PDA

View Full Version : VA, 3rd Annual Grayson Highlands Fall Festival, Sept 27-30

Rockdawg69
06-24-2013, 18:02
Welcome all to the 3rd Annual Fall Festival Hang at Grayson Highlands State Park, Virginia. This begins the official planning thread. If you have not attended before, the Fall Festival is mountain music, crafts, old time living history activities, and LAST but not LEAST, the annual pony sale from the Grayson Highlands/ Mt Rogers area. The park has graciously provided the group camp site at no cost to HF members again. For that privilege, we provide hammock demonstrations on Saturday during the festival. Bring your extra stuff and help explain how we rock!!!!

Depending on how many folks attend, we may have a RAFFLE again this year from which we donate proceeds to the Friends of Grayson Highland State Park.

Once a few folks get on board, we will set up an attendees list and begin the food planning. Don't miss the great cooking and fellowship. Also, this year the Park has let us camp through Sunday night if anyone is interested in staying over until Monday.

LD Cakes pray for sunshine this year.

Update: Here's two Google Docs sheets for Attendees and Meal planning:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmeaZave7qe2dDVfZ1hDaFNyTnZ5UkhPR1hfUmNlU UE
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmeaZave7qe2dHZlMjNfVGxjMmliYnFRcGVXUTBra kE

XTrekker
06-24-2013, 18:17
Definitely interested in going to this. Subscribed to thread.

gunner76
06-24-2013, 19:15
Hope to attend. Made the first 2.

Talked to a Ranger last year who told us about a person who bought one of the ponies and transported the pony home in their car, yes in the car....I would hate to see the inside of that car after that trip.

Ewker
06-24-2013, 21:24
well I may try to make this one since I have had to bail on the others. Rockdawg maybe just maybe you might get your chair back since you won't come to Tn

Rockdawg69
06-24-2013, 21:31
well I may try to make this one since I have had to bail on the others. Rockdawg maybe just maybe you might get your chair back since you won't come to Tn

Not "won't", "could not". Hey, thought about heading over to Meriwether just for a night one weekend - its only an hour from here. let you guys know if I can find a Saturday.

headed to John Rock hang in Pisgah on 12 July for weekend - at least that is the current plan.

Rockdawg69
06-24-2013, 21:33

Talked to a Ranger last year who told us about a person who bought one of the ponies and transported the pony home in their car, yes in the car....I would hate to see the inside of that car after that trip.

Great Gunner. Hope you and wife can make it.
Wonder who was holding the pony on their lap in the backseat???? :lol:

Rockdawg69
06-24-2013, 21:34
Definitely interested in going to this. Subscribed to thread.

Hope you can make it over.

Ewker
06-24-2013, 22:52
Not "won't", "could not". Hey, thought about heading over to Meriwether just for a night one weekend - its only an hour from here. let you guys know if I can find a Saturday.

I am hoping to go somewhere over July 4th but normally any Saturday after hamhocker gets off work is good (1 or 2PM)...she is due a night in the woods

shoot me a PM on when you will be there

slowhike
06-26-2013, 14:36
I've been slow to weigh in because of working nights & weekends, but I'm going to try my best to be there & help in any way I can.
We've had some great times there. Always enjoyed it.

Here are the "Report Threads" from 2011 & 2012.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60233&highlight=Highlands+Fall+Festival

and 2011
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39643&highlight=Highlands+Fall+Festival

Hope to see y'all there. Tim

Bonepile
06-26-2013, 15:40
Hope you can make it Tim. The hang there last year was my first and I really appreciated the help you and the rest of the group gave me as a NOOB. I was hooked on hammocks after that. I will be attending this year if at all possible.

Gqgeek81
06-26-2013, 16:05
Where is the group site at?

Don Morgan
06-26-2013, 18:27
Please reply with more details about this event. I am a hammock camper for the past five years and really enjoy meeting new people in various states for their local and regional hangs. Hope to hear from you.

Rockdawg69
06-26-2013, 20:29
Where is the group site at?

Once you enter Grayson Highlands State Park, the second paved road to the right leads to the campground. Group site is immediately past the country store. Parking adjacent to left of store and in front of restrooms and at the hikers parking lot just after turn off to campground. If you are coming, when you get to the park entrance station, let them know you are with the Hammock Forums group - no cost to camp.

If others need driving directions, we'll post the two most common routes a little closer to the date.

Rockdawg69
06-26-2013, 20:45
Please reply with more details about this event. I am a hammock camper for the past five years and really enjoy meeting new people in various states for their local and regional hangs. Hope to hear from you.

Look at Slowhike's post #9 for reports from last 2 years. Pics are buried in reports. This event started when Slowhike had an idea that the fall festival would be a good hang. He was right.
Friday is setup day. Tarp goes up - 20'x40'. 4 tables aligned. Cook gear laid out for saturday breakfast. Group cook for breakfast - several cooks and much food. Clean up. Send crew to Festival grounds to set up hammock displays and man site for demonstrations. Rotate folks all day. Go to festival for music and old time mountain living events. Many craft vendors on site. Go by Pony pen to check out ponies for sale Saturday afternoon. Bring trailer if buying pony. Go hiking in Grayson Highland, Mt Rogers, etc. Buy crafts, sit and listen to bluegrass and mountain music all day, watch apple butter cooking, blacksmith, molasses cooking, b-b-q for lunch. Sit and rest. Cooks start Saturday evening meal. Dinner by 6-6:30. Big camp fire. RAFFLE we hope. More music - we have pickers in the group sometimes. Dead tired - Hammock bliss. Sunday fix your own breakfast. tear down by noon. Visit festival again - goes to late Sunday. Go hike. THIS year - stay over until Monday at no charge.

Anybody else got something I missed, please add.

Don Morgan
06-26-2013, 20:50
Hope to see you all there.

Rooster
06-27-2013, 12:51
Pudden and I hope to attend this year.

Loki
06-27-2013, 18:09
Really enjoyed meeting everyone there last fall. What a beautiful place. Hope to make it this fall too.

Hickery
06-28-2013, 06:35
Had fun last year.Pony wouldn't fit in a Celica!

Rockdawg69
06-28-2013, 09:25
Hope you can make it.

Really enjoyed meeting everyone there last fall. What a beautiful place. Hope to make it this fall too.
Glad you are planning. Good job last year.

Buy a smaller pony:lol::lol:

Hope to see you all there.
Will be looking forward to meeting another new face. Come prepared to have an enjoyable weekend - provided it doesn't rain - again!

alienjenn
06-28-2013, 09:30
Eeek! If my schedule pattern holds it looks like I'm off that weekend... the kids and I would love to demonstrate how we hammock...

I'll have to Google this path and figure out where it is :)

alienjenn
06-28-2013, 09:34
My GPS tells me this is 3.5 hrs from me... totally doable... and I have been wanting to explore mute near there (we've done the Virginia creeper trail... which if I'm reading my map correctly is in the same general area...)

My next question would be... are kids welcomed/tolerated (they are all teenagers)

Rockdawg69
06-28-2013, 20:12
My GPS tells me this is 3.5 hrs from me... totally doable... and I have been wanting to explore mute near there (we've done the Virginia creeper trail... which if I'm reading my map correctly is in the same general area...)

My next question would be... are kids welcomed/tolerated (they are all teenagers)

We are family friendly on HF. Bring them. Plenty of things for them to do AND they can learn a few things. We usually have families at this event.
You may want to bring day packs and go hike in the highlands to see the ponies, as well as the views.

alienjenn
06-28-2013, 22:29
Awesome! I'll definitely put it on my list then :)

slowhike
06-30-2013, 23:54
This is beginning to sound exciting.... again!
I'm going to do all I can to be there for the full weekend. It will be great to see old friends & meet some more!

Unmighty
07-01-2013, 13:41
I am try and attend this!

dirtwheels
07-02-2013, 20:32

https://www.facebook.com/groups/274380669329657/

There's a group hang planned for July 19-21 in Sesqui, check out the facebook group for more info.

Rockdawg69
07-03-2013, 18:52

Hey Gunner,

Remember last year we talked about making some posters? Did you ever get a chance to ask Dejoha about using his schematics as posters with appropriate acknowledgments? I can get them made if we can get permission.
I am thinking we need a couple more simple posters somewhat like Slow Hike mentioned - more like a power point presentation but in words that describe the hammock benefits, etc.

Everyone Else,

does anyone have a pop-up canopy for use at the demo area at the festival grounds?

Home Run
07-05-2013, 11:39
HeyRockdawg!

Don't let Hickery fool ya....he was up on Wilburn Ridge at the Mt. Rogers Winter Hang. Next thing I know he's a hollerin' "Whoa buddy!" That pony was a buckin' and Hickery was givin' it all she was worth! One glove and countin' to eight!

After the flurry of snow had settled, them two sat there snuggled together eatin' pickled okra and pork brains.....a match made in Heaven.

....He'll be bringin' the red truck.

Hope to see ya at Grayson!

Home Run

slowhike
07-06-2013, 12:42
Hey Gunner,

Remember last year we talked about making some posters? Did you ever get a chance to ask Dejoha about using his schematics as posters with appropriate acknowledgments? I can get them made if we can get permission.
I am thinking we need a couple more simple posters somewhat like Slow Hike mentioned - more like a power point presentation but in words that describe the hammock benefits, etc.

Everyone Else,

does anyone have a pop-up canopy for use at the demo area at the festival grounds?
Posters would be a really good idea. For instance, several people asked if we were just camping there for the festival.
We had the big Hammock Forums banner out front but that just said that we were an organized group. It wasn't enough to let people know "Why" we had hammocks set up there.

We talked to some of the folks letting them know that we were demonstrating all the useful aspects of the modern hammock & had quite a bit of interest. Some walked on by with out knowing why we were there.
And some folks you're not sure if they want to know or not:scared:

So I think the one of the most important additions would be a poster letting people know that we are there to let them see an alternative to sleeping on the ground.
Needs to be protected from possible rain showers in one way or another.

I think having basic info posters at some of the hammocks would be helpful too. The might give the hammock type (gathered end, bridge, etc), weight, cost, etc.

And a canopy would be great. Maybe even a somewhat larger tarp (10 x 20 ?) were we & guest could hang out & talk if we get rain shower during the demo.

