PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mtn. NP info

eagleJ
07-03-2013, 02:58
OK guys I am interested in a trip Aug.1 to RMNP how condusive is it for hanging a hammock? Any must do routes? All info will you can give will be helpful.

Loki
07-03-2013, 06:52
RMNP? EagleJ I'm lookin forward to the trip report from this one!

sr1355
07-03-2013, 07:23
PM easy_grounder, he's been spearheading our trip planning for RNMP this coming August as well...

sliver
07-06-2013, 20:53
Are you car camping or looking to hike in and camp?

I have found no restrictions on hanging a hammock in RMNP. When I talked to one of the rangers I was told there weren't any specific restrictions regarding hammocks. However, he said some rangers will check to see if you are using webbing straps around the trees to prevent damage.

If you camp in one of the campgrounds, you might have trouble finding a spot where the trees allow you to set up in the designated area.

If you plan on driving up a Forest Service road and camping, you really need to contact the ranger station for the area. There's a lot of beetle kill in some areas and sometimes they close them to clean up the trees. You wouldn't want to camp there anyway because there are 8-10ft high piles of cut up trees everywhere waiting to be hauled out.

HTH

Scottybdiving
07-06-2013, 21:00
I haven't been there since before I was hanging. My overall impression is that it shouldn't be a problem. I do remember fondly, hiking up Estes Cone. It is a small peak with a killer 360 degree view. It was pretty easy, marked with cairns, and with a small amount of class III near the summit.

eagleJ
07-08-2013, 15:28
I haven't been there since before I was hanging. My overall impression is that it shouldn't be a problem. I do remember fondly, hiking up Estes Cone. It is a small peak with a killer 360 degree view. It was pretty easy, marked with cairns, and with a small amount of class III near the summit.
That's kind of what I thought, I've been to the Sierras several times and did not have any issues. Looking at the map the terrain looks similar.

Are you car camping or looking to hike in and camp?

I have found no restrictions on hanging a hammock in RMNP. When I talked to one of the rangers I was told there weren't any specific restrictions regarding hammocks. However, he said some rangers will check to see if you are using webbing straps around the trees to prevent damage.

If you camp in one of the campgrounds, you might have trouble finding a spot where the trees allow you to set up in the designated area.

If you plan on driving up a Forest Service road and camping, you really need to contact the ranger station for the area. There's a lot of beetle kill in some areas and sometimes they close them to clean up the trees. You wouldn't want to camp there anyway because there are 8-10ft high piles of cut up trees everywhere waiting to be hauled out.

HTH
We are planning on backpacking starting day1, maybe 10 to 15 miles pd. currently considering a loop from Bear Lake TH to the CDT back around Longs peak.

moonshinebishop
07-09-2013, 14:17
I go backpacking in RMNP often, almost everywhere we have gone the trees have been fine. There is a lot of beetle kill in the trees (widow maker galore), but finding a place for the hammock has never been an issue. I have had rangers check both my tree straps and snoop around to see if we had a fire. Bear canisters required, but we have never been called on that one.

Oms
07-14-2013, 06:08
We will also be out in Colorado at the end of this month and have been looking for a loop trail. Mostly thinking RMNP. Any good 20 mile loops recommended?

unclerusty
07-15-2013, 22:00
We will also be out in Colorado at the end of this month and have been looking for a loop trail. Mostly thinking RMNP. Any good 20 mile loops recommended?

http://www.coloradofiremaps.com
This site may be helpful to you in your planning. We've been having some pretty hefty afternoon squalls lately. Rain-Hail-Bolts... Heavy rains around old fire zones are high risk for mud slides and flooding. Beatles are working their way from north to south. If you are still thinking of RMNP, I was up north of chambers lake on co103 mid June for a 7day solo. Posted album photos today. Small oasis of life in the middle of armageddon.

Ryan4756
07-16-2013, 01:29
I just hammock camped there a few months ago. If at the campground/ RV sites, the designated spots are small square sites for 1-3 tents to bed down on each numbered site. They are "raised" with a clay like ground with a 4x4 marking the perimeter of each spot, about 10'x10' approximately. These are the only spots in the campground that you can hang a hammock over, after talking to the ranger there. So, trees must align with these spots. I know, llllllllllaaaaaaaaaaame.

I got in late and didn't see the ranger, read the rules, paid my fee and camped happily on one of the numbered site's overlooks that had the properly spaced trees. The next morning the ranger drove up and explained the above rules. She said that the tree straps do damage the trees to some degree and walking off path and off the designated square tent site creates erosion, which is bad for the environment. I guess those gas guzzling, pollution spewing, carbon yielding, unrecyclable, hazerdous, synthetic products used in all the millions of RVs and campers, that create holes in the earth are good for the environment? They are allowed but not a few pieces of recycleable sil nylon??? Fail!!!

She then took interest in my hammock setup, where I enlightened her interest before I inquired on how to allow hammock designated sites in the park, where all they have are just ones for tents and RVs. She said it would take an act of congress. So, anyone know or are related to a member of congress?

If filing for a back country permit away from stupid roads that carry RVs, I imagine you will be just fine, as others above have said. Good luck and don't miss out on RMNP, do it and do it in a hammock!!

