PDA

View Full Version : My new Blackbird XLC

Rilmoigan
06-23-2013, 18:29
I received my Blackbird XLC (ordered on May 10th) this past Monday (June 17th). I have tried it out in my front yard where optimally spaced trees just aren't available and there's too much undergrowth and/or WATER elsewhere on my property.

Soooo, I went over to Tinny's this morning, since he wanted to see and try the XLC (he's quite happy with his WB Ridge-runner and Spindrift sock, thank you very much -it too is VERY comfortable and well-made) and since the subject material was too good to pass up, shot a video of the XLC in all three modes of operation (Overcover on, traveller-mode, and bugnet on.

Other than Brandon's video to introduce the XLC, I haven't really seen anything that went into to much detail or depth regarding the XLC so here is our stab at it...

Hope this provides a bit more insight; even if it doesn't, it was fun to shoot. Although the XLC is sooo comfortable and easy to dial-in, if the trees are spaced right (approx. 15 feet, just like with the standard 10' Blackbird) that I was seriously fighting the 'sleep, now' impulse while I was in it.

So, without further ado...

gzDrLDnMI9s

dragon360
06-23-2013, 18:45
Can't see the video yet but looking forward to it - hope to see Tinny as well!

canoe
06-23-2013, 21:15
nice work!!!!!!

Spartan
06-23-2013, 21:48
Great video, and a good visual of the rig. Awesome.

MedicineMan
06-23-2013, 21:59
Will watch first thing when I get off work. Thanks for posting. I wanted more info on this model. Can't think of anything better than hanging one in Maine :)

Basie
06-23-2013, 23:04
As a tall-ish guy, loving the XLC. I ordered mine without the solid top... do you think you'll see much use of that? I can always get one later, but I figured the bug net would be more useful. I've spent one night in it in 'Traveller' configuration (rigged indoors) and it was just fine apart from repeatedly losing my pillow over the side... apparently I'm a restless sleeper!

coolkayaker1
06-23-2013, 23:27
I enjoyed your video, Robert. Always nice to see you and Tinny together.

I'm just tweaking out my Warbonnet arsenal--I have the original BBird and a Traveler with the Bug Net (which I love!), and now have on order a WB Superfly tarp.

Nice to learn about the XLC model....thanks for sharing.

Steve:)

Rilmoigan
06-24-2013, 05:41
As a tall-ish guy, loving the XLC. I ordered mine without the solid top... do you think you'll see much use of that? I can always get one later, but I figured the bug net would be more useful.

Where I live, if you want to camp in late Fall into early Spring, then the over cover is a very good idea; it gets cold early on here and the over cover can give you an extra 5-10 degrees of warmth.

Basie
06-24-2013, 19:49
Where I live, if you want to camp in late Fall into early Spring, then the over cover is a very good idea; it gets cold early on here and the over cover can give you an extra 5-10 degrees of warmth.

Have you found condensation to be a problem with the nylon that close to your face?

Cranky Bear
06-24-2013, 20:02
Rilmoigan thanks for the video look into your new acquisition, looked mighty comfy.

Copenhagen69
06-24-2013, 20:05
very nice ... I want to get the XLC to get rid of the ridge in the original