One of us should contact Derek/Dejoha & see if he would have time & interest in helping with some posters.

Doctari
07-06-2013, 13:24
Is penciled in: depends on work schedule for "real job". As things will be just starting for volunteer job, not sure I can put that off, but I REALLY want to give to what seems on it's way to being (has become?) "Our Park" :D

I got a little bit of "extra" stuff so can prolly set that up if I can go.

7 hour drive for me, but to see Grayson again is well worth the drive!

Rockdawg69
07-06-2013, 16:45
Posters would be a really good idea. For instance, several people asked if we were just camping there for the festival.

One of us should contact Derek/Dejoha & see if he would have time & interest in helping with some posters.

Tim,

See attached brain drop for an example. I'll have my graphics pro do the colors and amenities to look sharp - be sharp - not on the rocks, root, cones, and hills SHARP - picture of comfort:D

Anyone else got some poster ideas - Jump Right In (kudos to Zac Brown Band).

I'll send a PM to Derek soon if Gunner doesn't respond soon.

Rockdawg69
07-06-2013, 16:50
HeyRockdawg!

Don't let Hickery fool ya....he was up on Wilburn Ridge at the Mt. Rogers Winter Hang. Next thing I know he's a hollerin' "Whoa buddy!" That pony was a buckin' and Hickery was givin' it all she was worth! One glove and countin' to eight!

After the flurry of snow had settled, them two sat there snuggled together eatin' pickled okra and pork brains.....a match made in Heaven.

Home Run

Is penciled in: depends on work schedule for "real job". As things will be just starting for volunteer job, not sure I can put that off, but I REALLY want to give to what seems on it's way to being (has become?) "Our Park" :D

Hope to see you both.

HR, you got any more good food ideas - bring them on.

Doctori, what size truck you bringing to carry the "extra" stuff? Hickery may need "extra" help with the ponies.

Hickery
07-06-2013, 16:51
HeyRockdawg!

Home Run

I was skeared ! Yall was all reaching for your cameras rather than rescuing olde Hickery . Reckon that will teach me to keep a fruitcake in my pocket. That was a really fun hike.

slowhike
07-06-2013, 17:32

Sure hope you & the others can make it. Don't guess I've ever seen you when you weren't thinking about snow shoes & pulks:D

gunner76
07-06-2013, 17:34
Dejoha said to let us know which artwork we wanted to use.

I don't know if me and wife can make it this year as we are planning a trip to visit daughter and grand kids in Tulsa late Sept/Oct.

I have been working on a fabric / rope book with samples of different weights of rip stop and lines/rope like amsteel and Zig it. Figured it would be something worth bringing to all the hangs for new hangers and old timers alike to be able to check out.

slowhike
07-06-2013, 17:36
Tim,

See attached brain drop for an example. I'll have my graphics pro do the colors and amenities to look sharp - be sharp - not on the rocks, root, cones, and hills SHARP - picture of comfort:D

Anyone else got some poster ideas - Jump Right In (kudos to Zac Brown Band).

I'll send a PM to Derek soon if Gunner doesn't respond soon.
I like it Rockdawg.

slowhike
07-06-2013, 17:43

I don't know if me and wife can make it this year as we are planning a trip to visit daughter and grand kids in Tulsa late Sept/Oct.

I have been working on a fabric / rope book with samples of different weights of rip stop and lines/rope like amsteel and Zig it. Figured it would be something worth bringing to all the hangs for new hangers and old timers alike to be able to check out.
I think the labeled fabrics & cords would be really helpful for anyone that wants to see something they've been reading about for up close & personal comparisons.

Another thought on the main poster that clue everyone in on what we are there for....

For your pleasure
A more comfortable way to camp year round
Sit, eat & sleep at chair height, snug as a bug in a rug

Rockdawg69
07-06-2013, 20:07
I think the labeled fabrics & cords would be really helpful for anyone that wants to see something they've been reading about for up close & personal comparisons.

Another thought on the main poster that clue everyone in on what we are there for....

For your pleasure
A more comfortable way to camp year round
Sit, eat & sleep at chair height, snug as a bug in a rug

I like it.

Also, should we mention that we support the park :

Supporters of Grayson Highlands State Park
Friends of Grayson.

Hickery
07-06-2013, 20:14
I would say so.We've given back alot off the raffles .Hope we can stay a part of that community.

Rockdawg69
07-06-2013, 20:24

Come on. Be good to see ya'll again.

slowhike
07-07-2013, 14:52
I like it.

Also, should we mention that we support the park :

Supporters of Grayson Highlands State Park
Friends of Grayson.

For sure.
Just another thought. I like signs that use two or more size letters... for instance....

FOR YOUR PLEASURE
A MORE COMFORTABLE WAY TO CAMP YEAR ROUND
SIT, EAT & SLEEP AT CHAIR HEIGHT, SUNG AS A BUG
Supporters of FRIEND OF GRAYSON HIGHLANDS STATE PARK

I think something like that makes the basic message clear as people approach. Actually, I've noticed that because people are approaching from two directions, having two of these "basic info/introduction" signs would be best. Maybe similar in size to the HF banners.
Maybe two HF banners as well, if they are available.
Somewhat smaller signs could accompany some of the hammocks (especially 2 or 3 of those closest to the pathway) giving more basic info.

Rockdawg69
07-07-2013, 20:22
I'm working on a layout for descriptions to be posted at each demo site. Once I get it decent, I'll send it for review. Trying to be concise and simple here. Something we can do with a marker at the site, written on a piece of foam core maybe.

Rockdawg69
07-07-2013, 20:41

Gunner,
Hope you and Missus can make it but we understand family comes first.

Ask Dejoha for his thoughts on which art work would work best for a couple of posters to demonstrate hammock concepts to the non-hammocking public. No more than 2 we think. If he can forward PDF files we can have them made into posters -2' x 3' or something on that order. Once we have graphics folks convert to posters, we can return those new files for his use. All his art work will carry appropriate acknowledgement of his work. Posters can be used by other HF hangs if them need them, much like the big HF banner we use.

slowhike
07-08-2013, 09:53
I'm working on a layout for descriptions to be posted at each demo site. Once I get it decent, I'll send it for review. Trying to be concise and simple here. Something we can do with a marker at the site, written on a piece of foam core maybe.
Sounds good. Foam core would work nicely.

L.D. Cakes
07-09-2013, 12:47
I'll be on the Nantahala this year leading a paddling trip for my club. But hope you guys have a successful demonstration & hang. It's GAF and I've missed it two years in a row to attend this hang. There's not enough time for everything I wanna do!:jj:

slowhike
07-09-2013, 17:32
I'll be on the Nantahala this year leading a paddling trip for my club. But hope you guys have a successful demonstration & hang. It's GAF and I've missed it two years in a row to attend this hang. There's not enough time for everything I wanna do!:jj:
You sure will be missed Little Debbie.

Rockdawg69
07-09-2013, 20:53

"....missing you...."
Paddle strong Cakes.

Rockdawg69
07-21-2013, 08:55
Time to begin putting words, names, and actions to "paper", so to speak.
Jump Right In if you are coming or thinking about coming.
Attendees List
Meal Planning
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmeaZave7qe2dDVfZ1hDaFNyTnZ5UkhPR1hfUmNlU UE
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmeaZave7qe2dHZlMjNfVGxjMmliYnFRcGVXUTBra kE

Ewker
07-21-2013, 22:55
you can take me off the list. I have a high school reunion that weekend...yes they had high schools back then

Rockdawg69
07-22-2013, 20:44
you can take me off the list. I have a high school reunion that weekend...yes they had high schools back then

One room or two rooms????:lol:
Going to miss you and Hamhocker again. Maybe Meriwether Lewis in a couple of weeks???

Ewker
07-22-2013, 21:35
One room or two rooms????:lol:
Going to miss you and Hamhocker again. Maybe Meriwether Lewis in a couple of weeks???

more than two :D

we may be up for it. It would be Sat afternoon before we could head down. PM me and let me know when you are going. I can talk to her and see what she thinks

pumkinpete
07-26-2013, 12:16
You can count me in

slowhike
07-26-2013, 12:44
You can count me in
Look forward to seeing you there.

Silverpalm2x
07-30-2013, 13:28
look at # 16 (http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/absolutely-essential-diagrams-you-need-for-camping) for the presentations?

slowhike
07-30-2013, 15:58
look at # 16 (http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/absolutely-essential-diagrams-you-need-for-camping) for the presentations?
Cool. I hope Peggy Wang got permission from Derek first:)

Silverpalm2x
07-31-2013, 17:42
not sure @slowhike but he tweeted it out so he did not seem too upset. I think that if we talked to him he would share or suggest his best choices for the festival. I don't think we have to present all the choices for hammocks just a brief overview. you know?

Gumbo
07-31-2013, 18:31
I hope you guys have a great hang! It's not in the cards this year to Timberrr and me because it will be our busiest time of the year at work. Next year though is a different story, hopefully we will make it back then.

We have fond memories of the First Grayson Highlands Hang, and I need to make more of an effort to see my friends that live and hammock there.

Rockdawg69
07-31-2013, 19:10
I hope you guys have a great hang! It's not in the cards this year to Timberrr and me because it will be our busiest time of the year at work. Next year though is a different story, hopefully we will make it back then.

We have fond memories of the First Grayson Highlands Hang, and I need to make more of an effort to see my friends that live and hammock there.

I'm making Jambalaya - cajun sausage and chicken. :)
Going to miss you guys :(.

Gumbo
07-31-2013, 22:05
I'm making Jambalaya - cajun sausage and chicken. :)
Going to miss you guys :(.

Yum!:boggle::boggle:

With Rockdawg as chef, you guys are sure to be well fed!

slowhike
08-01-2013, 23:05
not sure @slowhike but he tweeted it out so he did not seem too upset. I think that if we talked to him he would share or suggest his best choices for the festival. I don't think we have to present all the choices for hammocks just a brief overview. you know?
I agree... just concentrate on the basics. That's plenty for most folks.

Yep, you guys were a great addition & help on that first Grayson County Fall Festival. You'll be missed until you return.
Hope to see y'all next year.

