PDA

View Full Version : AL Sipsey Hangout 3/13-3/15

angrysparrow
03-08-2009, 10:05
Hey everyone,

We need to get our plans made for the second Sipsey hangout next weekend!

I plan to be there sometime on Friday afternoon (2pm timeframe), and will stay until Sunday. Everyone is welcome to join me on Friday, but if you can't make it we will schedule another meetup on Saturday too.

There are a whole range of possible destinations. In the other trip report thread, places mentioned were the largest bluff shelters in Bankhead, or ShangriLa Falls, or Collier Creek Falls. Of course there are even more options.

What does everyone want to see? Want to do bushwhacking or trail walking? How much of either?

southmark
03-08-2009, 13:59
I plan to see you Friday afternoon. Just say where.

southmark
03-08-2009, 14:05
Just thought that I would toss a possible destination in the hat, White Creek Falls.

BillyBob58
03-08-2009, 14:06
Hey everyone,

There are a whole range of possible destinations. In the other trip report thread, places mentioned were the largest bluff shelters in Bankhead, or ShangriLa Falls, or Collier Creek Falls. Of course there are even more options.

What does everyone want to see? Want to do bushwhacking or trail walking? How much of either?

I can't make it, but If you get to some of these places mentioned above, somebody be sure to mark some GPS waypoints/coordinates to make it easier for me to find them later. Unless they are at obvious places on a map.

Hetairoi
03-08-2009, 14:15
I plan on being there late Friday evening, around 9 or 10 pm. Let's find out who's going, then we can figure out where, who's in?

skippy
03-08-2009, 17:00
I'm in for friday afternoon, just will be later on that afternoon

Bankheadboy
03-08-2009, 17:55
I just got back from Bankhead and the ticks and mosquitoes where all over me this weekend. We may need to stick with the main trails this weekend if it stays hot this week. Snakes will be out in full force! Southmark what is white creek falls near on the Sipsey map? I will try to get with Chemok tomorrow and get his pictures of our trip and of Sougahoagdee falls and post them. Thomas

southmark
03-08-2009, 18:06
Southmark what is white creek falls near on the Sipsey map? Thomas

First tributary downriver from the 201 Sipsey interection.

http://www.alatrails.com/photos/albums/userpics/10118/thumb_Lower_White_Creek_Falls2.jpg (http://www.alatrails.com/photos/albums/userpics/10118/Lower_White_Creek_Falls2.jpg)

bigbamaguy
03-08-2009, 19:11
Hey guys,

I might be able to make this one, work schedule is still to be determined!!!!!!!! Earliest I could make it would be Saturday morning.

Mrprez
03-08-2009, 20:21
As much as I'd like to head up that way, I may not be able to make it. I'll know more as the week progresses....

angrysparrow
03-08-2009, 20:45
Confirmed: angrysparrow, southmark, hetairoi, skippy, Ihangnbankhead
Possible: Grillmastertoo, bigbamaguy, MrPrez, DougTheElder + Friend

DougTheElder
03-09-2009, 08:10
I'm making plans to come on Friday (without "Friend"), but I'm gonna watch the weather...so far looks like about 40% chance of rain...that means 60% chance of no rain, right? We're expecting the same weather here at home, except we are probably a half day to a day later as the weather system moves West to East. Hopefully, it will move through a little faster rather than a little slower. Regardless, if rain is gonna keep me confined to quarters for the weekend, in a hammock, under a tarp, beside a beautiful waterfall, deep in the woods, with a good book doesn't sound too bad.

Bankheadboy
03-09-2009, 15:41
OK! here are some spots that are getting kick around. West bee branch & East bee branch & go see big tree, up and down hills short cut 2 miles, long way 5+ miles. Sougahoagdee falls + more falls on the way, almost two miles scenic route up Brushy creek. Feather Hawk falls almost 3 miles then day hike to deer skull falls, little ugly falls and fernglade falls. All of these should be open trails not counting blow down trees. Or we could go to the biggest bluff shelters in BH which is a half mile of road bed and then little over a 1/4 mile making a trail. Let's talk about here and come up with a plan! Thanks, Thomas

bigbamaguy
03-09-2009, 19:15
Friggin work schedule!!!!!! Looks like I will not make it this weekend. I will be hanging though up at Cherokee Rock Village in Leesburg. Its close enough that I can make it before dark and still get a site set up. You guys have fun, post the pics and I will catch ya'll later!

Collier
03-09-2009, 19:57
If y'all dont mind a new guy tagging along I might be in. I won't able to get there until sometime Saturday early afternoon though.

