What is the whole area like?
Are people nice
How are schools
What is there to do

Stuff like that. If we are considering moving there I would like input on the area as a place to live.

Thanks

Caveman
06-19-2013, 08:25
People here are pretty friendly (for the most part). I've lived here my whole life, so I don't really know any different, but I've talked to friends that have moved here that said it took a while to get used to people actually talking to each other. Do be freaked out if someone says hello at the gas station or in the line at the grocery store.

Being that A&M has one of the few Vet programs around, you will probably have quite a diverse bunch. You won't be too far from Austin, so you will have plenty to keep you busy.

I'm sure some others will chime in, but I like it here just fine. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

oldgringo
06-19-2013, 08:26
Uncle MJM lives in College Station. He's your guy.

oldgringo
06-19-2013, 08:28
Oh, one thing: College Station ain't Boulder, Madison, or Berkley.:D

rhjanes
06-19-2013, 08:36
Caveman meant "do NOT be freaked out". People in Texas are very friendly. I lived all over growing up (military brat). texas people are among the nicest. It is a LARGE state, very diverse. Mountains, deserts, piney woods, beaches. Trick is, EVERYTHING takes a while to get to, due to size. Like, from Texarkana Texas, to El Paso, is 900 miles. a LONG day's drive. Bryan-College Station, I've got no real knowledge of. That area has some deep history (Texas Land Grant, Spanish influence). It is big college town, so diverse. Suggest you pick up some used Texas Highway's magazines for tons of information about the state "to do".
Oh, and we also tell all the rude people "Yep, everything in Texas sticks, stings, bites. Trantulas, rattle snakes, brown recluse spiders, black widows, scorpions are considered pets. We have two seasons, January and Summer. The BBQ is terrible. There are oil and gas wells everywhere. you might wake up one morning and some driller is drilling a new well in your driveway. The average IQ is 86. Everyone carries a gun. We all know aliens are real, we just call them the Marfa Lights." I could go on, but you get the point.....

rhjanes
06-19-2013, 08:38
Oh, one thing: College Station ain't Boulder, Madison, or Berkley.:DIt is FOOTBALL and the Aggie's. talk about traditions.....:eek:

wylie_coyote
06-19-2013, 08:49
Thanks Guys for the input. Keep opinions coming good or bad.

Oh, and we also tell all the rude people "Yep, everything in Texas sticks, stings, bites. Trantulas, rattle snakes, brown recluse spiders, black widows, scorpions are considered pets. We have two seasons, January and Summer. The BBQ is terrible. There are oil and gas wells everywhere. you might wake up one morning and some driller is drilling a new well in your driveway. The average IQ is 86. Everyone carries a gun. We all know aliens are real, we just call them the Marfa Lights." I could go on, but you get the point.....

Sounds like our kind of place kids can have more pets, and we may not be the dumbest ones on the block anymore:)

I will probably be down in July for an interview, they are still trying to get everything lined up. So I will get to experience the heat and compare it to here and Florida where we used to live.

Caveman
06-19-2013, 09:01
Well.... just come down on the weekend of the 19th and you can come by the ButtBake. (although I'm not sure that will leave you with the best impression) :)

UncleMJM
06-19-2013, 09:46
Uncle MJM lives in College Station. He's your guy.

I'm an Aggie who graduated, moved away and then when the opportunity to move back arose, I jumped on it and have not looked back. My wife is a school teacher. My kids went through all their school years here. My parents, who have lived all over and are retired military, picked this community to retire.

PM me when you know your schedule and we can grab a cup of coffee and talk about the place while you are in town if you like.

Oh, one thing: College Station ain't Boulder, Madison, or Berkley.:D

... and although I love Dave, my brother to the left and north, that's what drew me here. :laugh:

It is a diverse community though with both red and blue bumper stickers, academic folks, red necks, ethnic/international diversity, tree huggers, 2 or 3 hippies, and the occasional smart aleck. It has much of what large cities have in a more condensed form, (whatever that means :unsure:)

Thanks Guys for the input. Keep opinions coming good or bad.

Sounds like our kind of place kids can have more pets, and we may not be the dumbest ones on the block anymore:)

I will probably be down in July for an interview, they are still trying to get everything lined up. So I will get to experience the heat and compare it to here and Florida where we used to live.

Good schools.

Lot's of good restaurants paid for by parents of students and enjoyed between semesters by the locals.

Excellent and still growing medical facilities.

Any "big city" features that are not here are within a reasonable drive - (about 90 minutes to Houston, 2 hours to Austin, 3 hours to Dallas or San Antonio). The beach is less than 2 1/2 hours south and the piney woods w/in an hour east.

Rush hour is from 5:00-5:20PM.

You are already used to heat and humidity coming from Florida so for that you should feel right at home.

Biggest negative is for some allergy sufferers. B/CS is located in the Brazos River "valley" and the combination of humidity and lower land where pollen seems to settle can be tough for some.

The next challenge for some is driving anywhere around campus in the fall on game days when the population of the community doubles.

UncleMJM
06-19-2013, 09:53
It is FOOTBALL and the Aggie's. talk about traditions.....:eek:

Whoop! :thumbup:

sargevining
06-19-2013, 12:47
It is a diverse community though with both red and blue bumper stickers, academic folks, red necks, ethnic/international diversity, tree huggers, 2 or 3 hippies, and the occasional smart aleck.

You rang?

wylie_coyote
06-19-2013, 13:50
Thanks UncleMJM for responding and the offer. Sounds similar to here Athens GA = BullDAWGS Football.

Rush hour is probably a little shorter here I think to about 5:15. But forget going out on a home saturday game.

Cyngbaeld
08-01-2013, 11:20
Just get used to living on Texas time and you'll be fine. Nobody ever seems to get in a hurry around here.

sparkygeek
08-01-2013, 13:32
You've probably already interviewed by now but I thought I'd let you know that if you're interested in finding the
tree huggers, 2 or 3 hippies, as UncleMJM said and don't want to drive to Austin, College Station's next door neighbor Bryan is a pretty nice place.

There is a small downtown that is a little more granola than College Station. Good locally owned food, an outdoor movie theater, music venues that play more than just country. Nothing wrong with country, it just caters to live bands of other genres. Second Saturday happens there combined with ArtWalk, good for families too.