Uphill
08-04-2013, 13:24
I'm interested in attending this hang. I've hammock camped once so far, and that was solo the night before a long bike ride in NW Maryland.

Being that this would be my first group hang, what should I plan on bringing to contribute to the group?

slowhike
08-04-2013, 13:54
I'm interested in attending this hang. I've hammock camped once so far, and that was solo the night before a long bike ride in NW Maryland.

Being that this would be my first group hang, what should I plan on bringing to contribute to the group?
TedDen87, in post # 48 there are links to sign up sheets for attendance as well as what foods folks might want to bring to share.

BTW, I have requested that the links be added to the first post so they will be easy to find.

For the most part people will bring their own food with the exception of...
Sat morn group breakfast.
Sat lunch can be bought at the Fall Festival on Sat for those who choose.
And for those that don't have to leave early there is always a group to go to a near by restaurant (The Log Cabin) for Sunday brunch/lunch.

We have been in the habit of doing a group supper after the festival or one of the other meals but nothing has been started there yet.

We have traditionally held a raffle after the Sat evening meal but we've not approached that yet either. Items of various value have been donated by our HF vendors & by HF members.
We have in turn donated the proceeds to worthy causes such as GHSP & HF as well as covering some expenses that individuals have made to the group effort, but I've become concerned that our vendors may have become overwhelmed as more & more groups are having raffles & asking for donations.
We'll see how that plays out.

slowhike
08-04-2013, 14:07
Look at Slowhike's post #9 for reports from last 2 years. Pics are buried in reports. This event started when Slowhike had an idea that the fall festival would be a good hang. He was right.
Friday is setup day. Tarp goes up - 20'x40'. 4 tables aligned. Cook gear laid out for saturday breakfast. Group cook for breakfast - several cooks and much food. Clean up. Send crew to Festival grounds to set up hammock displays and man site for demonstrations. Rotate folks all day. Go to festival for music and old time mountain living events. Many craft vendors on site. Go by Pony pen to check out ponies for sale Saturday afternoon. Bring trailer if buying pony. Go hiking in Grayson Highland, Mt Rogers, etc. Buy crafts, sit and listen to bluegrass and mountain music all day, watch apple butter cooking, blacksmith, molasses cooking, b-b-q for lunch. Sit and rest. Cooks start Saturday evening meal. Dinner by 6-6:30. Big camp fire. RAFFLE we hope. More music - we have pickers in the group sometimes. Dead tired - Hammock bliss. Sunday fix your own breakfast. tear down by noon. Visit festival again - goes to late Sunday. Go hike. THIS year - stay over until Monday at no charge.

Anybody else got something I missed, please add.
I like how Rockdawg summarized it in this post.
There's a lot of fun to be had that weekend.

slowhike
08-04-2013, 15:33
More info...

Here is a little about the festival.
http://www.ghfallfestival.50megs.com/
And a link to GHSP
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/gra.shtml
Here's a link to the weather station at about 4000' elevation. I think the camp ground & Festival Area is closer to 5000'.
http://weather.graysonfriends.org/

Directions for anyone coming from or through the Winston-Salem, NC.

I40 to Hwy 421 north (in Winston-Salem).
Then take I77 north.

I believe it's about 10 miles up I77 to were you will see the 21 By Pass.
Don't be fooled by the many other signs you will see before then for old or business 21, which snakes back & forth across I77, as well as 421.
The 21 By Pass will be one of those less usual, double lane ramps that exit off to the LEFT (near Elkin).

Hwy 21 will take you directly through Sparta.
Might want to watch your speed & those orange lights. They have a reputation of increasing their revenue w/ the help of the "out of towners" that don't have time to slow down

A few miles on the north side of Sparta, you may notice that to stay on Hwy 21, you would need to take a right beside a gas station. But DO NOT.
Continue strait & you will then be on Hwy 221.

After another mile or so, take a right on Hwy 93.
This is a winding but scenic road through the mountain farm land.

After a while, you will come to a stop sign. Take a right to continue on Hwy 93.

Shortly after the signs say you have entered into Virginia, you will cross the New River & come to another stop sign.
Take a left onto Hwy 58.

Your next turn will be a left at a BP station which is also the Log House Restaurant.

About 20 minutes up the road, you will see the sign & entrance road for Grayson Highlands State Park on the right.

Here is a statement by Doctari in a planning thread from our first Fall Festival.
The Rangers & staff at GHSP have been exceptional. They went above & beyond the call of duty in accommodating us for the winter hangout!! This "Hammock Demonstration" would be a Great chance to pay back some of their generosity & a little pay it forward to next year's hangout.

slowhike
08-04-2013, 16:11
Fire wood & the Emerald Ash Borer
We will want to have a camp fire in the evenings. Gathering firewood is not allowed but some people still do it, so you might be hard pressed to find enough even if you tried.
But a few people always bring firewood (what ever amount they can bring) & it works just fine.

Important note: Emerald Ash Borer is a serious problem in our forests & they are working to minimize it's spreading. We sure don't want to introduce it into a beautiful place like GHSP.
So if you are one of those that might want to bring firewood, please check out the link below to see if it has been found your area.

Here is a link that gives current info on this pest.
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/map.cfm#sthash.zZzE7dKi.SDxJx7MJ.dpbs

visionarylion
08-04-2013, 19:46
The wife and I are planning on bringing the girls. I'm excited to attend the festival. I would like to pitch in for breakfast Sat morning, will prolly do my breakfast wraps, They seemed to go over pretty well at the smoked butt hang.

Rockdawg69
08-04-2013, 19:59
The wife and I are planning on bringing the girls. I'm excited to attend the festival. I would like to pitch in for breakfast Sat morning, will prolly do my breakfast wraps, They seemed to go over pretty well at the smoked butt hang.

Welcome. Glad to have new folks come enjoy the festival. Go to Post # 1 and add yourself and family to spreadsheets.

Don't remember exactly who, but another hanger is bringing their teenagers. More kids the better.

Uphill
08-04-2013, 20:13
Being the end of October, what do we expect the temps to be in that area?

Silverpalm2x
08-04-2013, 20:13

Hey I am probably bringing my kids to this one as well. I hope that our youngest does okay with hanging. His older sister has it down.

slowhike
08-04-2013, 20:18
Great! It'll be good to have y'all. And I'll bet those breakfast wraps be a winner in camp too.

slowhike
08-04-2013, 20:30
We'll be looking into the temps question some more & talking about it here but I don't think I remember it getting much below 50 degrees f.
Just going by memory right now though.

BTW, if anyone needs to borrow gear (hammocks, underquilt, topquilt, etc) someone will probably be glad to help out.

L.D. Cakes
08-05-2013, 07:16
You meant the end of September didn't you? The last couple of years it was pretty chilly at night and be prepared for rain. We have had a very wet season this year and by the end of Sept it's expected. ;)

Rockdawg69
08-05-2013, 20:31
You meant the end of September didn't you? The last couple of years it was pretty chilly at night and be prepared for rain. We have had a very wet season this year and by the end of Sept it's expected. ;)

No NO NO! Not the "R" word!

Hickery
08-05-2013, 21:23
It only rains at the winter hang .

Silverpalm2x
08-05-2013, 21:49
anyone have a lynx underquilt my wife might be able to use on her Ridgerunner?

Uphill
08-05-2013, 22:29
I'll be looking to hopefully borrow a uq for my eno doublenest if temps are going to be cool. The only insulation I have is my rei inflatable sleeping pad. Reading through this thread has got me excited for the hang!

slowhike
08-05-2013, 23:52
I have at least one underquilt that I'd be glad to let someone use but I can't say which of those hammocks they might fit.
It is a winter weight JRB Mt Rogers (I think). If it were to warm, you could probably hang it a little loose.
I may have another UQ... a DIY version, but lets see if any better offers show up.
One way or another we should be able to fix you up.
Here's how I improvised with a blanket from home to help a friend get a good nights sleep after a hard night on the ground.
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P9300028_thumb.jpg (https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1802&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=25&cutoffdate=-1)

revdarryl
08-06-2013, 06:40
Sounds like a great time-will keep this outing in mind.

Uphill
08-06-2013, 07:17

Yea, sorry. I'm also keeping track of the MAHHA fall hang thread, and they are talking October for that one.

Rockdawg69
08-06-2013, 18:21
I'll be looking to hopefully borrow a uq for my eno doublenest if temps are going to be cool. The only insulation I have is my rei inflatable sleeping pad. Reading through this thread has got me excited for the hang!

I'll be bringing a Nest and a Hudson River, along with my DIY stuff. Should be able to support at least one other hanger with a quilt.

Rockdawg69
08-17-2013, 18:34
About 6 weeks out to Grayson Highlands Fall Festival. New stuff this year for the hammock demonstration. More to follow when the graphics are finished.
Here is the easy one. Looking for folks to show their stuff!!!!!!

slowhike
08-18-2013, 13:41
Looking good Rockdawg!

A few thoughts about hammock demo set-ups...
It will be a a good idea to have a tarp over each demo hammock, even if it's left in skins most of the time.
Chances are we will get a rain shower during the demo time on Sat (9 or 10am until 5pm).

It might not be bad if there was one larger tarp (maybe 10 x 15?) that most of us could hang out under if it rains a while. We might even have a curious guest or two from the festival want to seek shelter & ask hammock questions.

Some people use the same hammock they are using in camp but it's simpler if you have an extra hammock/tarp set.
Either way, leave your gear (camp & demo) prepared for the chance of rain.

Rockdawg69
08-18-2013, 15:24
Looking good Rockdawg!

A few thoughts about hammock demo set-ups...
It will be a a good idea to have a tarp over each demo hammock, even if it's left in skins most of the time.
Chances are we will get a rain shower during the demo time on Sat (9 or 10am until 5pm).

It might not be bad if there was one larger tarp (maybe 10 x 15?) that most of us could hang out under if it rains a while. We might even have a curious guest or two from the festival want to seek shelter & ask hammock questions.

Some people use the same hammock they are using in camp but it's simpler if you have an extra hammock/tarp set.
Either way, leave your gear (camp & demo) prepared for the chance of rain.

Thinking about bringing a pop-up for the front end as a place to hang the posters. I'll see if I have another tarp I can bring. Will need some line for tie offs and at least one tall tent pole to set in the middle.