DougTheElder
03-10-2009, 08:33
As far as I'm concerned, you guys that know the area can decide what to do. I would prefer to have a relatively easy hike out on Sunday since I will be looking at a fairly long drive back home. But, if necessary, I can stay an extra day if that acommodates doing what the group wants to do. I'm just excited about making the trip.

Grillmastertoo
03-10-2009, 11:17
Another new guy here too...i cool with doing what the group wants...i too will be getting a late start on Sat, so I may just have to find yall on the trail Saturday afternoon.....

angrysparrow
03-10-2009, 11:53
I think that we really need to go ahead and set a destination. I'm up for pretty much any location.

Ihangnbankhead - You are as knowledgeable about Bankhead/Sipsey as anyone here, so why don't you pick a good destination and post it. We can then set meetup places and times.

New guys - we're glad to have you along. A word of caution, though. As per the last hangout we have a scheduled meetup on Frday afternoon at 2pm, and another at 9-9:30am on Saturday. Those meetup/departure times are certainly flexible, but early in the day is far better to allow everyone to see more. If you don't make the meetup and aren't familiar with the trails it may be a bit daunting for you, depending on where the destination is. Sipsey is a *big* place, and we aren't talking about a drive-up car camping event. We will do everything we can to not leave anyone out, though.

I'm really looking forward to getting out there again!

updated list -
Confirmed: angrysparrow, southmark, hetairoi, skippy, Ihangnbankhead, DougTheElder
Possible: Grillmastertoo, MrPrez, Collier

DougTheElder
03-10-2009, 13:48
Once the destinations for Friday and Saturday are set, it would be good to have the GPS coordinates (if anyone knows them) and extremely good directions for those of us who 1) have the potential to be late, and 2) have a sense of direction that encourages us to go the wrong way. I'm a poor liar and I'd never get a pass again if I told my wife I had wandered around lost in the rain all weekend. Then again, if I were really lost, I may not get to tell her anything!

angrysparrow
03-10-2009, 13:49
I'll be happy to provide maps, directions, and coordinates as best possible once the destination is set.

Hetairoi
03-10-2009, 14:40
I vote for either Sougahoagdee Falls area or coming in from Thompson Creek and hiking past Auburn Falls, Eye of the Needle and maybe up to East Bee Branch to the Big Tree. That should be pretty well open trails, not sure how easy those would be to find, but we could meet at a picnic area and drive over.

Any of the area's that hit the Sipsey trail (209?) should be easy to find and would have multiple entry points, making it easier for someone to catch up to us if they were late.

Just an idea. It doesn't really matter to me, but thought we might need to go ahead and get plans firmed up.

southmark
03-10-2009, 14:56
Well, I have been all over the Sipsey many times but Ihangnbankhead knows so many places that I have not seen. I'm happy with any destination. Just want to get out there and meet you guys.

DougTheElder
03-10-2009, 15:12
O.K. Ihanginbankhead, you da man! Speak!

Bankheadboy
03-10-2009, 16:51
I'm thinking lets go to a easy place for all to find! Sougahoagdee falls and go the scenic route! It has a nice bluff hangover if its raining! It's about a two mile hike on a old road bed. Its off Hwy 63 south of Grayson on Hickory Grove Rd. Turn at church with yellow tile on the outside, go down to bridge and park go up Brushy Creek. Thomas

Bankheadboy
03-10-2009, 17:06
Sougahoagdee falls is # 40 on the Carts-Craft map! Lat 34 15' 14" N Long 87 15' 51" W There is a short cut! that is a half mile! straight down going, straight up coming out! Ask sparrow and see what he thinks! If people want to go that way I'm in! But the scenic route will be more scenic! If things go good I will be in Moulton on Friday at noon!

angrysparrow
03-10-2009, 17:29
Sounds good to me!

I can attest to his shortcut, straight down going in, straight up coming out...great little walk. Maybe we can leave some of vehicles at each trail entrance, and shuttle around if anybody wants to take the shortcut out on Sunday.

For the meetup on Friday, to make it easy for everyone that hasn't been to Sougahoagdee, would you like to meetup somewhere else first? How about at the Sipsey River bridge on Cranal Rd (Hwy 60) and then either convoy or carpool to Sougahoagdee? Or somewhere else?

Bankheadboy
03-10-2009, 19:27
That sounds good about the car pooling, because theres not much parking at the Brushy Creek take out bridge. I also like the ideal of parking at both places long & short trail. If I go the short way I will mark it with pink ribbon so if anyone wants to come in late and get there fast they can go that way!