Oms
07-18-2013, 05:29
Thanks for the input. We will be backpacking for five days. Really looking forward to it. Hopefully the fires wont effect us.

Oms
07-18-2013, 06:07
Hey Unclerusty did you post pics of your CO trip? Couldn't find them.

unclerusty
07-18-2013, 07:13
Hey Unclerusty did you post pics of your CO trip? Couldn't find them.

Well I thought I did. This is the first forum I ever participated in so probably messed something up. Look for my album 103b on my profile page (it's the only album). It should have been set as public.

eagleJ
07-18-2013, 16:04
Thanks for your input guys. Two weeks and I will be out there. Probably be doing grand loop from backpacker.com

dakotaross
07-18-2013, 16:38
Do you have reservations for the backcountry sites?

I'm familiar with the Flattop Mt to Andrews pass and down through Loch Vale area if any of that is part of your route.

This guy would be a good resource, too...

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
http://pmags.com
Twitter: @pmagsco
Facebook: pmags

Oms
07-19-2013, 06:00
Hey EagleJ, if you see two bald guys and two young lads, it could be me. We will be out there that week. Happy hanging!

sdwphoto
07-19-2013, 11:13
I'll be joining the party at RMNP during that time also, and trying out a hammock for the first time there--I'm set for a week of sunrise/sunset shooting and figured a hammock would be a good way to get some rest in between, which led me here :)

As to locations from the OP: IMO, there's a reason why the Bear lake area is the most popular in the park. Hard to go wrong there. Mills is another really scenic hike and gateways to some other good places if you want to go longer.

Oms
07-19-2013, 17:31
Does anyone know if I need to reserve campsites on the trail ahead of time or can I just go to the ranger station and tell them I'll be out that way. First come, first serve?

Oms
07-21-2013, 13:38
It really is tough trying to plan a trip. RMNP has this form to fill out and send in for campsite reservations. First it's difficult to figure terrain and distances, then you mail it in and hope it's not taken. That is a lot of time to spend on something not guaranteed.

Spoke with staff who said hammocks where fine :D, bear canisters are required :thumbdown: and petroleum stoves only :(. I was looking forward to using my new wood burner.

Has anyone ever done the Baker/Bowen Gulch Loop? It starts on the west end of the park, but quickly moves to Roosevelt Forest (?). Images I have seen show a lot of above tree line hiking and tents? This of course won't work for 4 hammocks :eek:

Hope you others are having better luck then I am. We are looking to do around 20-25 miles with four nights out. Going over a nice ridge with a vista would be awesome :boggle:. Probably will just go over to Grand Lake and see what's available.

Oms
07-27-2013, 12:06
And here we go:D:D You all have fun! Remember, two bald guys with two boys. See you on the trail:)

eagleJ
07-30-2013, 17:54
And here we go:D:D You all have fun! Remember, two bald guys with two boys. See you on the trail:)

I'll keep my eyes open, have a good trip

eagleJ
08-01-2013, 06:31
On the plane, Denver here I come

sr1355
08-01-2013, 06:45
Rats!!! I'm one week behind you... We could have had a RMNP Hang...:D

eagleJ
08-06-2013, 19:50
Back home safe and sound. Had a great trip, beautiful up in the northern area no where near as crowded. Hope to post up some pics and report soon.

eagleJ
08-06-2013, 19:51
Rats!!! I'm one week behind you... We could have had a RMNP Hang...:D

Hope your trip goes as well as ours.

sr1355
08-06-2013, 20:05
Hope your trip goes as well as ours.

Leave Friday AM, west side of park is the plan up the Camp July. Can't wait for a dip in Big Pool...:D Sounds like you had a good trip, be sure to do a trip report when you can...

Oms
08-07-2013, 12:28
We did the baker/Bowen loop in the Never Summer Wilderness. Most of the trip was around 10000 with peaks in the 11000 ft range. Awesome views, no restrictions, plenty of places to hang. Will try to get a tr out with pics. Eagle glad you had as much fun as us. Paul, hope your trip goes well.

eagleJ
08-07-2013, 13:42
We did the baker/Bowen loop in the Never Summer Wilderness. Most of the trip was around 10000 with peaks in the 11000 ft range. Awesome views, no restrictions, plenty of places to hang. Will try to get a tr out with pics. Eagle glad you had as much fun as us. Paul, hope your trip goes well.

Here is the pic taken of me atop the Saddle that is the NSW in the background
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--YPc2Yin3c4/UgJPYfWBVqI/AAAAAAAAEHA/__aeWoAzWlw/s1024/P8030121.JPG

sr1355
08-07-2013, 14:11
Thanks for the pic :cool: Head to TH Sat afternoon... WOOT!!!!!!!

Oms
08-07-2013, 17:39
We did some ridge hiking :D Pretty intense stuff. I'm having trouble downloading pictures. I'm sure it's user error :confused:

eagleJ
08-07-2013, 18:01
Here's one of the paths we came down.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8Kwj2tf1yDo/UgJPir_WmTI/AAAAAAAAEIE/CquJ0aXn50g/s1024/P8030129.JPG