Hickery
08-18-2013, 19:31
I've a pop up I will bring. Just bought a Clark tropical to throw into the mix.

Rockdawg69
08-19-2013, 20:27
I've a pop up I will bring. Just bought a Clark tropical to throw into the mix.

Thanks Hickery. Don't think I remember a Clark being there before.

DivaB
08-22-2013, 17:30
A big maybe for me. Been there for the first 2 and hope this one as well. My mom had major back surgery in January and we're waiting for the OK from her Doctor that she can be back in a hammock.

Rockdawg69
08-22-2013, 20:02
A big maybe for me. Been there for the first 2 and hope this one as well. My mom had major back surgery in January and we're waiting for the OK from her Doctor that she can be back in a hammock.

Ouch!. Hoping for the best for her hammocking future. We'll save a spot for you folks.

gunner76
08-22-2013, 20:06
Will not be able to attend this year. Hope everything goes ok and I will not mention the the
R word.

Rockdawg69
08-22-2013, 21:04
Will not be able to attend this year. Hope everything goes ok and I will not mention the the
R word.

Bummer! I still have your ground hogs and mini-biners. Next trip somewhere we'll get together. Good luck with the vacation to see family. Keep on hanging.

DivaB
08-22-2013, 21:09
R word.

Will miss you guys! Thanks so much for the package, and the contest. I've already used half :D

DivaB
08-22-2013, 21:11
About 6 weeks out to Grayson Highlands Fall Festival. New stuff this year for the hammock demonstration. More to follow when the graphics are finished.
Here is the easy one. Looking for folks to show their stuff!!!!!!

Looks really sharp!!!

slowhike
08-23-2013, 12:25
There's plenty of room if y'all can make.

R word.
Sorry to hear that Gunner. Hopefully we'll see y'all at another one.
"R" word??? Hummm... rust? reading, righting, rithmatic???:D
I'll be bringing the giant tarp just in case you're talking about that other "R" word.

TallPaul
08-23-2013, 12:54
well, I'm officially a solid maybe.

It could be myself, or I might cajole the family into coming as well.

DivaB
08-23-2013, 15:54
Looks like mom doesn't care what the doctor says and We're in. She says she gets too much inspiration for her paintings to miss it, even if she has to sleep in the car. So we'll be enjoying our scenic 7 hour drive to join in.

That last sentence could be taken as sarcasm, when comes to me. I want to clarify, that it really is a beautiful drive.

....wonder if I should start looking now on different ways to get a pony back home. Good Lord, she was certainly bidding last year and we had no way of getting one home.

Rockdawg69
08-23-2013, 21:28

Just remind them about the ponies!:D:D:D

Home Run
08-24-2013, 10:10
Hey Rockdawg! Been a while since I talked with you. Had lots going on and thought I may not be able to make it. Wrangled it all around and now I'm happy to say I'll be there. Sure looking forward to seeing you and Slowhike and everyone. Count me in on the kitchen help. I had a blast last year!

Home Run

DivaB
08-24-2013, 10:10
Rockdawg69: did you say earlier that you are doing Gumbo? I'll have more green peppers then I'll know what to do with and they will be ripe by that point....onions too, do you want me to bring the trinity mix?

slowhike
08-24-2013, 14:21

Hope you'll bring the family. I'll bet they would enjoy it.

Looks like mom doesn't care what the doctor says and We're in. She says she gets too much inspiration for her paintings to miss it, even if she has to sleep in the car. So we'll be enjoying our scenic 7 hour drive to join in.

That last sentence could be taken as sarcasm, when comes to me. I want to clarify, that it really is a beautiful drive.

....wonder if I should start looking now on different ways to get a pony back home. Good Lord, she was certainly bidding last year and we had no way of getting one home.
Cool! That part of the country is inspiring.
Maybe you could rent a small U-Haul in Va to take the pony home:D

Hey Rockdawg! Been a while since I talked with you. Had lots going on and thought I may not be able to make it. Wrangled it all around and now I'm happy to say I'll be there. Sure looking forward to seeing you and Slowhike and everyone. Count me in on the kitchen help. I had a blast last year!

Home Run
It'll be good to see you again too Home Run. I'm trying to remember your friends name... Bluejay maybe? Is he not able to come?

I'm getting a little excited now that it's getting close! Five weeks to go!!!

slowhike
08-24-2013, 14:31
I'll plan to add something more to the meal spread sheet as we get closer & I see what others are bringing.
If we end up with all that is needed for the two meals that people are signing up for as of now (Sat breakfast & supper) I may bring pork chops to grill for everyone on Fri eve.
I've got a seasoning mix that I think is really good.

Rockdawg69
08-24-2013, 20:22

Home Run''Glad you can make it. Lay on what ever you want to bring.

Rockdawg69: did you say earlier that you are doing Gumbo? I'll have more green peppers then I'll know what to do with and they will be ripe by that point....onions too, do you want me to bring the trinity mix?

JAMBALAYA - different from gumbo. Already in the box - Tony Chacheres good stuff. What can I say, I'm lazy! But bring the peppers and onions. Trinity mix, I'm not sure. I'll have addition rice and the chicken and sausage for the pot.

Bread (French) is coming by others.

Hickery
08-25-2013, 19:46
Homerun , we'll let Gray Jay carry the granola :laugh:bars on this Falls hike !

Rockdawg69
08-25-2013, 21:20
Time to start thinking about raffle items. If anyone has stuff that has been gently "loved" and you are thinking "why do I still have this" - then consider bringing for the raffle.

At the moment I have two new DIY sets of skins to throw in the pile. Hey, I got a new thread injector and I'm making gear. Love the machine. Wife knows nothing and I won't tell.:D:D:D:D
Will probably glean a couple more "gently loved" things out of my pile by the time of the hang.

Have not approached any vendors, as we pinged on them last year. As gracious as they are, don't want to wear out the goodness they shared. Considering there are now probably 20 or 30 regular major group hangs, vendors will be approached for donations more frequently than ever.

So let's see if we can feed ourselves this year.

Tomorrow - another first for the Grayson Highlands Festival hang. Tune in for more.

ScottM
08-26-2013, 11:50
My schedule seems to be open that weekend and would enjoy meeting some people, eating and music. Being new to the forum I hope I will be welcomed.

Bonepile
08-26-2013, 15:26
My schedule seems to be open that weekend and would enjoy meeting some people, eating and music. Being new to the forum I hope I will be welcomed.

You sure will be welcome. The Grayson hang last year was my first group hang and it was great. Everbody was a big help and I'm going up there again this year for my first anniversary of group hanging.

Rockdawg69
08-26-2013, 18:26

Welcome to the festival. Sign up at Post # 1 on this thread.. Bring your stuff and we'll help you with any questions.

Rockdawg69
08-26-2013, 18:34
Here you go folks. Our new front end poster for the hammock demonstration area on Saturday. Note the copyright.

Home Run
08-27-2013, 11:26
Homerun , we'll let Gray Jay carry the granola :laugh:bars on this Falls hike !

Hey Hickery! That was a "classic" moment..... But you're right, time to sneak up on the ole' Gray Jay. I'll stash some alfalfa cubes and mints in his pocket. That ought to get those ponies to be REAL good friends with him!

Home Run
08-27-2013, 11:31
Here you go folks. Our new front end poster for the hammock demonstration area on Saturday. Note the copyright.

I like it Rockdawg! The smooth gentle lines of the hammock contrast nicely against the rocks below...Nice work!

Loki
08-27-2013, 11:47

Nice one Rockdawg69!
:thumbup:

DivaB
08-27-2013, 15:56

Love it!!

I should be able to come up with several things for the raffle for sure. Are survivor/bush knives acceptable (it's new)? Do you want a list as we get things together? I also have D.I.Y sousaville fire starters that Dakota and I just made the other night...dang, those things are awesome :D way better than the wax.

Rockdawg69
08-27-2013, 19:30
Love it!!

I should be able to come up with several things for the raffle for sure. Are survivor/bush knives acceptable (it's new)? Do you want a list as we get things together? I also have D.I.Y sousaville fire starters that Dakota and I just made the other night...dang, those things are awesome :D way better than the wax.

Anything is welcome that you don't need. A knife will be causing a lot of drooling. More so than the Jambalya:lol::lol:

bonsaihiker
08-27-2013, 20:12
I'm hoping to come. May bring the family if I can make it work.

Rockdawg69
08-27-2013, 20:49

Great. Add yourself at Post #1 as a ? until you are sure.

TallPaul
08-27-2013, 21:01
Rockdawg69 - that poster is great. I like the jagged rocky ground & smooth lines of the hammock.

Rockdawg69
08-28-2013, 19:39
Rockdawg69 - that poster is great. I like the jagged rocky ground & smooth lines of the hammock.

Glad you like it. see you there.

Hickery
08-28-2013, 22:22
Hey Scott,hope yall can make it!

grumpy ol tiger
08-29-2013, 15:34
Looks like I can make this hang this year. Can I bring my dog?

Rockdawg69
08-29-2013, 18:05

Check park regulations. I think they have a leash requirement. For us, we are okay with pets as long as they as good with people.

grumpy ol tiger
08-30-2013, 16:05
My choc lab Duncan was with me last year, I just wanted to make sure you all were cool with it. I have a couple of dutch biners I can put in the raffle.

Silverpalm2x
08-31-2013, 11:58
I am planning on bringing my family with me! I am really looking forward to the hanging, the food, seeing some old friends and making some new ones. all you gearaholics please bring some of your extra stuff so I can keep my family warm.

To outfit a family to hang is complicated and expensive. Of course probably wont need bug nets on this hang.

If you bring your dogs be warned my family is desperately trying to talk me into a dog. The kids will probably play and enjoy your dog the entire weekend! :)

slowhike
08-31-2013, 13:37
Nice work on the poster Rockdawg!
Knifes are great Diva B. I'll come up with a few things to add to the raffle.

Hope to see you there.

I really hope you & the family can make it. I don't guess I've seen you except in the winter.

I'm thinking about bringing my dogs too.

I am planning on bringing my family with me! I am really looking forward to the hanging, the food, seeing some old friends and making some new ones. all you gearaholics please bring some of your extra stuff so I can keep my family warm.