Mrprez
03-10-2009, 19:28
Looks like I will be there on Friday. I should be up in the area around 1PM or so.

Bankheadboy
03-10-2009, 19:48
I think the name of the church you turn by is called Moreland Baptist? It has a grave yard across the road in front of the church. Going south on 63 the church is on the left side. I will see you Friday Mr. Prez! I'm glad your coming be-careful on your drive up! Thomas

southmark
03-10-2009, 20:31
I'll see you on Friday around 1PM also.

angrysparrow
03-10-2009, 23:44
Updated attendance list -
Confirmed: angrysparrow, southmark, hetairoi, skippy, Ihangnbankhead, DougTheElder, MrPrez, Grillmastertoo
Possible: Collier

Are we going to spend both Friday and Saturday nights in the Sougahoagdee area? Would anyone like to go somewhere different on Friday night, before the Saturday meetup time, and then go to Sougahoagdee area on Saturday? What about Parker's Falls?

Just a thought - the shortcut into Parker's is only .6 of a mile one way. We could go there on Friday and camp, hike back to the cars on Saturday morning and meet the crew coming that day, then shuttle over to Sougahoagdee.

If everyone would prefer to spend both days in one place, though, I'm game for that too.

Suggested meetups -

Friday at the Sipsey River bridge (picnic area) on Hwy 60 at 2pm.
Saturday at the Sipsey River bridge at 9:30-10:00am.

I'll try to post specific directions and a map tomorrow.

Mrprez
03-11-2009, 06:35
Updated attendance list -
Confirmed: angrysparrow, southmark, hetairoi, skippy, Ihangnbankhead, DougTheElder, MrPrez, Grillmastertoo
Possible: Collier

Are we going to spend both Friday and Saturday nights in the Sougahoagdee area? Would anyone like to go somewhere different on Friday night, before the Saturday meetup time, and then go to Sougahoagdee area on Saturday? What about Parker's Falls?

Just a thought - the shortcut into Parker's is only .6 of a mile one way. We could go there on Friday and camp, hike back to the cars on Saturday morning and meet the crew coming that day, then shuttle over to Sougahoagdee.

If everyone would prefer to spend both days in one place, though, I'm game for that too.

Suggested meetups -

Friday at the Sipsey River bridge (picnic area) on Hwy 60 at 2pm.
Saturday at the Sipsey River bridge at 9:30-10:00am.

I'll try to post specific directions and a map tomorrow.

I'd like to see as many as possible, so for me Parker's Falls on Friday would be a good choice. Plenty of parking at the SRB as well.

Bankheadboy
03-11-2009, 07:11
Parker falls sounds good to me on Friday! Do you want to go the long way or short way? Just kidding!! Thomas

Bankheadboy
03-11-2009, 08:03
If we got time Friday we can go to Kinlock shelter and falls. Fast trip!

southmark
03-11-2009, 09:23
Parker Falls is great for Friday night. One of my favorite spots.

southmark
03-11-2009, 09:35
Some photos of Parker Canyon and Falls:

http://gallery.mac.com/dsouth#100126&bgcolor=black&view=grid

MacEntyre
03-11-2009, 16:50
I would REALLY like to see Sipsey... but, you see, I am an ACC basketball snob, and there's a tournament this weekend, after which there really is only token basketball.

angrysparrow
03-11-2009, 16:54
I would REALLY like to see Sipsey... but, you see, I am an ACC basketball snob, and there's a tournament this weekend, after which there really is only token basketball.

DVR! I'm going to watch when I get home.

MacEntyre
03-11-2009, 17:18
ACC basketball can only be watched live.

Hetairoi
03-11-2009, 17:52
down here there are only two sports .... Football and Football recruiting ;)

(actually, I'm a huge basketball fan, but my team sucks, and I went to a baseball game last night, where bama lost in the 9th to the barn 8-7, so we suck at that too, but at least St Nick won some recruiting wars)

MacEntyre
03-11-2009, 18:03
Football? What's that?

Oh, yeah, it's that the off-season game they have for the student athletes who can't play basketball, right?

Bankheadboy
03-11-2009, 19:20
The frist water falls are on the way to Sougahoagdee falls and Sougahoagdee falls, the 2ND trip of that weekend. And the last pictures are of the group that went to Fall creek falls.

Mrprez
03-11-2009, 19:29
Gotta love that hat Thomas!

MacEntyre
03-11-2009, 19:36
Wow! Everyone has beautiful Sipsey pictures! I have to see that place one day.

