PDA

View Full Version : Temps in the Colorado mountains

Jeff488
07-01-2013, 17:18
I looked for a thread with the info with no luck.
Three of us are going to motorcycle the gravel roads in CO in 2 weeks for 5 days. Woohoo!:D
I have a WB ridgerunner with a KAQ Ridge creek UQ and a Walmart 32 degree down bag. Also a big tarp.
My question is if that is going to be enough to keep me warm this time of year. I'm guessing it will, especially if I take a sweat shirt and pants, just in case.
I really don't want to take an inflatable pad because of the bulk.
I would like to hear from those who hang frequently in the Colo. mountains about what they use.
Thanks,
Jeff

Cannibal
07-01-2013, 17:47
Hit and miss.

Where abouts in Colorado; it's kind of a big state. :D

I can't speak to how your insulation works for you, but you should plan on being able to be comfortable into the low 40s...depending where you are headed and what altitude you plan to camp. Don't be too surprised if the temps dip into the 30s; not at all uncommon in the mountains, even in the dead of summer.

Nodust
07-01-2013, 17:53
I would be preparred for temps in the mid 30's especially if you are going higher elevations. One thing I do to keep warm is keep thick socks in my sleeping bag and they only get worn in there. Dry socks make a big difference.

Jeff488
07-01-2013, 18:34
OK, thanks.
Although I'm a noob, I figured out the socks thing pretty quickly. I will definitely have some along.
Fortunately we will have the ability to ensure that we stay overnight at lower elevations, if needed.

Nodust
07-01-2013, 18:49
It's amazing how clean dry socks will make you feel like new

Alamosa
07-01-2013, 19:23
Fortunately we will have the ability to ensure that we stay overnight at lower elevations, if needed.

Keeping in mind of course that "lower elevations" may be 6000-8000 feet, depending on the part of the state you are in, temperatures can still dip pretty good at night.

g2outdoors
07-06-2013, 19:30
In Colorado Springs (about 6,000 ft) the temps are getting into the mid-50s every night. A couple weeks ago I camped near treeline at almost 12K feet. The temps dipped into the mid to low 30s. Hope that helps.

sliver
07-06-2013, 20:04
I've gone twice in the last month and the temps got down to 40. But, I was camping at high altitude (8,000-10,000 ft) with no T-storms so it was very dry. I was using a 6 ft piece of reflectex in the double layer bottom of my WBRR and the black bag from the IMSS, which I believe is rated to 0 degrees for 8 hours.

If there had been more humidity, I would have definitely needed more insulation underneath me.

I think you're probably going to be just fine with what you have. Just remember that the weather here can change dramatically in a short period of time, especially in the mountains. The sun is intense so when it's shining it feels really hot. But, when a cloud eclipses it or it starts raining, it can get really cold really fast. Be prepared for that.

Jeff488
07-10-2013, 21:21
Thanks for all the replies.
I have been looking at the weather forecasts for Cripple Creek, Gunnison, Poncha Springs and Crested Butte.
They all show lows overnight to be mid to upper forties. That's fine with me.
With daily highs in the mid/upper 70's it will be a welcome relief form east Texas!
Most important is the lack of humidity.
We leave Sunday for Canon City and then it's an adventure.