To outfit a family to hang is complicated and expensive. Of course probably wont need bug nets on this hang.

If you bring your dogs be warned my family is desperately trying to talk me into a dog. The kids will probably play and enjoy your dog the entire weekend! :)
Do you just need under quilts & top quilts? How about hammocks?

DivaB
09-02-2013, 09:28
Ok; we'll have a baggie of gel cotton ball fire starters (maybe 2); a knife with nylon ankle or arm band (new), I've made 2 tree tables which have the cord and cord locks on them (diy), and a red hammock with the string ends (new). Dakota and I are thinking of more....we're hoping to get some suture kits from my step daughter who is a nurse (obviously unused and new).

Rockdawg69
09-02-2013, 20:15
all you gearaholics please bring some of your extra stuff so I can keep my family warm.

We are bringing extra hammocks and tarps for the demonstration area. There should be several extras to borrow. Not sure about quilts though.

Tinmar
09-02-2013, 21:04
I thought VA State parks do not allow hammocks. Do they?

Rockdawg69
09-03-2013, 06:40

Not sure about others but Grayson loves us.:D:D:D:D
We do a hammock camping demonstration at the Fall Festival at "their" request. And have been asked to do one for their summer camping event in June.

DivaB
09-03-2013, 06:58

Rev had been working on this and helping to educate parks, and FBG did a spreadsheet on it here with links back to the referencing post. https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1L9BUTJrBisOevzO8hCcVwhCVdDAJ3Lqu P-mVap8#rows:id=1

This will be our 3rd annual fall hang; and the crew here at the forums also do annual winter hangs at Grayson.

Hope you can make it.

Rockdawg69
09-03-2013, 20:28
OMG! Just checked the food /cooking list. Home Run brings Blazing Saddle Beans. Mongo like beans:lol::lol::lol:

Grits
09-03-2013, 20:48
Got my shcedule worked out and will be there Saturday Morning and wondering if there will be any trees left????? I will bring some dessert for Saturday night. Cakes Pies etc. lol I will get some from the store :D What time does everyone go over to the festival?

slowhike
09-03-2013, 22:41

I have a JRB winter top quilt (Mt Rogers I think) that can be used as an UQ. I'll plan to bring it if needed.

Got my shcedule worked out and will be there Saturday Morning and wondering if there will be any trees left????? I will bring some dessert for Saturday night. Cakes Pies etc. lol I will get some from the store :D What time does everyone go over to the festival?
No shortage on trees Grits. I'm thinking we will try to finish breakfast by 9am Sat to drive over to the festival in another part of the park & get set up.
Some of us will hang out at the festival till about 5pm in the hammock demo area but we relieve each other to go see other festival stuff. Some may come & go, maybe even do a day hike in the highlands.
Lunch can be bought at the festival for those that want.
There will be live music, arts & crafts for sale as well as apple butter & molasses made that day on site. Demos on blacksmithing & other mountain ways.

Here is a link to info on the Fall Festival...

Silverpalm2x
09-04-2013, 08:25
sorry it has taken me a while to write back .. work.. holiday I appreciate the offer and will look forward to trying it out on her WBRR.

I have a JRB winter top quilt (Mt Rogers I think) that can be used as an UQ. I'll plan to bring it if needed.
I think this might be perfect we have been looking at this as a possible addition to our camping gear.

I know we have enough hammocks for kids and wife. I am looking for an underquilt to keep my wife warm. She sleeps much colder than me so I want to make sure she stays warm. :shades:

The kids we will peapod with sleeping bags and bring some extra clothes for sleeping in. :D

Maybe an extra tarp to cover my wife. I have 2 sportsmans guide that are not the most reliable for rain protection. I have yet to seam seal them.

slowhike
09-04-2013, 10:13
So if I'm hearing you right you just need one good UQ for the wife & one good tarp.
If so I can bring the UQ. Maybe someone else can be sure to have an extra tarp. I need to upgrade the one I use when I get the chance.
A good tarp would be important because I would be amazed if we don't see some rain before the weekend is over.
We've had our share in past trips so don't forget your rain gear folks:D

Silverpalm2x
09-04-2013, 16:20
yes slowhike that is what I am saying. sorry if I was unclear.

Rockdawg69
09-04-2013, 18:58
yes slowhike that is what I am saying. sorry if I was unclear.

I'll have 2 extra hammocks and tarps if you don't mind tearing one down Saturday morning for use at the demo area. Depending on temps, I may have an extra UQ.

slowhike
09-06-2013, 09:54
I just had an email exchange with GHSP Ranger Marcia Holland & she mentioned that she still had a shovel that someone left behind at the winter hang.
I'll post it on the report thread from the 2013 Mt Rogers Winter Hang to see if anybody claims it.

Home Run
09-06-2013, 15:38
Hey Slowhike, if it's an old aluminum scoop, it could be mine. (It sure did come in handy...digging out snow paths to the hammocks!)

slowhike
09-07-2013, 13:50
Hey Slowhike, if it's an old aluminum scoop, it could be mine. (It sure did come in handy...digging out snow paths to the hammocks!)
She didn't say but I'd say chances are good that it's yours. You should get a chance to check it out soon.
Yeah, I remember one winter hang when we had quite a bit of snow & it would have made much less work of walking back & forth to the hammock a lot easier:D
I believe it was the first Mt Rogers Winter Hang that we used the group site.

Rockdawg69
09-08-2013, 14:17
Hey folks,

It's time to start finishing out the food menus. We could use some hotdogs/brats and buns for Saturday night in case the younger folks don't like jambalya. Maybe some potato salad/green salad also. Condiments are always needed. I see bread on the list so that should handle Sat night.
Anyone got some ideas for Friday night you are welcome to bring something. Otherwise you are on your own for Friday night's meal.

I will bring a 2-burner propane cooker for the heavy duty stuff. And dutch ovens for cobblers, etc. If anyone would like cobbler, bring 4, 30 oz cans of your favorite fruit and 2 boxes of yellow cake mix. I have the other fixings.

Looks like early Fall/Winter to me. Bring your quilts.

fiveonomo
09-08-2013, 16:28
I have followed this thread for a while and it sounds like it is coming together nicely. I want to come to a group hang so bad it's killing me. I am unable to make it to this one as I am out of town but I am already looking for another one in my area. I'm jealous.

Rooster
09-08-2013, 16:47
Pudden and I will be unable to attend this year.

I have to be in Charleston that weekend.

Rockdawg69
09-08-2013, 20:24
Pudden and I will be unable to attend this year.

I have to be in Charleston that weekend.

Going to miss you folks. Hate having to go to Charleston myself. It is such a drag!:D

Rockdawg69
09-08-2013, 20:54
I have followed this thread for a while and it sounds like it is coming together nicely. I want to come to a group hang so bad it's killing me. I am unable to make it to this one as I am out of town but I am already looking for another one in my area. I'm jealous.

There is always the Winter Hang in January - if you want to try out your "really" cold weather camping. Likely to be another Fall hang next year if we can swing the help keeping it going.

slowhike
09-09-2013, 13:35
Hey folks,

It's time to start finishing out the food menus. We could use some hotdogs/brats and buns for Saturday night in case the younger folks don't like jambalya. Maybe some potato salad/green salad also. Condiments are always needed. I see bread on the list so that should handle Sat night.
Anyone got some ideas for Friday night you are welcome to bring something. Otherwise you are on your own for Friday night's meal.

I will bring a 2-burner propane cooker for the heavy duty stuff. And dutch ovens for cobblers, etc. If anyone would like cobbler, bring 4, 30 oz cans of your favorite fruit and 2 boxes of yellow cake mix. I have the other fixings.

Looks like early Fall/Winter to me. Bring your quilts.
I added a few things. I have a question... when I hover my pointer over the food spread sheet I see boxes pop up with food items. Are those suggestions or just things that were added then removed?
Also, any other suggestions?
I think added most of the things you mentioned (plus a few) in the above post except potato salad. I could bring that too if no one else jumps in before time to go.

Rockdawg69
09-09-2013, 20:34
Tim,

I am not getting any response on spreadsheet like you stated. Everything seems normal to me. Tried hovering and clicking on boxes with nothing showing. Not sure what the issue might be.

slowhike
09-09-2013, 23:04
Tim,

I am not getting any response on spreadsheet like you stated. Everything seems normal to me. Tried hovering and clicking on boxes with nothing showing. Not sure what the issue might be.
I tried it again & I only see them when I right click over some of the boxes that have been filled in in the Sat eve slot. They say things like frozen okra, boneless chicken, etc.
But no big deal... just a matter of getting the grub we need for the weekend:D

Rockdawg69
09-10-2013, 06:12
Now I'm seeing the same thing. It looks like those are left overs from Gumbo's first meal 2 years ago. Don't know why it is hiding in the background.

I've got an E-Z Up to bring for the demonstration area. Taking posters to printer today or tomorrow, depending on work hours.

bonsaihiker
09-11-2013, 11:16
Still not sure I can pull this hang off, but I'm trying. Will sign up for food/raffle items when I'm more sure.

Question, though. I've only been there in the winter when everything is shut down. I assume there will be water spigots, but are there showers? Not that it's necessary for me, but the family might appreciate knowing.

Rockdawg69
09-11-2013, 19:33
Still not sure I can pull this hang off, but I'm trying. Will sign up for food/raffle items when I'm more sure.

Question, though. I've only been there in the winter when everything is shut down. I assume there will be water spigots, but are there showers? Not that it's necessary for me, but the family might appreciate knowing.

Yep! Water spigots and showers in the campground, less than 5 minute walk or 2 minute drive. Toilets right at the group site.

DavyRay
09-11-2013, 20:07
Hey all,

I am planning to attend. I have a few limitations, like don't know about transportation and how much food I can bring. I'm still doing my planning.

Anyone want to carpool from Winston-Salem? I'd like to get to the park on Thursday or Friday.

slowhike
09-12-2013, 13:41
Yep! Water spigots and showers in the campground, less than 5 minute walk or 2 minute drive. Toilets right at the group site.
And flush toilets too (as opposed to stinky vault toilets):) There in a nice & fairly new building at the edge of the group site.

Hey all,

I am planning to attend. I have a few limitations, like don't know about transportation and how much food I can bring. I'm still doing my planning.