It tempts the heart of the fiercest basketball fan...

Mrprez
03-11-2009, 19:46
Come on and go hiking. You know that ACC BB isn't the same since Valvano and Dean!!!

MacEntyre
03-11-2009, 19:56
I'd be more tempted if not for this (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Huntsville&state=AL&site=HUN&textField1=34.707&textField2=-86.6277&e=1). Hiking and hanging will be fun no matter what, but driving 560 miles each way...

angrysparrow
03-11-2009, 20:08
I'd be more tempted if not for this (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Huntsville&state=AL&site=HUN&textField1=34.707&textField2=-86.6277&e=1). Hiking and hanging will be fun no matter what, but driving 560 miles each way...

I can't blame anyone for not making that kind of drive.

Rain in the Sipsey, though... They call it the land of a thousand waterfalls, and rain just makes it nicer IMO. I for one am glad for the forecast rain when I'm going there.

Mrprez
03-11-2009, 20:26

I forgot you were so far east. We'll take lots of pics...:)

Grillmastertoo
03-11-2009, 20:45
Im excited about this weekend....having not hiked in the Sougahoagdee area, im not familiar with the trailhead or short parking area....by looking at the map, am i correct in thinking that you park at the bridge area and then hike up the creek...is there a trail or is it a bushwack....if taking the shortcut, do you just park on the side of the road and then bushwack down the hill or is there a trail for that too?
Just curious.....It looks as though Collier and myself are catchng up beforehand and will be hiking in saturday afternoon....we should be at the trailehead no later than 1:00....
Looking forward to it....

angrysparrow
03-11-2009, 20:58
Im excited about this weekend....having not hiked in the Sougahoagdee area, im not familiar with the trailhead or short parking area....by looking at the map, am i correct in thinking that you park at the bridge area and then hike up the creek...is there a trail or is it a bushwack....if taking the shortcut, do you just park on the side of the road and then bushwack down the hill or is there a trail for that too?
Just curious.....It looks as though Collier and myself are catchng up beforehand and will be hiking in saturday afternoon....we should be at the trailehead no later than 1:00....
Looking forward to it....

You are correct - if you park at the bridge, you follow the creek. There is a trail.

The shortcut has a pulloff that's big enough to park a few vehicles. After the first 300 yards or so, there is no trail, but just follow the hill down. It's steep, but not too awful. Keep going down until you reach the stream, and then you'll be within a 1/4 mile of the falls.

From the list, I think you and Collier will be the only ones coming on Saturday? If I'm wrong about this, please let me know..

Friday Arrival: angrysparrow, southmark, hetairoi, skippy, Ihangnbankhead, DougTheElder, MrPrez

Saturday: Grillmastertoo, Collier

Looking forward to meeting all of you out there!

DougTheElder
03-11-2009, 21:08
but driving 560 miles each way...

MacEntyre, Just make the first 150 to Aiken...I'll take it from there. I'm leaving at 6:00AM Friday. Got plenty of room. DTE

MacEntyre
03-12-2009, 05:49
I'm leaving at 6:00AM Friday. Got plenty of room. DTE
Awful kind of you... thanks! When are you returning?

Aiken is 232 miles from Jamestown...

DougTheElder
03-12-2009, 07:49
Awful kind of you... thanks! When are you returning?

Aiken is 232 miles from Jamestown...

MacEntyre, I have no schedule other than to leave on time and enjoy the weekend. I would think that when I emerge from the woods on Sunday (assuming that I can still walk, breathe, remain conscious, etc.) that I will fire up my trusty highway cruiser and motor East. YahooMaps says Moulton is 401 miles from Aiken and I'm guessing that the trailhead is within 50 miles of Moulton. Looks like 6 1/2 or 7 hrs. DTE

angrysparrow
03-12-2009, 07:53
I'm guessing that the trailhead is within 50 miles of Moulton.

From Moulton to the Sipsey River Rec Area on Cranal Rd, it's less than 20 miles.

Grillmastertoo
03-12-2009, 09:42
Hey Guys--
SInce collier and I are the only ones coming in on Saturday, we can fend for our selfs if yall want to do a longer hike.......I dont want the two of us to hold up yall in case you want to do a distance hike...ie from point a to point b....It would be great to catch up with the group, but it is understandable if we just need to catch up with another hang out in the near future...
Allen

DougTheElder
03-12-2009, 10:29
Just to be sure of where the plans have landed...we're gonna meet at the Sipsey River Bridge on Hwy 60 at 2PM Friday, right? Since I'll be coming in from the South on I-65, will it be better to go to Moulton, or to Grayson?

Bankheadboy
03-12-2009, 11:03
Doug, I would take 65 to 278 drive west to 63 turn right go through Grayson wave at the Moreland church as you go by and hit 33 N go down the road a piece turn left on 60 or Cranal road and then left at the bottom of the hill in Sipsey upper parking lot. Sleet is hitting my widow right now out side! We should stay dry with the bluff hang overs at each camping spots. Grillmastertoo just stick with the plan and we will be alright! Sougahoagdee is easy to find and the water falls will be Great! Wear a rain suit!! or maybe just bring one!! Thomas

DougTheElder
03-12-2009, 11:30
IHNBH, Thanks. Going home now to fire up the smoker for some jerky. See y'all tomorrow. DTE

Bankheadboy
03-12-2009, 14:19
80 percent chance of rain Friday 52- high 44- low. Saturday 90% rain 60- high 50-low. Sunday 40% rain 63- high 50- low temp. Wear the rain suit!!! Who is going to be on the Not going list? My wife keeps telling me that I'm Nuts for going in the rain! But angrysparrow is right, the rain brings new life to the waterfalls and Great pictures! Thomas

Bankheadboy
03-12-2009, 14:23
Plus! I could go for a piece of that jerky!! Sounds good! Doug!! Is skippy going on this trip? where are you skippy?

angrysparrow
03-12-2009, 14:43
Plus! I could go for a piece of that jerky!! Sounds good! Doug!! Is skippy going on this trip? where are you skippy?

I talked to him on the phone this morning. Yes, he's coming...he's been on-call at work all week, so hasn't had time to read much.

southmark
03-12-2009, 14:49
What time are we to meet at the recreation area tomorrow?

angrysparrow
03-12-2009, 14:56
2pm is the target time, I think.

MacEntyre
03-12-2009, 15:46
MacEntyre, I have no schedule other than to leave on time and enjoy the weekend.
Thank you, but no, thank you, but thank you just the same! I'll have to pass on this one. My family needs me this weekend.

Take lots of pictures, and I'll be sure to make the next Sipsey trip. It's a whole new perspective on Alabama!

Hetairoi
03-12-2009, 16:05
So if I'm late tomorrow night, probably around 10pm, I'll find ya'll at Parker Falls? If I find any pigs in that pine thicket we'll have bacon for breakfast :)

Mrprez
03-12-2009, 16:07
BACON....mmmmm

Mrprez
03-12-2009, 16:08
Thank you, but no, thank you, but thank you just the same! I'll have to pass on this one. My family needs me this weekend.

Take lots of pictures, and I'll be sure to make the next Sipsey trip. It's a whole new perspective on Alabama!

We'll catch you next time then Mac...:D

sam4msu
03-12-2009, 16:39
Man, it SUCKS to have to work every other weekend!!! It never fails that whenever something is planned, it is planned for my weekend to work. You all have a great time!!!

Bankheadboy
03-12-2009, 16:47
For you guys coming in to Sougahoagdee falls late! Look for my white Chevy crew cab truck with TN plates. If I'm parked before you get to the bridge on the left, that means I took the short cut and I will flag the trail with pink ribbon. Easy to find! But straight down going!! If I'm parked at the bridge. Park there! Do Not!!! cross the bridge, go up creek with the the creek on your right hand side! You should always be able to see the Brushy creek on your right! Almost 2 miles Look for a branch about 12' wide go up it and you will see us on your right! If water is up go behind falls to get to us. Angrysporrow has a silver Toyota truck I don't know what state- TN ? I will see you guys tomorrow & Saturday! Look for this Goon with the funny hat! Thomas

Grillmastertoo
03-12-2009, 20:29
Hey Thomas---You keep referring to the shortcut being straight down...are you talking about having to use rope to get down or even back up? Jsut curious because im pretty sure we will be getting rain this weekend...The bham weather guessers are saynig 2-3 inches...Having not really camped in the rain, much less hung in the rain.....Im guessing the thing to do is keep the tarp in an outer pocket easily accesable so that first thing you do is hang the tarp and then work on hanging the rest....im in a clark nx 200, but i keep my tarp seperate from the hammock....until fully assembled....see yall saturday afternoon....
allen

angrysparrow
03-12-2009, 20:31
No, it's walking slowly steep, not rope-steep.

You're correct about the tarp too! Hang the tarp first, take it down last.

angrysparrow
03-15-2009, 16:38
Trip Report thread here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7696).