Anyone want to carpool from Winston-Salem? I'd like to get to the park on Thursday or Friday.
I may be interested in carpooling. I live just south of Winston-Salem. Shoot me a PM & we'll see if that will work. I hope to leave W-S by late morning (maybe 9 or 10am) Friday & plan to come back either Sun afternoon or Mon morn/noon.
If you're limited on funds I think others will be fine & have no concerns about you not being able to pitch in on the group meals. I sure understand.
We usually have more than enough to go around. Often times we have left overs.

Silverpalm2x
09-13-2013, 08:22
I would say we could carpool up but we only have a mazda wagon & I am bringing the whole family and I will have to pack smart to make sure the kids & wife stay warm. Looks to be a cool, in more than one way, weekend.

If you wanted to caravan I would be up for it.

Hey all,

Rockdawg69
09-13-2013, 20:00
Okay folks,

If you are a ?? on the sign up sheet, time to let us know if you are coming or still have a potential conflict.

We could use some more food for Sat night to fill in the main dish. Bread is covered. What about any dessert items, crackers, cookies, etc.?

And remember to sort thru your "gently loved" items not needed anymore for the raffle. Your fellow hangers would 'preciate it.
Anyone bringing young family members, we will need a good ticket puller for the raffle.

See you in 2 weeks.

bonsaihiker
09-13-2013, 22:37
Just got the email from Hammock Gear giving me the clearance to go (needed a fourth UQ to keep everyone warm). :D

So it is looking very good that I will be arriving by early Friday afternoon. I can't seem to get to the sign-up sheet on Tapatalk (or don't know how), but since Rockdawg mentioned dessert is needed, Cor will bring her famous brownies. I'm sure I have something to put in the raffle. I also will bring a diy kid's hammock set up for the demo--sadly, my daughter outgrew her pink one. I figure that might be a nice addition.

I'll also bring a two- burner gas stove and some extra cylinders. Would a 5 gallon water jug with a turn spigot be useful at the kitchen area? If so, I can bring that, too. I'll check the sign-up sheet tomorrow to see what else is needed.

Looking forward to seeing some old friends again and meeting new ones!

:)

slowhike
09-14-2013, 05:10
I would say we could carpool up but we only have a mazda wagon & I am bringing the whole family and I will have to pack smart to make sure the kids & wife stay warm. Looks to be a cool, in more than one way, weekend.

If you wanted to caravan I would be up for it.
DavyRay & I talked by PM & it looks like we will be carpooling.
We are talking about leaving the W-S area mid morning Fri. Caravaning can add a measure of safety in case anyone has car trouble or anything so we can hook up at leaving time if you want.

slowhike
09-14-2013, 05:23
Rockdawg, do you have some particular items you would like to see added to the Sat night main dish?
I'm hoping some others will jump on those items. I'm already signed up for quite a bit.

Bonsaihiker, glad to hear you & the family can make it!
The 5 gal water jug would be helpful. We will have water spigots at the edge of camp for refilling but having water at the table is always good.

I'll look today for raffle items too.

Bonepile
09-14-2013, 10:53
Rockdawg, do you have some particular items you would like to see added to the Sat night main dish?
I'm hoping some others will jump on those items. I'm already signed up for quite a bit.

Bonsaihiker, glad to hear you & the family can make it!
The 5 gal water jug would be helpful. We will have water spigots at the edge of camp for refilling but having water at the table is always good.

I'll look today for raffle items too.

Ya, Rockdawg, please let us know what to add for the meals. I will be bringing my circa 1970 Coleman stove and a 3 gallon water jug.

slowhike
09-14-2013, 13:11
I've rounded up a few things for the raffle. As of now I've got...
1 Hammock Forum Buff (new)
Set of 4 JRB Tarp Tensioner Lines (new)
Hammock Forums jacket (new)
Several lightly used cool weather or winter jackets
2 lightly used camp pillows
1 "pillow bag" (fleece lined inside for stuffing a jacket, etc)

Project materials...
Large size insulated/foil Windshield Reflector (full size truck size)
Seamless mattress pad for synthetic insulation.

The Project materials items I'm not sure if there would be enough interest in to enter into the raffle. If not I may just give them to anyone interested in using them for a DIY project.

slowhike
09-14-2013, 13:24
Anyone able to bring firewood? Please be sure you are not from an area were the Emerald Ash Borer (see map).
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/map.cfm#sthash.3RWj0QSB.hikouM1T.dpbs
The last thing we want to do is to introduce that pest into this beautiful State Park, Wilderness area & National Forest.

Only two distant counties in NC have been added to the Emerald Ash Borer map so I could bring some. Only problem is that space will be limited in my little Toyota pick-up. I'm planning to bring my two dogs & there travel kennel as well as the giant tarp, my stuff & I'll have a guest DavyRay) & his gear.
I could still bring a little but not as much as normal.

BTW... don't forget to bring a camp chair if you have one.

Rockdawg69
09-14-2013, 16:56
Anyone able to bring firewood? Please be sure you are not from an area were the Emerald Ash Borer (see map).
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/map.cfm#sthash.3RWj0QSB.hikouM1T.dpbs
The last thing we want to do is to introduce that pest into this beautiful State Park, Wilderness area & National Forest.

Only two distant counties in NC have been added to the Emerald Ash Borer map so I could bring some. Only problem is that space will be limited in my little Toyota pick-up. I'm planning to bring my two dogs & there travel kennel as well as the giant tarp, my stuff & I'll have a guest DavyRay) & his gear.
I could still bring a little but not as much as normal.

BTW... don't forget to bring a camp chair if you have one.

I'm bringing wood and starter (south GA longleaf pine fat lighter) Stand back! Lights in the rain - if you can keep you match going!

We could use a salad or mac-n-cheese or something that compliments the Jambalaya.

Rockdawg69
09-14-2013, 17:03
Raffle Items:
2 sets DIY skins -ACU and MarPat;
1 set Dutch's tarp flyz on 1.75 zing-it
1 set Grip Clips
1 box Power Bars

Maybe more when I shake out the closet.

slowhike
09-14-2013, 23:30
I'm bringing wood and starter (south GA longleaf pine fat lighter) Stand back! Lights in the rain - if you can keep you match going!

We could use a salad or mac-n-cheese or something that compliments the Jambalaya.
I'm guessing we will still need more fire wood to go with what you are bringing to take us through the long weekend, right?

Silverpalm2x
09-15-2013, 07:17
hey folks i added to the sign up sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmeaZave7qe2dDVfZ1hDaFNyTnZ5UkhPR1hfUmNlU UE&usp=sharing) a column for those who might have needs for hanging, like us. Plus a column for people to cover them for the weekend. I hope you dont mind me tweaking your form but thought it might be helpful.

With it being 54 degrees this morning in NC, my wife and I are worried a little about keeping people warm.

bonsaihiker
09-15-2013, 07:58
Wow--the UQ arrived yesterday! And after test-fitting it to my hammock, I woke up 2 hours later, warm and snug. Now my whole family can stay warm. This trip is a definite go. :D

Now, forgive my new-ness to this particular hang, but I read in this thread that there is a pot-luck breakfast on Saturday and a pot-luck dinner on Saturday evening. However, the sign-up sheet has columns for Friday night as well. Should I assume there will be a pot-luck on Friday evening as well? If so, the soup I'm planning for my family should be able to feed quite a few more, and I may just bring more to prepare. That might go well with the brats/dogs/etc.

slowhike
09-15-2013, 11:32
hey folks i added to the sign up sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmeaZave7qe2dDVfZ1hDaFNyTnZ5UkhPR1hfUmNlU UE&usp=sharing) a column for those who might have needs for hanging, like us. Plus a column for people to cover them for the weekend. I hope you dont mind me tweaking your form but thought it might be helpful.

With it being 54 degrees this morning in NC, my wife and I are worried a little about keeping people warm.
Great idea. We'll come up with the insulation. I think Rockdawg may have mentioned having an extra UQ or two.

slowhike
09-15-2013, 11:46
Wow--the UQ arrived yesterday! And after test-fitting it to my hammock, I woke up 2 hours later, warm and snug. Now my whole family can stay warm. This trip is a definite go. :D

Now, forgive my new-ness to this particular hang, but I read in this thread that there is a pot-luck breakfast on Saturday and a pot-luck dinner on Saturday evening. However, the sign-up sheet has columns for Friday night as well. Should I assume there will be a pot-luck on Friday evening as well? If so, the soup I'm planning for my family should be able to feed quite a few more, and I may just bring more to prepare. That might go well with the brats/dogs/etc.
Yep, we are asking people to pitch in on group meals Fri supper, Sat breakfast, Sat supper.
The soup would be a great addition to Fri supper.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that we pretty much have those three meals covered except for a few items that Rockdawg mentioned in a recent post ( to add to or compliment the jambalaya).
If any one coming in late wants they can pitch in by giving a few bucks to those who are bringing food rather than bringing food.

Lunch Sat can be purchased at the Fall Festival, or bring your own.
I think we will just be doing our own simple breakfast on Sun morn & then those who want will drive to the Log House Restaurant for lunch Sun.

I think a few may stay Sun night.

slowhike
09-15-2013, 12:34
I'm sure we will come up with all the underquilts needed but just for information there's more than one way to skin a cat:D
Here's what I did for a friend in that very group site some years back. He slept good & warm that night.
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P9300028_thumb.jpg (https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1802&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=25&cutoffdate=-1)

And a link to GHSP
Here's a link to the weather station at about 4000' elevation. I think the camp ground & Festival Area is closer to 5000'.

bonsaihiker
09-15-2013, 13:34
Thanks, Tim, for the info. :)

Also, re: bottom insulation, don't forget that CCF pads work great. Many of us started out that way. They aren't as comfortable as UQ's, but they will keep you warm, and blue pads cost only a few dollars in a sporting-goods section. Self-inflating pads also work.

chattalotchuck
09-16-2013, 06:22
Hi everyone. Your event looks great. I hiked thought that area from Hwy 603 to Damascus for trail days this year and loved it. Would like to hike in from Hwy 81 and join you. Would that work out for your group, and if it does would anyone like to hike in with me, I have family in Marion so shuttle service is available, let me know.

slowhike
09-16-2013, 09:00
Hi everyone. Your event looks great. I hiked thought that area from Hwy 603 to Damascus for trail days this year and loved it. Would like to hike in from Hwy 81 and join you. Would that work out for your group, and if it does would anyone like to hike in with me, I have family in Marion so shuttle service is available, let me know.
Maybe someone will join you for the hike in. I'll see you in camp.

chattalotchuck
09-17-2013, 04:25
Maybe someone will join you for the hike in. I'll see you in camp.

Heading up to Hot Springs hiking in with Pod and Floorman I'll check for updates to possible hikers into grayson from 81 and should be in Marion monday evening. :)

bike camper
09-18-2013, 22:46
Will a netted hammock be necessary at Grayson Highlands hang? Probably will need a hammock and tarp if anyone has an extra? Will bring two people with me but I only have two setups.

slowhike
09-19-2013, 09:30
Will a netted hammock be necessary at Grayson Highlands hang? Probably will need a hammock and tarp if anyone has an extra? Will bring two people with me but I only have two setups.
I've never used a netted hammock & had few regrets. But then I've not camped some of the places others have.
Were this event is I don't remember any mosquitoes but there have been a few times the files & gnats were a temporary hassle in warmer weather & in the areas were the ponies rome.
But it will be cooler now & I don't remember any insect issues on this weekend.

I may have an extra tarp but it's been a long time since I checked it. I'll get it out.
Maybe someone else will have some extras.

Hickery
09-19-2013, 21:48
What time were we planning on setting up at the festival site? Can't recall from last year. Do know the pony auction is 2pm Saturday .Looks like a lot of bluegrass and good food as always. Get that Apple butter early. Hope they do the pie irons again.

slowhike
09-20-2013, 08:10
And a link to GHSP

What time were we planning on setting up at the festival site? Can't recall from last year. Do know the pony auction is 2pm Saturday .Looks like a lot of bluegrass and good food as always. Get that Apple butter early. Hope they do the pie irons again.
Yep, looking forward to all that. Apple butter good:)
Since the festival starts at 10am I'm thinking we should try to finish breakfast & get over there a little before 10.
Maybe 9:30.

Rockdawg69
09-21-2013, 10:34
Okay. I'm back in the internet world again after 6 days wrestling with AT & T.
Looks like about 34 folks confirmed for the weekend with various arrivals and departures.
Thanks for all the support with meals. Anyone want to bring a specialty meal item, please do so.
Looks like I will get there around 3:00 Friday if nothing changes. Office is not happy about me leaving on next to last day of fiscal year but someone will cover for me.

Will send folks at the park a rough planning number on Monday so they know about how many to expect at the entrance. Just mention you are with the HammockForums group at the entrance to the park. No charge for camping.

Home Run
09-21-2013, 15:23
Thanks for putting this all together, Rockdawg. I can't think of a more beautiful, family friendly place to gather our HF group. Last year the mountains were just bursting with fall colors. The festival was so relaxing...lots of good food. Music filled the hills and everyone was having a good time. I think it's really cool that HF decided to be part of this celebration.
Can't wait to see everyone!

Rockdawg69
09-21-2013, 18:50
The MAN be Slowhike. I'm just following in his footsteps.
First cut at 10-day weather looks good.
See ya there.

slowhike
09-21-2013, 22:55
I may have got it started 3 years ago but Rockdawg has played a major role in each & every one of the Fall Festival Hangs.
Mater of fact I've been dragging my feet so badly this year we wouldn't be this far along if it were not for Rockdawg taking the reigns.
A big thanks him & to all of you. I'm excited.

Bonepile
09-22-2013, 07:45
A big THANK YOU to both Slowhike and Rockdawg. The fall hang at Grayson last year was my first group hang and they both made me welcome and were a big help getting me started hanging. So I'll be celebrating my one year hanging anniversary at the fall hang next weekend.:D

slowhike
09-22-2013, 09:21
A big THANK YOU to both Slowhike and Rockdawg. The fall hang at Grayson last year was my first group hang and they both made me welcome and were a big help getting me started hanging. So I'll be celebrating my one year hanging anniversary at the fall hang next weekend.:D
Look forward to seeing you there.... and Happy Anniversary:)

slowhike
09-23-2013, 20:34
Just to keep you informed.
Home Run got word of a nuisance bear around the Wise Shelter area so I emailed Ranger Marceia Holland about it. Here is her response last week.

"The mast crop is pretty poor this year & we have had a problem with a bear in the campground and around Wise Shelter, but we just put a bear trap out this afternoon. We are hoping that we will have the bear trapped and relocated by this weekend. This bear did take backpacks from a couple of hikers, but it doesn’t appear to be very aggressive towards people so far. We just don’t want things to escalate to where someone gets hurt, so we are trying to be proactive.

I’ll let you know what happens with the trapping.

Marci"

I emailed her again yesterday (9/22) to see if they had had any luck in catching Yogi & here is her latest response.
"Not yet, last activity that we were aware of was at Wise Shelter on Thursday. He is wise to our trickster ways.
Marci"

I (& most people) have never seen a bear in that area but like Marci said the food crops (nuts, berries, etc) have been off this year.
I hope this doesn't keep anyone from coming. I'm sure they will be doing all they can to catch the hungry guy before the Fall Festival. Besides, I suspect the bear would not be as likely to come into a busy campground like it will be.
We'll just put our food away & not leave any temptation for him.

Rockdawg69
09-24-2013, 06:26
Anyone arriving on Thursday must pay to camp in the park, unless you are hiking out to the highlands and stay in the back country. Parking is in the backpacker/hiker parking lot. Our freebie camping is for Friday thru Monday

chattalotchuck
09-24-2013, 15:42
Hi all,
hiked some with Pod and Floorman ++++++I'm still hurting and won't be starting at Hwy 81, Going to hike from sugar grove to the festival. Starting in the morning unless something new comes up. Will camp Thrusday evening well north of wise maybe orchard. See everyone on friday sometime.

Rockdawg69
09-24-2013, 19:29
Hi all,
hiked some with Pod and Floorman ++++++I'm still hurting and won't be starting at Hwy 81, Going to hike from sugar grove to the festival. Starting in the morning unless something new comes up. Will camp Thrusday evening well north of wise maybe orchard. See everyone on friday sometime.

Look to see you Friday night. See Slowhike's note above from rangers about bear in vicinty of Wise shelter

slowhike
09-24-2013, 21:52
I noticed on the attendance sign up sheet that there may be a need for a few more under quilts, top quilts & maybe a tarp.
If you can meet the need please add a note on the sheet.
Unless I see that everyone is taken care of I'll bring what ever extra sleeping bags & top quilts I can find along with some grip clips so they can be converted into under quilts if needed.
I suspect it will be pretty cool at night.

On a different note, I signed up to bring brats & hot dogs for Fri & Sat nights.
Any suggestions on a good hot dog with out breaking the bank?
If you haven't decided on anything to bring for the group meals I could let someone bring a few of the things I signed up for... like hot dog buns & any other condiments besides the mustard, ketchup & mayo I already have ready.

Bonepile
09-25-2013, 07:44
Slowhike, I'll bring 4 dozen hotdog buns. Will that be enough for Friday night?

Silverpalm2x
09-25-2013, 08:13
BONEPILE i did not know you were coming!!! I am bringing my missus and my two little hangers looking forward to seeing ya again!

TallPaul
09-25-2013, 08:18
Looks like i will roll in on Saturday around noon with the wife and kids.

Looking forward to seeing everything.

We haven't gotten anything for the Saturday night group dinner so if there is something critical let me know. Otherwise we'll figure out something to bring :)

L.D. Cakes
09-25-2013, 08:48
Slowhike, If you know someone with a Sam's Club membership you can save a lot on 24 count Ballpark Franks for $8.68. If I were coming I'd get them for you and you could just pay me back. Can anyone else do this for him? Also 16 count Sara Lee HD buns are just $1.98 at Sam's.

slowhike
09-25-2013, 10:58
Slowhike, I'll bring 4 dozen hotdog buns. Will that be enough for Friday night?
I think that should do it Bonepile. Thanks.

Looks like i will roll in on Saturday around noon with the wife and kids.

Looking forward to seeing everything.

We haven't gotten anything for the Saturday night group dinner so if there is something critical let me know. Otherwise we'll figure out something to bring :)
Paul, noon Sat most of us will be at the Festival/hammock demo. Some may be out hiking. You may want to get your hammocks set up. We'll be easy enough to find at the Festival.
Whatever you decide to bring for the Sat night meal will be fine.

Slowhike, If you know someone with a Sam's Club membership you can save a lot on 24 count Ballpark Franks for $8.68. If I were coming I'd get them for you and you could just pay me back. Can anyone else do this for him? Also 16 count Sara Lee HD buns are just $1.98 at Sam's.
Thanks Cakes. I have a friend that has a Sam's membership. I'll see if I can tag along with him.
Wish you could come Deb.

TallPaul
09-25-2013, 11:20
Thanks Slowhike - that is the plan, setup then head over to the festival. I'm hoping to get my teenagers up early for the drive but we'll see.

slowhike
09-25-2013, 12:22
On the attendance sign up sheet (1st post) I was looking to get an idea of the number of people that will be eating.
This is just to get a rough idea. Attendance is almost never like the sign up sheet.

Looks like we have 37 people coming, all of which will be there for the Sat eve group meal.
There should be about 27 there for the Fri night group meal.

If I say average 2 hot dogs or brats per person that means...
2 x 27= 54 dog/brats for Fri
2 x 37= 74 dog/brats for Sat
128 total (maybe more) between dogs & brats. Does that sound about right?
I better get a bigger bottle of mustard:)

L.D. Cakes
09-25-2013, 12:46
Thanks Cakes. I have a friend that has a Sam's membership. I'll see if I can tag along with him.
Wish you could come Deb.

You're welcome, and I wish I could come too. I'm always torn between my hanging buddies & my paddling buddies. All I can do is take turns.:rolleyes:

slowhike
09-25-2013, 17:34
Just to keep you informed.
Home Run got word of a nuisance bear around the Wise Shelter area so I emailed Ranger Marceia Holland about it. Here is her response last week.

"The mast crop is pretty poor this year & we have had a problem with a bear in the campground and around Wise Shelter, but we just put a bear trap out this afternoon. We are hoping that we will have the bear trapped and relocated by this weekend. This bear did take backpacks from a couple of hikers, but it doesn’t appear to be very aggressive towards people so far. We just don’t want things to escalate to where someone gets hurt, so we are trying to be proactive.

I’ll let you know what happens with the trapping.

Marci"

I emailed her again yesterday (9/22) to see if they had had any luck in catching Yogi & here is her latest response.
"Not yet, last activity that we were aware of was at Wise Shelter on Thursday. He is wise to our trickster ways.
Marci"

I (& most people) have never seen a bear in that area but like Marci said the food crops (nuts, berries, etc) have been off this year.
I hope this doesn't keep anyone from coming. I'm sure they will be doing all they can to catch the hungry guy before the Fall Festival. Besides, I suspect the bear would not be as likely to come into a busy campground like it will be.
We'll just put our food away & not leave any temptation for him.
Well, they caught Yogi. At least they hope it's the one causing problems. It most likely is.

TallPaul
09-25-2013, 17:41
Good to hear slowhike

Rockdawg69
09-25-2013, 19:52
Well, they caught Yogi. At least they hope it's the one causing problems. It most likely is.
Dang it! I was hoping we could do a bear chasing Saturday night.:lol::lol:

slowhike
09-25-2013, 22:20
On the attendance sign up sheet (1st post) I was looking to get an idea of the number of people that will be eating.
This is just to get a rough idea. Attendance is almost never like the sign up sheet.

Looks like we have 37 people coming, all of which will be there for the Sat eve group meal.
There should be about 27 there for the Fri night group meal.

If I say average 2 hot dogs or brats per person that means...
2 x 27= 54 dog/brats for Fri
2 x 37= 74 dog/brats for Sat
128 total (maybe more) between dogs & brats. Does that sound about right?
I better get a bigger bottle of mustard:)
I've been doing a little research on hot dogs (way to much actually:rolleyes:).
I want to get a decent tasting hot dog but not break the bank since funds are tight.

Of course if a few folks not bringing much in the way of food wanted to throw in a few bucks to partially reimburse those who are spending a fair amount on food it wouldn't matter as much about the cost.

You guys have favorites? Reviews & opinions online can be pretty contradictory.

Do the number of dog/brats above look about right?

TallPaul
09-25-2013, 22:59
Slow hike... I'll go in for half of whatever you spend on the dogs/brats.
Not sure on the numbers... Your logic seems fine. Maybe 1.5 ratio Saturday since there will be Jambalaya also?

slowhike
09-25-2013, 23:48
Slow hike... I'll go in for half of whatever you spend on the dogs/brats.
Not sure on the numbers... Your logic seems fine. Maybe 1.5 ratio Saturday since there will be Jambalaya also?
Sounds good. Thanks Paul.

DivaB
09-26-2013, 07:56
So sorry I haven't been on in a bit, and I don't have time to catch up on all the previous posts. Ok gang....what is needed for foods and/or paper products and such??

Rockdawg69: would you still like me to bring diced green peppers and onions?? If so, how much would you like of each?

SlowHike: Would you like me to bring a decent size package of good hotdogs? What about buns?

I don't have time to make cupcakes......but I could certainly purchase some and bring with me if there is enough interest?
I'll be hitting the store around 6pm this evening so please let me know.

We won't be part of the Saturday morning breakfast....unless mom and Dakota are up early enough, but they never have been in the past.

Please just add what odds and ends need taken care of here, and I'll check back before I head to the store.

Got the auction items ready. Getting ready to pack. Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!!!!

slowhike
09-26-2013, 08:29
So sorry I haven't been on in a bit, and I don't have time to catch up on all the previous posts. Ok gang....what is needed for foods and/or paper products and such??

Rockdawg69: would you still like me to bring diced green peppers and onions?? If so, how much would you like of each?

SlowHike: Would you like me to bring a decent size package of good hotdogs? What about buns?

I don't have time to make cupcakes......but I could certainly purchase some and bring with me if there is enough interest?
I'll be hitting the store around 6pm this evening so please let me know.

We won't be part of the Saturday morning breakfast....unless mom and Dakota are up early enough, but they never have been in the past.

Please just add what odds and ends need taken care of here, and I'll check back before I head to the store.

Got the auction items ready. Getting ready to pack. Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!!!!
Bonepile is bringing 4 doz hot dog buns, I'm bringing a couple other bread options for dogs & brats, rye bread & small soft corn tortillas but it might not hurt to have a few more traditional hot dog buns.
I've got 100 thin paper plates, 2 rolls of paper towels & plenty plastic spoons & forks. If you think we might need more paper plates & paper towels you might get another pack of those.
Extra hot dogs would be good too. Just let me know about how many you might be bringing. I'll be going to Costco to buy dogs & brats this afternoon.
I don't know of anything else in particular. Whatever you decide to bring will be fine.

slowhike
09-26-2013, 08:52
Unbelievable forecast for that area (Mouth Of Wilson, VA).
Chance of precipitation....
Thurs 20%
Fri.......0%
Sat......0%
Sun......0%
Mon.....40%

I'll still be taking the rain gear of course but hopefully we won't need it.

Silverpalm2x
09-26-2013, 09:28
i think that your numbers for the dogs and brats might be high. I mean I know our of my family of 4. I am the only one who will eat a brat. My daughter will eat two hotdogs and my son who know what he will eat picky little fella.

I do think you could lower the number some on saturday too due to other things being offered. I am pretty sure we wont go hungry unless a bunch of people who have not signed up show up.

slowhike
09-26-2013, 09:58
Yeah, I think you're right Silverplam.
Of course if we end up with extras I'm sure they will find a good home.

slowhike
09-26-2013, 10:35
Anyone got some of the long hot dog forks and/or a grill that can be set over hot coals to roast a bunch of dogs at the same time?

Bonepile
09-26-2013, 12:08
Anyone got some of the long hot dog forks and/or a grill that can be set over hot coals to roast a bunch of dogs at the same time?

I've got a basket like thing that will hold about 20 hotdogs.

slowhike
09-26-2013, 13:04
I've got a basket like thing that will hold about 20 hotdogs.
That would be great. Thanks.

Rockdawg69
09-26-2013, 19:47
I'm loaded, except for the frozen stuff.
Got wood on board. Probably not enough for 2 nights.
Also got the kitchen sink on board. This is worse than a Scout campout D:D:D:D

Anyway, see some of you tomorrow around 3:00 if everything works out with the drive. Can't think of anything else we need. Thanks to all who are coming.

MONGO LIKE BEANS!:lol::lol:

SquirrelGirl
09-26-2013, 20:06
My living room is a mess! Silverpalm2x and I are getting everything all packed up for our family. Excited to have all four of us sleeping off the ground for the first time together this weekend! :D

SquirrelGirl
09-26-2013, 20:08

Forgot to add... we have two grilling utinsils that will cook three dogs at a time. Will bring.

slowhike
09-26-2013, 20:51
Rockdawg, I'm bringing enough wood that might would take care of one night & Hickery is bring some too, so we should be in good shape on fire wood.

Forgot to add... we have two grilling utinsils that will cook three dogs at a time. Will bring.
Thanks SquirrelGirl. That will be a big help.

Rockdawg69
09-26-2013, 21:10
Rockdawg, I'm bringing enough wood that might would take care of one night & Hickery is bring some too, so we should be in good shape on fire wood.

Thanks SquirrelGirl. That will be a big help.

Thanks. Bringing a tarp for the wood.

bonsaihiker
09-26-2013, 22:10
I have 4 dog/marshmallow forks, and several packages of marshmallows/peeps to roast. 2 pans of brownies, 2 packages of iced oatmeal cookies. Enough minestrone soup mix to make a gallon. A whole canister of oatmeal, coffee, and the gear to cook it. Also a big water jug with spigot valve for the table. A few small goodies for the raffle. Children's hammock set-up for the demo.

Whew. Glad I'm car-camping. ;)

Planning to be there shortly after noon tomorrow, depending on how early I can get the hoarde into the car.

I'm stoked! Can't wait to see you all...:D

DivaB
09-26-2013, 22:44
Wow....that a wonderful forecast!!! The Google documents is updated with what I've gotten. For whatever reason I'm not able to view the Friday columns, and if I switch it over to view smaller, I can't type in it.....so it's all in the Saturday column.

visionarylion
09-27-2013, 09:50
All packed and loaded gassing then it will be 3 hr. So we should get there around2

Bonepile
09-27-2013, 10:15
Leaving in a few minutes. Have to stop for gas and ice so should be there between 1 and 2.:D

MLHolland
09-27-2013, 10:44
Dang it! I was hoping we could do a bear chasing Saturday night.:lol::lol:

I'm sure there are some others around. I heard that there was one hanging around Fox Creek Horse Campground on the other side of the mountain.

Also, we haven't had any further reports of bear activity since Tuesday, but there's no guarantee that we caught the right bear, so be smart, keep your food in the car and take the trash to the dumpster before you head to the hammocks at night. Having a bear scrape on the side of a tent is one thing, I'd hate to have one testing to see what it can eat from a hammock!

See ya'll soon!

Marci

Silverpalm2x
09-27-2013, 11:27
Really need a larger car.. cold weather camping takes so much stuff...

bonsaihiker
09-29-2013, 21:07
We are home, unpacking has started. insulation has been uncompressed and hung. I'll get a video done and the group shot posted as soon as I can.

Thank you to slowhike and Rockdawg for organizing, to Ranger Holland for the hospitality, and to all the cooks and raffle donors for your generosity. It was great to meet or see you all again. :D

Rockdawg69
09-29-2013, 21:17
We are home, unpacking has started. insulation has been uncompressed and hung. I'll get a video done and the group shot posted as soon as I can.

Thank you to slowhike and Rockdawg for organizing, to Ranger Holland for the hospitality, and to all the cooks and raffle donors for your generosity. It was great to meet or see you all again. :D

I have started a Trip Report thread. See SE hangs.

slowhike
09-30-2013, 15:43
I have started a Trip Report thread. See SE hangs.
You can find the new thread in Trip Reports.
Thanks Rockdawg. I'll add later. Gotta go to work.